Mega Sg (FPGA Genesis)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
shroom2k

Re: Mega Sg (FPGA Genesis)

Post by shroom2k »

GameLifter wrote:
Wolf_ wrote:
spmbx wrote:That’s a rather strange combination since you can’t use the 32x with the mega sg
Can't use it... yet. They said that it could possibly be compatible in the future using the analogue converter. Which puts me back in the same sitatuation of not wanting to have 3 power cables going to three outlets, 2 of which attached to massive bricks.
I've been wondering about which ways the Mega Sg could support 32X games. Would they be able to do it by adding a 32X core to the FPGA on the Mega Sg then create a simple adapter for the cartridges? Or would they need to create an adapter with a whole extra FPGA in it that has the 32X core on it there to simulate it? On original hardware the 32X has to receive an analog signal from the Genesis/Mega Drive then the 32X is what outputs the signal to the screen. So, with the Mega Sg its digital signal would have to be converted to analog when going to the 32X but how would it output to a modern screen? Maybe the output can still be done digitally from the Mega Sg somehow or would the analog signal going out of the 32X have to be converted back to digital? Or is it more simple than I think?
Most likely if 32X is ever supported at all, it will work exactly the same way as it does on the real Megadrive, except it will have to accept converted output from Analogue's adaptor (if it ever comes out). The final analog output will come from 32X directly, no digital benefits, I presume. And even more devices and cables.
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

GameLifter wrote:
Wolf_ wrote:
spmbx wrote:That’s a rather strange combination since you can’t use the 32x with the mega sg
Can't use it... yet. They said that it could possibly be compatible in the future using the analogue converter. Which puts me back in the same sitatuation of not wanting to have 3 power cables going to three outlets, 2 of which attached to massive bricks.
I've been wondering about which ways the Mega Sg could support 32X games. Would they be able to do it by adding a 32X core to the FPGA on the Mega Sg then create a simple adapter for the cartridges? Or would they need to create an adapter with a whole extra FPGA in it that has the 32X core on it there to simulate it? On original hardware the 32X has to receive an analog signal from the Genesis/Mega Drive then the 32X is what outputs the signal to the screen. So, with the Mega Sg its digital signal would have to be converted to analog when going to the 32X but how would it output to a modern screen? Maybe the output can still be done digitally from the Mega Sg somehow or would the analog signal going out of the 32X have to be converted back to digital? Or is it more simple than I think?
Creating a 32x core would be a long and involved effort and they have a lot more popular stuff to focus on for the time being. It sounds like they simply intend to make it so you can wire the mega sg to the 32x via the analogue adapter.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

I doubt the 32X hardware plus Genesis/MD hardware would even fit on the Cyclone V. You'd have to replicate two Hitachi SH-2 CPUs, the graphics hardware, the additional sound hardware the 32X provides, all on top of the 68000, Genesis VDP and everything else.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Any good programs to change the region of a game? I have mixed region games, and I get a little irritated changing the region of the system.
I've read you can change it in HEX editors, but that seems a bit confusing.
This is the main reason why my interest for this system has more or less vanished completely for the moment. I was sure I would rush out to buy one once I saw the image quality but changing the region on this thing seems like a chore. Especially if you want to run a region locked PAL game in 60Hz, like Turtles from Konami, you would have to boot the game in 50Hz > open the system menu, go through a few options to select 60Hz > exit the menu. And if you reset the game it's the same annoying procedure all over again. It's SO much easer to just flick the switch on my Mega Drive to do this.

I can't believe there isn't an option to auto force 60Hz. Something like holding down a button on the pad during start to select region like the switchless mods (boot in 50Hz for x seconds and then auto switch to 60Hz), I would have thought this would have been included. Hopefully this could be added in the jailbroken firmware sometime :)

I also wonder if it could be built into a MD1 shell with nice results. Not that I don't like how it looks, but combined with a Mega CD it just looks dumb :D
Cannonballs

Post by Cannonballs »

That’s a bummer you can’t set it to auto change region. My games are 50/50 USA/Japanese so that does sound like a chore.

