Removing the slowdown in Gradius III SNES

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Melt the Guns

Re: Removing the slowdown in Gradius III SNES

Post by Melt the Guns »

I have just purchased a sd2snes for this reason.
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

The stage 3 boss is whack in this hack. Its crossing bouncy X beams are so fast. :shock:
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

For real! This is turning out to be a really nasty game without the slowdown. Those bugs in the bubbles in stage 2 zip around at mach speed.
bcass

Post by bcass »

The game was clearly designed around the slowdown. Of far more interest to me would be a way to fix all the sprite flickering.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Add more VRAM? Pre-RISC console hardware has diddly squat, that's my best guess as to why they have such strict sprite limits. SFC's is 32 max per line, 128 max on screen. Could also be PPU/VDP limitations, I really don't know.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I dunno. This game didn't give me issues until I got to Choking Weed. But it's not really the speed so much as the fact that his FAT ASS head obscures his bullets.
He got me twice, but I eventually got him. The next roadblock for me is Crystal Core. I always get snuck as she closes her arms in to rapid fire. Fast bullets make me tense and fuck up.