Xbox One Backwards Compatibility - Vote for 360 shmups here

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
kassj0peja

Re: Xbox One Backwards Compatibility - Vote for 360 shmups h

Post by kassj0peja »

Today was announced that the backwards compatibility team moves on and works on Scarlett. Many 360 shmups did not make to Xbox One.

Will you keep your 360 consoles?
prophetic

Post by prophetic »

kassj0peja wrote:Today was announced that the backwards compatibility team moves on and works on Scarlett. Many 360 shmups did not make to Xbox One.

This news makes no difference to me today. I was always going to keep my 360 and J360. Hopefully when they die, true BC will be working.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

When they die, emulation will be working :wink:
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

Yeah, that killed the remaining small traces of hope there was to get those shmups working on xbox one or later device.

I like xbone, game pass is great value for money and all that, but for shmup fans it's clearly to worst of the three current gen consoles. Most shmups, which are not available on PS4 or Switch, are BC 360 titles and for those you are probably better off with having actual 360 as even non-japan one gives you more shmup options.

But no, not selling mine as it's never been my main shmup machine and after M2STG series stopped on it, it was clear it was very highly unlikely it ever is going be (having those 360 shmups ported started to look more and more unrealistic after time passed by)
bcass

Post by bcass »

kassj0peja wrote:Today was announced that the backwards compatibility team moves on and works on Scarlett. Many 360 shmups did not make to Xbox One.

Link?
kassj0peja

Post by kassj0peja »

Which shmups did not make it the BC program finally?
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Probably a good chunk. They only got to a subset of the library as it is, and we're niche, with plenty of licensing issues thrown in.
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

kassj0peja wrote:Which shmups did not make it the BC program finally?
a lot, Eschatos, Ginga Force, all cave outside Guwange, Under Defeat HD, Raiden Fighter Aces, both Ottomedius games, Castle of Shikigami 3, Raiden IV, Strike Witches etc.
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

Raiden IV works.
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

Astro City II wrote:Raiden IV works.
true, had error in that one, forgotten it already
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

From what I understand Scarlett will work with all Xbox games from every generation. Not just those made for XB1 backwards compatibility. But I imagine they will still be region locked because that is on the Game Disc.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Also I read it is up to the publishers / developers to contact Microsoft to get their games backwards compatible.

Most do not even care (Cave) or some might not exist anymore.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Also fun trick. For region locked games. Change your region to Japan and they will work on your Xbox One. Good way to test them. Import Raiden IV will not boot up in USA region but when I change the region to Japan it will.
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

Tokyo-J wrote:Also fun trick. For region locked games. Change your region to Japan and they will work on your Xbox One. Good way to test them. Import Raiden IV will not boot up in USA region but when I change the region to Japan it will.
I have an import Raiden IV game and EUR account, the game boots without any problem. What is the last time you tried it? I think early this year all bc games received a patch with included free region
Working in the japanese language achievement
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

jandrogo wrote:
Tokyo-J wrote:Also fun trick. For region locked games. Change your region to Japan and they will work on your Xbox One. Good way to test them. Import Raiden IV will not boot up in USA region but when I change the region to Japan it will.
I have an import Raiden IV game and EUR account, the game boots without any problem. What is the last time you tried it? I think early this year all bc games received a patch with included free region
I will have to try that. It was when it was first added.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Tokyo-J wrote:Also I read it is up to the publishers / developers to contact Microsoft to get their games backwards compatible.
It was not up to them to initiate but their permission was necessary, for the obvious IP/legal reasons.

Anyway, there is clearly a sea change here and we've no way to know which procedures still apply. I'm not taking their announcement as meaning there will never be more 360 games added, but this will obviously only happen after they've ensured everything already out there is good to go on Scarlett. So not for a damn long time - then we'll see how much interest they have in expanding 360 support for the new gen and beyond.