gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mj23kb08

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by mj23kb08 »

superg wrote:
mj23kb08 wrote:
superg wrote:gcompsw update: I got all the manufacturer quotes and I'm ready for the gcompsw pre orders. I will calculate the final price tonight and update gretrostuff page accordingly. The ETA is two months, I don't foresee development delays as the product is finished. This Saturday around 9am EST it should be available to pre order.
gscartsw update: PCB manufacturing is finished, everything is according to the schedule for delivery in May.
How long will preorders for this first batch of the gcompsw be open? I've been waiting for this for months, and I'd love to get in on the first batch shipment, but I'm much lower in funds than I expected to be, so it might be around a month before I can comfortably afford it.
I plan to keep it open but I'm currently working with StoneAgeGamer on the distribution so it will remain open until I hand everything to them. The first gcompsw batch will be ordered 2-3 weeks after I open the pre orders.
So while preorders will stay open for a while in general for multiple batches, the cutoff for receiving the first batch will be 2-3 weeks after tomorrow?
superg

Post by superg »

rigisme wrote: So the upcoming preorder would be with or without SAG involved?
Not yet, we are working on it, will be available to preorder from gretrostuff.com.
rigisme wrote:Just curious if there'd be design changes (different enclosure?) when they get stuff handed to them.
For now most likely it's going to be the same plexi enclosure, later that may change.
superg

Post by superg »

gcompsw pre orders are open.
Renmauzo

Post by Renmauzo »

gcompsw order in. Thanks superg!
minorOffense

Post by minorOffense »

superg wrote:gcompsw pre orders are open.
Aaaaannd ordered!
AceFan84

Post by AceFan84 »

Ordered one, can't wait to get it!!!
Lux

Post by Lux »

Order placed !
dseleski

Post by dseleski »

Re: gcompsw
Would csync or luma sync be able to pass through on the composite line? We were thinking of a use case like: mixture of component and RGB through the gcomp to PVMs that accept both. It would an easy way to send either to a PVM without moving hookups.
superg

Post by superg »

dseleski wrote:Re: gcompsw
Would csync or luma sync be able to pass through on the composite line? We were thinking of a use case like: mixture of component and RGB through the gcomp to PVMs that accept both. It would an easy way to send either to a PVM without moving hookups.
For sure, any sync either through Y or through composite RCA connector.
dseleski

Post by dseleski »

superg wrote:
For sure, any sync either through Y or through composite RCA connector.
Cool, we'll have to work on a 5x/6x RCA cable builder sometime soon then
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

I think the only problem would be that you would still need to manually switch between YCC & RGB on the PVM. It's for this reason that I'm running my setup like this:
gcompsw > Beharbros Garo (YCC to RGB) > Extron RGB 192v (for SERR correction) > gscartsw > gscartsw > BVM
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

the Goat wrote:
Right, The Extron Crosspoint might be doing some secret magic on the signal. I do not have the correct cable to connect the gscartsw directly to the Extron Rxi. Otherwise I would do that experiment.

Just following up to report that another Extron switch (VGA-type, one the Ars series) also appears to have solved compatibility with the Rxi.

Putting this Extron SW in between also solved the other two issues I was having: no more wavy interference noise in the picture (this must have been due to crosstalk when chained to the non-gscart switch), and the Saturn boot sound no longer cuts off after a second (which happened even with the gscart connected directly to the monitor).

What I can't confirm is whether a sync stripper is needed on the SCART-to-VGA cable. What's clear to me now is that the gscart's sync regeneration is not sync stripping.

Either way, it would appear that there is something non-standard in the gscartsw's RGBS output, at least relative to the industry standard expected by some Extron equipment. But the good news is that perhaps any type of Extron switch is more tolerant of the gscart's output while being able to convert it to something that less tolerant gear can handle. There's a lot of small and cheap Extron switches that can be used just for this purpose (some are even automatic like the gscart). I'm also guessing that the older gscartsw's VGA/RGBHV output wouldn't have these issues.

edit: I got some useful info from superg and I should clarify that these issues should not be attributed to the gscart. The Rxi incompatibility is most likely because it expects TTL sync, which the SCART standard does not support, so the gscart does no wrong by not outputting TTL, even if other devices do. The Saturn boot sound cutoff is probably due to something weird about this particular Saturn model revision, though it is the case that I did not experience this before with other devices.
Last edited by fernan1234 on Wed May 01, 2019 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
scampy_joe

Post by scampy_joe »

Dekkia wrote:I got an update to my post from a while ago:

They declined the import.

I got a letter which basically states that the gscartsw* isn't comform (I don't know to what, they didn't tell me) an that it is because of that illegal to import.
They gave me 3 options:
- Letting them send it back to superg
- Letting them destroy it
- appealing to the taking back of the import (in german: Einspruch gegen die Rücknahme der Annahme der Zollanmeldung)

I of course sent them an appeal. I don't believe I'll get my gscartsw* but I didn't want to give up that easy. I also wanted to send a Fax (I never did that before, lol)

If anybody speaks german and wants to take a look at it, here you go: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
I of course blanked out some details.

Out of couriosity: Since I'm probably on a watchlist now, is there anybody in the EU who wants to help me out? You'll import it for me and then send it to me inside the EU. I'll of course pay for everything :P

* They're calling it a "Multi-Connectorplate for Scart-Plugs with Power Supply" ("Mehrfach-Anschlussplatte für Scartstecker mit Netzteil")
I have the same problem. Germany too. They opened the package and took photos. Send the photos to the government presidium (Regierungspräsidium). Because of product safety. I will be informed.
rigisme

Post by rigisme »

superg wrote:
rigisme wrote: So the upcoming preorder would be with or without SAG involved?
Not yet, we are working on it, will be available to preorder from gretrostuff.com.
rigisme wrote:Just curious if there'd be design changes (different enclosure?) when they get stuff handed to them.
For now most likely it's going to be the same plexi enclosure, later that may change.
Thanks for the info. I put an order in the other day.
Maybe I'll double dip in the future if you guys come up with the metal enclosure option.
LapinBeau

Post by LapinBeau »

Hi, I've known about your products for a while now, but never ordered because there was really no shortage of 4:1 switch boxes in North America. But now that you've made an 8:2 one with built-in amplification, I am almost entirely convinced to preorder! I just have one question though.

