What version or fork of MAME are you using?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
wasilewski

What version or fork of MAME are you using?

Post by wasilewski »

Curious to know what MAME you're all using.
mycophobia

Re: What version or fork of MAME are you using?

Post by mycophobia »

regular ass mame. 0.195 I think, whatever comes packaged with Ubuntu
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I use the last version of MAMEplus. I need some more free time to figure out GroovyMame and the latest mame (209?)*, but for some reason they're not recognizing my rom directories... either that or I need to finally enter the 'dome' and redownload 10s of GBs of roms. :|

*until I get those roms working and Shephardus' autofire/custom button hack tested, the latest mame is basically worthless. I, uh, am glad it can emulate refrigerator calculators or Tiger Electronics or whatever, but its accessibility towards users who play and enjoy games has... been called into question. I remember when I got a ver. of mame working (maybe 197, or 204), and after a few plays immediately switched back to MAMEplus, thinking to myself "well, this version sucks."
wasilewski

Post by wasilewski »

EmperorIng wrote:I use the last version of MAMEplus. I need some more free time to figure out GroovyMame and the latest mame (209?)*, but for some reason they're not recognizing my rom directories... either that or I need to finally enter the 'dome' and redownload 10s of GBs of roms. :|

*until I get those roms working and Shephardus' autofire/custom button hack tested, the latest mame is basically worthless. I, uh, am glad it can emulate refrigerator calculators or Tiger Electronics or whatever, but its accessibility towards users who play and enjoy games has... been called into question. I remember when I got a ver. of mame working (maybe 197, or 204), and after a few plays immediately switched back to MAMEplus, thinking to myself "well, this version sucks."
It was the mention of autofire in another thread that made me create this thread. It's a little annoying having to turn on autofire in MAME for every game so I thought I would see what everyone else was using to see if there is a better solution that I can try out.

Would you recommend MAMEplus over GroovyMame? I use Windows 10.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

At this -current- moment yes because I haven't been able to get groovymame fully working like I want it. Still working on that. MAMEplus is still pretty compatible with a large list of shmups, except (as far as I know) the last few Cave games released in arcades (and I might be wrong about that, excepting SDOJ). I use Windows 10 as well and do not have any issues running MAMEplus. Autofire stays on in the game you set it on, though you will need to enable it on a game-by-game basis as far as I know.

On the plus side, MAMEplus will remember and keep your custom button/auto settings which makes it very convenient.
wasilewski

Post by wasilewski »

EmperorIng wrote:At this -current- moment yes because I haven't been able to get groovymame fully working like I want it. Still working on that. MAMEplus is still pretty compatible with a large list of shmups, except (as far as I know) the last few Cave games released in arcades (and I might be wrong about that, excepting SDOJ). I use Windows 10 as well and do not have any issues running MAMEplus. Autofire stays on in the game you set it on, though you will need to enable it on a game-by-game basis as far as I know.

On the plus side, MAMEplus will remember and keep your custom button/auto settings which makes it very convenient.
Sounds good, I will go with MAMEplus I think. If I need to play any other Cave games I can just go back to regular MAME.

Still, I'm interested to hear what others are using for the sake of discussion.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

ShmupMAME for games that run fine on it and have improved/reduced input lag, AutoMAME (MAME + the autofire/custom button functionality from MAMEPlus) for everything else.
wasilewski

Post by wasilewski »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:ShmupMAME for games that run fine on it and have improved/reduced input lag, AutoMAME (MAME + the autofire/custom button functionality from MAMEPlus) for everything else.
Cheers!

I could also just drop the .diff file in my normal MAME folder, right?

I'm not sure how to configure it...
KAI

Post by KAI »

Just updated to groovymame 0.209 using the MAME+ portable GUI. love this shit.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Boring old vanilla MAME 0.207 here. Before that I stuck with 0.185 for a while.

I intend to try Groovy when I have a valid reason to switch to something other than integrated graphics.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

ARCADE. Suits my needs fine.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

The last version of MAME Plus!, based on MAME v0.168. I should be using ShmupMAME, but oh well.

I keep the latest version of MAME around when I think to grab it, but to be honest I don't know why I even bother.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

KAI wrote:Just updated to groovymame 0.209 using the MAME+ portable GUI. love this shit.
This one?

https://*************.net/downloads/file/1221-m-gui

Is it really MAME version-agnostic? Seems its last version is from 3 years ago.
Last edited by Bassa-Bassa on Wed May 08, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KAI

Post by KAI »

It is, I'm even using an older version of that pGUI and works perfectly with the lastest mame builds (and old ones like blackoak's build, which i use frecuently cause some old drivers are better for 3d games).

btw, beware of sharing fishy links on the farm.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

I edited my post in case, thanks. Speaking of fishiness, I've read it's chinese and designed to fix your romsets, have you checked if it messes with the registry or tries to connect to the internet?
KAI

Post by KAI »

Not sure about that 1.8.2 version, but the one i'm using (1.5.0) it's just a simple frontend without any kind of features aside from that, and never tried to do anything funny on my pc, i can guarantee you that.
MathU

Post by MathU »

I used to use MAMEUI on Windows but eventually the UI jumped off the rails and that was somewhere around when I finally switched to GNU/Linux full time. Now that I've settled in to regular terminal usage I've finally become comfortable just with vanilla MAME. When I want to play a game seriously (i.e., input recording), I skip the interface entirely and just run directly from a set of commands. For a time I was keeping my version usage linked to MAMEHub for input replay compatibility (still on v0.160), but I haven't used MAMEHub in a while and now I've just gotten lazy.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

GroovyMAME of course.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

wasilewski wrote:
BareKnuckleRoo wrote:ShmupMAME for games that run fine on it and have improved/reduced input lag, AutoMAME (MAME + the autofire/custom button functionality from MAMEPlus) for everything else.
Cheers!

