Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
WelshMegalodon

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by WelshMegalodon »

EmperorIng wrote:Oh man, am I that far behind? I think I'm using MamePlus 164 or something. I bet it's because I tend to stick to the MAMEs with GUIs. I should really break that habit.
I know you posted this an entire month ago, but MAME's built-in UI has been perfectly serviceable for years now and has a search function that lets you find whatever game you want to play in seconds. The "medal garbage and non-working drivers" don't really make a difference because you can just type in the romset name of your desired game and play without ever having to acknowledge their existence.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Perikles wrote:
To Far Away Times wrote:I'm playing Thundercross 2 at the moment and I was watching a video where someone stacked all the options into the center of the ship. How do you do that?
Shameless self-quotation:

"The option trick requires a rather specific set-up, I had to experiment for a while before I figured it out. In addition to your regular button for moving the options around, you need another one, this one with autofire (I find that 7.5hz works the best). Now you have to place the options as close to your ship as you can with the regular button, then hold down the dedicated button and it should work. It's a precise affair, though, you have to have them really close together before you can apply the actual trick. I'm absolutely certain you need to do this (and have 30hz autofire for your regular shots) from loop 6 onwards, it's impossible to breach the barrier in stage 4 otherwise."

It should be noted that while this stunt is required for high loops, you can make it through the first three loops or so just fine without it. It's nonetheless satisfying to pulverize bosses in mere moments, of course.
Haha that is so needlessly complex that it has to be a glitch. Oh well, if it's in the game its fair use. Thanks for the info, shmups forum will always have its place since it is a treasure grove of information on highly obscure shit.

I'll mess around with this tonight and see if I can get it to work.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

How do you consistently trigger the very dense bullet pattern at the very end of Boss 1 in Espgaluda 2?

As seen in my video, i'm going for the upper right corner as required, but i still don't seem to trigger it. As far as i can tell, triggering AbsoluteAwakening too late results in even less bullets. I tried many times and i think maybe only a few times i managed to get a little over 5 mil. Usually i'm at ~ 4 mil. I've seen people earning more than 6 mil here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTcSCtmpSAM
prophetic

Post by prophetic »

Did the Xbox 360 Limited Edition Mushihimesama HD disc get a second print run? What I want to know is if a sealed, new copy is guaranteed to come with the first run 1.5 DLC code?
crazyrexz

Post by crazyrexz »

greetings fellow shmupers , im playing raiden legacy on android today, i cant continue because credits is limited, is the credits can be adjusted with some tricks maybe ?
horaceappleton

Post by horaceappleton »

What are people's impressions of the Xbox 360 port of Radiant Silvergun? Any interesting features compared to the Saturn version? Downsides?
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

horaceappleton wrote:What are people's impressions of the Xbox 360 port of Radiant Silvergun? Any interesting features compared to the Saturn version? Downsides?
There's an "Ikaruga mode" in the 360 port that adapts Ikaruga's chaining system to RSG (so you don't have to ignore half the enemies to score). Also there's options for higher fidelity graphics. Unfortunately the 360 port suffers from some input lag from what I hear.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Marc wrote:Wondering which game someone well-versed in Toaplan shooters would consider a good starting point for someone wanting to try and tackle one seriously? I've played most of them over the years, but in sporadic bursts, and not with the sorts of frequency that allows me to compare them properly. Was playing some Twin Hawk last night and decided I'm going to sit down and dedicate some time to at least one of them, because I absolutely love their style.
V V, Tatsujin, or Hishozame.
OmegaFlareX wrote:Daisenpuu (JP original of Twin Hawk) is apparently easier and more balanced, give that a try first. Also, once you have enemy placements memorized, you can pop a squadron and just hang out at the very top of the screen.
Everyone, please ignore this "advice".
WelshMegalodon wrote:I know you posted this an entire month ago, but MAME's built-in UI has been perfectly serviceable for years now and has a search function that lets you find whatever game you want to play in seconds. The "medal garbage and non-working drivers" don't really make a difference because you can just type in the romset name of your desired game and play without ever having to acknowledge their existence.
The way the search works is even worse than the Windows UI version. Instead of actually giving you what you want, it has some kind of "relevancy" system that only bumps things it finds relevant to the top of the list; in many cases you don't even get what you want unless you know exactly what MAME happens to call it.
crazyrexz wrote:greetings fellow shmupers , im playing raiden legacy on android today, i cant continue because credits is limited, is the credits can be adjusted with some tricks maybe ?
Don't play Raiden Legacy. It's a defective product.
horaceappleton wrote:What are people's impressions of the Xbox 360 port of Radiant Silvergun? Any interesting features compared to the Saturn version? Downsides?
Ikaruga mode.

