OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
MidOrFeed2015

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

I played Super Metroid for 2 weeks straight on my OSSC and I didn't notice a single dropped signal. I was impressed.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

I have finally installed my dejitter on my 1chip03 and nesrgb. Stable and glorious

The only console left to fix is my consolised MVS. I have been looking out for a dfo to bring the speed up to a correct 59.94mhz as my tv displays it at 59hz. This gives me screen tearing on scrolling games, which is most of them.

Would it be too simple a solution to take a functioning Crystal from a broken old genesis and perform a crystal swap? Has anyone tried a direct transplant like that?
I’m wondering if that would work
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

I've been out of the OSSC loop for a good while. Have we reached the point where we can easily import optimal timings, perhaps by updating with a preconfigured firmware file?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

fernan1234 wrote:I've been out of the OSSC loop for a good while. Have we reached the point where we can easily import optimal timings, perhaps by updating with a preconfigured firmware file?
As of 0.82, you can use this tool to configure profiles, export the resulting config as a binary (and export to JSON as a backup), write the bin to an SD card like you would a firmware update, and then use a configuration import function to import your profiles.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

Additonally, FBX has made a set of optimal timings for most consoles (except PS1 iirc) that you can import (or modify as you see fit) to get you started. It’s on his webpage.
MidOrFeed2015

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

is it possible for ossc to apply an hq2x filter? I was watching a DCHDMI vid and that board is able to do hq2x to clean up the image, which is cool. I think a lot of 3d would benefit from this (no need for hq2x on 2d).
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

MidOrFeed2015 wrote:is it possible for ossc to apply an hq2x filter?
Yes. Redguy implemented filters more than a year ago. Unfortunately, due to size constraints at the time, they had to be released in an alternate firmware. Now that the softcore has been changed, filters can probably be added to the main FW.
There is a link to the alternate FW at VGP:
https://www.videogameperfection.com/201 ... s-feature/
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

What other versions are there besides this one and do we still have anyone who's willing to experiment with dithering or that low line count feature I mentioned awhile ago?
"Don't HD my SD!!"
MidOrFeed2015

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

Harrumph wrote:
MidOrFeed2015 wrote:is it possible for ossc to apply an hq2x filter?
Yes. Redguy implemented filters more than a year ago. Unfortunately, due to size constraints at the time, they had to be released in an alternate firmware. Now that the softcore has been changed, filters can probably be added to the main FW.
There is a link to the alternate FW at VGP:
https://www.videogameperfection.com/201 ... s-feature/
neat. so then maybe we can get a 0.83a which includes that?
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

Pardon my ignorance but isn’t the HQ2X filter that terrible filter used in every bad Sega compilation? Give me my pixels pure and unaltered please.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Yeah, even bilinear is better than HQx or 2xSaI or Eagle whatever.

I'd rather see a horizontal+vertical combined scanlines to simulate a CRT a bit rather than any of that tbh.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

filters are gross, I'd rather save the space for other features more in keeping with the purpose of the device
Kez

Post by Kez »

I am in agreement that these filters look hideous on sprite work, but the footage of DCHDMI using them with 3D content actually didn't look too bad at all in the DF Retro video. I'll definitely be checking it out in person if/when the firmware is released, and if it is something that could be applied to OSSC it would be an interesting option I think.
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

Kez wrote:I am in agreement that these filters look hideous on sprite work, but the footage of DCHDMI using them with 3D content actually didn't look too bad at all in the DF Retro video. I'll definitely be checking it out in person if/when the firmware is released, and if it is something that could be applied to OSSC it would be an interesting option I think.
Smearing vaseline on your HDTV also blurs details and jagged edges. I really don’t understand his stance while in the same video he’s critical on the analog boxes losing detail on the Crazy Taxi cab. HQ2X will do the same with texture detail. You can even see it in his DOA2 comparison screenshots. Very strange... :?
Kez

Post by Kez »

H6rdc0re wrote:Smearing vaseline on your HDTV also blurs details and jagged edges.
I'm not sure that it does, would you mind trying it out and providing some photographic evidence? :)
H6rdc0re wrote:I really don’t understand his stance while in the same video he’s critical on the analog boxes losing detail on the Crazy Taxi cab. HQ2X will do the same with texture detail. You can even see it in his DOA2 comparison screenshots. Very strange... :?
The Crazy Taxi footage was specifically losing detail due to blown out colours, and is not something that can simply be toggled on and off. I am not saying I was amazed by the smoothing results, but surprised by how little I noticed it in the non-zoomed shots. I find the jaggies on DC to be pretty distracting in some games, so I can certainly imagine situations where losing a small amount of detail to eliminate them would actually be viable at a normal viewing distance.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

maxtherabbit wrote:filters are gross
Depends, for me it's just the most common that are. I like light smoothing that doesn't destroy colors and details, and it's better when directional and customizable.
The kind that are actually available but nobody uses (mostly because unaware) like bilinear/filter + prescale 2 or 3 in MAME, or just defocus X & Y with HLSL (everything else off, you only use the two sliders)
Of course there's no pseudo HD-ification with those.
shroom2k

Post by shroom2k »

The Genesis Plus GX emulator on the Wii has filters that can sort of 'simulate' composite and s-video output, with color bleed and such. I know I'm not supposed to like it, but I was surprised at how much I actually enjoy that look. I'm all for making this type of thing available on the OSSC.
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

Getting Sonic's waterfalls to look like actual waterfalls is a thing you know. :P
"Don't HD my SD!!"
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

Xyga wrote: I'd rather see a horizontal+vertical combined scanlines
Marqs has confirmed it will be in the next firmware.
https://www.videogameperfection.com/for ... post-25676
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

:o
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Harrumph wrote:
Nice!!
MidOrFeed2015

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

H6rdc0re wrote:Pardon my ignorance but isn’t the HQ2X filter that terrible filter used in every bad Sega compilation? Give me my pixels pure and unaltered please.
you're not wrong, but I was talking about strictly for 3D. in 2D it is disgusting but 3d seems to benefit. it looks to be a good solution since rendering res cannot be controlled by scalars
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Haven't checked back in a while, was there more discussion of a 480p/480i>240p conversion mode for output to 15kHz CRT's? So something useful to fix games on Wii and Xbox 360 that didn't have a 240p output but were 240p internally, like Mega Man 9 and the Konami rebirth games?
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

Harrumph wrote:
Awesome! This is the best news I've heard all year.

