B&O MX4/6/7000 - troubleshooting and general information

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
hemipode

Re: B&O MX4/6/7000 - troubleshooting and general information

Post by hemipode »

Hello,
Thought I'd try and see if anyone here would have any idea of what could be the culprit of this type of horizontal shadows
showing up with white areas. Aside from this, the set is perfectly fine.
(MX4000 sw 4.7)

Grateful for any directions or ideas.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Usually the culprit is lack of proper isolation in video cables.
hemipode

Post by hemipode »

Thanks for the reply, kamiboy.

The dark streaking goes for menus in the tv as well even when not using AV.
It also has these bulging geometry issues, non-fixable with the service menu or adjustments to the yoke.

Maybe I'll just throw it away and get a good upscaler. Everyone's hoarded all the good monitors by now.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

I am pretty satisfied with the MX4200 and Beovisio 1 B&O CRT’s that I own. I think they too exhibit something similar, but not to the same extent. The contrast andvor brightness settings might influence the severity of the effect. I guess it all comes down to how anal one is when it comes to picture quality.

You are right though in that most of the good CRT stock have already been hoarded by enthusiasts. Alas, CRT alternatives have problems of their own. Retro gaming is an exercise in choosing which cons one most prefers to have.
flex

Post by flex »

Hi Guys! Sorry to resurect an old thread but I just picked up an MX7000 for next to nothing but it wont currently switch on and I see no red standby light at all. It has a 2 pin Euro plug on the end of the cable which I have plugged into an adapter (I am in the UK so a 3 pin adapter) and the TV is rated for 240V AC.

I assume the fuse would be a good place to start, does anyone have any experiences of the MX range for things I could look out for?
Initial-d

Post by Initial-d »

I just got hold of a nice condition MX6000, had the back off to give it a clean and dust and adjust the focus. I’ve been through the service menus but other than using magnetic strips how can I adjust convergence on these sets?

It doesn’t have the options like my old BVM did. 8)
MKL

Post by MKL »

Initial-d wrote:I just got hold of a nice condition MX6000, had the back off to give it a clean and dust and adjust the focus. I’ve been through the service menus but other than using magnetic strips how can I adjust convergence on these sets?

No you can't adjust convergence in any way. Even the static convergence (center of screen) is impossible because Philips tubes don't have adjustable rings on the neck. Convergence strips are never used on these tubes either. It's possible that the convergence while not perfect is within tolerance, i.e. it was like that from the beginning and was deemed OK at the CRT factory, and that you are picky about it due to your previous experience with the BVM. If you can't adjust to it I'd suggest you get a Sony PC monitor like CPD-E500E which costs next to nothing and allows to adjust convergence through OSD. Coupled with a OSSC should give a picture pretty much identical to that of a BVM with 15KHz sources.
Shining

Post by Shining »

Do anyone know if the LX2500 and LX2800 models supports NTSC/RGB through the SCART input?
Initial-d

Post by Initial-d »

MKL wrote:
Initial-d wrote:I just got hold of a nice condition MX6000, had the back off to give it a clean and dust and adjust the focus. I’ve been through the service menus but other than using magnetic strips how can I adjust convergence on these sets?

No you can't adjust convergence in any way. Even the static convergence (center of screen) is impossible because Philips tubes don't have adjustable rings on the neck. Convergence strips are never used on these tubes either. It's possible that the convergence while not perfect is within tolerance, i.e. it was like that from the beginning and was deemed OK at the CRT factory, and that you are picky about it due to your previous experience with the BVM. If you can't adjust to it I'd suggest you get a Sony PC monitor like CPD-E500E which costs next to nothing and allows to adjust convergence through OSD. Coupled with a OSSC should give a picture pretty much identical to that of a BVM with 15KHz sources.
Thanks for the in-depth reply and suggestion, it’s me just being picky to be fair. As much as I loved the BVM it was too perfect!
SkyVII

Post by SkyVII »

This Beovision MX has more hours ( 11-17 years ) than any PVM and BVM ( vs 40.000 hours ). What so great with Beovision? How many scanlines does it have?
flex

Post by flex »

I am currently trying to resurrect an MX7000 from the dead.... I have succeeded in replacing a faulty transistor and some caps and the TV now turns on, however it will now only stay on for a few minutes before returning to standby mode. I have started another thread about it here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63634

Sorry for the duplicate post but I am soooo close to getting this thing going again, I really need some help on what might still be wrong and I can see there are some really clued up guys on this thread regarding these TV's.