Has there been a date for the game gear adapter posted?
GameLifter

Post by GameLifter »

ApolloBoy wrote:I doubt the 32X hardware plus Genesis/MD hardware would even fit on the Cyclone V. You'd have to replicate two Hitachi SH-2 CPUs, the graphics hardware, the additional sound hardware the 32X provides, all on top of the 68000, Genesis VDP and everything else.
Could all of the 32X hardware fit on its own Cyclone V in an adapter or would it still take up too much space?
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

Konsolkongen wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:Any good programs to change the region of a game? I have mixed region games, and I get a little irritated changing the region of the system.
This is the main reason why my interest for this system has more or less vanished completely for the moment. I was sure I would rush out to buy one once I saw the image quality but changing the region on this thing seems like a chore. Especially if you want to run a region locked PAL game in 60Hz, like Turtles from Konami, you would have to boot the game in 50Hz > open the system menu, go through a few options to select 60Hz > exit the menu. And if you reset the game it's the same annoying procedure all over again. It's SO much easer to just flick the switch on my Mega Drive to do this.

I can't believe there isn't an option to auto force 60Hz. Something like holding down a button on the pad during start to select region like the switchless mods (boot in 50Hz for x seconds and then auto switch to 60Hz), I would have thought this would have been included. Hopefully this could be added in the jailbroken firmware sometime :)
It's the same with me with the SuperNt. Much more annoying, some SNES games (some of my favorits btw.) checking region time by time during gameplay (e.g. end of a level). It would be sooooo easy to circumvent - super easy! By speaking of this behaviour, the SuperNT and also the MegaSG is region locked as soon as the game checks if the video mode matches the cartridge region!
Still most PAL games are not adapted in their game play speed, so playing them in 60Hz is the way to go. Yet, Analogue is not interested at all (at least for the SuperNt).
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

GameLifter wrote:
ApolloBoy wrote:I doubt the 32X hardware plus Genesis/MD hardware would even fit on the Cyclone V. You'd have to replicate two Hitachi SH-2 CPUs, the graphics hardware, the additional sound hardware the 32X provides, all on top of the 68000, Genesis VDP and everything else.
Could all of the 32X hardware fit on its own Cyclone V in an adapter or would it still take up too much space?
I don't think the answer to that question really matters because there is no chance Analogue is planning to release a standalone 32x fpga.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I'm really surprised you can't just use a region changer, for the roms. Maybe I'll have to look into that Hex editor, but that may be a little confusing.

EDIT: In case anyone cares, I was able to get things running the way I want in USA mode. If you have one of those dual translation roms, and want the English text, use this program: https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1344/ and uncheck the JP section, and just leave USA.

If you have a region protected game, use this program: https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1054/ and put in codes from this page: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/genesis/9 ... faqs/60595

For GGGuy, you will have to convert the roms to BIN format using this program: https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/383/

For PAL games, I have no idea, as I don't have any.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

borti4938 wrote: It's the same with me with the SuperNt. Much more annoying, some SNES games (some of my favorits btw.) checking region time by time during gameplay (e.g. end of a level). It would be sooooo easy to circumvent - super easy! By speaking of this behaviour, the SuperNT and also the MegaSG is region locked as soon as the game checks if the video mode matches the cartridge region!
Still most PAL games are not adapted in their game play speed, so playing them in 60Hz is the way to go. Yet, Analogue is not interested at all (at least for the SuperNt).
By reading this thread it doesn't seem like Analogue are listening to customer feedback at all :(

Here's hoping that smokemonster can correct these issues in his firmware.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Konsolkongen wrote:
borti4938 wrote: It's the same with me with the SuperNt. Much more annoying, some SNES games (some of my favorits btw.) checking region time by time during gameplay (e.g. end of a level). It would be sooooo easy to circumvent - super easy! By speaking of this behaviour, the SuperNT and also the MegaSG is region locked as soon as the game checks if the video mode matches the cartridge region!
By reading this thread it doesn't seem like Analogue are listening to customer feedback at all :(

Here's hoping that smokemonster can correct these issues in his firmware.

Can you tell me a bit about smokemonster's firmware? Is it for the SuperNt or the Mega SG? I'd like to know what people have been able to add to these machines. They seem to have some odd "quirks", that never get addressed.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I don’t own either. But as far as I know he is the only one making a custom firmware.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

he is the only one releasing a custom firmware.

There's no difference between the official and the custom FWs except the SD card functionality. And does anybody really believe that somebody else is creating these FWs than Kevtris?
Last edited by Fudoh on Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

I sure don't believe it. Kevtris is the sole dev here.
We apologise for the inconvenience
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Fudoh wrote:he is the only one releasing a custom firmware.

