Contra: Rogue Corps

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
xxx1993

Contra: Rogue Corps

Post by xxx1993 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RInYDl8HsQU

I don't care in the least what people think or feel about this game. Who cares about Konami's bad rep? Why should it matter? And ignore the outdated graphics, games like The King of Fighters XIV (formally) had that. I'm looking forward to this one. The girl narrating in the trailer kinda reminds me of D.Va from Overwatch or Peni Parker from Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. And I love the use of Twisted Sister's "We're Not Gonna Take It". Gameplay wise, it seems to take inspiration from Neo Contra. The game also appears to be set around the same time as Contra 4 in terms of events. Also, is it me or do the main protagonists remind me of the Guardians of the Galaxy or the Suicide Squad?
Brainpalace

Re: Contra: Rogue Corps

Post by Brainpalace »

There is a lot of animosity towards Konami for various reasons, but I do have some good news about Contra Rogue Corps:

https://twitter.com/EMannLand/status/11 ... 1627151360

According to this twitter post from one of the artists working on the game, Nobuya Nakazato is directing. He was the director for Rocket Knight Adventures, as well as Contra 3 and Hard Corps as mentioned in the twitter post.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Cannon Spike 2?
I'll give it a go!
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Looks like crap...
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Brainpalace wrote:There is a lot of animosity towards Konami for various reasons, but I do have some good news about Contra Rogue Corps:

According to this twitter post from one of the artists working on the game, Nobuya Nakazato is directing. He was the director for Rocket Knight Adventures, as well as Contra 3 and Hard Corps as mentioned in the twitter post.
Oh wait, so it _IS_ an outsourced title? Crapz.
So much for my slim hopes.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

The only thing that peeves me about the game is that it's yet again ANOTHER prequel. It takes place after Alien Wars, but before Hard Corps and apparently around the same time as 4.

Edit: Apparently I was wrong about it taking place the same time as 4. I heard 4 has been retconned to take place six months after Alien Wars as opposed to two years.
Last edited by xxx1993 on Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Special World

Post by Special World »

this trailer makes me wonder if konami doesn't understand contra, or if it's me who doesn't understand contra
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

Special World wrote:this trailer makes me wonder if konami doesn't understand contra, or if it's me who doesn't understand contra
Depends which Contra you mean. Oldschool Contra this ain't, Neo Contra meets Platinum Games wackiness - more like it 8)
I think it looks fun! My guess is that it's a downloadable title...
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'm completely ok with Contra not necessarily being a sidescrolling thing.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Brainpalace wrote:There is a lot of animosity towards Konami for various reasons, but I do have some good news about Contra Rogue Corps:

Nah, he is just a producer/supervisor here.

Ok. i go back to Blazing Chrome's anticipation...
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

Special World wrote:this trailer makes me wonder if konami doesn't understand contra, or if it's me who doesn't understand contra
Its certainly not what I would call Contra after seeing that trailer. Maybe the kids will like it, but I'll stick to the older stuff.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Necronom wrote:
Depends which Contra you mean. Oldschool Contra this ain't, Neo Contra meets Platinum Games wackiness - more like it 8)
I think it looks fun! My guess is that it's a downloadable title...
I believe it is getting a retail release, as the leak for the release date was from a retail outlet.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Bleh, no. This is just some random game with "Contra" slapped onto it. Hard pass.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
MathU

Post by MathU »

Thankfully Contra already went out on a high note with Rebirth.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Crapola.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

MathU wrote:Thankfully Contra already went out on a high note with Rebirth.
Just one question about ReBirth. Is it really canon to the series? Or is it an alternate universe/reboot of the series?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Come on
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

I like Hard Corps Uprising. Arc System Works did a fantastic job.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
splitt442

Post by splitt442 »

Yes they did! I passed for so long because of the art style, but it looks and plays great overall!
okerlo

Post by okerlo »

Just for me to get back into the loop: we don't know yet what studio is actually working on this title, right?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

The second post in the topic clarifies that.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

In other news, due to the game taking place two years after the events of Alien Wars, I just found out that Contra 4 was retconned to take place six months after Alien Wars as opposed to two years.
nem

Post by nem »

I'm getting Dead Nation / Alienation vibes from the trailer.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

nem wrote:I'm getting Dead Nation / Alienation vibes from the trailer.
Jonpachi wrote:Bleh, no. This is just some random game with "Contra" slapped onto it. Hard pass.
It really doesn't matter who was working on it. It's not what contra was... I just hope it's not supposed to be what it becomes.

Whether retrospectively, or not, whether developer side, or konami on the appropriations/licensing side - I'm pretty sure it is someone attaching the contra name to another project and calling it done.

The thing is, I can get why contra is no longer contra, but I've no idea why it's this: Kind of see what they're going for, but it's just too much of an undirected mess - like they couldn't decide if they were doing sucide squad/metal wolf/borderlands/no more heroes...

Shame... feels like there's a loaded/hotline/total carnage direction this production could have trodden and hooked me, but it looks like it just made all the wrong choices...
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

Brainpalace wrote:According to this twitter post from one of the artists working on the game, Nobuya Nakazato is directing. He was the director for Rocket Knight Adventures, as well as Contra 3 and Hard Corps as mentioned in the twitter post.
Thank you for this information. I may not ignore this title after all.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

gray117 wrote:
nem wrote:I'm getting Dead Nation / Alienation vibes from the trailer.
Jonpachi wrote:Bleh, no. This is just some random game with "Contra" slapped onto it. Hard pass.
It really doesn't matter who was working on it. It's not what contra was... I just hope it's not supposed to be what it becomes.

Whether retrospectively, or not, whether developer side, or konami on the appropriations/licensing side - I'm pretty sure it is someone attaching the contra name to another project and calling it done.

The thing is, I can get why contra is no longer contra, but I've no idea why it's this: Kind of see what they're going for, but it's just too much of an undirected mess - like they couldn't decide if they were doing sucide squad/metal wolf/borderlands/no more heroes...

Shame... feels like there's a loaded/hotline/total carnage direction this production could have trodden and hooked me, but it looks like it just made all the wrong choices...
Or Guardians of the Galaxy.
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

xxx1993 wrote:Or Guardians of the Galaxy.
1+

Btw, there's already several minutes of gameplay floating around. If you can stomach the fact that this is not Shattered Soldier 2 and enjoy Twinstick Shooters or stuff like Mercs this might end up being surprisingly fun, especially in Coop.
There also seems to be a wide array of pretty crazy weapons that can be mixed up and upgraded. Also, an overheat mechanic that rewards players for strategic shots.
If this turns out the way it promises, PS4 will end up with another very competent twinstick shooter next to Nex Machina :D
Marc

Post by Marc »

Tokyo-J wrote:I like Hard Corps Uprising. Arc System Works did a fantastic job.
I felt it was passable as a console game, dreadful as an arcade game.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Hey, I'm totally cool with top-down shooters. Commando, Mercs, Alien Syndrome...
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

https://www.destructoid.com/contra-rogu ... 7444.phtml

...Yeah, I knew Destructoid was going to have a field day with this one. Knowing how they are with Konami, or at least how they tend to be when it comes to things related to Konami...