Ikaruga on PS4?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Tokyo-J

Re: Ikaruga on PS4?

Post by Tokyo-J »

bigbadboaz wrote:Thanks. Probably worth double-dipping at $5.
I now own this on

Dreamcast
Naomi
Playstation 4
Switch
Type X
Xbox 360 / XB1

I just need the Steam and Gamecube version. (My Neighbor has Both)
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Heh. Have DC from back in the day and have been OK with the 360 version for a while. But with the comments on the native 1080p looking sharper on PS4, I don't mind adding a third version on sale.
alterego

Post by alterego »

will we get a physical release for current gen consoles?
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

alterego wrote:will we get a physical release for current gen consoles?
I would hope someone like Nicalis or Limited Run Games picks it up for Physical release.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Seems like too much time has passed with no word.
alterego

Post by alterego »

i heard that nicalis is up to something, but it has already passed a lot of time since they made such a statement.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Hey Tokyo, how did you find that sale price anyway? It has dates that imply it's part of Days of Play, but the actual sale doesn't mention it.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

bigbadboaz wrote:Hey Tokyo, how did you find that sale price anyway? It has dates that imply it's part of Days of Play, but the actual sale doesn't mention it.
Saw it posted on the shmups facebook group.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

ciox

Post by ciox »

Nice.
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

Tokyo-J wrote:Physical version incoming

https://twitter.com/shmups/status/1139574498200395777
Wow :shock: That logo's ugly as fuck...let's hope it's not final.
ReDiR

Post by ReDiR »

Necronom wrote:
Tokyo-J wrote:Physical version incoming

https://twitter.com/shmups/status/1139574498200395777
Wow :shock: That logo's ugly as fuck...let's hope it's not final.
You drunk? Cover art is fucking fantastic!
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

The artwork itself is gorgeous, but the way the publisher slapped the gigantic logo over it on the corner is awfully amateurish I would say.
Here it looks more like some sort of watermark or "SAMPLE" text that's put on top to prevent people from copying the art behind, rather than a well-integrated title as it should be.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

ReDiR wrote:You drunk? Cover art is fucking fantastic!
I clearly meant the slapped on logo, not the cover art. And I'm definitely not alone on this...
Please read the whole thing before commenting on it, especially if you intend to follow a more unfriendly route :wink:

Since this is probably one of the last physical editions this game will see, I really hope for a better designed cover and maybe even some artbook.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The Ikaruga logo in that pic looks like a sticker that was pasted over the rest of the art.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

As the tweet says, Treasure's logo is nowhere to be found on that release and Nicalis are a bunch of hacks. Easy pass.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Please. This isn't anything like Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Supporting the physical release could lead to Radiant Silvergun being ported. Who cares who the publisher is? Support the Developers!
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Oniros wrote:As the tweet says, Treasure's logo is nowhere to be found on that release and Nicalis are a bunch of hacks. Easy pass.
I did not see a Treasure / G.Rev logo on the cover of Gradius V. Is that an issue for you?
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Tokyo-J wrote:
Oniros wrote:As the tweet says, Treasure's logo is nowhere to be found on that release and Nicalis are a bunch of hacks. Easy pass.
I did not see a Treasure / G.Rev logo on the cover of Gradius V. Is that an issue for you?
No, but it was done of konami's dime; so that is a kind of a step away....

I'd compare it more directly to Atari slapping their name on the gamecube version - which I also didn't like, but didn't bother most people...

So it's just SOP for nicalis and also SOP for treasure - after all they're pretty much just are a holding company at this stage, as long as they are in credits, and the port is decent I don't think they care... can't really get offended on their behalf.

...Although that yellow is awful... Would be way better if it was just white...

I'm sure M$ bucks were involved in the RS port so wouldn't expect to see that off a 'live' service ...
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

I've been playing this on-and-off for the first time, over the last couple of months. Have to say I know I'm in the minority as many consider this the best shmup of all time, but I just can't get into it. The music and style are amazing and it's got a lot of things that on paper, I love, but the no matter how hard I try I just can't get into the frequency changing - I find it more of an annoyance than something unique to be enjoyed about the game.

I have struggled to the end now (and some of those later levels, wow) but I think I've got past the stage now where I'm not skilled enough to enjoy it, to having put enough time in to realise its just not for me, I constantly feel clumsy while playing it.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Ikaruga isn't that enjoyable if you barge through the enemies while hoping to get by dodging tiny random bullets - the game really wants you to learn the patterns, devise your strats and stick to the planned routes. It's really meant to be played for score and according to the book - I assure you that no matter how much time you put into it, you will always feel clumsy when you mess up with your strategies and gotta improvise things :)

Of course, that's a very strict approach which can put off many gamers, so there's nothing wrong with you if you can't get into it. I've always found it funny how Ika tends to be revered by most gamers outside of the shmups community, when it demands a very precise and stubborn dedication that is quite uncommon to have..