RIVAL MEGAGUN - PVP Battle Shmup

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
sp8cewave

Re: RIVAL STAR HERO - PVP Versus Shmup (Playable at BITSUMMI

Post by sp8cewave »

Rival Star Hero will be playable at BitSummit this weekend. Check it out!
sp8cewave

Re: RIVAL MEGAGUN - PVP Versus Shmup

Post by sp8cewave »

Two updates:

1. BitSummit was good. Lots of people showed up and played the game. Got some good feedback as well. There are some pics on the blog and a link to the BitSummit Twitch stream, on which Degica talked a bit about the game and showed some gameplay.

2. The title of the game has been changed to Rival Megagun to avoid confusion with another game.
Danbo

Post by Danbo »

This looks really slick, good work so far!

Looking forward to netplay especially.
quantumproductions

Post by quantumproductions »

Is netplay confirmed? Curious how you will do the syncing between clients.

Concept looks neat. I am curious to see a full round gameplay video.

It sounds like there's some back and forth -- if I do well with chains, my opponent gets more enemies -- this means they could get more chains right?
Is there a limit to the number of enemies? What have you encountered while developing for balance?
sp8cewave

Post by sp8cewave »

Hey, sorry for the delay.
quantumproductions wrote:Is netplay confirmed? Curious how you will do the syncing between clients.
Yes, I am working on network features right now. Using Unity's networking system.
quantumproductions wrote:It sounds like there's some back and forth -- if I do well with chains, my opponent gets more enemies -- this means they could get more chains right?
Yes, that's right. They're also dealing with more bullets. A huge dump of enemies combined with your mega form can be devastating.
quantumproductions wrote:Is there a limit to the number of enemies? What have you encountered while developing for balance?
Still working on balance. Some challenges so far have been a) making playable ships that are different but fair; and b) designing enemies and bullet patterns that work well together while being spawned somewhat at random.
sp8cewave

Post by sp8cewave »

I can't embed this video on the forum unfortunately. Forgive me for the Twitter links.

Here's a gif preview:

• - Short video here.
    - Another video here (This one is a full round, but still pretty short because I'm bad at my own game apparently.)

We also now have a Discord server!
sp8cewave

Re: RIVAL MEGAGUN - PVP Battle Shmup

Post by sp8cewave »

We've been silently working hard. Our targeted release date is now Q4 this year (2018). We now have a Steam Page!
Sai'ke

Post by Sai'ke »

I've been following you guys over in Twitter-land. Looks really schweet! :mrgreen:

Looking forward to it.
sp8cewave

Post by sp8cewave »

We announced Switch today, along side PC, PS4, and Xbox One. Really wish I could embed YouTube videos. Here's the new trailer:

https://youtu.be/6OPhpKvuZdk
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

This looks really nice :shock:

I just put it on my wishlist :D
Visit: https://shmu.ps
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands
Dale

Post by Dale »

Does the rank go up the longer the match goes? Will it have rollback netcode? I couldn't believe this was real at first I've been dreaming of a game like this.
I did great so much water and milk that I threw up when I was little.
sp8cewave

Post by sp8cewave »

Dale wrote:Does the rank go up the longer the match goes? Will it have rollback netcode? I couldn't believe this was real at first I've been dreaming of a game like this.
Yes, the difficulty increases throughout the match.

Rollback netcode is not used at this time as it hasn't been necessary. Since both players have their own play area, pixel-perfect frame synchronization isn't needed. Both players will never have to dodge the same bullet for example. That said, networking is always a challenge, and the implementation may change in the future to support rollback or some other solution if needed.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Wouldn't the effect be more direct if one player is a boss? At least if I'm understanding it right. Well good luck the game looks very amazing a lot of people have been waiting for something like. Take your time finishing it this will be something people play for a long time.
sp8cewave

Post by sp8cewave »

Yeah, that's exactly right. The boss battles are definitely the most challenging part of networking. I don't know if rollback specifically is the solution yet, but I am working on making sure boss battles play as smoothly as possible. And thanks for the kind words. Glad you're as excited as I am!
sp8cewave

Post by sp8cewave »

Sorry about the lack of updates, been very busy.

Happy to announce Rival Megagun will be launching November 29th! Official trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j7mjngCnHk
Dale

Post by Dale »

My steam handle is fartcrack, I'm always down to grind it out. I'm putting all my energy and time into this game from now on.
James_Degica

Post by James_Degica »

Just dropping in to let you know that this is out (or very close to it) on all platforms right now.

Release info here:
https://twitter.com/DegicaGames/status/ ... 3702738945

Store links (PS4, Switch, XboxONE, Steam) here:
https://rivalmegagun.com
durias

Post by durias »

I love this game!
James_Degica

Post by James_Degica »

We'll be on Cave's Twitch channel on 14th (around 8:15 pm PST) playing Rival Megagun with their team.
https://twitter.com/cave_shooters/statu ... 0344833025
Tune in and say hello!
tiaoferreira

Post by tiaoferreira »

When it will be available?
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

tiaoferreira wrote:When it will be available?
It's been available since last November. Here's the Steam link, but it's also available on consoles: https://store.steampowered.com/app/6541 ... l_Megagun/
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
tiaoferreira

Post by tiaoferreira »

Thanks, man! I'm gonna test it ;)
sp8cewave

Post by sp8cewave »

Hey everyone, pre-orders are now live for the physical release of Rival Megagun on PS4 and Nintendo Switch!

More info at https://firstpressgames.com/collections/rival-megagun.
durias

Post by durias »

Nice!
dwn_013_crash_man

Post by dwn_013_crash_man »

Holy crap this looks amazing! I'm surprised I didn't stumble upon this earlier. Will purchase this asap!
雷 Best STG

II
strawpoll-legend

Post by strawpoll-legend »

Does anyone interested in online play have this game for Switch? It's kinda hard to find matches in the wild, so I figured I'd have more success in just adding someone as a friend and challenging them that way.
okerlo

Post by okerlo »

So, what's the opinion on the game? Do you guys recommend it? Any multiplayer-stories or something like that? :)
sp8cewave

Post by sp8cewave »

strawpoll-legend wrote:Does anyone interested in online play have this game for Switch? It's kinda hard to find matches in the wild, so I figured I'd have more success in just adding someone as a friend and challenging them that way.
Some people use the Discord server for matchmaking. You could ask in here! https://discord.gg/rivalmegagun
sp8cewave

Post by sp8cewave »

By the way, we just released a huge patch on Steam! This is a major update with new online multiplayer options, practice while matchmaking, user avatars, more battle settings, and gameplay tweaks! Additionally, the game is on sale at 40% off. Console updates are coming soon. :)

More information here: https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/ ... 1881071598
Cultstorm

Post by Cultstorm »

I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition of this game back on Feb 9th. Since then, there have been no updates on production or shipping status. I've asked 1st Press Games what's going on in their Twitter and emailed them at the support address they listed on their invoice. So far, they've ignored all of my communications.

I order tons of games from lots of "Limited Run" style companies. Many of them are in Europe as well. But, I've never had an experience like this.

Has anyone else heard from them?

I paid like $150 for this game. I'm thinking of contacting my credit card company.