Retro-Access Releases Dreamcast 15Khz/31Khz Scart/BNC Cables

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
maxtherabbit

Re: Retro-Access Releases Dreamcast 15Khz/31Khz Scart/BNC Ca

Post by maxtherabbit »

Gunstar wrote:@maxtherabbit - I sent two emails to RGC asking about the use of attenuator networks in their DC cable and unfortunately haven't heard back.
guess we'll have to take that as a "no" :(
davidwhangchoi

Post by davidwhangchoi »

:!: yay i got an order in
Gara

Post by Gara »

https://retro-access.com/products/taske ... ug-upgrade

The metal hood makes for a nice upgrade. Not much practical value but it looks nice.
Spoiler
Glad to be rid of my Toro. I can now touch my Dreamcast without disturbing the connection. I would often lose a channel of audio if I bumped it.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Gara wrote:https://retro-access.com/products/taske ... ug-upgrade

The metal hood makes for a nice upgrade. Not much practical value but it looks nice.

Is there any improvements to the picture quality and/or audio over the standard scart head/hood?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Lawfer wrote:
Gara wrote:https://retro-access.com/products/taske ... ug-upgrade

Spoiler
Is there any improvements to the picture quality and/or audio over the standard scart head/hood?
With a fully-shielded cable, I can't imagine the 1cm or so of exposed cable between the shielding and the SCART connector really getting much interference. I think a metal hood, if connected to the shielding and outer portion of the connector, would literally shield that bit of the exposed cable, but not to any tangible benefit.
Gara

Post by Gara »

Lawfer wrote:
Theoretically I imagine there is some benefit to a tiny amount of extra shielding. I doubt there is any real world benefit. I buy them for the look and build quality. They discontinued the old metal plated version. I'm just glad there is a an alternative to the standard head.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

Gara wrote:
Lawfer wrote:
Theoretically I imagine there is some benefit to a tiny amount of extra shielding. I doubt there is any real world benefit. I buy them for the look and build quality. They discontinued the old metal plated version. I'm just glad there is a an alternative to the standard head.
Same. I like the look of the metallic SCART head. I have a bunch of the old style. So the few new cables I buy I get the new version.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
クリスチャン

Post by クリスチャン »

Just got my Fortraflex cable; it looks well made, image is noise free, and audio interference internally from the DC is the only thing I hear and it's very low . It doesn't seem to completely attenuate the signal to 700mv though as green was still clipped; however, it's not as bad as other cables. This may be due to my DC being a VA0 (no idea). This was a quick fix as all I had to do on my OSSC was lower pre-ADC gain to 7, G/Y gain to 15, B/Pb gain to 37, R/Pr gain to 37, and G/Y offset to 124. This was all tested via the 240p test suite.

CORRECTION: G/Y gain is at 16, B/Pb gain 26, and R/Pr gain 26.

The Fortaflex stuff is the real deal; as a radio maintainer by trade I can say ~90% of people will not need coax and should go with Fotraflex. Those who need long runs, use switches, or have a lot of EMI should consider using the coax version.

Images below:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
dseleski

Post by dseleski »

Just jumping in here to state that the Fortraflex are not 75 ohm impedance rated - in cable or on the RGB lines (we added those networks late in development to coax only), Fortraflex being a more budget solution that we started offering this year with almost as much shielding as coax. This being the same method of shielding used in official cables which are never more than 6ft long, we maxed them out at 6ft to avoid any issues and they test fine at that length.

I’m not sure about that 90% figure though because from the amount of Scart to scarts and other hookups we sell it does seem like most people aren’t using direct hookups (I guess if you can afford one screen per console, you probably will be doing.)

I do wish people would buy more Fortraflex though because it’s faster to wire up and I can delegate this work.

So yes if you have a direct hookup and no plan to expand - please by all means do purchase Fortraflex.
davidwhangchoi

Post by davidwhangchoi »

Yay :!: got a shipment notification on a fat cable
Revolver Ocelot

Post by Revolver Ocelot »

ldeveraux wrote:
KonradKlaus wrote:
the Goat wrote: What type of display are you connecting to?
I was going Dreamcast -> Toro -> GscartSW -> OSSC -> Panasonic plasma. I had a hard time getting the VGA to work with the toro into the OSSC, but scart would work... it'd just go in and out every now and then or if, heaven forbid, a strong breeze or my daughter slightly moving either the dream cast, the scart cable, or the toro box it'd have no sync and I'd meticulously jiggle things till it work right. I have a feeling it was the connector from the DC to the toro... but unsure.

Now with the retro-access cable it seems pretty reliable.
Awesome, this is exactly what I was hoping for! Going to test mine out as well!