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi.......
Theboy996

Post by Theboy996 »

Is there any way to factory reset the geometry values ​​of a mx 7000? Thank you
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

Theboy996 wrote:Is there any way to factory reset the geometry values ​​of a mx 7000? Thank you
Nope there never is in any TV even current gen TV technology. Service menu’s are for power users only. The only way to fix problems with geometry is to properly change the settings in the service menu. Some geometry issues can only be fixed with special magnets and/or capacitor replacement.
flex

Post by flex »

Finally got myself a working MX7000 :D Lovely set! well impressed with those scanlines and the sound... so bassssyy!

One small niggle is I have noticed that on some games some horizontal platforms can sort of ghost out slightly across the screen, you have to be looking quite hard to notice them but would be nice to know what might cause this?
miklodeon

Post by miklodeon »

<
Psy-Q wrote:Does anyone have a clue how to get to the service menu in the MX 3500? I opened up the back but I couldn't find any service jumper, <certainly not in the location the MX4000 has its jumper.
<
<Also, how do I get this thing to save picture settings (brilliance, color...)? I've tried "STORE" and "S.STORE" after setting everything up, the next time I <start the TV, it has forgotten about it.
MX3500 service menu is accessible from service mode plug P48 on PCB5. Its located right from the av1 connector. Be careful when the chassis is open.
jonas_gti

Post by jonas_gti »

hello i am new in this forum i try ed to create the topic but it didn't show up :) i read the rules i didnt break any rules at all :) but this topic its a little bit similar so i will ask my question here :)
I am a retro-gamer and finally decided to buy a crt tv. i am not gonna use crt for anything else only the video games. and the consoles winch i am going to use is 16-64bit era everything what from 128bit its completely fine for my to use on modern tv :)
so iam choosing between mx7000 and mx8000.
can some one tell my the biggest differences between these tvs ? the price its the same and i am able to find both of them easy and cheap :)
i can find information about mx7000 but i cant find anything about mx8000 and i read in this forum someone mentioned what mx8000 does nt have scandilines. if its true this is the big minus for me.
so maybie some one here had both off them and can help me to choose the correct one for my need :)
thanks for your attention :)
nem

Post by nem »

Not a whole lot of discussion on the old, old B&Os.

I just picked up a MX2000 Type 3116 with remote. Manufacturing year is 1985-1988. Connected the Saturn to it. Picture quality was OK, however, the picture was shifted to the left and top. Pretty much 1/4 of the screen was out of view. That can't do, so I ripped open the casing.

https://i.imgur.com/QaQX5Lj.jpg

Holy shit, all of the picture controls are super accessible right in front of you. It's like an arcade monitor.

Took out the cordless drill and made some holes to the casing and I now have this:

https://i.imgur.com/iMQ7xU9.jpg

Admittedly, could have been neater, but it serves its purpose. Hopefully David Lewis won't come to haunt me :shock:
MKL

Post by MKL »

It's a design that was used by more than one manufacturer (German ones especially) in those years.

https://i.imgur.com/caV1wOr.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Bk3i68i.jpg :lol:
nem

Post by nem »

Seeing your second pic makes my effort look terrible. If I had a 3D printer I would make a long rectangular cut and print a cover for it.

Anyway, it's the first time I've seen one like that. Usually the pots are everywhere on the chassis, mostly in super awkward places. Plus it has both side pincushion and parallelogram adjustments. I consider those rare.
MKL

Post by MKL »

nem wrote:Anyway, it's the first time I've seen one like that. Usually the pots are everywhere on the chassis, mostly in super awkward places.
Yes, it's unusual. Here's another example (Italian set made by Seleco):

https://i.imgur.com/8ml1RtK.jpg
nem wrote: Plus it has both side pincushion and parallelogram adjustments. I consider those rare.
My pics are of a 17" model where EW correction is not necessary. Yours is a bigger set with a 110° tube so they are necessary.
neonxaos

Post by neonxaos »

Hi everyone

I have a maddening problem with my MX 4200 and my PAL Saturn. I am connecting the machine to my TV using a Csync Scart cable (bought from a respected producer on eBay), but the image is shifted to the left, and after some fiddling, I have discovered that it can't be fixed using the service menu. When I shift the image to the right, it becomes apparent that about 5% of the left side of the image is completely missing, not just hidden.

I have tried two different Saturn machines, but they both exhibit this problem. I have another Scart cable that came with the second machine, and it seems to reveal a little more of the image, so perhaps there is a problem with my main cable. The latter works fine on my HDTV though. I tried it on my MX 1500 as well, and the image is still shifted to the left, but that system doesn't have any service menu, so I can't really tell of the problem is the same.

I tried hooking up my Mega Drive to the same port using another Csync cable, and the image is shifted a little to the left on that as well, but for some reason I can just move it to the right, and nothing appears to be cut off entirely. Same thing with my GameCube.

