Re: Raiden--I have a confession to make

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

The fan nickname of "Cranassians" for the alien force/crystals? That was effectively my doing.

Thing of it is, I didn't make it up. Rather, I recalled it from a magazine ad for the SNES version of the first Raiden (I still remember looking at it and wondering why the Desert Spiders weren't different colors). I know I was wondering how the game-makers had settled on something that sounded so similar to "Cardassians"!

So...mea culpa?

(On a side note, I'm wondering if R5 even takes place in the same continuity as any of the first four Raiden...)
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

I don't understand. What was in the ad that lead to that name? And how did your use of the word end up becoming a fan nickname? (And if it is a fan nickname, why do the sites that come up when I google the word seem to present the name as lore?)
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

Basically a reference in the ad to the “Cranassian Empire”. And interestingly, while trying to sniff out the ad on Google, I found the back of the box art:

http://rarity.club/games/SNES/Raiden-Trad

Turns out I did misrecall it...in that Brain Storm called them Carnass. Given the tone of the box art text, though, I have a feeling they were just playing on the word “carnage”.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Having read this a couple of times; I think we've collectively all just thought about this more than anyone else ever...