Addressing the “J” Question

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!

What do you play?

Only shmups
9%
Mainly shmups and sometimes RPGs + perhaps non-RPGs
24%
Shmups and RPGs roughly equally + perhaps some non-RPGs
3%
Mainly RPGs and occassionally shmups + perhaps non-RPGs
9%
Mainly shmups and sometimes non-RPGs
12%
Shmups and non-RPGs roughly equally
9%
Mainly non-RPGs and occassionally shmups
32%
Not shmups anymore, mainly or only RPGs
No votes
Not shmups anymore, mainly or only non-RPGs
No votes
Not shmups anymore (no games / mix of RPGs + non-RPGs)
3%

Total votes: 34

SynthRicardo
Banned User

Addressing the “J” Question

Post by SynthRicardo »

Reply here with the reason as to why things are this way to you.
When replying, think of the hours spent each week for each genre.
Mischief Maker

Re: Addressing the “J” Question

Post by Mischief Maker »

I find your poll to be baffling, honestly. Are you just trying to find out how many of us play JRPGs?

And what even is an RPG nowadays? Is Dragon's Dogma an RPG? Is Shadow Warrior 2? Hollow Knight? King's Bounty? Ys Origin?
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Is Yakuza an RPG? :lol:

Also is this for a final project or something? I'm kinda confused as well.
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

Mischief Maker wrote:I find your poll to be baffling, honestly. Are you just trying to find out how many of us play JRPGs?
Yes. The question can't be all that baffling if you figured it out on your very first guess. Anyways, Ys and Dragon's Dogmas are definitely RPGs (Albeit ARPGs rather than the traditional turn-based JRPG). I don't know anything about the other games listed.
Steamflogger Boss wrote:Is Yakuza an RPG? :lol:
I tend to think of it as a genuine open world beat-em-up with some skill tree stuff merely tacked on, but opinions vary.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Depending on the day of the week, commitments, general shit to do, and what have you I get anywhere between 4 and 13 hours a week to game.

85% of that (most times of the year) I'm playing a shmup.

14% of that is the RTRKMF's/OutRun genre.
OutRun gets its own genre cause' OutRun.

When I need a break from the above I play "Other". This could be anything not in my usual wheelhouse. Most recently it was Wasteland 2, and the next time I see something similar to that would be this Winter when Wasteland 3 comes out.

I (and a lot of us here) tend to gravitate towards games that can be completed in under an hour even though I may play said game for over 100 hours. I'm not opposed to investing that time into a non action game (see Wasteland 2), but the game has to really grab me for that to happen.
My lord, I have come for you.
FabulousVioletGuy

Post by FabulousVioletGuy »

Last *RPG I played through was Shadow Tower Abyss in April, replaying it to fill out its bestiary and to see if there were any secret areas I might have missed. I don't play them very often and prefer the purely dungeon-crawling ones with real-time combat and a minimalist story. I've been meaning to try out the Ultima Underworlds since I enjoyed System Shock and Deus Ex quite a bit. I can't get into the Dragon Quest derivatives anymore- those are pretty shit. Anywho, my top 3 genres would be platformers, shooters, and either puzzle or fighting.
SynthRicardo
Banned User

Post by SynthRicardo »

I didn't have much time when making this thread so I couldn't explain the following:
Consider that I couldn't fit all possibilities with 10 options, so just choose what's closest to you. You can explain in the reply after all.
In terms of my motivation to do this, I simply want to confirm a trend within the community I've noticed.
The term RPG here contains everything under that umbrella, including hybrid genres like Action RPGs. If you feel that some genre that you play is a type of RPG, even if maybe it's not universally considered that, that counts too. And viceversa. We're not here to argue that, it's more subjective polling.
Steamflogger Boss

I'll just post out my trends lately then, more on point than the poll vote. I've been playing a ton of From games lately. Kuon, AC2, Eternal Ring, just about every Soulsborne game there is. Aside from that I played VC4, Uncharted 4, Ys VIII (UGHHHHH) and Yakuza (Fist of the North Star skinned too) games somewhat recently. I don't play shmups too often these days though I did just play a bunch of Gradius IV recently and I've got Shikigami 3 in the mail that I'm looking forward too. So uh, mostly games with RPG elements I think.
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Ys VIII (UGHHHHH)
Haha, I take it you don't like it? Ys is one of the few RPG series I enjoy, but I played haven't more than maybe 5 minutes of 8 despite owning it for god knows how long now.
Steamflogger Boss

DietSoap wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:Ys VIII (UGHHHHH)
Haha, I take it you don't like it? Ys is one of the few RPG series I enjoy, but I played haven't more than maybe 5 minutes of 8 despite owning it for god knows how long now.
Yeah flash guard makes the game boring. I could have not used it but then I'd be playing the game wrong. Enjoyed all the others in my post. I like the Ys series, as a whole, but I imagine I'm not going to like IX either and I might just skip it.

