shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:03 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229 ... 231  Next
 Post subject: Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:14 am 

Would a Garo work for connecting a WII/GC/PS2 to a NECXM29 DSUB port for 480p? Directly hooked up no Gscart mickey mouse shenanigans. From what I've read the answer is a resounding no. If so what are my other options? I also have a AES with component mod but not rgb.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:17 pm 

hugo19941994 wrote:
Yes the mod is a bit of a mess. I also had to remove a shit-ton of glue... It's the same guy who did my NESRGB install which was actually done quite nicely.

The mod will do for now. Once I get a good soldering iron or station I'll try to rework it and install the RGB board. Might as well install the stereo sound board and remove the two separate pots for the L and R channel which it has now.

Thanks again for the info.

Just wanted to give an update. The interference, for some reason, was because of the 9V -> 5V step down converter (https://i.imgur.com/z6mEm4d.jpg). I'm now using a 5V 4A Triad PSU without the converter and the video has improved drastically. I can't see any interference. I then removed the previous audio mod and installed n00b's Stereo circuit with a 5V mod to have equal volume on both channels.

In general I've rewired everything and it's now much easier to work with. Thanks for the help Kez.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Wii RGB cable - quality without breaking the bank
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:16 am 

Wii RGB cable--any good verified sellers? I mean, without dropping literally $75 CAD on a retroaccess cable?

Bought one (actually two) off eBay and they exhibit diagonal noise. Oddly enough most visible in GenPlusGX in Sonic 2 blue sky. And to add insult to injury my JVC X-Eye doesn't have an *visible* interference on my PVM, while the Wii with this cable does.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Grey-1-8m-RGB-S ... 2749.l2649

There has to be a middle ground between $8 and $80...right?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:21 am 

Is anyone using an extron interface to horizontally center 15kHz RGBS? I use a 203 rxi to center (and sync convert) my Xbox and DC VGA, but it won't take in RGBS it seems. Really miss that functionality as I have to use the sync stripper in my GSCART to feed into my crosspoint, which offsets the picture. I'd rather not adjust my PVMs to account for it as I also feed them component signals that don't require adjusting.

Edit: spec sheet of 203 sure seems like it should accept RGBS 15kHz...wonder why mine says "no input"...
https://www.extron.com/download/files/s ... 101909.pdf

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:11 am 

My Extron 160xi is very picky about which system's sync it will play nice with. The Mega Drive, it just can't stand at all. Meanwhile, the Extron RGB 304 is even worse - it only accepted SFC unless I turned off all sync processing.

But my old Extron RGB 202 Plus takes it all, doesn't distort anything, and has handy knobs on the front for both horizontal and vertical centering.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:53 pm 

HDgaming42 wrote:
Is anyone using an extron interface to horizontally center 15kHz RGBS? I use a 203 rxi to center (and sync convert) my Xbox and DC VGA, but it won't take in RGBS it seems. Really miss that functionality as I have to use the sync stripper in my GSCART to feed into my crosspoint, which offsets the picture. I'd rather not adjust my PVMs to account for it as I also feed them component signals that don't require adjusting.

Edit: spec sheet of 203 sure seems like it should accept RGBS 15kHz...wonder why mine says "no input"...
https://www.extron.com/download/files/s ... 101909.pdf

What consoles are you experiencing this with? The Extron RGB interfaces require clean composite sync (separate sync is clean by definition), so if you're trying to feed it composite video (most common for RGB SCART) or luma as your composite sync, it won't recognize the signal.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:59 pm 

Can anyone tell me how to insert pics here?
Its not easy mode like texting. I havent been in any real forums in years.
It would be nice if there was a "Insert Image" button in the post reply screen.

I see this happens when i press Img

but i'm not clear after that.
Its crazy that i have to actually go on google to just to learn this.
It should be easy like Facebook and other social media.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:15 pm 

DJ Kevgeez wrote:

essentially, you don't

this forum does not host images, if you wish for an image to appear in your post you must upload it elsewhere on the internet (imgur, tinypic, etc.) and then use that img button to embed a link to it

-I'm perfectly happy with this board sharing NOTHING with facebook-

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Wii RGB cable - quality without breaking the bank
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:22 pm 

HDgaming42 wrote:
Wii RGB cable--any good verified sellers? I mean, without dropping literally $75 CAD on a retroaccess cable?

