OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Fudoh

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by Fudoh »

I bought it but I don't know if meets the csync on pin 13 requirement.
it doesn't convert. You would still set the input to component video format, not RGB. The output doesn't provide any dedicated sync pin, if you're using YPbPr in the first place.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Hoagtech wrote:
Fudoh wrote:
I am using component so I cant to my knowledge use AV3 unless there is a Component to dsub 15 interface changer that would allow me to.
something like this? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232837060229 (UK) or https://www.ebay.com/itm/310799037608 (US)
I bought it but I don't know if meets the csync on pin 13 requirement.

this was stated in the wiki: TTL-level csync to pin 13 of DE-15 connector

This went downhill fast. I reset games and got the scrambled flashing image and the my screen lost sync entirely (blue screen) and will not play any consoles either.

I didn't think I would need the reset wire mod for the multi.
If we're talking passive component-to-DE-15/VGA adapters like those linked, they will work fine. If you were feeding the OSSC RGBS or RGBHV over AV3, then yes, S/HV absolutely need to be TTL; but, in this case, external sync doesn't come into it, because RGsB/YPbPr component have composite sync muxed on green/Y.
marqs

Post by marqs »

If the supergun has SCART RGB output without sync level conversion (series resistor is still OK), then a combination of passive SCART-to-BNC and BNC-VGA cables could do the job. Not the cheapest workaround, but possibly the best one if DIY is not an option.
marqs

Post by marqs »

Thinking that a bit further, it might be worth adding a compatibility option that would enable using AV3 csync with AV1 RGB input. Then one could utilize an unused SCART pin (e.g. 12) for connecting TTL-level sync to get around this issue. The user would then only need to solder 1 wire on OSSC board in addition to opening scart block and moving sync to that pin.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

May I ask, which might give better analog to digital audio with the OSSC, Scart or 2 RCA audio cables plugged on an RCA to 3.5mm adapter?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Lawfer wrote:May I ask, which might give better analog to digital audio with the OSSC, Scart or 2 RCA audio cables plugged on an RCA to 3.5mm adapter?
You probably won't notice a difference at all, but, assuming everything is fully-shielded, people would probably give SCART the edge, because you're not going through an adapter, but you could always get an RCA to 3.5mm TRS cable so you're not dealing with an adapter.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

I'm struggling with a way to have the autodetect function work properly with both SCART and component. The majority of my systems are on an auto-switching SCART switch, and that works perfectly by keeping the OSSC on that input constantly. The problem begins when I receive my gcompsw, and I can have all my component terminating systems into the OSSC as well. I realize there's a component in (AV2? AV3?) but would like the OSSC to autodetect sync when either is turned on. I've set the "autodetect input" setting to "All Inputs", but there is a timeout, so it doesn't work as I'd expect.

Could someone shed light on how to integrate SCART and component into the OSSC and have it autodetect without having to press a button?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ldeveraux wrote:Could someone shed light on how to integrate SCART and component into the OSSC and have it autodetect without having to press a button?
I would say the problem would be with the OSSC's firmware, because it does time out. Other devices, like switchers and converters, do not.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

The simplest thing is to just turn off the OSSC when you're not using it. Then, when you want to play, turn it on and then turn on whatever console you want to play. The switches will automatically switch and send over the sync signal with it, causing the OSSC to autodetect and switch to the relevant input.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

thebigcheese wrote:The simplest thing is to just turn off the OSSC when you're not using it. Then, when you want to play, turn it on and then turn on whatever console you want to play. The switches will automatically switch and send over the sync signal with it, causing the OSSC to autodetect and switch to the relevant input.
That's not really going to work though. When I turn the OSSC on from power off, I still need to press button 1 I think to get it off the B/W scale startup screen. Unless there's a way I don't know of to get it to actually startup ready to go, but I haven't found it.

Still, turning the OSSC on/off all the time isn't my favorite solution, I like everything on and ready to go. I wonder if it's bad for the OSSC to leave on all the time?
nmalinoski wrote:I would say the problem would be with the OSSC's firmware, because it does time out. Other devices, like switchers and converters, do not.
The autodetect feature is kind of silly, in that it scans until an indeterminate-to-me timeout is met. I realize it was added in the most recent firmware, but it seems like a bandaid rather than a feature. Maybe, as thebigcheese said, it's designed to be powered off when not in use? I could probably solve this by feeding the gcompsw into a component to SCART converter, then into the SCART switches? It seems over-complicated though...
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

It will automatically switch from the test pattern. Maybe there's a setting for that, but mine does. I don't think leaving it on all the time is necessarily bad for it, but leaving it on without an auto off for the auto switching would probably cause an early death for the chip. So really, you're always going to have to turn it off at some point.

