gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
toyhopperhk

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by toyhopperhk »

Hello
I bought switch JP21 about 2 years, recently found problem,
audio L get beebeebee sound(scart and 3.5mm jack) , audio R normal, how can i check which part get problem?
Thx
Iggy_poop

Post by Iggy_poop »

waiwainl wrote:
superg wrote:
waiwainl wrote:Hi superg,

Received your gscartsw and it is working great (including PS2) :D
Except for my RGB modded PCE/CDROM2/Interface2 Unit. It works fine on all monitors/TV's and passive switchers I have.
What I get is some green lines at the bottom. See my capture here: https://youtu.be/H5QYX34xmfk

Any suggestion? Some dips I can try?
Thanks!
Depending on your mod you can get different results. There are some configurations that work, I haven't looked into all possible PC Engine mods.
So.. not sure what to do with this answer. Shall I supply the mod type to you? I got the pce-IFU pre-RGB modded, I can probably open it up, if that would help.
Or do you suggest me to play with the dips (assuming you mean those with ‘configuration’)? (An overview of what they do would be usefull)
I got the FU-RGB for the SSD3 which might be similar. I had an issue where the sync signal was too weak with a classic Mega Drive 2 scart cable because of the resistor on the sync line. The resistor is on the bypass board. I used a cable with no resistor on the sync line and it worked fine after that. Before removing the resistor, the mod worked on my PVM but not my OSSC. It would work sometimes on my OSSC through the gscart_lite but would sometimes not sync at all or frequently drop sync. Try removing the resistor from your scart cable, or remove and bridge the resistor on the bypass board. Might solve your problem!
toyhopperhk

Post by toyhopperhk »

Hello
I bought gscartsw jp21 over 2years, but get audio problem, audio L get beebee noise, audio R normal(scart and 3.5mm tested), can tell me which part fail?
Thx :D :D
Vasid

Post by Vasid »

Hey superg, have you ever considered making a 1 in 2 out SCART splitter? I see demand for this sort of thing pretty commonly and I assume it wouldn't take much extra design work. Just a thought, still loving my gscartsw, works like a dream.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

Vasid wrote:Hey superg, have you ever considered making a 1 in 2 out SCART splitter? I see demand for this sort of thing pretty commonly and I assume it wouldn't take much extra design work. Just a thought, still loving my gscartsw, works like a dream.
That is already what the gscartsw is! It just comes with seven extra inputs for free ;-)
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
SawYouDown

Post by SawYouDown »

Im about to order the gscart and gcomp but I might have an address change coming up before either are ready. Is it possible to change my address before they ship
SawYouDown

Post by SawYouDown »

Hey I'm about to order the gscart but i might have an address change coming up in the future. Is it possible to change address before it ships?
superg

Post by superg »

Vasid wrote:Hey superg, have you ever considered making a 1 in 2 out SCART splitter? I see demand for this sort of thing pretty commonly and I assume it wouldn't take much extra design work. Just a thought, still loving my gscartsw, works like a dream.
It's not hard to do but I am really busy with all sorts of stuff :)
Vasid

Post by Vasid »

superg wrote:
Makes sense, well if you ever get more time and feel like adding another product to the line. :wink:
OneJoeStarr

Post by OneJoeStarr »

How can I get in on the component switch pre-order? I'm new here, apologies.
    SawYouDown

Post by SawYouDown »

Hey superg I want to order a gscart however i may have an address change coming up in the next couple of months. Is it possible to switch my address before you ship it?
    H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

Vasid wrote:
    superg wrote:
    Makes sense, well if you ever get more time and feel like adding another product to the line. :wink:
    I would prefer a 16 input Gscartsw for $ 400 but not such a long switcher like the Whydra2 but wider 2 times 8:1 next to each other.
    superg

Post by superg »

OneJoeStarr wrote:
      How can I get in on the component switch pre-order? I'm new here, apologies.
      gretrostuff.com
      superg

Post by superg »

SawYouDown wrote:Hey superg I want to order a gscart however i may have an address change coming up in the next couple of months. Is it possible to switch my address before you ship it?
      You can change the address later, but make sure to send me a note week in advance.
      Galgomite

Post by Galgomite »

Is anyone else having trouble getting this sync on green stuff to work? I’m trying my PS2 with burnout 3 and a Sega Genesis collection. The Genesis collection lets you choose progressive scan in a menu. Neither of these are showing up as a 480p signal on the OSSC. I am set to RGB in the PS2 menu.
      hyrulebr

Post by hyrulebr »

Hi

Just received my 3rd gscartw and need some tips to use all together. :D

Today I use gscartw lite :arrow: gscartw 3.2 :arrow: extron cross point :arrow: multiple monitors. When I got the gscartw lite I read that the recommended was to leave the gscartw lite after the gscartw 3.2 but that way I can fix some incompatibility with “a” series bvm monitor (same effect as using a extron 580xi).

