Seimitsu History

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Swevicus

Re: Seimitsu History

Post by Swevicus »

I've just had a thought: how DID one get arcade machine parts pre-Internet? Let's say we're living in the 80s and I want to build a controller for my Atari or Amiga computer (because the sticks back then were crap), then how would I go about it?
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

In the US, when Happ parts were the standard, you could just seek out Happ Controls. Though back then I feel the number of enthusiasts going so far as to build their own controllers would have been very small.

If you're talking about Japanese parts, I feel like they only became known and popular here nearing 2000.
Swevicus

Post by Swevicus »

I see. I live in Europe, so things might have been a little different - we had Suzo (now Suzo-Happ), IL (which are really the classic Happ parts most US gamers remember - the Happ parts of today are crap) and Alberici (from Italy)... so maybe Japanese parts made their way here sooner.
d0s

Post by d0s »

The AES lever was used in several other ASCII sticks like the Stick II Turbo series for Famicom and MSX/atari standard. It is made by Seimitsu, and so is the lever in the older metal ASCII Famicom stick. I really like all of these for console stuff and I believe the Stick II Turbo is hands down the best controller for X68000 because of the button reverse feature (there was no real standard for button 1 & 2 on this system so devs did whatever), variable autofire, and ability to change between 4-way and 8-way. Also, and this is very important, it has LEDs that light up according to your inputs

And yeah Seimitsu all the way. I use a LS-56 and PS-14-GNs on my 360/PC stick, and LS-32s & PS-14-GN on my Astro City panel (matching the original stick & buttons distributed with that cab)
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

just out of curiosity: do all of you touting the LS-32 for shmups use them for fighters as well?
d0s

Post by d0s »

maxtherabbit wrote:just out of curiosity: do all of you touting the LS-32 for shmups use them for fighters as well?
I use them for older fighters because it was pretty much the standard until the mid 90's and they were almost certainly developed and tested with that stick. Just about every control box had them as well. For later stuff I use JLF if I feel like swapping panels.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

maxtherabbit wrote:just out of curiosity: do all of you touting the LS-32 for shmups use them for fighters as well?
The LS-32 has become my exclusive lever for both shmups and fighters. I even use it for playing retro console games via emulation as well and classic arcade games via mame.

Unfortunately I can't use it for games such as Smash Bros but for games that allow me to use a stick the LS-32 will definitely be the lever of choice.

Originally I like many people had a lever for fighting games and one for shmups. Then I came to a realization that it got annoying changing joysticks all the time so I decided to stick with one. The JLF was fine for fighters but was terrible for shmups. The LS-32 on the other hand was great for shmups and acceptable for Fighters. So I stuck with the LS-32 and have gotten use to the minor pivoting/popping issue of the lever.

With the "NEW" 2017 model of the LS-32 I noticed that the pivotting/popping issue isn't as severe and very minor now I've come to love the LS-32 even more to the point where I'm planning on installing LS-32 levers in all my sticks.

The most difficulty I would have when using a stick would be your traditional 2D fighters. I'd have greater difficulty with games such as Guilty Gear/Blazblue that required air dashing and tons of button presses and multiple directional inputs.

The popping/pivoting of the stick would bother me at times.

3D fighters like Virtua Fighter/Soul Calibur/Tekken were a lot easier with a stick and benefits in my opinion from the shorter throw and engage of the LS-32. With 3D fighters I find movement is easier because its mainly back and forth movements. None of these complicated quarter circle or half circle inputs.

I don't know how some people can play shmups with a JLF... I just can't. It throw or engage is so long I feel like I'm playing on a laggy monitor or something. To me it's unplayable but I've read people on here that claim they can.

I could make a Hayabusa lever work for shmups but its better to go with the LS-32. LS-40 for shmups/fighters in my opinion is fine too but because of how tight the engage is you can easily mess up your inputs. It is a very unforgiving stick as you need to be very subtle and gentle with your inputs.

Again just a reminder I'm no pro or expert when it comes to shmups or fighters. I'm just a gamer with an opinion :)
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Necro thread bump with bit of Seimitsu history found in a Japanese interview. Part one talks about the history and part two is more about their newer stuff aimed at consumer joystick modders such as the Nobi levers, silent LSQ-40 and new silent buttons that are still being developed.

https://esports-world.jp/interview/10298

https://esports-world.jp/interview/10298?page=2