Edit: The thing to look at, I think, are the "Initial input" setting. The second thing to note is that pressing right on your remote restarts the autodetection if it had previously timed out, so that could also work for your always-on scenario. Finally, make sure your autodetect setting is set to all inputs.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ldeveraux wrote:
thebigcheese wrote:The simplest thing is to just turn off the OSSC when you're not using it. Then, when you want to play, turn it on and then turn on whatever console you want to play. The switches will automatically switch and send over the sync signal with it, causing the OSSC to autodetect and switch to the relevant input.
That's not really going to work though. When I turn the OSSC on from power off, I still need to press button 1 I think to get it off the B/W scale startup screen. Unless there's a way I don't know of to get it to actually startup ready to go, but I haven't found it.

Still, turning the OSSC on/off all the time isn't my favorite solution, I like everything on and ready to go. I wonder if it's bad for the OSSC to leave on all the time?
Like thebigcheese said, my OSSC also starts scanning on poweron. It also starts scanning when I switch it to an input that doesn't have sync, either with the input switch button or with the remote. I think I also have the Initial Input setting configured, so you might want to look at that.
ldeveraux wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:I would say the problem would be with the OSSC's firmware, because it does time out. Other devices, like switchers and converters, do not.
The autodetect feature is kind of silly, in that it scans until an indeterminate-to-me timeout is met. I realize it was added in the most recent firmware, but it seems like a bandaid rather than a feature. Maybe, as thebigcheese said, it's designed to be powered off when not in use? I could probably solve this by feeding the gcompsw into a component to SCART converter, then into the SCART switches? It seems over-complicated though...
I don't think the OSSC is specifically designed to be powered off when not in use; if it was, marqs would have said so, and it wouldn't be a secret. Plus, there are some who do leave their OSSC on all the time.

You're going to be hard-pressed to find a good-quality, lagless YPbPr-to-RGBS converter. Most of the colorspace conversion devices go the other way.

You could run the gcompsw into a gscartsw 5.x, which would be able to pass-through the YPbPr, if you reconfigure the default component mode for AV1 from RGsB to YPbPr; the only scenario I can think of that this wouldn't be compatible with would be PS2 games that switch between RGsB and RGBS (Gran Turismo 4, for example).
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

thebigcheese wrote:It will automatically switch from the test pattern. Maybe there's a setting for that, but mine does. I don't think leaving it on all the time is necessarily bad for it, but leaving it on without an auto off for the auto switching would probably cause an early death for the chip. So really, you're always going to have to turn it off at some point.
Which chip, and is there any data for that "early death" remark? Are we talking something like a day or two off of a 30-year lifespan, or halving it?
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Oh yeah, it says in the wiki: "Test pattern is diplayed regardless of initial input setting until sync is detected on the respective input." So if I enable autodetect, then power on, it should show the test pattern until it grabs sync? I think that should work!

Since there's no way to power on/off with the remote, I wonder if I can somehow control power externally? I ask because my system is controlled by universal remote, so if I power on via Logitech, everything is ready to go. Is there a way to give power to the OSSC via remote? Like a 5V power supply switch? I would use a 5V USB cable from my TV, but it's from 2010 and likely only supplies 0.5A where the OSSC required 1A. I think my receiver has a USB, but only 0.6A.
marqs

Post by marqs »

nmalinoski wrote:I don't think the OSSC is specifically designed to be powered off when not in use; if it was, marqs would have said so, and it wouldn't be a secret. Plus, there are some who do leave their OSSC on all the time.
Keeping it always on (especially with no input) shouldn't cause any significant degradation, more important thing is to avoid hotplugging sources / displays to it while it's on.
nmalinoski wrote:You're going to be hard-pressed to find a good-quality, lagless YPbPr-to-RGBS converter. Most of the colorspace conversion devices go the other way.
Building such converter around LMH1251 or similar could be a nice small project for someone.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

nmalinoski wrote:
thebigcheese wrote:It will automatically switch from the test pattern. Maybe there's a setting for that, but mine does. I don't think leaving it on all the time is necessarily bad for it, but leaving it on without an auto off for the auto switching would probably cause an early death for the chip. So really, you're always going to have to turn it off at some point.
Which chip, and is there any data for that "early death" remark? Are we talking something like a day or two off of a 30-year lifespan, or halving it?
Don't know, thought I read here a while back that the whole point of not having autodetect always on was to keep the OSSC from constantly cycling over and over and over while not in use. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know enough about these things to pretend I know what I'm talking about. Just what I thought I remember reading here.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

marqs wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:I don't think the OSSC is specifically designed to be powered off when not in use; if it was, marqs would have said so, and it wouldn't be a secret. Plus, there are some who do leave their OSSC on all the time.
Keeping it always on (especially with no input) shouldn't cause any significant degradation, more important thing is to avoid hotplugging sources / displays to it while it's on.
nmalinoski wrote:You're going to be hard-pressed to find a good-quality, lagless YPbPr-to-RGBS converter. Most of the colorspace conversion devices go the other way.
Building such converter around LMH1251 or similar could be a nice small project for someone.
marqs, what do you mean by hotplugging while the OSSC is powered on? Do you mean switching cables while powered on?