EDIT: Eek, I tried out the SCART cable and it doesn't look as clean or bright as my current cable, the Hyperkin HDMI. I think I just wasted $50...
Got the Retro gaming cables uk cable on Friday and can also confirm that the image looks darker than the image of my Beharbos Gekko Box. I would not say it looks uglier just different. Not sad about the purchase though, the cable is the best way for me to into upscaling over Scart with the Framemeister. It looks better than connection the gekko to the Framemeister.
hugo19941994

Post by hugo19941994 »

Revolver Ocelot wrote:Got the Retro gaming cables uk cable on Friday and can also confirm that the image looks darker than the image of my Beharbos Gekko Box. I would not say it looks uglier just different. Not sad about the purchase though, the cable is the best way for me to into upscaling over Scart with the Framemeister. It looks better than connection the gekko to the Framemeister.
I've noticed it too.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

"darker" is exactly how it's meant to look - the console's DAC was overdriving brightness from the word go
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

maxtherabbit wrote:"darker" is exactly how it's meant to look - the console's DAC was overdriving brightness from the word go
Does this mean that the digital out of the DCHDMI looks darker too?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

fernan1234 wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:"darker" is exactly how it's meant to look - the console's DAC was overdriving brightness from the word go
Does this mean that the digital out of the DCHDMI looks darker too?
Yes
davidwhangchoi

Post by davidwhangchoi »

just got my fat cable and gave it a whirl,

here's some pics and my impression:

i used to have a 480p 17" on my coffee table but my current set up on the table is a 20m4u TATE that i reseated the yoke and got the convergence down (posted on the other thread):

i'm too lazy to move it so i'm using the JVC 1710CG on the floor while sitting on a 20m2u:

i was a little apprehensive getting the thick cable as i had a hard time getting the ps2 coax version to stay seated in my ps2. due to the thickness to the coax cable any slight movement to the cable and it would partially disconnect from the rear of my ps2 bc it had less flex than my other ps1 scart cable that i brought from retro game cables uk.
so i was tempted to get fortaflex fearing the thicker coax at a short 5 ft with less flex would disconnect constantly at any slight movement of the cable.

i'm happy to report the 5 ft dreamcast version of the coax cable connector fits perfectly snug to the dreamcast i own.

i can happily move the thick cable around, twist and manipulate it, and the connector does not partially dislodge from the rear of the dreamcast port :!:

some mars matrix and borderdown and was very happy to get 480p w/o drama.
i tried switching on the fly to 480i but the screen would go blank as i read prior i'd have to restart the console to switch modes:
both 480i and 480p modes look pretty good on the JVC of course 480p is doper
all in all i'm very happy to get the fat cable.

i end the post with 2 lazy to move to get real angles, taking em while sitting on top of the 20m2u pics:
Spoiler
*edit: on my iphone pics are way too big and don't resize so put on spoilers.
Last edited by davidwhangchoi on Fri May 31, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OleMacDonald

Post by OleMacDonald »

Need some help with Dreamcast video outputs from someone here.

What is the best cable to use to get the best possible video quality on a PVM (I have a Sony Trinitron 20L2MD and a 14N6U)and/or a Trinitron CRT 36FS200?
I have not been able to get the VGA cable to work on either so far and am super frustrated.

Here is my current setup as well as just some various devices I have on hand that I use in my setup.
-Extron Crosspoint 300 Switcher w/ ADSP
-Extron Crosspoint Ultra Wideband 450 w/ ADSP (not hooked up)
-Extron RGB 580xi (got it for free and not sure if it even helps)
-Extron MPS Series Presentation Switcher (tried running the Dreamcast VGA into this then out through a VGA to RGBHV into the Extron)
-Gscartsw
-Bandridge Scart Switcher (not using currently since I got the gscartsw which I love btw)
-Scart to YUV converter (to get RGB for the CRT)
-7 of my consoles are currently hooked up to scart.

I have a feeling this is an easy answer for most folks on this forum who have more experience than I do.

A few other side questions I have if someone is nice enough to take the time to answer
-The 75ohm and 175 ohm switches on the back of the Extron - what should I have them on and should I ever need to switch them? I keep them on 75 since I think thats what the PVM is used to.
-Can I use the Extron RGB 580xi for anything at all or is it essentially junk?
-Everyone says the Extron is a sync combiner - do they mean the crosspoint or something like the 203xi or 201xi? Also, if the crosspoint IS a sync combiner, how come I cant run RGBH input to an RGB output or RGBHV to an RGB or RGBH output?
-Is a cable going from a console (lets use the genesis gen 2 as an example) to BNC (Sold by a few mentioned companies) going to give me the same, better or worse video quality than a console-Scart-BNC or Console-scart-YUV converter-Component?

