Sakuna: a game by dev house Edelweiss of Astebreed fame

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Frenetic

Sakuna: a game by dev house Edelweiss of Astebreed fame

Post by Frenetic »

Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin
Platformer/Rice Planting/Harvesting/Polishing Game?!?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTkKiY6RgAM

It's been in the works since last year, so hopefully it comes out this year.

Boss fights have a bit of bullet dodging elements. I really like quirky mechanics so the Harvest Moon-esque farming simulation part sounds rad.
Immryr

Re: Sakuna: a game by dev house Edelweiss of Astebreed fame

Post by Immryr »

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, looks pretty interesting. Edelweiss seem to make incredibly polished games for a small doujin team.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

I heard of this from a @CanYouPetTheDog tweet: https://twitter.com/CanYouPetTheDog/sta ... 3312366592

Didn't know that Edelweiss were behind it!
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

I was psyched after viewing the first preview trailer, then I watched the recent E3 one and heard those stupid voices. So inane to push those infantile cartoon voices, I can't stand them. There better be an option to turn those off.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

The sheer amount of hype I have seen for this game, ever since it was revealed all those months ago, is incredible. I don't think most of the hype generators realize this dev made Astebreed, either. Kind of a shame, honestly...
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

Sakuna: of Rice and Ruin, finally! https://www.amazon.com/Sakuna-Rice-Ruin ... 232&sr=8-1

Edelweiss studied Japanese agricultural farming guides to make the rice farming part of the game as fun as they could! https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ ... e-and-ruin
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

I was looking forward to this. Amazon shipped the collector's editions in a flimsy envelope. Mine as well as plenty of other people's arrived trashed. Had to send it back.
Having had a preview of the art book (with its bent dog-eared corners) I opted for a refund and will just get the standard edition. The art book is rather bland. Sure there are neat character images, but they are just plainly pasted along the pages, there is no artistry to the layout of the book.
I'm not even sure about the game at this point. The developer and theme draw me in, but I'm afraid the farming aspect may be too tedious.
Nonetheless, it seems this is a once in a generation "special" game, and that I'll actually learn some things from playing it, so I'm still going to give it a go.
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

It really is a special game. I'm getting drawn more and more into rice cultivation. It is so beautiful, I feel like I'm actually living in the countryside...
Koa Zo wrote:Nonetheless, it seems this is a once in a generation "special" game, and that I'll actually learn some things from playing it, so I'm still going to give it a go.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Visuals look good. The setting and theme sound really nice too. Hopefully there's a solid game to go along with all of that.
kitten

Post by kitten »

a couple friends had been talking about this, so i placed an order on it - should be here in a week or so. frankly, i'm not impressed at all with the combat, looks a lot like vanillaware shit. but hot damn, i want to cultivate some rice 0-0;;; whacking doofuses in-between upgrading my stats with the rice farming and growing primarily through that seems like a satisfying enough activity loop.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
floralcateyes

Post by floralcateyes »

Forum member Zaaarock posted some gameplay vids from the optional(?) dungeon if you wanna see the combat in action. I personally couldn't get into the combat and eventually dropped the game, but only because my laptop wasn't up to spec and had around half a second of input lag. But the further in you get, the wider your moveset becomes, and I could see the potential for some really fun fights.

The rice planting is... oddly engaging? The controls for planting saplings... could be improved. And some parts are literally just the same 3-button QTE over and over again. But it's relaxing in that weird, busywork way. And I like how the sudden appearance of rain in the middle of a stage can either make me panic or sigh with relief, depending on the season and what I'm trying to do with my rice.

Was ambivalent on how separated the rice planting and the combat felt. As far as I could tell, the extent of their connection was that certain enemy drops could be included in your fertilizer to improve certain aspects of your rice. And you boost your combat stats by cultivating a good harvest. Want more HP? Focus on increasing your yield, usually at the cost of lower quality rice. Want to increase some other stat? Use only high quality seeds, plant fewer saplings, and mix up batches of fertilizer using ingredients that improve your chosen stat. On the one hand, it feels kinda tacked-on. On the other hand, it still sorta incentivizes doing good in both halves.

Also kinda disappointed that (from what I payed anyway) you can only make brown and white rice. There are so many different kinds of rice, so it would've been nice to have the option to make those. But the game does take inspiration from a specific kind of rice cultivation from a specific time period in a specific country, so that's excusable.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Watching a friend play this actually reminded me of a modern day (but much cutesier) Actraiser in that "god manages his peeps half the time, slaughters his way through demons in sidescrolling action extravaganza in the other half" kind of way.

Definitely on my radar for when I have less stuff vying for my attention.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.