Also, how important is the 1A power? I'm assuming very, but thought I'd ask, as I have an available 0.6A USB.
Jdurg

Post by Jdurg »

I have my OSSC in my setup and always leave the power switch "On". The only issue with doing that is the OSSC constantly is outputting a signal and the auto-switches I have see this constant "On" state and will always move over to the OSSC input even when no device is connected.

Knowing that I wouldn't be able to include my OSSC in my setup the way I want it, I did come up with a solution.

It's been a while so I forget what the parts were, but I built a load switch that will activate when it receives a +5V signal. This +5V signal comes from my SNES on the SCART cable (I only have my SNES going through my OSSC since it's my only console with zero HDMI mods available for it). When I turn on my SNES, the +5V signal is sent from the OSSC pin (I soldered a wire there) into my load switch. That activates the load switch which then allows the DC power to pass through and power on the OSSC.

Everything works like a champ now and I don't have to flip that switch or anything. Just turn on my SNES and the OSSC comes on and works its magic.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Jdurg wrote:I have my OSSC in my setup and always leave the power switch "On". The only issue with doing that is the OSSC constantly is outputting a signal and the auto-switches I have see this constant "On" state and will always move over to the OSSC input even when no device is connected.
In my experience, the OSSC only outputs a signal when first powered on--its greyscale test screen. Once it gets sync from an input and then loses that sync, it shuts off its output; so, if you were leaving the OSSC powered on, it should have dropped its output signal entirely when you shut off your SNES for the first time.

Also, a number of automatic AV switchers have numbered ports that correspond to priorities, and, when they get sync from a higher-priority port, that port takes over. For example, an always-on device, like a Roku Express, if plugged into the highest-numbered (lowest-priority) port, whenever you switch on another device, that device would take priority over the Roku; and, conversely, if you were to plug the Roku into, say, port 2, the switcher would never automatically switch to anything plugged into ports 3 or 4 until you disconnected the Roku.

In my case, I have my OSSC, N64 with UltraHDMI, and Steam Link (soon DCHDMI) plugged into a Vorke HD41Pro, which runs into the Game input on my AVR. The HD41Pro switches based on port priority as I described above, so, with the OSSC fitted to port 4, even if it was constantly outputting a signal, if I were to turn on either of the other devices, they'd take priority over the OSSC. (Correction: It does not switch on port priority, it switches on newest-connected, regardless of port; so, if your OSSC is always on, and you switch to something else, it will switch to that something else.)
Last edited by nmalinoski on Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

nmalinoski wrote:
Jdurg wrote:I have my OSSC in my setup and always leave the power switch "On". The only issue with doing that is the OSSC constantly is outputting a signal and the auto-switches I have see this constant "On" state and will always move over to the OSSC input even when no device is connected.
In my experience, the OSSC only outputs a signal when first powered on--its greyscale test screen. Once it gets sync from an input and then loses that sync, it shuts off its output; so, if you were leaving the OSSC powered on, it should have dropped its output signal entirely when you shut off your SNES for the first time.

Also, a number of automatic AV switchers have numbered ports that correspond to priorities, and, when they get sync from a higher-priority port, that port takes over. For example, an always-on device, like a Roku Express, if plugged into the highest-numbered (lowest-priority) port, whenever you switch on another device, that device would take priority over the Roku; and, conversely, if you were to plug the Roku into, say, port 2, the switcher would never automatically switch to anything plugged into ports 3 or 4 until you disconnected the Roku.

In my case, I have my OSSC, N64 with UltraHDMI, and Steam Link (soon DCHDMI) plugged into a Vorke HD41Pro, which runs into the Game input on my AVR. The HD41Pro switches based on port priority as I described above, so, with the OSSC fitted to port 4, even if it was constantly outputting a signal, if I were to turn on either of the other devices, they'd take priority over the OSSC.
If I have my always-on IN1508 (or RetroTink 2x, or similar) connected to port 4 of my Vorke and turn on a device on port 1, it won't auto switch. I've never had much luck with auto switching, so I just program it into my remote sequence. I guess you've got it working as intended, and I wish I could match that experience!
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ldeveraux wrote:If I have my always-on IN1508 (or RetroTink 2x, or similar) connected to port 4 of my Vorke and turn on a device on port 1, it won't auto switch. I've never had much luck with auto switching, so I just program it into my remote sequence. I guess you've got it working as intended, and I wish I could match that experience!
I have an IN1508 in storage; I can pull it out and test at some point. How are you connecting it to the Vorke? DVI to HDMI cable?