There's no difference between the official and the custom FWs except the SD card functionality. And does anybody really believe that somebody else is creating these FWs than Kevtris?
That's why I don't think there is any reaction to customer requests. :lol:
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I'll buy both of them in a heartbeat if these annoyances are fixed :)
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

The "unofficial" "jailbreak" "third party" firmware's ambiguous authorship is surely a thing so that the product, as developed and released, does not support any piracy. If the curtain is moved aside too far, then the mystery man behind the curtain might could get in trouble.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

mikejmoffitt wrote:The "unofficial" "jailbreak" "third party" firmware's ambiguous authorship is surely a thing so that the product, as developed and released, does not support any piracy. If the curtain is moved aside too far, then the mystery man behind the curtain might could get in trouble.
It's me!!!

Well, maybe not.
Domino

Post by Domino »

I got my Mega SG and I jailbreak the F out of it. Thank you FBX for your recommended settings. I just leave the Mega Drive sound to sound the cleanest. Also, GG Aleste on your TV you guys.
Konsolkongen wrote:

I also wonder if it could be built into a MD1 shell with nice results. Not that I don't like how it looks, but combined with a Mega CD it just looks dumb :D
It only takes a few seconds and you don't have to get up your couch, since you can do it from your controller.

Also keep in mind most of the people who are buying it are from the 60hz Nippon MMerica Land.
Galgomite

Post by Galgomite »

Lack of 32X is undeniably disappointing-- and it would have been huge if you could play CD ISO's, even if it required a Sega CD attached, since there are so many systems out there with bad drives. While these features could still appear, I get a sense that there's a low budget for "jailbreak" features, and going by the Super NT never getting FX chip support for ROMs, we're probably at the end of the road for Mega SG surprises.
I really thought Analogue would respond to the changing conditions of a marketplace that already has an open source FPGA console and lagless PC emulators. I guess I was wrong.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

I have to say, it would be nice if Analogue posted more updates instead of useless GIFs of various games on their Twitter...
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

Speaking of the 32x on mega sg a 3d printed riser now exists for it (even though it isn't supported to be used with the MSG yet)
https://twitter.com/collingall/status/1 ... 5721369601
Galgomite

Post by Galgomite »

The 32X riser is cool! Personally I'm waiting for a giant plastic wedge to make it look good on Sega CD.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Lol! That will take days to print! :D
DaShad0w

Post by DaShad0w »

Oops double post
Last edited by DaShad0w on Tue May 14, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaShad0w

Post by DaShad0w »

Fudoh wrote:If somebody feels like confirming the scanline issue, here's what I see:

Set the machine to 720p output. Disable vertical interpolation (otherwise the pixels rows will bleed upwards through the scanlines). Enable scanlines. The scanlines max out roughly at the 100 setting and don't change afterwards. They stay rather dim. With hybrid scanlines the completely vanish from any brighter objects and remain dim on darker objects and backgrounds.

Enable advanced video mode, to the extended sizing controls and decrease the vertical size from 720 to 719. Now the scanlines work as intended (and gain intensity up to the 255 setting). Looks great at roughly 140-150 and hybrid ones look even better. Light on bright objects and strong on dark objects. Due to the improper integer scale, scanlines are not perfect everywhere on the screen. At 719 scanlines are dimmer on top of the screen. If you alter the vertical sizing slightly (716/717/718/719) you can see that the "good scanlines areas" are shifted up and down on the screen. Once you set the vertical sizing to 720 px the scanlines snap back into "limited mode" described above.
Hello,

I have this issue aswell and i have made contact with analogue and they have created a ticket.
They asked me to let them know which brand/model tv's have this issue.

Can everybody who has this issue let me know which brand/model tv they have? more brands/models mean they will take the issue more serious and then they must solve it :)

Thanks!!!

Kind regards,

Ronald
Nico87

Post by Nico87 »

Ya'll with 4K TVs, which of FirebrandX's settings are you using? 720p the way to go?
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

I have a 4k set and use his 1080p settings. I don't use any scanlines.
Nico87

Post by Nico87 »

Johnpv wrote:I have a 4k set and use his 1080p settings. I don't use any scanlines.
4x or 5x? 4x looks brilliant but I get quite large borders around the picture
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Nico87 wrote:
Johnpv wrote:I have a 4k set and use his 1080p settings. I don't use any scanlines.
4x or 5x? 4x looks brilliant but I get quite large borders around the picture
I do 5x, I don't mind the few pixels that end up being cut off on the top and bottom. The majority of the time its not even noticeable, and if it does happen to hit into something needed I'll drop it down to 4x.