Movies you've just watched

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
soprano1

Re: Movies you've just watched

Post by soprano1 »

Brighton Rock (1948)
A UK noir with Richard Attenborough, who plays the young, but merciless, Pinkie. Surprised at some of the violent (for 1948) scenes. Great movie.

Alice in Wonderland (1951)
Trippy movie with the amazing Disney animation work from those years.

The Big Heat (1953)
Wow boy, most intense noir I ever saw. That coffee throwing scene must have been fucking hardcore for 1953. Glenn Ford was badass as hell, Lee Marvin too. I believe this was his big break, together with The Wild One?

Chinatown (1974)
Hard-boiled detective noir story with Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunaway. Besides being in colour, and the use of profanity and on-screen violence, it looks just like something out of the 1940's. The story is pretty great too, right at the top with other noir movies.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Ixmucane2

Post by Ixmucane2 »

Avengers: Endgame

Plot: the Avengers heroically solve the Thanos situation, including de-exterminating his victims.
Spoiler avoidance imposes some discretion about how they do it (it's an irritatingly cheesy approach) but some observations are possible:
  • Unsurprisingly, Dr. Strange's plan proves much more solid than Ant-Man's plan, which is itself so far ahead of the opposition, despite mistakes and complication, that it isn't even fun.
  • Many characters are redundant, and reduced to comic relief with significant indignity (Thor and Bruce Banner most intentionally, but Captain America has the silliest scene).
  • Other redundant characters are just away or not even mentioned.
  • There are some peculiar motifs, like Thanos sitting and waiting for his will to be done, Captain Marvel flying through solid objects just because she can, and Tony Stark playing with his "heart".
  • On the positive side, heroic deaths are adequately heroic, even though better planning (see above) could have clearly prevented them.
  • Some interesting and original moments, for example placing a significant plot twist right at the beginning.
  • The art of the post-credits scene almost reaches perfection.
Unremarkable music, excellent special effects (particularly the clarity of design of complex battle scenes) and mostly good acting.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Hot Shots! Part Deux: ***

More slapstick parody from the 90s, this one going mostly after films like the Rambo movies. As with most of these, you either think it's really funny or you think it's really stupid. I actually liked it better than the first Hot Shots movie (which I consider to be a fairly weak one in the genre) but there's an awful lot of dated references there (I'm guessing Saddam Hussein jokes are pretty well past their sell by date, right?)
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

The Blues Brothers (1980)
1980 was an incredible year for comedies, and this one was incredible for sure. John Belushi and Dan Akroid were just incredible, and the cameos were so fun and amazing to see. I might become one of my favourites along with Caddyshack.
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

Ixmucane2 wrote:Avengers: Endgame

[*]The art of the post-credits scene almost reaches perfection.[/list]
Spoiler
What exactly do you mean? There was nothing after the credits except the Marvel logo and in the background a clinking sound, like somebody hitting an anvil with a hammer... I'm not a huge superhero nerd, so something apparently went over my head here...
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (1978)
Caught this on cable, with the original audio. Some very awesome display of Kung Fu here, story was decent enough.

The Killer (1989)
Action packed Hong Kong thriller by John Woo. Much more enjoyable than Hard Boiled, for me (except the hospital's maternity ward scene, nothing tops that).
Ixmucane2

Post by Ixmucane2 »

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:

[*]The art of the post-credits scene almost reaches perfection.[/list]
What exactly do you mean?
Spoiler
There was nothing after the credits except the Marvel logo and in the background a clinking sound, like somebody hitting an anvil with a hammer... I'm not a huge superhero nerd, so something apparently went over my head here...
I simply mean that setting up this final joke you have seen required a long time and a lot of conditioning. A more important metaplot than many character stories.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Avengers: End Game, 5/5

Beautifully composed shots, great job by the cast and crew. Plays on your emotions quite a bit, and has some very funny bits too. If you like the rest, you will like this too.