Thanks Marqs!
"Don't HD my SD!!"
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

I haven't tried my OSSC for a while but am having a hard time getting my TCL 65R617 4K TV to not stretch the 240p image. My old 1080p TV, when I put it on 2x mode the image was small, 3x a little larger, etc. (all the way up to 5x where it fills the screen top to bottom). The TCL seems like every mode fills the screen top-to-bottom (with 5x, at 1920x1200 cutting off a little bit of the top and bottom). The TV is in Picture Size "Direct", but tried all the modes).

I'm assuming this is detrimental to the image but can't find out how to make the TV play nice. This is a pretty common TV tons of people use I know so it has to be something stupid, right?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I haven't tried my OSSC for a while but am having a hard time getting my TCL 65R617 4K TV to not stretch the 240p image.
isn't this the issue of automatic underscan elimination which Bob once described and which can only be deactivased using a special menu through the Roku remote? I don't recall the details, but it was mentioned a few times.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Dochartaigh wrote:I haven't tried my OSSC for a while but am having a hard time getting my TCL 65R617 4K TV to not stretch the 240p image. My old 1080p TV, when I put it on 2x mode the image was small, 3x a little larger, etc. (all the way up to 5x where it fills the screen top to bottom). The TCL seems like every mode fills the screen top-to-bottom (with 5x, at 1920x1200 cutting off a little bit of the top and bottom). The TV is in Picture Size "Direct", but tried all the modes).

I'm assuming this is detrimental to the image but can't find out how to make the TV play nice. This is a pretty common TV tons of people use I know so it has to be something stupid, right?
I don't think I've ever seen a consumer TV not scale an image, and I've only ever seen what you're describing on my desktop PC with the GPU drivers configured to center a low-resolution image instead of scaling it.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Dochartaigh wrote:I haven't tried my OSSC for a while but am having a hard time getting my TCL 65R617 4K TV to not stretch the 240p image. My old 1080p TV, when I put it on 2x mode the image was small, 3x a little larger, etc. (all the way up to 5x where it fills the screen top to bottom). The TCL seems like every mode fills the screen top-to-bottom (with 5x, at 1920x1200 cutting off a little bit of the top and bottom). The TV is in Picture Size "Direct", but tried all the modes).

I don't have that specific model (I have a P 5 series, I think), but I've not had any issues with it stretching the image. To my eye, line5x in 1600x1200 mode is a nearly perfect match for the aspect ratio of the CRT I have right next to it. 1920x1200 looked a little stretched by comparison, but not like "fill the screen" stretched. I didn't have to do anything other than leave the TV in "Direct" as I do for all inputs.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Fudoh wrote:isn't this the issue of automatic underscan elimination which Bob once described and which can only be deactivased using a special menu through the Roku remote? I don't recall the details, but it was mentioned a few times.
I'll have to find that post - I do have access to some special developer? back-end of the TV via web browser actually (that's how I capture screenshots from the TCL), but there's a couple other remote button combos that will put you into other special menus.

nmalinoski wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a consumer TV not scale an image, and I've only ever seen what you're describing on my desktop PC with the GPU drivers configured to center a low-resolution image instead of scaling it.
I've only had a Vizio and a pair of TCL's in the time I've had the XRGB-mini and OSSC, but my first one (think it was a Vizio E series or something) kept the image actual size for the pixels I believe - so 2x was a pretty small 4:3 square (since it would only be 640x480 pixels for 240p 2x), 3x was larger, etc. I could very well be confusing the XRGB-mini with the OSSC since this was a while ago though (if this is something the FM does and not the OSSC).

thebigcheese wrote:I don't have that specific model (I have a P 5 series, I think), but I've not had any issues with it stretching the image. To my eye, line5x in 1600x1200 mode is a nearly perfect match for the aspect ratio of the CRT I have right next to it. 1920x1200 looked a little stretched by comparison, but not like "fill the screen" stretched. I didn't have to do anything other than leave the TV in "Direct" as I do for all inputs.
I'll have to try that - I did notice the image would get wider or thinner depending on the mode - which I was also confused about. No matter what the multiplier, the image should always be 4:3 ratio, right? So the TV has to be doing this I would think.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Dochartaigh wrote:I'll have to try that - I did notice the image would get wider or thinner depending on the mode - which I was also confused about. No matter what the multiplier, the image should always be 4:3 ratio, right? So the TV has to be doing this I would think.
It is probably the TV doing it, but it depends on the resolution that it's seeing coming in and how it interprets what the signal should look like. Keep in mind that the OSSC can also be set, per mode, to use generic 4:3 scaling or an optimized mode. So you'll also want to check that. Maybe your 2x is set to generic 4:3 but your 5x is set to 8:7? I dunno. Settings also reset when you turn the OSSC off unless you remember to save them, so keep that in mind.