PlayStation Classic's full game list announced

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BrianC

Re: PlayStation Classic's full game list announced

Post by BrianC »

BryanM wrote: As defensive as I am about Toshinden being representative of the start of that era, no one really gives a shit about it at the end of the day. It is the Balloon Fight of play stations.
Except a lot more people care about Balloon Fight. There was even talk about it fairly recently in Ninja Gaiden/NES/Action Game topic. Balloon Trip is good stuff.
Austin

Post by Austin »

BrianC wrote:
BryanM wrote: As defensive as I am about Toshinden being representative of the start of that era, no one really gives a shit about it at the end of the day. It is the Balloon Fight of play stations.
Except a lot more people care about Balloon Fight. There was even talk about it fairly recently in Ninja Gaiden/NES/Action Game topic. Balloon Trip is good stuff.
I think a better comparison would have been, "Toshinden is the Urban Champion of PlayStations". (Although I'm sure that game has its fans, too).

Balloon Fight is great.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:$25 at some Walmarts. Guess that isn't $20 though.
Seems like a pricing error from local management at the Spring Lake store. Sold out and restocked at their normal price.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

$30 everywhere now if anyone was wanting one.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Got mine for $26 when Target was being a little more subtle (Cartwheel coupon). Even that didn't really impact their stock and I doubt straight $29 will do it either.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:if anyone was wanting one.
There's always a catch. :P
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

LOLOLOL being blown out for $9.99 at the Navy Exchange now. Ten fucking dollars

Sure it's a specialized case but can you drill home any harder how badly Sony fucked this up??
MX7

Post by MX7 »

It's pretty irredeemable. But it's fun to hack and to pull out at house parties.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

can it be used as a shell case for a raspberry?

Can you erase anything in it and run maybe a decent version of retroarch?

What a pity, the original playstation definitely didn't deserve to see its memory tarnished this way.
X - P - B
Steamflogger Boss

bigbadboaz wrote:LOLOLOL being blown out for $9.99 at the Navy Exchange now. Ten fucking dollars

Sure it's a specialized case but can you drill home any harder how badly Sony fucked this up??
Hell for $10 I'd be in. It's worth it at that price as a cheap little emu box.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I'm waiting for it to hit £25 here - I've a mate down the road that will fill the thing with 100+ games and a snazzy front end for a case of beer, and it'll look neat next to the SNES and eventual MD/PCE minis.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
MX7

Post by MX7 »

Marc wrote:I'm waiting for it to hit £25 here - I've a mate down the road that will fill the thing with 100+ games and a snazzy front end for a case of beer, and it'll look neat next to the SNES and eventual MD/PCE minis.
Yep! Got it for the inevitable games themed Christmas present (can't wait for the Mega Drive mini!) and it's great for parties when we don't want the laptop soaked in beer or just feeling lazy. Definitely wouldn't pay for one, mind, and would have sold it if it wasn't so easy to hack/cute.
nem

Post by nem »

Turrican wrote:can it be used as a shell case for a raspberry?
The specs are actually beefier than a Raspberry Pi 3B+. MediaTek MT8167a Quad A35 @ 1.5 GHz, Power VR GE8300 GPU and 1 GB of 1866MHz DDR3 memory. It's no slouch.
Can you erase anything in it and run maybe a decent version of retroarch?
Yes.

https://modmyclassic.com/bleemsync/
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

$19.99 at Best Buy. Whoever thought it would never happen - companies just aren't going to take zero dollars over some dollars, especially multiplied by the astronomical number of these things out there.

Absolutely, entirely worth it, by the way.
Steamflogger Boss

I'm definitely in at $20.
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

That price is amazing, but with the Mega Drive Mini, PC Engine Mini, and RPi 4 all dropping, I think I'll be happier with the $20.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

I get personal preference, but would you really rather pay more for/buy all of those others than drop the $20 and encompass all their functionality with this thing?

Exclude the Pi4, of course.
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

If I want to go legit, Mega Drive and PC Engine's lineups completely stomp all over the PS Classic. There isn't a single game here I care about. If I want to emulate, the Pi4 is significantly more powerful than them all. PS Classic just doesn't win for me anywhere.
MX7

Post by MX7 »

But you can literally whack a thumb drive in your €17.82 grey box and play whatever PSX game you want with no pissing about. Obviously it's not particularly kosher, but you're still chucking more money at Sony than just sticking an HDMI cable in a laptop (or spending £££ on Ebay), so I doubt they care.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

If this controller pack had the PSX3 layout, I'd be all over it.
But you can literally whack a thumb drive in your €17.82 grey box and play whatever PSX game you want with no pissing about
Ahhh, having to do any futzing about kind of defeats the point of plug and play. Anyone seriously hardcore into emulation already has their game/media theater plugged in and ready to go at the push of a button. With a library that encompasses many more generations than these SoC's can.

The core product should really be good value on its own. The NES joypad by itself is a joy to hold - these are menacing hand-caltrops.
Whoever thought it would never happen
When I'm wrong I'm wrong. Didn't have this "Best Buy" when I was a kid, and the internet didn't exist to allow warehouses to liquidate their garbage efficiently. I can admit when I've been an old man stuck in the past.

You don't see Wal-Mart or Target doing anything besides throwing these things into a trash compacter, no?
Steamflogger Boss

Idk, we used to see huge clearance discounts bitd. I got many video games on clearance. Target and Amazon had them for $20 as well. It was a one day thing for now.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Amazingly, the $20 did not seem to do the trick as far as liquidation. I'm curious now whether we will see these widely available at $15.

I'll just keep returning and rebuying at Target :D . Each new pricepoint is that much more satisfying.

At its final price and fully modded out, this thing is gonna be the gaming value of my lifetime.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

$5 might be a hard sell.

It's a little disturbing that the only game on the list I'm actually a little interested in playing again is IQ. Genre burnout is real, and the NES and SNES offered normies an experience the latest consoles have denied them extensively. Outside Mario Maker.

(A trend that probably helps 2d phone gacha games tremendously. Squaresoft was flabbergasted Octopath Traveler did so well, but when was the last time they ever made a game with pixel art.)
Steamflogger Boss

Octopath 2 or riot.
Drachenherz

Post by Drachenherz »

Got 2 of them for 20.- each.

This thing is a dream to hack, and the price is almost worth it for the controllers alone. Probably going to rip one PSC apart and do an all-in-one 2P arcade stick with the innards.

Emulation is actually pretty decent via retroarch.
Truth - Compassion - Tolerance
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

Yeah I wasn't massively bothered about one of these as I'm not big on emulation, but when they came down in price I picked one up and hacked it - nice to play some of the games ill never own physically due to price. The controllers are very nice and I didn't realise you got 2. Not every game works flawlessly, I found it too much of a chore to play through legacy of kain because of regular graphical glitching which required a reset to solve, but ive had a blast playing Raiden project among others.

The base game list is pathetic though, okay it's got metal gear which was a personal favourite but that was nearly all I was interested in on the original 20.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

BleemSync has been updated with folder support. The possibilities with these continue to expand.
lemans123

Post by lemans123 »

thats list is weak it doesnt include the main classics
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Is it possible to play with a Dual Shock on it, analogues and vibrations supported?
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

With an adapter after modding, yes. 8bitdo wireless adapter for the DS4 and there are wired USB adapters for legacy DualShocks.

The PSC subreddit is the best place for information on this.