Hail Hydra
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I just saw Avengers: Endgame. Oh my God, it is by far the most awesome, most epic superhero movie I have ever seen. It's also the first movie to actually make me cry. I won't spoil it for you.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I saw it too with friends. My take: big fucking mess
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

I'm just looking forward to Guardians of the Galaxy 3 with goofy Thor and James Gunn back in the directing chair. Fuck you, Mike Cernovich!
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:
Spoiler
What exactly do you mean? There was nothing after the credits except the Marvel logo and in the background a clinking sound, like somebody hitting an anvil with a hammer... I'm not a huge superhero nerd, so something apparently went over my head here...
Spoiler
It's been confirmed to be the sound of Tony forging his first suit in the original Iron Man. Whether or not it actually suggests anything I don't know.
I don't think it was possible for this movie to live up to expectations, but it was a fun watch either way.
Spoiler
Who else felt sorry for Thanos when he was killed at the beginning? Even if only for a brief second? It was clear that he no longer had the slightest trace of malice left in him.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Flight of the Navigator: ***

I recall seeing this movie a number of times as a kid, but I'm pretty sure it's been over 25 years since I last saw it. A semi-obscure Disney movie from the mid Eighties about a 12-year-old kid named David who suddenly jumps forward eight years in time, and later encounters an alien ship named Max (voiced by Paul Reubens under the pseudonym Paul Mall, but it becomes obvious pretty quickly that Max is basically Pee-Wee Herman as a spaceship) who was responsible for his time jump. Has some surprisingly good (by 1986 standards) special effects and some nice but brief practical effects work in it, but falls too quickly into the E.T. trope where NASA scientists immediately try to turn David into a human guinea pig for the rest of his life, and takes nearly half the movie's short runtime (89 minutes) for David to find Max and get to the good parts. Overall it still holds up, but feels a bit like they were trying too hard to be the next E.T., and it ultimately leaves the impression that they could have done more with this than they did.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
z0mbie90

Post by z0mbie90 »

Just WHY? :shock:
Mero

Post by Mero »

z0mbie90 wrote:Just WHY? :shock:
I knew what that was going to be without clicking the link, so bad it's unreal.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

z0mbie90 wrote:Just WHY? :shock:
Okay, it's time to end capitalism. By bloody means if necessary.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

I'm surprised they didn't make a Sonic movie back in 1995 or something. Jim Carrey is too thin to be Robotnik/Eggman, honestly. I'm not even commenting Sonic's nightmare inducing design.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

EmperorIng wrote:I saw it too with friends. My take: big fucking mess

Yep.

They should have done much better in pretty much every aspect from story to pacing and acting. Way too predictable in terms of events and way too forced in terms of "drama". Yeah, the effects were cool, but it's not enough and it never will be. Still watchable and entertaining but overall a letdown.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

soprano1 wrote:Brighton Rock (1948)
A UK noir with Richard Attenborough, who plays the young, but merciless, Pinkie. Surprised at some of the violent (for 1948) scenes. Great movie.

Alice in Wonderland (1951)
Trippy movie with the amazing Disney animation work from those years.

The Big Heat (1953)
Wow boy, most intense noir I ever saw. That coffee throwing scene must have been fucking hardcore for 1953. Glenn Ford was badass as hell, Lee Marvin too. I believe this was his big break, together with The Wild One?

