TV RGB mod thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Kabal2X

Re: TV RGB mod thread

Post by Kabal2X »

MikeIronFist wrote:Kabal, just wanted to add: I've seen colors in my OSD get weird and blocky like that when I change the "DRGB" setting in the service menu to 1, which presumably enables digital RGB. So it might seem silly to try this, but see if there's a DRGB item in your service menu and see if you can set it to 0. This is total guesswork but since I've seen IC switchable digital RGB once already, I think it might be worth checking before you do any more soldering. If it's not changeable in the service menu then you can still try the other pins (16, 17, 18) as recommended and see what you get.
Sadly I tried this and there's only a small difference. I already had it set to 0; when set to 1, I lose one bar of color in the 240P Test Suite (4 last color bars when set to 0, only the last 3 when set to 1). Thanks a lot anyway! I just ordered an alternative remote for my TV, so I can use all of its functions without messing with service mode.
Syntax wrote:
Kabal2X wrote:
Syntax wrote:Kinda looks like you put the wrong voltage to blanking and its going into Half-tone.

Hmm I'm using 5v to blanking, pin 9 of CXA1313S. The diagram says .1v, does this means its actually expecting 0.1v? Thanks Syntax, I have a feeling this may be the problem. Is there a way to know how much voltage I need to put there?

For blanking you need 5v going through a 180R resistor then a 75R termination to ground before the blanking pin normally.

But from the document you posted it seems you are bypassing the brightness control and clamping of the jungle by not using pins 16 17 18. Could be the issue. Blanking seems to be Ys which is pin 15
Alright, I printed the schematics to analize the new pins, and will probably do the new installation next week. I will update with results. I also have to fix a sporadic pincushion problem. Hopefully just a dry solder.

Thanks all for your help
digitron

Post by digitron »

MarkOZLAD wrote: Any pics with the OSD on top of your external RGB?
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

Luverly

"Imagine toggle switch OSD modding a TV in 2019" - maxtherabbit
digitron

Post by digitron »

MarkOZLAD wrote:Luverly
Mark, whats your opinion/advice on RG-6/RG-59 RCA cables for the RGB connection? Are they snake oil or do you think it will be an improvement over my uber-cheap RCA cables?

Considering I have loose wires running the RGB hack inside the chassis, I'm doubtful they'd help but they're cheap enough to try I guess..

MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

I use some kind of shielded wire for all my mods these days. I try and pick up cheap cables wherever I can. Recycle centres, people selling cable bundles on Marketplace.

This one was done for a model that has a text port.

maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

MarkOZLAD wrote:I use some kind of shielded wire for all my mods these days. I try and pick up cheap cables wherever I can. Recycle centres, people selling cable bundles on Marketplace.

This one was done for a model that has a text port.

that's really nice
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

maxtherabbit wrote:that's really nice
Thanks, you tend to get better every time you do one.

That one was done using Tim’s pattern for 0.5V, thus the 24R and 51R.

The header takes the 5V. I really didn’t need to go with a pot for blanking but I guess I felt like it on the day.

digitron

Post by digitron »

MarkOZLAD wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:that's really nice
Thanks, you tend to get better every time you do one.

That one was done using Tim’s pattern for 0.5V, thus the 24R and 51R.

The header takes the 5V. I really didn’t need to go with a pot for blanking but I guess I felt like it on the day.
That's a really good idea.

I went through my Toshiba TV last night checking the ESR values on the e-cap's and surprisingly almost all the larger caps where good. All the caps on the neck board were good too. The geometry on this thing is off but I think it's just the way it's gonna be even after fiddle-farting with the settings in service mode, there are about 36k hours on this Toshiba.

One thing I don't like is how I have the resistor wire soldered directly to the RCA connector, its a flimsy connection and it's a pain when opening the back shell of the TV. Not a big deal since hopefully I won't have to service it much.

If I find another freebie TV to do a RGB mod again, I'm going to rethink how I run the wires to the TV the next time.

It's all good fun anyways. :)
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

There really are two parts to the mod, the first is to work out how the electronics need to work, the second is to find a safe, robust and elegant way to implement the mod.

digitron

Post by digitron »

MarkOZLAD wrote:There really are two parts to the mod, the first is to work out how the electronics need to work, the second is to find a safe, robust and elegant way to implement the mod.
Absolutely, I was very close to sacrificing the front composite rca's then realized I would still have to run sync to the rear of the enclosure, otherwise re-purposing another video input in the back would allow the removal off the TV enclosure and reduce the length of the overall wiring. Have you done it that way before?
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

I’ve done it so many ways now. I’ve used headers/terminals internally, I’ve done cutouts and custom plates installed in the case. Scart is actually good to install because it can be unscrewed from the outside and fall inside - the issues are making the scart shaped cutout and closing the case but Syntax is the king of this method and I’m not going to steal his thunder.

I’ve started using panel mount female to female RCA. I put male RCA’s on the end of my internal shielded wiring.

metralla19

Post by metralla19 »

Hi Guys!