Bought one (actually two) off eBay and they exhibit diagonal noise. Oddly enough most visible in GenPlusGX in Sonic 2 blue sky. And to add insult to injury my JVC X-Eye doesn't have an *visible* interference on my PVM, while the Wii with this cable does.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Grey-1-8m-RGB-S ... 2749.l2649

There has to be a middle ground between $8 and $80...right?

Is this for a PAL Wii, or a softmodded Wii set up to output PAL video? If so, then you can buy a regular shielded cable (not the more expensive packapunch one) from UK-based retrogamingcables. After also trying ebay crap, I used their cable with a PAL Wii and the video was completely clean, audio only had very faint noise audible only at really high volume.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:06 am 

SamIAm wrote:
My Extron 160xi is very picky about which system's sync it will play nice with. The Mega Drive, it just can't stand at all. Meanwhile, the Extron RGB 304 is even worse - it only accepted SFC unless I turned off all sync processing.

But my old Extron RGB 202 Plus takes it all, doesn't distort anything, and has handy knobs on the front for both horizontal and vertical centering.

Hmmm. Well I think my 203 is essentially the same as yours, aside from the 3 inputs...

nmalinoski wrote:
What consoles are you experiencing this with? The Extron RGB interfaces require clean composite sync (separate sync is clean by definition), so if you're trying to feed it composite video (most common for RGB SCART) or luma as your composite sync, it won't recognize the signal.

They all feed through a GSCART switch with the sync separator active, the into an extron crosspoint, then looped out in the 203, back into the crosspoint, and out to the PVM.

SNES - no issues
Saturn - no issues
Wii softmodded PAL over RGB SCART - 240p content via emulators provide no issues
Playstation original model - looks like it's interlaced and the fields are pulled apart (is the boot screen 480i?)
TurboDuo - unknown, in transit--will test later
JVC X'eye both cartridge and disc - no signal registered on 203*, rolling green picture on PVM

*oddly enough, if I provide it an RGBHV signal immediately before switching it over to the X'eye I can get a picture. A cold switch results in "no signal".

fernan1234 wrote:
Is this for a PAL Wii, or a softmodded Wii set up to output PAL video? If so, then you can buy a regular shielded cable (not the more expensive packapunch one) from UK-based retrogamingcables. After also trying ebay crap, I used their cable with a PAL Wii and the video was completely clean, audio only had very faint noise audible only at really high volume.

The later. I'm finding myself increasingly dissatisfied with emulating 8 and 16-bit systems on the Wii, so I'm re-thinking investing any more into this experiment. It's good to know a decent cable clears up the noise, but I'm not sure it's worth it if I don't actually enjoy playing!

The input lag in SNES9X is surprising and the audio trails behind. Maybe I'm running a less than ideal version?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:18 am 

Quote:
Hmmm. Well I think my 203 is essentially the same as yours, aside from the 3 inputs...

You have a 203 rxi, right? That's a whole different generation from the 202 Plus that I have. Extron doesn't even have it on their website. Here is an (overpriced) auction with a pic:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EXTRON-RGB-202 ... 2642872560

I think the 108 Plus is almost exactly the same, if you want to try that one instead.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:24 pm 

HDgaming42 wrote:
I'm finding myself increasingly dissatisfied with emulating 8 and 16-bit systems on the Wii, so I'm re-thinking investing any more into this experiment.

If you decide to give it one more chance, I'd suggest sticking to Retroarch rather than the standalone emulators for pretty much everything. The problem is that newer versions of Retroarch weren't tested as well as they used to be a couple of years ago, so a lot of emulation actually got worse. I had to dig out an old 1.3.6 version to get what feels like the best emulation on the Wii. That said, SNES may be the least optimal system to emulate on the Wii.

And yes, the PSX boot screen is 480i.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:32 pm 

HDgaming42 wrote:
Playstation original model - looks like it's interlaced and the fields are pulled apart (is the boot screen 480i?)