I don't have issues spending the money to get the best possible quality, but don't want to waste time configuring my setup only to find out later I should have invested in something else.

Any saviors out there for me??
Last edited by OleMacDonald on Fri May 31, 2019 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

OleMacDonald wrote:What is the best cable to use to get the best possible video quality on a PVM (I have a Sony Trinitron 20L2MD and a 14N6U)and/or a Trinitron CRT 36FS200?
These are CRTs, so why not get a BNC or SCART Dreamcast cable from Retro-Access?
Last edited by Lawfer on Thu May 30, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Lawfer wrote:
OleMacDonald wrote:What is the best cable to use to get the best possible video quality on a PVM (I have a Sony Trinitron 20L2MD and a 14N6U)and/or a Trinitron CRT 36FS200?
These are CRTs, so why not get a BNC Dreamcast cable from Retro-Access?
+1
OleMacDonald

Post by OleMacDonald »

Lawfer wrote:
These are CRTs, so why not get a BNC or SCART Dreamcast cable from Retro-Access?
Thanks! I had been looking at those but wanted to make sure that I was getting the best one possible. Is there a difference between the video quality of dreamcast BNC cable and a Dreamcast Scart cable? Also, is there a difference between the RGC Packapunch RGB 480p scart and the Retro-Access Scart other than the ability on Retro-Access to toggle 15khz/31khz (I think the PVM i have is 15)?
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/SEG ... 3fb4c077bb
https://retro-access.com/products/dream ... 7667?aff=3
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

OleMacDonald wrote:Thanks! I had been looking at those but wanted to make sure that I was getting the best one possible. Is there a difference between the video quality of dreamcast BNC cable and a Dreamcast Scart cable?
Well it depends what you want to connect it to? If you want to connect your Dreamcast directly to a proffessional monitor like a PVM, then get the BNC cable, if you are in Europe and you want to connect it directly to a CRT TV to get 480i RGB, then get the SCART one, if you want to connect to an OSSC, then get the SCART one etc...

OleMacDonald wrote:Also, is there a difference between the RGC Packapunch RGB 480p scart and the Retro-Access Scart other than the ability on Retro-Access to toggle 15khz/31khz (I think the PVM i have is 15)?
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/SEG ... 3fb4c077bb
https://retro-access.com/products/dream ... 7667?aff=3
No idea, I know that the one from Retro-Access fixes the issue with the Dreamcast's video levels being overblown (which is something I have been waiting for) and offer BNC cables which Retro Gaming Cables does not, Retro-Access also offer custom options which Retro Gaming Cables does not (they used to, but they stopped offering custom options years ago), also Retro-Access coaxial cables uses thicker wires that are 75 Ohm:

https://retro-access.com/blogs/news/why ... eo-signals

https://retro-access.com/pages/why-we-u ... lded-cable
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

@OleMacDonald: which version of the GScartSW do you own?

Since you don't require any 480p, your best choice would indeed be a Scart cable to connect to the switch. And output from there just as you would with any other system (you have other systems connected, right?).

Main difference between the Retro Access and the RCG cable are the fixed serration pulses on the Retro Access one. This fixes 480p on some PVM/BVMs, which would otherwise require an additional Extron interface.
OleMacDonald

Post by OleMacDonald »

Thank you guys for the help! That got my questions answered. I am using the Dreamcast on a pvm AND my trinitron crt, so to avoid potential issues with the bnc h or v sync I may go with the scart. I have one more input left to use!

Thanks a ton again for the help guys.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

dseleski wrote:Just jumping in here to state that the Fortraflex are not 75 ohm impedance rated - in cable or on the RGB lines (we added those networks late in development to coax only), Fortraflex being a more budget solution that we started offering this year with almost as much shielding as coax. This being the same method of shielding used in official cables which are never more than 6ft long, we maxed them out at 6ft to avoid any issues and they test fine at that length.

I’m not sure about that 90% figure though because from the amount of Scart to scarts and other hookups we sell it does seem like most people aren’t using direct hookups (I guess if you can afford one screen per console, you probably will be doing.)

I do wish people would buy more Fortraflex though because it’s faster to wire up and I can delegate this work.

So yes if you have a direct hookup and no plan to expand - please by all means do purchase Fortraflex.
Will you be offering Fortraflex on more than just SNES and Genesis cables? Will custom Fortraflex cables become an option as well?