On the gcompsw, I notice that there are two rows of 4 inputs, with one output under each.

Does each output only use the signal from four of the inputs? Or is each output capable of using all eight input signals?

Basically, would I be able to connect all 8 consoles to my single CRT TV and sound system through one output, without having to use a bunch of splitter cables?
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

LapinBeau wrote:Hi, I've known about your products for a while now, but never ordered because there was really no shortage of 4:1 switch boxes in North America. But now that you've made an 8:2 one with built-in amplification, I am almost entirely convinced to preorder! I just have one question though.

On the gcompsw, I notice that there are two rows of 4 inputs, with one output under each.

Does each output only use the signal from four of the inputs? Or is each output capable of using all eight input signals?

Basically, would I be able to connect all 8 consoles to my single CRT TV and sound system through one output, without having to use a bunch of splitter cables?
Yes, consider it a 8x1 switch with an extra output. So all 8 inputs would go through both outputs.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

ldeveraux wrote:
LapinBeau wrote:Hi, I've known about your products for a while now, but never ordered because there was really no shortage of 4:1 switch boxes in North America. But now that you've made an 8:2 one with built-in amplification, I am almost entirely convinced to preorder! I just have one question though.

Yes, consider it a 8x1 switch with an extra output. So all 8 inputs would go through both outputs.
Both outputs are always connected to the single active input.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
superg

Post by superg »

I've just had a paypal case opened on late gscartsw pre order. I had no communication with the person, and I was never contacted about this order. The case is empty and it was actually filled on paypal through the financial institution.
Creating a paypal case when the pre order went through and I've already spend the funds towards manufacturing the unit results in immediate refund using my own funds and permanent blacklisting.
I believe the pre order terms are pretty clear on gretrostuff.com and I ask everybody to read everything before placing the order.
DiegoPonga

Post by DiegoPonga »

Hi, superg,

I am very interested in this. May I be able to buy one right now? I read the text about this in gretrostuff.com but I am a little bit confused. Is it open right now? May I be able to get one just clicking the PayPal button at the end of this page?

Thanks a lot ;)
rigisme

Post by rigisme »

DiegoPonga wrote:Hi, superg,

I am very interested in this. May I be able to buy one right now? I read the text about this in gretrostuff.com but I am a little bit confused. Is it open right now? May I be able to get one just clicking the PayPal button at the end of this page?

Thanks a lot ;)
Yes, you use the PayPal at the bottom of that page to buy it.
superg

Post by superg »

Thanks a lot ;)
Yes, it's open. Please make sure you understand that this is a pre order ;)
superg

Post by superg »

superg wrote:I've just had a paypal case opened on late gscartsw pre order. I had no communication with the person, and I was never contacted about this order. The case is empty and it was actually filled on paypal through the financial institution.
Creating a paypal case when the pre order went through and I've already spend the funds towards manufacturing the unit results in immediate refund using my own funds and permanent blacklisting.
I believe the pre order terms are pretty clear on gretrostuff.com and I ask everybody to read everything before placing the order.
The guy is threatening to sue me ;)
Clearly something is wrong with some people.
DiegoPonga

Post by DiegoPonga »

superg wrote:

Thanks a lot ;)
Oh, ok, that is what confused me a bit ;)

If it is a pre-order, when would you send it? In July I will probably change my address, so this would be relevant for me.
superg

Post by superg »

DiegoPonga wrote:
superg wrote:

Thanks a lot ;)
Oh, ok, that is what confused me a bit ;)

If it is a pre-order, when would you send it? In July I will probably change my address, so this would be relevant for me.
gcompsw pre order ETA is 2nd part of July / 1st part of August.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

superg wrote:The guy is threatening to sue me ;)
How would that even work? lol

Some people...
superg

Post by superg »

Taiyaki wrote:
superg wrote:The guy is threatening to sue me ;)
How would that even work? lol

Some people...
It happened after I talked about the situation here. Said that if I continue to post about it in "social media" he will sue the shit out of me. Anyways it ended up by the insults from his side :)
Whatever, unfortunately I have to deal with a situation like that from time to time, that's why I want to shift the distribution elsewhere.
superg

Post by superg »

I got another paypal case opened by a financial institution. I think that was a while ago, it's just now it went from bank to paypal.
The person in question had the switch delivered on April 1 and I have all the tracking proofs. Nobody contacted me since, maybe this is a way to get the switch for free?
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

superg wrote:I got another paypal case opened by a financial institution. I think that was a while ago, it's just now it went from bank to paypal.
The person in question had the switch delivered on April 1 and I have all the tracking proofs. Nobody contacted me since, maybe this is a way to get the switch for free?
I'll bet it was that clown who was trolling this thread, complaining about not receiving updates, price too high, etc. He probably bought one intending to do this...
DiegoPonga

Post by DiegoPonga »

superg wrote: gcompsw pre order ETA is 2nd part of July / 1st part of August.
Well, I was interested more in the gscartsw. Same shipping window?
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

DiegoPonga wrote:
superg wrote: gcompsw pre order ETA is 2nd part of July / 1st part of August.
Well, I was interested more in the gscartsw. Same shipping window?
The first post in this thread and the gscartsw order page both state: May 2019.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications