shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:28 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Optoma HD27HDR Projector
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:26 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 127
Location: Salem OR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4DfgVGKbt4

Pretty good for the price($480). Supports 1080p/120hz mode and is rated for 8.3ms. Excellent low motion blur and you have a nice little portable projector than handles plenty of resolutions and doesn't break your wallet.
_________________
PC,PS4>DENONX4300H>LG OLED65C7
DC,Xbox,SS,GEN32XCD,SNES,N64>Samsung 55Q8FN
3DO,360,Wii>SONY 34XBR910


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Optoma HD27HDR Projector
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:35 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 20 Aug 2016
Posts: 1192
I almost bought one of those. I wish it had an RGBRGB color wheel. :(
_________________
We apologize for the inconvenience


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Optoma HD27HDR Projector
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:43 am 


User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 127
Location: Salem OR
Agreed, but for $480 it's good enough for me. The 1080p/120hz and really low motion blur were clinchers for me. Now I can use my JVC for movies and this Optoma for gaming.
_________________
PC,PS4>DENONX4300H>LG OLED65C7
DC,Xbox,SS,GEN32XCD,SNES,N64>Samsung 55Q8FN
3DO,360,Wii>SONY 34XBR910


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Optoma HD27HDR Projector
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:12 am 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Feb 2005
Posts: 798
Location: Italy
Flip projector on its side -> Best affordable solution for big-screen Tate mode :P


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Optoma HD27HDR Projector
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:57 am 



Joined: 11 Dec 2014
Posts: 342
I was interested in getting this. But it's not a short throw projector, so I don't think you can do smaller screen sizes (<70") right?
It's also supposedly kind of noisy


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Optoma HD27HDR Projector
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:49 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 20 Aug 2016
Posts: 1192
@BahnYuki

At 120Hz, are rainbows an issue for you or has it been okay?

I have been disappointed with single chip DLP at high frame rates. The color wheel just can't "keep up" with 120Hz and playing games gets painful.
_________________
We apologize for the inconvenience


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Optoma HD27HDR Projector
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:27 am 



Joined: 11 Dec 2014
Posts: 342
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma ... Review.htm This review mentions rainbows not being that noticeable to that person.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Optoma HD27HDR Projector
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:00 am 


User avatar

Joined: 20 Aug 2016
Posts: 1192
BONKERS wrote:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD27HDR-Review.htm This review mentions rainbows not being that noticeable to that person.


I saw that, but the reviewer seems to use movies to test. Their 120Hz testing seems very limited.

At that 60Hz, you're getting at least a 4x color wheel. It's mechanical, so there are limits to what can be done; by the time we get the refresh up to 120Hz, things are spread (awfully) thin. At that point, it's like the old days.

That is a pretty good review site, but they definitely don't boot up a dozen games on an RTX2080ti and play through at 120fps. I still think a game of Dishonored at 120fps would quickly turn painful.
_________________
We apologize for the inconvenience


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Optoma HD27HDR Projector
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:19 am 



Joined: 11 Dec 2014
Posts: 342
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4DfgVGKbt4 here's some 60FPS footage of a SNES game.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digit ... st58052930
From this post.

Also a few posts above some other person talks about only seeing rainbows at 120hz when intentionally moving the mouse extremely fast. But doesn't mention any gaming at 120.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Optoma HD27HDR Projector
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:16 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 127
Location: Salem OR
orange808 wrote:
@BahnYuki

At 120Hz, are rainbows an issue for you or has it been okay?

I have been disappointed with single chip DLP at high frame rates. The color wheel just can't "keep up" with 120Hz and playing games gets painful.
I normally have issues with rainbows if I turn my head quickly. While 2d games through mister surprised me at 60hz with very little rainbows unless I turn my head really quickly.

As for 120hz in Shadow of the Tomb Raider I haven't found any issues even when turning my head quickly. Could be the game or the refresh rate effecting things.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
_________________
PC,PS4>DENONX4300H>LG OLED65C7
DC,Xbox,SS,GEN32XCD,SNES,N64>Samsung 55Q8FN
3DO,360,Wii>SONY 34XBR910


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Optoma HD27HDR Projector
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:57 pm 



Joined: 30 May 2019
Posts: 3
Is anyone aware of the input lag on 480p sources for this projector? Optoma claims that the projector is capable of 8.3ms input lag at 1080p 120hz and 16ms input lag at 1080p 60hz, but I’m even doubtful of those claims because the avsforums thread about this projector has people in it stating that even for 1080p 120hz sources the input lag is 16ms, and this issue is going to be corrected with a firmware update that hasn’t been released yet. I’m interested in using 6th generation consoles with this projector so it would be useful to know if 480p 60hz sources have the same amount of input lag as 1080p 60hz sources (16ms). I asked Optoma directly and got a non-answer, although I do know that for many LCD gaming monitors 480p 60hz sources are displayed with the same amount of input lag as 1080p 60hz sources. The projector’s manual says that it also does 480i but I assume like other modern displays 480i images are displayed poorly and are processed with additional lag.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Optoma HD27HDR Projector
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:13 am 


User avatar

Joined: 20 Aug 2016
Posts: 1192
diamondtron wrote:
Is anyone aware of the input lag on 480p sources for this projector? Optoma claims that the projector is capable of 8.3ms input lag at 1080p 120hz and 16ms input lag at 1080p 60hz, but I’m even doubtful of those claims because the avsforums thread about this projector has people in it stating that even for 1080p 120hz sources the input lag is 16ms, and this issue is going to be corrected with a firmware update that hasn’t been released yet. I’m interested in using 6th generation consoles with this projector so it would be useful to know if 480p 60hz sources have the same amount of input lag as 1080p 60hz sources (16ms). I asked Optoma directly and got a non-answer, although I do know that for many LCD gaming monitors 480p 60hz sources are displayed with the same amount of input lag as 1080p 60hz sources. The projector’s manual says that it also does 480i but I assume like other modern displays 480i images are displayed poorly and are processed with additional lag.


Should be one frame of lag for 1080p, two frames for everything else.
_________________
We apologize for the inconvenience


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Optoma HD27HDR Projector
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:29 pm 



Joined: 30 May 2019
Posts: 3
orange808 wrote:
Should be one frame of lag for 1080p, two frames for everything else.


I’m not sure what you’re saying here or how you’re determining this. I’m aware that 16.6ms of input lag on a 60fps game will equate to one frame. I want to find out if 480p@60hz lags more than 1080p@60hz. For most similar projectors the input lag is equal for 480p@60hz and 1080p@60hz, but this projector requires you to enable an “Enhanced Gaming Mode” that I don’t think is available at resolutions that aren’t 1080p@60hz or 1080p@120hz.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Optoma HD27HDR Projector
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:54 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 20 Aug 2016
Posts: 1192
diamondtron wrote:
orange808 wrote:
Should be one frame of lag for 1080p, two frames for everything else.


I’m not sure what you’re saying here or how you’re determining this. I’m aware that 16.6ms of input lag on a 60fps game will equate to one frame. I want to find out if 480p@60hz lags more than 1080p@60hz. For most similar projectors the input lag is equal for 480p@60hz and 1080p@60hz, but this projector requires you to enable an “Enhanced Gaming Mode” that I don’t think is available at resolutions that aren’t 1080p@60hz or 1080p@120hz.


All these inexpensive single chip DLP are TI machines. They are all based on the same chipset. So, it's not just "this projector". It's all the inexpensive single chip DLP. They all have the same features baked in.

(Barco is coy about what they are putting in their sim projectors, but I bet that's TI as well. It's probably all Texas Instruments at the high end, too.)

The TI game mode has 16 2/3 ms with 1080p/60Hz input. Absolutely all other input signals (anything and everything that isn't 1080p) will be about 33ms of lag at 60Hz. Two frames at 60Hz. Scaling non-1080p adds a frame (or about 16ms more) of video processing delay.

The chipset always uses a full frame buffer to allow for rear projection and ceiling projector placement. Although, the response time is almost instant, so the projector finishes "drawing" each 1080p frame at almost the exact same time a rolling scan CRT would.

Everything is else is slower. At 480p, it "starts" drawing at two frames behind a CRT and finishes at one frame behind.

I have only spent a few minutes with a 120Hz single chip DLP. So, I have no idea what the latency is. Although, I assume the 1080p input is identical: one frame buffered, almost instant video processing, and almost instant "scanout". Should be about 8 1/3 ms for 1080p/120Hz.

The scaling algorithm for non-1080p seems to take about 16ms, so I guess the 120Hz latency for non-1080p is about 25ms. That's just a guess, but I bet I'm right.
_________________
We apologize for the inconvenience


Last edited by orange808 on Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Optoma HD27HDR Projector
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:58 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Oct 2016
Posts: 387
Location: n/america
orange808 wrote:
I almost bought one of those. I wish it had an RGBRGB color wheel. :(


when you say rgbrgb, do you mean the wheel that has 7 spaces (ie an extra one for white) or are there others that only have 6?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Optoma HD27HDR Projector
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:04 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 20 Aug 2016
Posts: 1192
vol.2 wrote:
orange808 wrote:
I almost bought one of those. I wish it had an RGBRGB color wheel. :(


when you say rgbrgb, do you mean the wheel that has 7 spaces (ie an extra one for white) or are there others that only have 6?