It's a mere $15, as opposed to the Saturn version's multiple $100s.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

Despatche wrote:
OmegaFlareX wrote:Daisenpuu (JP original of Twin Hawk) is apparently easier and more balanced, give that a try first. Also, once you have enemy placements memorized, you can pop a squadron and just hang out at the very top of the screen.
I'm gonna have to jump in here to agree with OmegaFlareX's recommendation and disagree with Despatche again. After grabbing a clear and learning more about Daisenpuu, I still find it to be a worthwhile game to play. In fact, I find Daisenpuu with autofire + helpers (and hugging the top of the screen) to be more interesting and challenging than the first 14 loops of Vimana, all 3 loops of Fire Barrel, and Gekirindan. The "helper trick" that everyone likes to bring up doesn't ruin the game, and there should be no obligation to follow a ruleset where you can't use helpers. You shouldn't feel obligated to play it like Hishouzame because a few people don't enjoy playing with the helpers. Pulling off the "helper trick" requires knowledge and accurate execution, not to mention it becomes very difficult to pull off in the later loops. Losing a single helper will often cause your defensive wall to quickly crumble, leaving little room for error, and it's useless against the bosses (which means you will have to reset your helpers many times in a loop).

Here is a video of Perikles' 2-ALL displaying the method we are discussing.

I'm also going to add this except from the description of his video.
Perikles wrote:One other aspect that might appear cheap at first is the combination of the helper squadron and hugging the top of the screen. Since every enemy will aim its shots at the player, you can effectively protect your auxiliary unit that way whilst unleashing rapacious destruction. And there are indeed sections where rather simple movements and a iota of familiarity will reduce the difficulty by a lot. Nonetheless, if you plan on doing this for the entire game, you need both a precise route as well as unblemished execution as later enemies will immediatey kill you if you don't sit right on top of them. It might even be entirely impossible in certain sections of higher loops, and bosses are immune to such behaviour in any case. I have no qualms utilizing this strategy when I feel it is beneficial and reasonably consistent to use, I don't concur it trivializes the game any more than, say, a similarly thorough knowledge of Image Fight or War of Aero will deaden the challenge.
While I believe it's fair to dislike the helpers and play an alternate ruleset to suit others taste, the game is certainly not broken.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

Is anyone aware if Steam version of Shikigami no Shiro supports 4:3 resolutions? Any special observation about this release that I should be aware of before buying? Thanks in advance.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

so I'm warming up to Deathsmiles IIX on the Xbox 360 and got confused about the patch
question: does the patch correct stuff only in Arcade mode or does it also interfere with X mode as well?
ReSe2k

Post by ReSe2k »

I saw that Deathsmiles on Steam has three Soundtrack DLCs, are they usable in-game or is it just mp3s?
xxx128

Post by xxx128 »

Are you people aware of that there is a new Aleste in the works?
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Yes, and I'm waiting for more information about it.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

!Esprade scoring/game behaviour!

After you have a max. 200 red boxes, is there still a real need to collect red boxes? Or shoud the focus be on 16x multiplier through the enemies?