I see you're offering a 2 month return for those who just recently bought the coax and wish to exchange. I don't suppose I could trade in the Snes and Genesis ones I ordered and received in early March? This was almost 3 months ago so I'm outside of that deadline, but they have received no use beyond just testing. Reason I haven't been using them is that I was waiting for SuperG's latest batch of scart switch box to ship, and I just received it a few days ago (I haven't even gotten around to hooking it up). I wouldn't even mind returning them for a simple discount on buying them again made with Fortraflex, as I much prefer the flexibility they offer over the rigidness of coax.
OleMacDonald

Post by OleMacDonald »

Fudoh wrote:@OleMacDonald: which version of the GScartSW do you own?

Since you don't require any 480p, your best choice would indeed be a Scart cable to connect to the switch. And output from there just as you would with any other system (you have other systems connected, right?).

Main difference between the Retro Access and the RCG cable are the fixed serration pulses on the Retro Access one. This fixes 480p on some PVM/BVMs, which would otherwise require an additional Extron interface.
To answer your question, I have the new gscartsw, not the old one.
dseleski

Re: Retro-Access Releases Dreamcast 15Khz/31Khz Scart/BNC C

Post by dseleski »

Taiyaki wrote:
dseleski wrote:Just jumping in here to state that the Fortraflex are not 75 ohm impedance rated - in cable or on the RGB lines (we added those networks late in development to coax only), Fortraflex being a more budget solution that we started offering this year with almost as much shielding as coax. This being the same method of shielding used in official cables which are never more than 6ft long, we maxed them out at 6ft to avoid any issues and they test fine at that length.

Will you be offering Fortraflex on more than just SNES and Genesis cables? Will custom Fortraflex cables become an option as well?

I see you're offering a 2 month return for those who just recently bought the coax and wish to exchange. I don't suppose I could trade in the Snes and Genesis ones I ordered and received in early March? This was almost 3 months ago so I'm outside of that deadline, but they have received no use beyond just testing. Reason I haven't been using them is that I was waiting for SuperG's latest batch of scart switch box to ship, and I just received it a few days ago (I haven't even gotten around to hooking it up). I wouldn't even mind returning them for a simple discount on buying them again made with Fortraflex, as I much prefer the flexibility they offer over the rigidness of coax.
We’ll be offering more Fortraflex when we can upgrade to SLS batch printing - the cables take less time to make, ergo more can be produced, but the sheer amount of stuff we offer would outdo what I can produce on a double extruder FDM. So this is a pending job, basically. In other words:

1. I need more time free to redesign hoods - Fortraflex uses 7mm diameter cable vs coax 9mm.
2. I need to save enough money to buy an SLS printer before we can bring out the full range. Not done so as yet.

https://mobile.twitter.com/retroaccess/ ... 2492861440

See that thread about the screw together hoods.

8 pin mini din Fortraflex is currently in the works with 8 pin din snap together plugs ordered and being made by the supplier right now. The only thing I have to produce here are the simple strain reliefs and the right angle strain reliefs.

Playstation should follow soon too.

We have the ability to do overmolds (just don’t have tooling yet) but it’s not possible for say, dsub because of the screws or Dreamcast because of the switch so we are probably going SLS for all this with overmold options added in gradually, and FDM for some custom cabling (if say I have to slightly alter a hood for somebody’s custom cable which yep, I sometimes have to do, I’m not putting that in a batch SLS production run.)

I have a couple weeks+ of more time free coming because this batch of coax is almost used up, the new batch will be delivered later in June. Dreamcast cables killed our supply and used it up earlier than the estimate, basically.

In other words the next thing to be offered, ie very soon is 8 pin mini din with optional angled connectors.

If you want to return any cabling please send an email. I’m not the one who deals with returns.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Great. Thanks for that lengthy explanation Looking forward to all of that.

When you get to the Playstation one will you still be offering the variant with the guncon input?

What about a simple scart to scart Fortraflex cable, is that something that would be doable soon since you already have the hood available for it?

As per your instructions I sent an email in regards to the return/exchange.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Bumping the thread since it was on the verge of being sent to page 3.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Taiyaki wrote:Bumping the thread since it was on the verge of being sent to page 3.
thanks for nothing!
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

ldeveraux wrote:
Taiyaki wrote:Bumping the thread since it was on the verge of being sent to page 3.
thanks for nothing!
Sorry about that.

It's been another 2 weeks since I sent Retro Access an email regarding a possible exchange of the coax snes and gen cables for the fortraflex equivalents and still no response. Since I have no other way to contact Retroaccess when they don't email back I'm hoping I can get their attention here. They make the best cables out there imo but communication is a real weak point. :(