I recently purchased a pvm monitor whose model is: JVC TM-A101G.
This monitor does not have output rgb, but my question is if it is possible to make a modification to the board to get RGB, and in that case, what kind of modification should be made.

I leave a link with the schematic of the board whose chip appears to have an analog RGB output.

Schematic: https://drive.google.com/open?id=198V3M ... FAw38x4pOm

Thank you very much!
digitron

Post by digitron »

MarkOZLAD wrote:I’ve done it so many ways now. I’ve used headers/terminals internally, I’ve done cutouts and custom plates installed in the case. Scart is actually good to install because it can be unscrewed from the outside and fall inside - the issues are making the scart shaped cutout and closing the case but Syntax is the king of this method and I’m not going to steal his thunder.

I’ve started using panel mount female to female RCA. I put male RCA’s on the end of my internal shielded wiring.
Mark, my horizontal pin cushion is off. I checked the service manual for the 27AF45 and nothing noted regarding the pincushion adjustment. I checked the service menu, nothing. Is there something on the board to check? Appreciate it.

thrasherx

Post by thrasherx »

Looking for advice on RGB Modding my Sony KV35S42. I've seen the OSD Mux diagram and chart. If I understand the idea correctly, it's to get the mixed video down to 700 mV. Here's the schematic from my TV.

Am I to replace R064/R065/R066 with larger value resistors from the table, and replace R1355/R1356/R1357 with corresponding values? All 6 resistors are 0805 surface mount, which isn’t a problem, just was expecting through hole components. The TV is from 1999 though so it’s a later model standard definition CRT.

Any guidance would be appreciated!
m.andrade1

Post by m.andrade1 »

Help with Interference on RGB osd mux Lg 20” cp-20b85

Hello Guys
With the help of a very good friend Mark, i was able to mod a Lg 20” cp-20b85 Rgb osd mux the chassi is MC-83a, the process was perfect except with a noise with a "S" dancing pattern that is occuring specialy with solid background, below is the album with the instalation and examples with that interference.

Will try to describe the walkthru that Mark and i did on this chassi:
a) This mod was intend to run with a pc with an ATI-5450 (patched with 15khz) and CRt_Emudriver 2.0 beta 10 on windows 7
b) took of the RF modulator to avoid any future interference, and on that spot solder GNG (pin 10) from vga
c) Used the 5v from RF to feed R50 to trigger the FB
d) Sync did the twist on pins 13 and 14 with 1k in each them twisted togheter and run it on AV central pin
e) bring colours from VGA direct in a 75ohms already exist spot in chassi near rgb resistor (220ohs) on chassi.

To try to show Mark the interference with a very good way not only as a "ghost" on background i put a pot 10k on 5v source, and when you turn it almost to make trigger disappear or oposite almost to trriger on, the real "S" dancing interference pattern show all in it´s glory.

Album with instalation: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Qkxyc2ptez2guZxH7

So if anyone have some idea or a clue that we can do to try to minime or solve that interference will be extreme glad!

OBS: I even try to put some ceramic caps (pf ones) that was supposed to be in chassi but was not, to try to minimize the interference, but unfortunely did nothing, image stays with same interference.

Thanks a lot
Marcos
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

digitron wrote:
MarkOZLAD wrote:I’ve done it so many ways now. I’ve used headers/terminals internally, I’ve done cutouts and custom plates installed in the case. Scart is actually good to install because it can be unscrewed from the outside and fall inside - the issues are making the scart shaped cutout and closing the case but Syntax is the king of this method and I’m not going to steal his thunder.

Mark, my horizontal pin cushion is off. I checked the service manual for the 27AF45 and nothing noted regarding the pincushion adjustment. I checked the service menu, nothing. Is there something on the board to check? Appreciate it.

Did you try service mode options.

If they are encoded like sony service you will have to find the options legend.

The option should be there though.

To enter service mode: press both Vol (-) Min & No. 9 on remote for more than 2 second.
Copyright 1987
digitron

Post by digitron »

Hoagtech wrote:
digitron wrote:

Did you try service mode options.

If they are encoded like sony service you will have to find the options legend.

The option should be there though.

To enter service mode: press both Vol (-) Min & No. 9 on remote for more than 2 second.
Hey Hoagtech, thanks for the reply. Yep, I went through every single option on the Service menu and there is every option listed except for the Pincushion or East/West adjustment. Pretty frustrating...Then I went through the Service Manual to see if there is any mention of "pincushion" and struck out.

EDIT - I found a bad cap in the deflection circuit. I just ordered all the e-caps in the deflection circuit. I'll replace them and report back.
digitron

Post by digitron »

Mark, I'm thinking about picking up a Sony KD-27FS170 locally, can you please confirm if I can do the RGB mod on this unit? Ty
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

I'm taking a break.

