Consensus on Makyou Senshi/Gondomania?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Skyknight

Consensus on Makyou Senshi/Gondomania?

Post by Skyknight »

I remember liking the game back around 1989 or so. Mostly because it was like Sky Shark, although it did take me a while to notice how the rotary joystick worked (like the fact that thrown weapons could be re-aimed at all; I only figured it out while trying to work out why my fire lashes had exploded behind me). I honestly wonder if the general gameplay conceit would have a place these days.

Main problem is whether it would work with manic and/or danmaku precepts. Have fun grabbing (or avoiding) particular power-ups and/or coins if there's a flurry of bullets on-screen...
SuperDeadite

Re: Consensus on Makyou Senshi/Gondomania?

Post by SuperDeadite »

Nice graphics and tunes. Game wise, its ok. Doesnt really have the badass fun factor of Ikari, Victory Road, SAR, or Heavy Barrel. But there isnt really anything wrong with it either.
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

Just the rotary lever compares it to Ikari & Co.? The auto-scrolling greatly suggests otherwise by my lights. (Then again, the limited ammo of the airbikes doesn't argue against that.)

I'll admit that part of the reason I asked is that I was mulling over this old idea of mine for a Touhou game that isn't (entirely) danmaku:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... okyoSenshi

Granted I have to edit the roles of a few Cartagrans (especially Halphas; what I read as "brings the wicked to the sword" is actually "brings swords to the wicked". Much more malevolent than I thought.), but my main interest was whether the Makyou Senshi pick-up system would translate well to today's shmup expectations.
Last edited by Skyknight on Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Well as someone with a rotary supergun and most of the compatible pcbs, it doesnt get much play. When the roto gets unboxed, its never for this one.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

For what it's worth, I think Heavy Barrel was intended as a followup to that game. I always treated it as one, at least.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
FRO

Post by FRO »

I have a soft spot for Gondomania, because a restaurant in my hometown had it for a few months, and I played it quite a bit. It's a unique game, and I don't know of many other auto-scrolling shooters that had the rotary stick where you could aim your attacks. If I ever got to the point where I had space for a few dedicated arcade cabinets, Gondomania would be on my list because of that. That said, I remember it being somewhat difficult, but it's been years since I played it.