Yes, the boot sequence on the PS1 (and PS2, for that matter) is 480i/576i.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:00 am 

What controller setup on Wii are you using that you think shouldn't have input lag?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:15 am 

fernan1234 wrote:
If you decide to give it one more chance, I'd suggest sticking to Retroarch rather than the standalone emulators for pretty much everything. The problem is that newer versions of Retroarch weren't tested as well as they used to be a couple of years ago, so a lot of emulation actually got worse. I had to dig out an old 1.3.6 version to get what feels like the best emulation on the Wii. That said, SNES may be the least optimal system to emulate on the Wii.

Thanks for this--the latest Retroarch would just go to a black screen and crash. Reverting back to 1.3.6 was worth trying--lag seems like less of an issue for SNES. I wish there was a setting for native resolution though--having to dial it in per game gets to be a little much. I'm going to have to make myself a cheat-sheet of resolutions!

SamIAm wrote:
You have a 203 rxi, right? That's a whole different generation from the 202 Plus that I have. Extron doesn't even have it on their website. Here is an (overpriced) auction with a pic:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EXTRON-RGB-202 ... 2642872560

I think the 108 Plus is almost exactly the same, if you want to try that one instead.

Maybe I'm thinking of the 201? Your unit certainly looks nothing like mine!

nmalinoski wrote:
HDgaming42 wrote:

Yes, the boot sequence on the PS1 (and PS2, for that matter) is 480i/576i.

Thanks for confirming.

Einzelherz wrote:
What controller setup on Wii are you using that you think shouldn't have input lag?

Was just using the Wiimote+ in SNES9xGX and SNES9xRX playing Super Mario World. Hitting jump had a noticeable delay between the button press and Mario jumping. Didn't feel that way to me in Sonic using GenPlusGX...

Feels more responsive in Retroarch SNES9x Next. Open to any tips to reduce delay.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:56 pm 

Hi guys, I recently managed to find a JVC TM-290ZE. A rare, large and excellent monitor, see details in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60348&p=1361997#p1361997

Recently I started getting some kind of interference when using it. I assumed it must be a lose connection as it came and went. I tried isolating each thing in the chain, PC, Extron 203, then matrix etc, but turns out it is doing it without any input at all and only seemingly on the RGB input.

When the input is in (see 2nd pic) I get horizontal streaks, discoloration and a bar down the centre of the screen.
With no input (see 1st pic) I just get green horizontal streaks.

Image Image

I seem to be able to just put it in standby and back on again to sort the problem, even just slightly touch the button or tap the set to get rid of the interference but
this is really worrying as it has taken me years to finally find a large pro CRT and it seems to be the monitor not my other parts.

Any thoughts on this problem appreciated.

Last edited by Crayfish on Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:44 pm 

fernan1234 wrote:
HDgaming42 wrote:
I had to dig out an old 1.3.6 version to get what feels like the best emulation on the Wii.

Do you still use Wii Retroarch? Can anyone link to a guide detailing setting up controllers? Googling is a mess now that there is a Wii U, and Retroarch runs on pocket-watches and microwaves.

I don't know how many times now I've locked out my controls and had to delete my retroarch folder and start again. Playing VBA Next and I'm at a part in Castlevania where I need to use "R". Can't seem to re-map it in game, and although connecting a SNES controller to my Kade miniconsole+ (then to the Wiimote) shows up as a classic controller, the L R buttons don't function. And then it locks me out of using the Wiimote so I can't configure Retroarch.

I've tried a PS2/PSX HID adapter, an Xbox 360 wired controller--every joypad with my miniconsole+. Ugh. This is as discouraging as the last time I tried Retroarch, LOL!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:27 pm 

Just get your hands on a wii classic controller if you want to use the Wii for emulation (which I would only suggest for use at 240p with a CRT).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:55 pm 

fernan1234 wrote:
Just get your hands on a wii classic controller if you want to use the Wii for emulation (which I would only suggest for use at 240p with a CRT).

