FALCOM Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Blinge

Re: FALCOM Thread

Post by Blinge »

Which version of YS IV is worth playing?
Or is it advisable to try both?
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
CIT

Post by CIT »

Blinge wrote:Which version of YS IV is worth playing?
Or is it advisable to try both?
Well, actually there are four versions:

Ys IV: Dawn of Ys (PC Engine)
Even though it's the non-canonical Ys IV it's a fantastic game and one of the best in the series. Builds on the gameplay from Books I&II and has lots of fun bits of fanservice for people who played the first two games.

Ys IV: Mask of the Sun (SNES)
Pretty lackluster version, but the one that sticks closer to Falcom's script for the game. Personally, I've played through every single Ys game, but this one could never keep my attention.

Ys IV: Mask of the Sun – A New Theory (PS2)
Okayish remake of the SNES game that tries to emulate the look and feel of Ark of Napishtim. It's not as good as that, but I prefer this over the SNES original.

Ys: Memories of Celceta (PSV, PC, soon PS4)
The now official Ys IV and the first version developed by Falcom themselves. It's a "modern" Ys, so if you've played Seven and VIII you know what to expect. Personally, I enjoyed it a lot.

So, to answer your question: Play the PC Engine version or Celceta.

And make sure to give Ys IV: J.D.K. Special a listen. It's the OST for what should have been the PC-88 version of the game, but of course that never happened. Still the "definitive" soundtrack for Ys IV if you ask me though.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Dawn of Ys is the one to play. The other three are all bad in their own special ways. Mask of the Sun (SNES) is the next best one, being nearly tolerable.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

I really liked Dawn of Ys. Much better than Celceta.
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

I played through Ys IV SFC twice. I like its unique music track for the ice cave. I don't see what the weakness of this game is supposed to be.

Didn't play Celceta because it's too buggy.

Dear Falcom,
Release a proper PC port of ao no kiseki already. I don't want to visit dodgy websites to get a Chinese or emulated version. Onegai shimasu.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

ED-057 wrote: Dear Falcom,
Release a proper PC port of ao no kiseki already. I don't want to visit dodgy websites to get a Chinese or emulated version. Onegai shimasu.
Agree totally. I don't get why they ditched on that after bothering to port Zero.

If there are PS4 ports for Ao & Zero, then maybe NISA could get PC ones done alongside the western releases. I trust NISA more now than I did, especially with their move to use some key ToCS I/II localisation staff for CS III. Hopefully, NISA will stick with them for ToCS IV.

For any future PC ports of Falcom titles, NISA should go right to PH3 Games (Durante's new studio) & forget about Laurel Code. Ys VIII's PC version is playing fine for me right now, but this is how it should've been on Day One. The retranslation is good but there's been an occasional typo (I once noticed a "you're" where it should've been "your").

Something else I really would like is Nayuta no Kiseki ported to PS4 & PC. I think the game coming near the end of PSP's life cycle drove XSeed to pass on it... still that doesn't make much sense. They could've made it digital-only like Brandish. Even after the PSP died off, it would've been nice to buy for the PS Vita.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Oh cool I didn't know what Celceta was.

Dawn of Ys it is. Thanks guys.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
supergrafx77

Post by supergrafx77 »

gameoverDude wrote: I trust NISA more now than I did, especially with their move to use some key ToCS I/II localisation staff for CS III. Hopefully, NISA will stick with them for ToCS IV.
Thank god.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

And make sure to give Ys IV: J.D.K. Special a listen. Still the "definitive" soundtrack for Ys IV if you ask me though.
*Ys IV Perfect Collection Vol 1-3
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
KAI

Post by KAI »

Ys IV: J.D.K. Special>Ys IV Perfect Collections

and don't forget to listen the 2nd part of the Ys IV J.D.K. Special (disc 3 of Falcom Special Box '95)
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

*Ys IV: J.D.K. Special < Ys IV Perfect Collections
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Lots of new info and some "gameplay" videos for Ys 9:
https://gematsu.com/2019/03/ys-ix-first ... creenshots

The videos look like very early in-dev stuff though, not the kind of stuff a developer would usually share at this point. They are unlisted videos, too.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

At their ToCS III page, https://thelegendofheroes.com, NISA has a few character voice previews up.