Now with the the new gscartw I’m thinking in use both new gscartw and gscartw lite connected to gscartw 3.2 (last gscartw in my chain). As far i know this setup will work good for automatic switching. Any toughts? :?:

I’m Also in doubt about sync on green. I want to connect a ps2 using rgb and do I have to turn on sync on green stripping feature to pass the signal to gscartw. 3.2? Do this stripping cause any loss? Also if I use the last scart port on gscartw will the sync on green be passed without stripping?
      the Goat

Post by the Goat »

hyrulebr wrote:Today I use gscartw lite :arrow: gscartw 3.2 :arrow: extron cross point :arrow: multiple monitors. When I got the gscartw lite I read that the recommended was to leave the gscartw lite after the gscartw 3.2 but that way I can fix some incompatibility with “a” series bvm monitor (same effect as using a extron 580xi).

Now with the the new gscartw I’m thinking in use both new gscartw and gscartw lite connected to gscartw 3.2 (last gscartw in my chain). As far i know this setup will work good for automatic switching. Any toughts?
      Why not have the three gscartsw units connect to three inputs on the extron crosspoint? That is how I have my setup (two gscartsw units for now) and it works great.
      -the Goat
      hyrulebr

Post by hyrulebr »

the Goat wrote: Why not have the three gscartsw units connect to three inputs on the extron crosspoint? That is how I have my setup (two gscartsw units for now) and it works great.
      There was two reasons:

- The combo gscartw lite + gscartw 3.2 did magic and solved my BVM "A" issues (main monitor) without requiring a Extron RGB interface;
      - It's more praticle to use just one extron crosspoint input to all RGB (scart) instead of 3.

Talking about the latter, today my crosspoint uses 3 inputs based in connector/type of signal:

1-RGB (scart)
      2- component
      3- VGA (RGB through VGA from old computers, like MSX, X68000, Fm towns, etc)

Adding more two inputs will also add complexity, needs new cables, etc. I have to remember which console goes to each input (even if I manage to write 8 consoles names in these tinys extron labels in from panel will be a mess :roll: ).

BUT

If the quality of image is degrading in my setup I could rethink everything and adopt a more complex solution. Image quality is our first priority here. 8)

BUT (again)

That time, I remember to not seeing any degradation in image quality using my naked eyes. I only remember that I had to exchanging some cables to proper shielding versions to get ride of some interference. Maybe even with direct connection I could get the same interference, I just not tested it.

Please take note that I tested using a CRT. As MLiG stated in this video below, image degradation is more hard to see in a CRT than in a upscaler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=998tBzpJhVo

Am I missing something? :?:
      nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Galgomite wrote:Is anyone else having trouble getting this sync on green stuff to work? I’m trying my PS2 with burnout 3 and a Sega Genesis collection. The Genesis collection lets you choose progressive scan in a menu. Neither of these are showing up as a 480p signal on the OSSC. I am set to RGB in the PS2 menu.
      If the OSSC isn't getting sync, and you just have RGsB forwarding enabled, you will need to change the input on the OSSC to AV1-RGsB when you switch to 480p, and back to AV1-RGBS when you switch back to 480i/240p. Alternatively, you can enable automatic input switching on the OSSC, so this toggle becomes automatic.