This problem is driving me a little crazy, does anyone have any idea what might be going on here?
neonxaos

Post by neonxaos »

Well, it appears that I have somehow gotten hold of two faulty RGB cables. They both display the same issue on my flatscreen TV as well, and it happens on both of my machines. I will try and find a better cable and comment on the results here, in case anyone else experiences this problem in the future.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

neonxaos wrote:Well, it appears that I have somehow gotten hold of two faulty RGB cables. They both display the same issue on my flatscreen TV as well, and it happens on both of my machines. I will try and find a better cable and comment on the results here, in case anyone else experiences this problem in the future.
That's a strange issue indeed. Who's the eBay seller you bought these cables from?
Shk04090144

Post by Shk04090144 »

neonxaos wrote:Hi everyone

I have a maddening problem with my MX 4200 and my PAL Saturn. I am connecting the machine to my TV using a Csync Scart cable (bought from a respected producer on eBay), but the image is shifted to the left, and after some fiddling, I have discovered that it can't be fixed using the service menu. When I shift the image to the right, it becomes apparent that about 5% of the left side of the image is completely missing, not just hidden.

I have tried two different Saturn machines, but they both exhibit this problem. I have another Scart cable that came with the second machine, and it seems to reveal a little more of the image, so perhaps there is a problem with my main cable. The latter works fine on my HDTV though. I tried it on my MX 1500 as well, and the image is still shifted to the left, but that system doesn't have any service menu, so I can't really tell of the problem is the same.

I tried hooking up my Mega Drive to the same port using another Csync cable, and the image is shifted a little to the left on that as well, but for some reason I can just move it to the right, and nothing appears to be cut off entirely. Same thing with my GameCube.

This problem is driving me a little crazy, does anyone have any idea what might be going on here?
Hey neon, i have the same “issue” but my set it’s an mx6000, have the same problem with the imagine tiltes to the left, the only thing is that mine after a while or resetting both console and tv it works, i have a ps2 with cheap rgb cable and gamecube and snes thru composite to scart as I don’t have rgb yet, my question is does your set says 50hz on the back and not 50/60hz?
Have you tried using 50hz console and then try to play pal60 and it breaks the hpf?
I think this could be something to do with a capacitor going bad on our set or is your working already?, mine sometimes works first try while sometimes I have to reset the console or change disk games console anything.. this is driving me crazy too lol
Shk04090144

Post by Shk04090144 »

Neon i have the same issue how did you fixed this? Is it really the cables? Mines seem to work sometimes and sometimes it doesn’t it’s more of a boot up thing, on av the screen is full black but wheni turn on the console its tilted to the left, but sometimes not and it works perfect so I don’t understand do i changed all the service and you can’t fix this with service menu as you stared
Makinx

Post by Makinx »

Shk04090144 wrote: Hey neon, i have the same “issue” but my set it’s an mx6000, have the same problem with the imagine tiltes to the left, the only thing is that mine after a while or resetting both console and tv it works, i have a ps2 with cheap rgb cable and gamecube and snes thru composite to scart as I don’t have rgb yet, my question is does your set says 50hz on the back and not 50/60hz?
The 50hz on the back only refers to the mains frequency the tv is compatible with and has no bearing on how it displays 60hz video.
purechoass

Post by purechoass »

Hi Everyone,

I have an MX4200 and I have completely messed up the Geometry. Anyone got any base settings I could go off?

The ones posted by
futurematt5 are incomplete and do not come close to a normal picture.

mremulator

Post by mremulator »

Been trying to figure this out literally all week and I'm now completely stumped!...

Basically, My MX7000 doesn't like my PC Engine (256x240) and displays several horizontal rows of warped pixels (changes from left to right) about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the screen. This is very noticeable on game title screens for example...

All other consoles (SNES/Saturn/Neo-geo) are fine and display perfectly without any of these issues.

So... I purchased an MX4200 thinking it must be my MX7000.

However, the MX4200 refuses to display 6 vertical rows of pixels from the left edge of the screen and about half a single line of horizontal pixels across the top?

So... I go and look at an MX8000 today... EXACTLY the same thing as the MX4200... WTF???

It's not my PC Engine or cables BTW, as tried 2x different consoles/cables... One RGB modded internally and another using an Engine Block.

What is it about 256x240 or the PCE that B&O TV's don't like? Grrr. :-(
yoZe

Post by yoZe »

Hello

Does anyone have a flyback reference for an mx 6000?
Thank's.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Pc engine sync is sketchy, you need an internal RGB mod that buffers csync before you can rule out the console.

These buffered csync mods have only become available in the past few years.

Either that or tweak your AFC settings