So far there are ones for Rean, Alisa, Elliot, Emma, & Fie. These are the same voice actors from the first 2. 8) Looks like they've got this covered well.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Ys IX is looking pretty slick so far. Seems like it's gonna shake up the series like VI and Seven did. New trilogy please!
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
LichbannMejolaro

Post by LichbannMejolaro »

As someone who played just a couple of the YS games (Origin, Celceta, VII and Felghana (one of my favorite games of all time)), and only played them because of the gameplay (don't care about the story to be honest and skipped always that was possible), is it worth to play the oldest versions of the game? Is it the gameplay rewarding and hard as the later games?
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

LichbannMejolaro wrote:As someone who played just a couple of the YS games (Origin, Celceta, VII and Felghana (one of my favorite games of all time)), and only played them because of the gameplay (don't care about the story to be honest and skipped always that was possible), is it worth to play the oldest versions of the game? Is it the gameplay rewarding and hard as the later games?
Even more focused on gameplay, more of great music tracks and you can play on Nightmare difficulty.
I can't think of a reason why you shouldn't.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

The older games are entirely gameplay focused, however, it's not as challenging and involving as Felghana. Most of them require some grinding, too, though it's usually really fast.
LichbannMejolaro

Thanks for the answers, I'll try to get them asap then.
LichbannMejolaro

Sumez wrote:The older games are entirely gameplay focused, however, it's not as challenging and involving as Felghana. Most of them require some grinding, too, though it's usually really fast.
To be honest, I don't think any game I'll play for the rest of my life will be as good as Felghana. It is so tight, everything works perfectly: gameplay, music, challenge etc.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Yes, they aren't comparable to Felghana at all, and play completely differently. But they are super charming in their own right.
Steamflogger Boss

If you only care about gameplay, VIII is complete trash.
LichbannMejolaro

Steamflogger Boss wrote:If you only care about gameplay, VIII is complete trash.
Oh, really? I was really close to buying it on Vita.
Steamflogger Boss

Depends what you like I suppose. All the boss fights are just stand in front of the boss, flash guard, wail on boss repeat.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Felghana is the best Ys game overall, but gameplay-wise Origin edges it out. I'm replaying Origin with the Felghana music files right now.

I'm probably in the minority but I would NOT recommend Ys 1&2. I tried playing the GOG version of Ys 1 on Nightmare and quit at the bat boss despite being max level. It felt more like winning was a matter of where the RNG decided to move the bat swarm attack than any skill on my part. I'm told Dark Fact is even worse.

Maybe Ys 2 redeemed the gameplay mechanics, but I would recommend Ys VII and VIII over Ys 1 in a heartbeat. You'll see all the best bosses recreated in a more entertaining form in Ys Origin anyway, including the bat boss.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

but I would recommend Ys VII and VIII over Ys 1 in a heartbeat.
No
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'm probably in the minority who really liked Ys 8 (even though it took a long time to grow on me), but I wouldn't even bother comparing it directly to Ys 1 & 2, they are just vastly different types of game with nothing in common outside of the fast pace, and carefree bright atmosphere that's a constant for the entire Ys series.

Ys 1 & 2 are definitely not without their own jank, what with the bump combat and all, but it's really hard not to enjoy them.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Forgive me if this was discussed earlier in the thread but which versions of Ys: The Oath in Felghana should I play? I just assumed the PC version would be best (seems to run fine on a 2011 mac book via bootcamp) but I recently learned the PSP version has voice acting (which is not that big a deal for me) and other small improvements.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

scrilla4rella wrote:Forgive me if this was discussed earlier in the thread but which versions of Ys: The Oath in Felghana should I play? I just assumed the PC version would be best (seems to run fine on a 2011 mac book via bootcamp) but I recently learned the PSP version has voice acting (which is not that big a deal for me) and other small improvements.
The PSP version unfortunately only tops out at 30 FPS as opposed to the PC version's 60+ FPS. The PSP version also adds a mechanic called Double Boost which you can activate when your Boost Gauge is filled twice over, but it has the side-effect of making the game much easier since you can recover health while dealing in damage in Double Boost mode, on top of dealing more damage in general in Double Boost mode than in regular Boost Mode.

One cool thing that the PSP version does have is a NG+ mode where you can choose to inherit some of the things of your previous playthrough, like your armor, your ability to double-jump, and to recharge boost mana faster. I'd still toss my vote for the PC version though.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Is there a definitive version of Ys 1 and 2? I've only played the steam version. It was fine but I'd prefer save points over being able to save anywhere.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Personally I enjoyed the PC Engine and PSP versions the most, but I don't know if there's a "definitive" one. PCE for a classic experience, but with a much faster pace than the original PC-88 versions. PSP for a modern, upgraded version, that still retains the signature bump combat. I'm not sure how it differs from the one on Steam.
Last edited by Sumez on Sun May 05, 2019 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.