Also is there a bigger bullet cancel radius after 200 max? What is the bullet cancelling dependent of in this game?
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Giga Wing: I wonder if anyone knows the near-perfect multipliers for Ruby/Carmine.
I guess that stage 1 should net you a 6M multiplier, and the gem/coin value should be at +3000 before the boss, and +4000 (wild guess!) after the boss. What about the other stages?
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Randorama wrote:Giga Wing: I wonder if anyone knows the near-perfect multipliers for Ruby/Carmine.
I guess that stage 1 should net you a 6M multiplier, and the gem/coin value should be at +3000 before the boss, and +4000 (wild guess!) after the boss. What about the other stages?
Just watch a replay?

https://youtu.be/wgPieC_Z1Uw
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
blossom

Post by blossom »

Anyone have suggestions for something like Judgement Silversword and Eschatos, games without a ton of complexity to their scoring? I find that games are far more rewarding to grind when I don't need to read a long ass document to play them.
crazyrexz

Post by crazyrexz »

Despatche wrote:
Marc wrote:Wondering which game someone well-versed in Toaplan shooters would consider a good starting point for someone wanting to try and tackle one seriously? I've played most of them over the years, but in sporadic bursts, and not with the sorts of frequency that allows me to compare them properly. Was playing some Twin Hawk last night and decided I'm going to sit down and dedicate some time to at least one of them, because I absolutely love their style.
V V, Tatsujin, or Hishozame.
WelshMegalodon wrote:I know you posted this an entire month ago, but MAME's built-in UI has been perfectly serviceable for years now and has a search function that lets you find whatever game you want to play in seconds. The "medal garbage and non-working drivers" don't really make a difference because you can just type in the romset name of your desired game and play without ever having to acknowledge their existence.
The way the search works is even worse than the Windows UI version. Instead of actually giving you what you want, it has some kind of "relevancy" system that only bumps things it finds relevant to the top of the list; in many cases you don't even get what you want unless you know exactly what MAME happens to call it.
crazyrexz wrote:greetings fellow shmupers , im playing raiden legacy on android today, i cant continue because credits is limited, is the credits can be adjusted with some tricks maybe ?
Don't play Raiden Legacy. It's a defective product.
Ikaruga mode.

It's a mere $15, as opposed to the Saturn version's multiple $100s.
i didnt know of defective my friend . as it plays well so far
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Plasmo wrote:
Just watch a replay?
Thanks!

I am currently in China, so I forgot that youtube existed (seriously!). Do you have links that do not require VPN, by chance? Thanks in advance.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Randorama wrote:
Plasmo wrote:
Just watch a replay?
Thanks!

I am currently in China, so I forgot that youtube existed (seriously!). Do you have links that do not require VPN, by chance? Thanks in advance.
That's tough! Is nico fine? The same replay can also be found there: https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm9350516

In fact, that is also where it was originally uploaded.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
MrChiggins

Post by MrChiggins »

How do I turn off Raiden Fighters 2's 2nd loop in the mame original board rom? Last night I 1-ALLed it for the first time and it unexpectedly went into a 2nd loop :? . There doesn't seem to be an option in service mode.

Also, is the 10mil point bonus at the end of a 1 loop clear (with loop 2 being turned off) just for beating it on a single credit?
cisco678

Post by cisco678 »

I've been working on purchasing console/dedicated PC hardware for playing STGs. I have everything covered by Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, NEC, etc. I was told to look at a Sharp X68000 and MSX2. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

I think whether the game loops or not is just based on the region of the board. Japan is 1 loop and many (most?) other regions are 2 loops, I want to say.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Plasmo: nicovideo is working fine...At work. Whatever, thank you very much!
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I don't think anyone answered this yet. But to those that played Dariusburst: Chronicle Saviours, what was the point of Kyokkuho? It acts like a bonus stage and it's only unlocked after clearing every area in the game, but despite its long length, it doesn't feel like a grand finale at all. Heck, the ending for that stage even says the Belsar are still loose. But Suriaha has that definitive grand finale compared to Kyokkuho.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Raiden III is currently $1.49 on gog. Big fan of IV - how does it compare?
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Deadliar

Post by Deadliar »

It's like 4 but 1 less
Play for fun and win when you can.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

What’s the fastest way to max out my money in Mars Matrix? I’ve been playing the hell out of the game lately.
blossom

Post by blossom »

I know I can't be the only one, how many other people choose a ship/character based largely on its color? For example I've been trying to learn DDP DOJ and I gravitated almost immediately to type B, just because it's green and there is no way I'm ever going to second guess myself "is that a bullet?" in the heat of the moment. The first DDP, both type C and type A make me nervous with how the ship colors are practically bullet colors.