I could also just drop the .diff file in my normal MAME folder, right?

I'm not sure how to configure it...
If you're on Windows just replace your MAME exe with the one in the download. The .diff file is if you want to compile from source (check out the source from GitHub, run "git apply <path to diff file>" to patch the source, follow instructions to build.

Naturally, that's the build I use. I keep .bat files for games I commonly play so I can double-click on those and directly start the game while recording an input file.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Xyga wrote:GroovyMAME of course.
Has autofire been added to one of the latest versions? If not, is there a way of doing something like doing what AutoMAME does and adding it in?
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Xyga wrote:GroovyMAME of course.
Has autofire been added to one of the latest versions? If not, is there a way of doing something like doing what AutoMAME does and adding it in?
Nope, lately saving osd sliders was added, including those only available when 'cheat' is on, but mame's current AF isn't part of sliders anyway.
Calamity was aware of expectations for superior AF support but at the time there was only the imperfect patch to work with, and I think he didn't have more clues than we do, so I guess we'd need to revive the topic with him and bring whatever info and assistance we can (not sure he knows about AutoMAME btw)

Or we wait for that hypothetical LUA plugin that might never happen because nobody interested knows enough to make it (or not enough for the full thing with a dedicated osd as Shepardus once noted is a bigger deal)
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

^a little problematic xyga, please edit your post to be a little less alt-right
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Lolwut ? did I accidentally write 'autofürher' ? :(
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

KAI wrote:Not sure about that 1.8.2 version, but the one i'm using (1.5.0) it's just a simple frontend without any kind of features aside from that, and never tried to do anything funny on my pc, i can guarantee you that.
Bumping this now I finally tried M+GUI portable to say I'm really liking how faithful to the classic MAMEP it is and that it indeed seems to be light and portable. The only thing I'm worried about is about mame.ini. Seems the .exe has to be in the same directory that your mame.ini is (either, it will create it), but how can you make sure your mame.ini, romname.ini or drivername.ini won't ever be overwritten by the GUI whenever you happen to open the config. options?

Also, how did you manage to change the font color?

Thanks!
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

The only bad thing of MAME+ GUI though is that it doesn't support software_list? You can launch a "console" of course and "mount" it with a game but it won't acknowledge the software_list subsystem nor give you the option to pick console/computer games directly from the GUI list itself?

I'm asking in case I'm missing something, because the original? MAME+ GUI did support MESS and its software_list system(?):

https://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads ... mber=47934

Does anyone have some experience with MAMEUI or IV/Play's latest versions in this regard?

http://mameui.info/
Snake

Post by Snake »

I'm using the vanilla MAME 0.212 straight from the mamedev site, and I've been playing around with the later IGS beat-em-ups (KoV3, Oriental Legend 2). Does anybody know about a program to mimic the card readers? Or is there already a feature in base MAME I'm missing? A couple of features are limited to people using the cards.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Figured I'd post my question here as opposed to making yet another Mame thread. So I've been thinking its about time I found a nice way to enjoy some more obscure titles like Dogyuun, Progear, Dangun Feveron etc. Titles that I can't easily get a hold off in my territory and ones that have had no home console conversions and remain Arcade only to this day (except USA/Japan regions like Dangun Feveron for PS4/XOne for eg.). I was looking at that King of Air multi JAMMA PCB but it seems a lot of hassle and the screen filtering/lag/sound issues are putting me off it, also it will be pricey since I don't have any gear for playing arcade hardware currently ( Supergun for eg. ). Can someone point me to a easy to an guide for getting started with whatever the best version of Mame for shmups is? I like the UI of RetroArch but i'm not sure if the Mame versions it supports are decent enough for more performance heavy titles like say Akai Katana? Everytime I start to research this I get lost in all the different Mame versions and types... There must be some simplified guide to get a basic configuration working on an LCD screen with stable emulation? Not looking for the most perfect experience yet, just a push in the right direction and will figure out things later on my own. Will be extremely grateful if someone has any resources on this that are noob friendly :oops:
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

The vast majority of the old forks are outdated, misguided, and unnecessary. I think the latest release of GroovyMAME would suit your use case nicely.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=64669 (This mentions the haynor666 build, but really, stock Groovy is okay)

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... msg1659367
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Thanks so much WelshMegalodon! I had never considered GroovyMame since I thought its aimed at CRT use mainly. Will give this a go at the weekend :mrgreen:
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Groovy mame is the best mame for both CRT monitors and flat screen users.

The version of mame should be chosen based on which rom set you have access to. The site I use has 198 roms so mame 198 is best for me. If you use the wrong mame for the rom set, half the games won't work. Very frustrating.

It's as simple as that.