Chinatown (1974)
Hard-boiled detective noir story with Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunaway. Besides being in colour, and the use of profanity and on-screen violence, it looks just like something out of the 1940's. The story is pretty great too, right at the top with other noir movies.
chinatown is p great. i think the main difference is the level to which the people involved are fucked-up is raised way higher.
Spoiler
it's basically about a guy raping his daughter and then raping his grand-daughter/also daughter after his daughter/her mother is killed. ugh in so many ways
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Plot: the Avengers heroically solve the Thanos situation, including de-exterminating his victims.
Spoiler avoidance imposes some discretion about how they do it (it's an irritatingly cheesy approach) but some observations are possible:
  • Unsurprisingly, Dr. Strange's plan proves much more solid than Ant-Man's plan, which is itself so far ahead of the opposition, despite mistakes and complication, that it isn't even fun.
  • Many characters are redundant, and reduced to comic relief with significant indignity (Thor and Bruce Banner most intentionally, but Captain America has the silliest scene).
  • Other redundant characters are just away or not even mentioned.
  • There are some peculiar motifs, like Thanos sitting and waiting for his will to be done, Captain Marvel flying through solid objects just because she can, and Tony Stark playing with his "heart".
  • On the positive side, heroic deaths are adequately heroic, even though better planning (see above) could have clearly prevented them.
  • Some interesting and original moments, for example placing a significant plot twist right at the beginning.
  • The art of the post-credits scene almost reaches perfection.
Unremarkable music, excellent special effects (particularly the clarity of design of complex battle scenes) and mostly good acting.
i didn't love this movie. it felt very much the end of another, much longer movie and not much like it's own movie. even still, it wasn't the best ending to that other movie that it is a part of. there were some good moments, but it was kinda slow and somewhat disappointing.
Spoiler
also, how can that guy become captain america (i think falcon, right?) if he doesn't get the super soldier syrum?
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

deadpool 2:

saw on the plane on a trip home. actually really enjoyed it! i am not a huge deadpool fan and found the first movie to be kinda annoying, but i had fun with this one, and i liked cable's character and lead-up to x-force.
one thing i will say is that it's still hard for me to get used to deadpool talking. i grew up reading the x-force stuff and all that, and deadpool being mute was essential to his character. i guess it doesn't make for an entertaining film to have a mute character tho.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Sanic
They said they're going to "fix" the manhog, but I uh....

... uh...... don't believe them.

If the entirety of the trailer is completely fake and there's secretly an actually passable movie that they've made, that would blow the internet's mind.

I just don't think the suits could possibly be this Wily and cunning.

This and Detective Pikachu couldn't be more black and white. Never have I seen a trailer so void of content.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Endgame.... it was okay but ultimately left the theater underwhelmed.

3/5
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

soprano1 wrote:I'm surprised they didn't make a Sonic movie back in 1995 or something.
The Sonic OVA exists (1996), and I'd recommend that instead.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

EmperorIng wrote:
soprano1 wrote:I'm surprised they didn't make a Sonic movie back in 1995 or something.
The Sonic OVA exists (1996), and I'd recommend that instead.
I saw that one, it was nice. But in my previous post I meant a live action movie. :wink:
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Technically this is a 90's movie. Didn't you hear the Gangsta's Paradise?
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

BryanM wrote:Technically this is a 90's movie. Didn't you hear the Gangsta's Paradise?
Of all the 90's songs they could pick for a Sonic movie... :roll:

A Better Tomorrow (1986)
Hong Kong gangster movie by John Woo. Doesn't have the amazing shooting battles from The Killer and Hard Boiled, but the story and characters hold it pretty well.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Just watched Pokemon Detective Pikachu!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I watched Princess Bride again. Good stuff. All star cast too. Inconceivable!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Kinjite: Forbidden Subjects with Charles Bronson. It is a movie that begins and ends in sodomy.

hoo boy. My friends and I flipped a coin between this and Charles Bronson in Murphy's Law (Murphy's Law: Don't Fuck with John Murphy!)
I remember drauch writing that Death Wish 2 is the grimiest movie ever. Well I think Kinjite might beat out Death Wish 2's gratuitous rape and gutter world aesthetic.

This movie is slimy, but in a sleazy way that only Cannon Films could bring to life. Everything about it, from the child trafficking, to the rapists, to the Japanese train gropings (just like my Japanese animes!), to the weird anti-Japanese rants Bronson delivers is so calculated and manipulated to singular affect. This shit show gives you both yucks and yuuucks. The Japanese family whose daughter is kidnapped is so laughably cut out of the movie that it makes me wonder if there was footage lost, or they just did not want to be a part of this dumpster anymore.

Maybe I should have watched Murphy's Law!