NG Dev Team announce GunLord for Neo-Geo and Dreamcast

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
evil_ash_xero

Re: NG Dev Team announce GunLord for Neo-Geo and Dreamcast

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I bought the Switch version, but haven't played a ton of it yet.

Can anyone say how much more content they added? There's supposed to be a jetpack stage.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

evil_ash_xero wrote:I bought the Switch version, but haven't played a ton of it yet.

Can anyone say how much more content they added? There's supposed to be a jetpack stage.
This is from the Youtube trailer description:
Spoiler
- Significantly increased level size of the later levels offering new secrets and challenges.
- 4 new boss enemies
- Added a completely new horizontal jet pack stage
- Permanent continue and shortcut/level warp unlocks by collecting all big diamonds in stage.
- Auto save and level select features (you can revisit already beat stages at any time)
- Accomplishments screens and statistics screens for speedrunners
- Limited enemy respawns to essential enemies.
- Added Newgame+ (for speedrunning and new secrets)
- Increased the viewport to widescreen
- Improved viewport scrolling
- Scanline/RGB CRT TV shader
- Increased sprite/particle effects
- Added alpha blending special FX (Hi-Bit "32-bit" style)
- Added parallax scrolling elements
- Added new music tracks
- Improved controls (direct control over the 360° snake beam with R Stick)
- Optional modern twin stick controls (control movement and shooting direction independently)
- Fully customizable controls
- Improved difficulty curve especially on bosses
- Rebalanced weapon powerlevels
- Added a new power shot weapon
- Stable 60 fps in both docked/undocked mode
- HD rumble
My lord, I have come for you.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Yes, I've seen that. I just wondered if anyone has seen the new stuff in a vid, or hands on.

EDIT: I watched the trailer, and saw the jetpack stage. I can't recall how many of the bosses are new. My memory is a little fuzzy on the original. I remember the last boss giving me serious grief.
MJR

Post by MJR »

I bought this and tried first three stages. Love it. My only gripes is that score is missing from the switch version, which is a shame really :/ Now it also looks like some of the dropped items (such as metal orbs) have no function whatsoever, as there are no points.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I take it from the screenshots that this is a straight Turrican rip? If so, count me in tomorrow!
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
MJR

Post by MJR »

This is the best Turrican rip ever.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Made it to stage 7 (waste grounds) on my first go, with continues just to see more of the game - experience in the DC version very handy in tackling some enemies. Most of the stages are larger and/or tougher but some of the bosses have been balanced out. Stage 3 midboss and the trash compactor monster most notably, both I remember being quite brutal in the original release. The new boss I came across was cleverly designed and a fun fight. Collision detection has been vastly improved.

Game gives you plenty of opportunities for 1ups once you've sussed a few of the commonly used tricks and unlike Turrican you're not against the clock. And you'll need them to learn boss patterns and get through the tricky jumps in the auto-scrolling stage acid pipe.

Not a fan of the laser whip being on the right stick though. I keep clicking the right trigger to engage it (as per the DC version) and I wish this was an option in the controls.

Great price at £9, I hope this does well as it's a worthy Turrican homage.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

TransatlanticFoe wrote: Not a fan of the laser whip being on the right stick though. I keep clicking the right trigger to engage it (as per the DC version) and I wish this was an option in the controls.
Me too. This would be a perfect game for the M30 if not for that.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Picked up last night, only had the briefest of goes but it definitely seems like my jam. Looks absolutely gorgeous as well. Quite insane vale at £8.99.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

A bit late to the party, but I downloaded this the other day for my switch. Crazy to think this game that used to be so pricey is now officially available for just $10.

I haven't played too much of it, but besides the score counter being gone for no apparent reason, it seems like big gems actually vanish from levels after you get all the big gems in them, and there doesn't seem to be any way to restore them if you say wanted to explore levels fresh. Anyone know if there's a way to bring the big gems back short of deleting the application save file?
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Any idea of when the physical copy is coming out? And who may be releasing it?
I don't want to miss some kind of Limited Run thing (as I do time to time).
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Been awhile, but I finally sat down to actually play the game through all the way. Fantastic game.

I have two big problems with the switch port though.

One: The score counter is gone. Why? Removing it gets rid of a decent chunk of replay value. What reason was there to remove this? As an aside, the small metal orbs that sometimes drop do still have a purpose: they replenish your beam gauge.

Two: Once you collect all the big diamonds for a stage in one go, they permanently stay collected. Again, why? Part of the challenge is collecting all the big diamonds, so why remove that for future runs? Kills replay value since afterwards there isn't much incentive to explore stages. I noticed this early on, but thought, well maybe you'll have the option to play with collectible big diamonds again once you complete the game, but no, even though the game deletes your level progress and unlocks a speedrun timer, the big diamonds stay collected!

Was it not for these issues, I would call Gunlord X the definitive version. I'm still considering ordering a physical copy.