Another approach would be to enable RGsB->RGBS conversion on the gscartsw, so that you don't have to change any inputs on the OSSC or make additional configuration on the OSSC.
      superg

Post by superg »

Galgomite wrote:Is anyone else having trouble getting this sync on green stuff to work? I’m trying my PS2 with burnout 3 and a Sega Genesis collection. The Genesis collection lets you choose progressive scan in a menu. Neither of these are showing up as a 480p signal on the OSSC. I am set to RGB in the PS2 menu.
      What do you get, black screen? Or OSSC just keeps the current mode?
      superg

Post by superg »

hyrulebr wrote: I’m Also in doubt about sync on green. I want to connect a ps2 using rgb and do I have to turn on sync on green stripping feature to pass the signal to gscartw. 3.2? Do this stripping cause any loss? Also if I use the last scart port on gscartw will the sync on green be passed without stripping?
      Sync on green Green sync compensation is turned on by default. It's totally ok to keep it like this, shouldn't affect anything. You can turn it off if your monitor doesn't properly calibrate color levels (I guess you would knew it if it does).
      superg

Post by superg »

nmalinoski wrote: Another approach would be to enable RGsB->RGBS conversion on the gscartsw, so that you don't have to change any inputs on the OSSC or make additional configuration on the OSSC.
      That is done by default, if sync on green is detected, csync is always available on composite SCART pin. The only SoG configuration possible is green sync compensation.
      the Goat

Post by the Goat »

superg wrote:The only SoG configuration possible is green sync compensation.
      Can you explain what "green sync compensation" does and what problem it is designed to address?
      -the Goat
      superg

Post by superg »

the Goat wrote:
      superg wrote:The only SoG configuration possible is green sync compensation.
      Can you explain what "green sync compensation" does and what problem it is designed to address?
      Some problematic monitors don't properly set color levels if there is sync mixed on green (or red or blue). As a result, you will get a slightly different colors. Green sync compensation removes sync pulses from green channel.
      DiegoPonga

Post by DiegoPonga »

Hi there, Superg!

Just wanted to ask you if my Gscartsw has already been shipped and, if so, how long would it take until it reaches Madrid. Thanks a lot dude!
      superg

Post by superg »

DiegoPonga wrote:Hi there, Superg!

Just wanted to ask you if my Gscartsw has already been shipped and, if so, how long would it take until it reaches Madrid. Thanks a lot dude!
      Check your paypal transaction, if it was shipped there will be a tracking number.
      Cannonballs

Post by Cannonballs »

Dazdigo wrote:Feature Request: LED indicator for the active port, next device queued up, and detecting sync activity. I am thinking this can be done with a bi-color LED.
      this would be awesome
      Valandil

Post by Valandil »

Hey guys,

I have a dumb question. Hope you can help me so I can finally order a gcompsw. I plan to use this switch connecting 4 composite and 4 component consoles, one output going to a PVM and the other to my framemeister. My question is, since the outputs will be connected to my PVM and to my FM using component, will I get some sort of incompatibility from the consoles connected with composite?

As you can read I'm a total noob in signals so I don't really understand the engineering behind having a console connected with a lower quality signal (composite) and outputting through component, I know I won't gain any quality out of it just want to make sure I won't have any problems with my setup.

Thank you!
      superg

Post by superg »

Valandil wrote:Hey guys,

I have a dumb question. Hope you can help me so I can finally order a gcompsw. I plan to use this switch connecting 4 composite and 4 component consoles, one output going to a PVM and the other to my framemeister. My question is, since the outputs will be connected to my PVM and to my FM using component, will I get some sort of incompatibility from the consoles connected with composite?

As you can read I'm a total noob in signals so I don't really understand the engineering behind having a console connected with a lower quality signal (composite) and outputting through component, I know I won't gain any quality out of it just want to make sure I won't have any problems with my setup.

Thank you!
      The component / composite channels are totally separated and you also get two outputs so that allows a lot of different setup configurations. To answer your question: no, composite would not affect your component signals and vice versa.
      Valandil

Post by Valandil »

superg wrote:
      Valandil wrote:Hey guys,

Thank you!
      The component / composite channels are totally separated and you also get two outputs so that allows a lot of different setup configurations. To answer your question: no, composite would not affect your component signals and vice versa.
      Awesome, thanks for the quick respone superg! So it doesn't matter if both outputs in the gcompsw are going out as component, I will still get the composite signals out even though I don't have any cable connected in the yellow port in any of the gcompsw outputs? It's not like in order for the composite signals to go out I need to have one output set as composite?

Sorry if I'm repeating myself, my intention is to connect 8 consoles (4 composite/4 component) to my PVM and FM simultaneously and play on whatever I feel like at the time without having to re-connect anything.