"Six segment", but that should probably always be in quotes. :)

Color wheels:
http://www.projectorjunkies.com/color-wheel-dlp/

Rainbow effect:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digit ... s-etc.html
_________________
We apologize for the inconvenience


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Optoma HD27HDR Projector
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:43 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Oct 2016
Posts: 387
Location: n/america
orange808 wrote:
vol.2 wrote:
orange808 wrote:
I almost bought one of those. I wish it had an RGBRGB color wheel. :(


when you say rgbrgb, do you mean the wheel that has 7 spaces (ie an extra one for white) or are there others that only have 6?


"Six segment", but that should probably always be in quotes. :)

Color wheels:
http://www.projectorjunkies.com/color-wheel-dlp/

Rainbow effect:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digit ... s-etc.html


Thanks. I read the German article as well.

Okay, so I found conflicting information on the one I use, a PJD7828HDL. It's always advertised as 6 segment, but in one place, it's listed as having a "small white segment." Would you happen to know anything about these ViewSonics color wheels?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Optoma HD27HDR Projector
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:34 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 20 Aug 2016
Posts: 1192
vol.2 wrote:
.
Okay, so I found conflicting information on the one I use, a PJD7828HDL. It's always advertised as 6 segment, but in one place, it's listed as having a "small white segment." Would you happen to know anything about these ViewSonics color wheels?


I have not seen that one.

Looking at the specs and a review, it looks like a RGBCYW to me. That's just judging from the brightness and observations on the color.

Viewsonic is very clear about using an RGBRGB wheel in the PX800HD, but they avoid talking about the color wheel on the PJD7828HDL product page.

Everything about that says RGBCYW to me.
_________________
We apologize for the inconvenience


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Optoma HD27HDR Projector
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:09 am 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Oct 2016
Posts: 387
Location: n/america
orange808 wrote:
vol.2 wrote:
.
Okay, so I found conflicting information on the one I use, a PJD7828HDL. It's always advertised as 6 segment, but in one place, it's listed as having a "small white segment." Would you happen to know anything about these ViewSonics color wheels?


I have not seen that one.

Looking at the specs and a review, it looks like a RGBCYW to me. That's just judging from the brightness and observations on the color.

Viewsonic is very clear about using an RGBRGB wheel in the PX800HD, but they avoid talking about the color wheel on the PJD7828HDL product page.

Everything about that says RGBCYW to me.


Understood, thanks for your analysis.

It looks good enough to me tho and I picked it up for $300. I guess I don't really notice the RBE, so as long as that's the case, I'll hold off.

What's your opinion of DLP vs Laser?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Optoma HD27HDR Projector
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:00 am 


User avatar

Joined: 20 Aug 2016
Posts: 1192
vol.2 wrote:
orange808 wrote:
vol.2 wrote:
.
Okay, so I found conflicting information on the one I use, a PJD7828HDL. It's always advertised as 6 segment, but in one place, it's listed as having a "small white segment." Would you happen to know anything about these ViewSonics color wheels?


I have not seen that one.

Looking at the specs and a review, it looks like a RGBCYW to me. That's just judging from the brightness and observations on the color.

Viewsonic is very clear about using an RGBRGB wheel in the PX800HD, but they avoid talking about the color wheel on the PJD7828HDL product page.

Everything about that says RGBCYW to me.


Understood, thanks for your analysis.

It looks good enough to me tho and I picked it up for $300. I guess I don't really notice the RBE, so as long as that's the case, I'll hold off.

What's your opinion of DLP vs Laser?


I guess you could use laser with any tech you wanted.

But, Sony's SXRD wipes the floor with DLP. :)
_________________
We apologize for the inconvenience


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Optoma HD27HDR Projector
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:48 am 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Oct 2016
Posts: 387
Location: n/america
orange808 wrote:
vol.2 wrote:
orange808 wrote:

I guess you could use laser with any tech you wanted.

But, Sony's SXRD wipes the floor with DLP. :)


Ooooof. That's $$$.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: borti4938, fernan1234, Gunstar, Ruprit, rx7turbo233 and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group