Also forgot to mention Tales of the Abyss and Vagrant Story.
kitten

Post by kitten »

the division here between "shmup" and "rpg" like they're the only two things on the forum (with a nod to "non-RPG," whatever that is) is a really bizarre and arbitrary dichotomy. what about other genres? what about people who mix it up week-to-week, month-by-month, or even year-to-year? what the hell do you mean by "rpg," anyway?

i've been doing very little play other than magic the gathering the last several months, but when i'm posting more often, i'm generally playing a blend of action titles and tend to not significantly differentiate the kind of joy i get from something like contra, something like streets of rage, and something like r-type. they all kind of fit into the same kind of "classic action" pit and i don't often choose so much by genre as i do whether i want a more dedicated session or a one-off fun little play of something easier. it's rare i go back to a jrpg but i've had a very good time with a few and used to play a lot more when i was younger.

when i play modern stuff, i feel even if what i'm playing is purportedly action, it's more focused on its metagaming/numbers/progression (rogue-lites, metroidvanias, open worlds, etc.) than anything and more akin to what i'd mentally classify as "rpg." i think getting burned out so hard on that stuff is why i've been a bit disconnected from video gaming altogether, lately.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
Steamflogger Boss

Are you playing on Arena, kitten? I love Arena.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Been playing Dragon Warrior and Phantasy Star II in the past weeks, so definitely some good ol' JRPG-ing there. But I mix it up with action games.

I'd say my playtime is 50% oldschool JRPG, and 50% oldschool action games (platformers, heavy-action sidescrollers, beat 'em ups, mainly. sometime includes survival horror.)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
kitten

Post by kitten »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Are you playing on Arena, kitten? I love Arena.
i tried a single draft, got into my first game and clicked something on accident and gave the game away because of it, closed the application in frustration, and then never opened it again. i'd call it a comical overreaction, but i was anxious about giving it a shot, in the first place. i prefer paper magic because it's a lot more engaging for me to be playing with another person i can actually interact with, and i really like the whole physicality of playing at the table. arena also seems to really gamify everything, and i don't want to reduce mtg to something i start completely min/maxing and lose my mind over. commander is also my favorite format, which is unsupported, and i balk at the sheer nightmare it would be to start managing a second collection, even digitally.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

The "J" question. That sounds ominous. Oh wait, it's just a poll about games. Maybe the "J" stands for Java? I would never play a game written in Java. Or Javascript for that matter. What's that you say? JRPG? Oh! I get it now. Yes, I do spend a large portion of my gaming time on JRPGs. Now that I am old and cranky, I like this kind of game where I can set down the control pad at any time to go holler at kids who may be on my lawn. I guess a JRPG is basically an SRPG (battle system) and a Visual Novel (narrative) rolled into one (with an additional element of exploration or running back and forth). Those genres are also good for low-attention time wasting. But in the end, whatever I get these days is mostly determined by what's on sale at GOG. I don't see many shmups on GOG and the ones I do see don't look like my kind of shmup.
SynthRicardo
Banned User

Post by SynthRicardo »

kitten, I'm not unaware of other genres nor oversimplifying things, this poll simply focuses on shmups and RPGs to see if there's a correlation. Also, read my previous post, if you think you play RPGs, vote accordingly, same if you don't. It's more of a personal poll.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

I play pretty much everything, except for soccer games (never had fun with them) and FPS (enjoyed them a lot but these days I get motion sickness when I play).

And honestly I see zero correlation between RPGs and shmups.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Steamflogger Boss

kitten wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:Are you playing on Arena, kitten? I love Arena.
i tried a single draft, got into my first game and clicked something on accident and gave the game away because of it, closed the application in frustration, and then never opened it again. i'd call it a comical overreaction, but i was anxious about giving it a shot, in the first place. i prefer paper magic because it's a lot more engaging for me to be playing with another person i can actually interact with, and i really like the whole physicality of playing at the table. arena also seems to really gamify everything, and i don't want to reduce mtg to something i start completely min/maxing and lose my mind over. commander is also my favorite format, which is unsupported, and i balk at the sheer nightmare it would be to start managing a second collection, even digitally.
Drafting is pretty bad on Arena, tbh. You draft against bots which is good in theory but the bots are bad and do ridiculous passes that would never happen with 8 actual people.

I can understand where you are coming from on it. I love playing Magic with friends. Used to enjoy going to FNM but the game stores I liked shut down. There is a big one in a closer city but I had a rancid experience the last time I went with cheating as well as super salty/rude opponents. Definitely not driving 20 miles for that experience again.

Commander is the only format I still play physically. <3
SynthRicardo
Banned User

Post by SynthRicardo »

Interesting results so far, since half report only playing shmups sparingly compared to other games. Question to those who voted for Mainly non-RPGs and occassionally shmups, since that is the most common vote by a mile so far: what is it exactly that you play? How come you don't play shmups as much relative to these other games?

To show that I have nothing to hide: if I voted, my option would be Mainly shmups and sometimes non-RPGs. I play shmups 90-95% of my gaming time, which is roughly 1-2 hours a day. The rest is spent with games of other arcade genres typically.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

i love jrpgs and finanl fantasy and im the person in your avatar op.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I play mainly shmups right now, though almost for the entirety of 2018 I played immersive sims, which are better than 90% of shmups TBH.* Play Thief 1, you'll understand. In fact, I bet you if I boot up Deus Ex right now I might not play shmups again until July. MenuPGs I don't usually play.

*actual percentage may vary
mycophobia wrote:im the person in your avatar op.
thjis too
CyberAngel

Post by CyberAngel »

I play old-school FPS games more than shmups nowadays. Some of them can get pretty bullet-hell-like so there's a surprising overlap of skills needed. As for shmups themselves, I find it more fun to play regularly but in short bursts - about a run a day on average.

I do play some RPGs on occasion, but all of them are pretty action-ey, and when I do I usually play them exclusively for a couple of days to take a rest from the usual games. Also, none of them are from Japan.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Gacha games only

also JFPS Expert, by Nichibutsu
system11

Post by system11 »

So what was the "J" question?
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org