And this allows native mapping of all it's buttons within VBA Next? I mean, I'm emulating a Wii classic controller, but perhaps the emulation isn't 100%?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:56 pm 

Why are you using VBA Next? mGBA is straight up better. It has its own Wii port too, and another port based on Game Boy Interface Standard Edition.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:58 pm 

Not sure about that. Ever since I found a good version of Retroarch Wii I've stayed away from all the standalone emulators (with the exception of stuff that Wii-RA doesn't do, like MSX and Neo Geo CD). Perhaps your emulated wii classic controller would work better on retroarch.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:27 am 

Extrems wrote:
Why are you using VBA Next? mGBA is straight up better. It has its own Wii port too, and another port based on Game Boy Interface Standard Edition.

In all honesty I haven't paid much attention to the emulation scene for quite a while. I have no idea what's considered good nowadays, beyond people pimping Retroarch--which on the Wii you have to stick with old builds.

fernan1234 wrote:
Not sure about that. Ever since I found a good version of Retroarch Wii I've stayed away from all the standalone emulators (with the exception of stuff that Wii-RA doesn't do, like MSX and Neo Geo CD). Perhaps your emulated wii classic controller would work better on retroarch.

Oh, I wasn't clear. I was actually referring to the VBA Next core in Wii Retroarch. Maybe I'll try the stand-alone--or as suggested above, mGBA instead...

EDIT: a non emulated, flesh and blood Wii Classic Controller Pro works great!

Last edited by HDgaming42 on Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:52 am 

maxtherabbit wrote:
DJ Kevgeez wrote:

essentially, you don't

this forum does not host images, if you wish for an image to appear in your post you must upload it elsewhere on the internet (imgur, tinypic, etc.) and then use that img button to embed a link to it

-I'm perfectly happy with this board sharing NOTHING with facebook-

Most boards are like this though.
FB is an app.
But i need the tech guys to see what i'm talking about when i say i have weird horizontal jailbars on my SNES screen.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:25 pm 

is there a reason to use this if i already have a snyc strike?

https://www.videogameperfection.com/pro ... itter-kit/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:30 pm 

Yes, the SNES sync jitter won't be cured by a sync strike.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:37 pm 

DJ Kevgeez:
Put your image on imgur.com (it's free and easy), then paste the link to it here.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:47 pm 

BuckoA51 wrote:

thanks for the reply.
im hoping this will cure an issue i have with my NES and SNES into an extron 203>PVM. I get horizontal tearing at the top of the screen (which doesn't happen when i use a PS1 or 2)
could this work for that, or is this mod mostly relevant for the OSSC?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:06 pm 

vol.2 wrote:
thanks for the reply.
im hoping this will cure an issue i have with my NES and SNES into an extron 203>PVM. I get horizontal tearing at the top of the screen (which doesn't happen when i use a PS1 or 2)

Do you mean that the top portion of the screen bends? If so, this is known as flagging and is resolved either by turning on "VCR Mode" in the settings of certain BVM/PVM models, or by using an Extron RGB unit with a "SERR" switch to remove serration pulses from the sync signal.
There may be other solutions but these two are the most commonly known.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:24 pm 

vol.2 wrote:
BuckoA51 wrote:

thanks for the reply.

If you're interested in fixing the jitter problems to avoid getting another video processor, the NESRGB 2.x revision has dejitter built-in, and there is now a combination RGB bypass/dejitter board for the SNES.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:50 pm 

fernan1234 wrote:
vol.2 wrote:
thanks for the reply.

Do you mean that the top portion of the screen bends? If so, this is known as flagging and is resolved either by turning on "VCR Mode" in the settings of certain BVM/PVM models, or by using an Extron RGB unit with a "SERR" switch to remove serration pulses from the sync signal.
There may be other solutions but these two are the most commonly known.

It's an older PVM without a "vcr mode". The SERR dip on the 203 RXI has no effect at all. It only happens when I go through the Extron with an NES or SNES. I can go directly into the PVM without flagging, but I want the centering ability of the Extron. This has been boggling my mind for like 4 years. Perhaps my 203 SERR switch function is just broken.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229 ... 231  Next