Pikkon

Post by Pikkon »

Had a look at the KD-27FS170 service manual and that tv has no rgb inputs unfortunately.
digitron

Post by digitron »

MarkOZLAD wrote:I'm taking a break.
Enjoy your break Mark! :)

I recapped the Deflection circuit on my Toshiba that you helped me convert. One of the pads on a cap which feeds the IC was lifted so I think that's what caused (or increased the chances of) the burning out of the IC. I repaired the pad/scraped the traces and tested continuity to the IC pads. Replacement IC is in the mail, I think it was the culprit with my pincushion issue (but we'll find out for sure here pretty soon).
Pikkon wrote:Had a look at the KD-27FS170 service manual and that tv has no rgb inputs unfortunately.
Appreciate it very much. We went and picked up the unit, it looks great minus some very slight geometry issues, got my MiSTer connected via component and it's working great.

This KD-27FS170 is the SD CRT and manufacturer date of 2006, it's really great.

Free TV and free stand :)

https://imgur.com/HZjH4xO
Pikkon

Post by Pikkon »

My buddy has the same tv and it's a really nice set,also the tv can do pal in color over component.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

I just got a Commodore 64 and 1702 Commodore Monitor which has separate Luma and chroma channels.

Is this RGB moddable? I love the stable image on it.

If not can I convert RBG 240P into S-video 240P?

If not convert, Can i get a progressive image from s-video from my consoles or is it console specific? EX: 3DO needs to be modded for progressive video.

I don't mind the color space I don't want interlaced.
Copyright 1987
Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

Hoagtech wrote:I just got a Commodore 64 and 1702 Commodore Monitor which has separate Luma and chroma channels.

Is this RGB moddable? I love the stable image on it.

If not can I convert RBG 240P into S-video 240P?

If not convert, Can i get a progressive image from s-video from my consoles or is it console specific? EX: 3DO needs to be modded for progressive video.

I don't mind the color space I don't want interlaced.
The 1702 was manufactured before on-screen-display was incorporated into CRTs, hacking in RGB would involve cutting into the chroma output circuit attached to the guns of the tube. Not impossible, but if you had to ask without consulting the service manual that's readily available through a web search...

I recommend this board for converting RGBS (and RGBHV!) to s-video & composite. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Arcade- ... 47877.html

The Commodore 1702 is certainly a lovely and robust little monitor, I still have the one I grew up with.
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

https://immerhax.com/?p=185
metralla19 wrote:Hi Guys!

I recently purchased a pvm monitor whose model is: JVC TM-A101G.
This monitor does not have output rgb, but my question is if it is possible to make a modification to the board to get RGB, and in that case, what kind of modification should be made.

I leave a link with the schematic of the board whose chip appears to have an analog RGB output.

Schematic: https://drive.google.com/open?id=198V3M ... FAw38x4pOm

Thank you very much!

RileySkye100

Post by RileySkye100 »

Hello everyone.

I came upon this from a reference at NintendoAge about modding my Emerson EMC1902 CRT TV for RGB. I was given some idea of what to look for on the motherboard of the TV. I was also told that my RGB signal could be digital. So they suggested some help here. I'm not a professional at this as my soldering skills are average. I have a PDF of the schematics of my TV, but I need assistance in knowing what points to work with and what I would need for materials and such for this mod. If I can't put in an attachment, I'll just put a link to the PDF of the schematics. I'm really interested in what you all can contribute to this project.

Emerson EMC1902 Service Manual: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10719 ... ct-EWC1902
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

I was driving home yesterday and spotted a FREE sign on this Sony Trinitron KV-27TS29.

I noticed it did not have component but only RCA composite and RF.

Because there is no remote I could not find any buttons to access the menu.

Is this TV RGB capable?

Also I tried looking through schematics and I was a little overwhelmed trying to find the Video IC.

Has someone dealt with this model before and know what parts to buy for this model.

This would be my first time attempting an RGB mod.
Copyright 1987
LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay »

Hoagtech wrote:I was driving home yesterday and spotted a FREE sign on this Sony Trinitron KV-27TS29.

I noticed it did not have component but only RCA composite and RF.

Because there is no remote I could not find any buttons to access the menu.

Is this TV RGB capable?

Also I tried looking through schematics and I was a little overwhelmed trying to find the Video IC.

Has someone dealt with this model before and know what parts to buy for this model.

This would be my first time attempting an RGB mod.
My guess is yes it's possible, but I don't think I've seen a record of someone else doing that chassis in this thread yet. There will be some investigation and learning involved, whether it's a good first time project probably depends on your patience and ability to troubleshoot on your own.
digitron

Post by digitron »

Hoagtech wrote: Because there is no remote I could not find any buttons to access the menu.
Just wanted to throw this out there as I picked up a free CRT a while back that didn't come with remote. If you have an old Direct TV remote, they're universal/programmable once you locate the correct code via the Googles. :D
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

I found the service manual for the Trinitron.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/12876 ... e=5#manual

I have no idea what I'm looking at though.

Where would I find the injection point on these schematics?
Copyright 1987