Are you sure automatic switching is enabled on the Vorke? I've managed to accidentally turn it off a couple times when trying to manually switch using the button on the front.
marqs

Post by marqs »

ldeveraux wrote:marqs, what do you mean by hotplugging while the OSSC is powered on? Do you mean switching cables while powered on?
Yes.
ldeveraux wrote:Also, how important is the 1A power? I'm assuming very, but thought I'd ask, as I have an available 0.6A USB.
If you're not using 3x or higher line multiplication factors or HD sources, then that might be sufficient, otherwise you might encounter stability issues.
nmalinoski wrote:In my experience, the OSSC only outputs a signal when first powered on--its greyscale test screen. Once it gets sync from an input and then loses that sync, it shuts off its output; so, if you were leaving the OSSC powered on, it should have dropped its output signal entirely when you shut off your SNES for the first time.
After losing sync, TX is not fully disabled (to minimize startup time) and DDC5V signal is always active when power is on, so depending on how the switch logic works, it might still see OSSC as active source.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

marqs wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:In my experience, the OSSC only outputs a signal when first powered on--its greyscale test screen. Once it gets sync from an input and then loses that sync, it shuts off its output; so, if you were leaving the OSSC powered on, it should have dropped its output signal entirely when you shut off your SNES for the first time.
After losing sync, TX is not fully disabled (to minimize startup time) and DDC5V signal is always active when power is on, so depending on how the switch logic works, it might still see OSSC as active source.
This is good to know; thank you for clarifying. I took my TV displaying "No signal" to mean that the OSSC had shut off its output. I can do one more quick test to determine whether or not the Vorke detects the OSSC as always-on.
marqs

Post by marqs »

The next firmware is getting ready for release, and major part will be scanline related updates and fixes. Not all changes have been comprehensively tested yet, but I uploaded a test version for those who don't want to wait for the official release. The full list of changes is below:

* Fixed profile load not reading data from last mode presets
* Video and audio TX parameters tweaked, YCbCr444 TX mode added
* Enabled 35MHz video LPF for 720p & 1080i in auto mode
* Scanline updates and fixes
** Overlay pattern customization feature
** Fixed non-alternating mode with line4x interlace sources
** Added half-interval option for pre-linedoubled sources
* Sampling phase made mode-specific
* Auto YPbPr CSC option added
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

"Sampling phase made mode-specific"

Woooohooooooo!!!!!!!
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Thomago wrote:"Sampling phase made mode-specific"

Woooohooooooo!!!!!!!
Oh? How does it differ from the sampling phase option that is already available now?
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

Overlay pattern customization feature

is this the overlays used in RetroArch??
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

marqs wrote:The next firmware is getting ready for release, and major part will be scanline related updates and fixes. Not all changes have been comprehensively tested yet, but I uploaded a test version for those who don't want to wait for the official release. The full list of changes is below:

* Fixed profile load not reading data from last mode presets
* Video and audio TX parameters tweaked, YCbCr444 TX mode added
* Enabled 35MHz video LPF for 720p & 1080i in auto mode
* Scanline updates and fixes
** Overlay pattern customization feature
** Fixed non-alternating mode with line4x interlace sources
** Added half-interval option for pre-linedoubled sources
* Sampling phase made mode-specific
* Auto YPbPr CSC option added

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

FANTASTIC ! you're the King marqs.

I've tried only the horizontal+vertical scanlines mode so far, with a megadrive, it looks great in x3 and x5 on my monitor.
@ x5 my monitor's perfect 1:1 1080p compatibility is ideal and I would say mandatory.
@ x3 if I use my monitor's overscan it reveals some of my monitor's imperfect scaling in the background, which is less visible with overscan off, still looking great in both cases.
Had to boost the monitor's brightness significantly of course, and the contrast a bit too (some colors or gamma adjustments might be necessary depending on the display) but that's not a problem. Funnily the monitor's sharpness control turned into a quick brightness booster when I increase it above the neutral setting, which looks good and is very useful.

Only one thing would make that mode even better; separate strenght setting for the vertical lines (dunno if that's technically possible)

As for the custom scanlines mode, well I haven't figured how it works yet. :mrgreen:
(are we supposed to drop a custom made .png file somewhere or something like that?)
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Hmm, powering my OSSC via USB seems to have caused a hum in my speakers. It doesn't matter where I plug the USB, it's pretty annoying. Maybe I'll go back to the standard wall power supply.