Softmodding an original Xbox

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bobrocks95

Softmodding an original Xbox

Post by bobrocks95 »

Has anyone done this recently?

I'd prefer not to buy stuff that I'll only use once, so I tried doing the drive hotswapping method where you start the system, then connect the hard drive to an IDE-compatible computer. The swap went fine, but the software I was using (xboxhdm 1.9 I think?) for some reason couldn't detect the Linux disc that it had just booted off of...

I think I read about some newer versions of xboxhdm that may exist?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
nmalinoski

Re: Softmodding an original Xbox

Post by nmalinoski »

I used xboxhdm 1.9 to do mine, but I already had a softmod installed; so I was swapping from UnleashX, not the Microsoft dashboard.

You've disconnected everything in the PC except for the optical drive, and, if it the optical drive is SATA, have you tried setting the operating mode to IDE?

If none of that works, I found this repo for an xboxhdm 2, but I've not used it and can't guarantee it'll help you.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Can't you do this via a James Bond disc? I have a friend who has the disc and could do mine but I haven't asked yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhj3Hetdik8

I suppose if you don't have the game you can't do it
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Spent about 12 hours trying to get this to work. Every guide that mentions hotswapping might as well be stricken from the internet, it just doesn't work right. I wish I had no knowledge of Linux, because then I wouldn't have wasted so much time thinking I was close and getting one step further just to run into more problems.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

What I did was format a USB flash drive as an Xbox memory card.

I suppose you could try the opposite, and plug your Xbox controller into the PC to access its memory slots.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

theclaw wrote:What I did was format a USB flash drive as an Xbox memory card.

I suppose you could try the opposite, and plug your Xbox controller into the PC to access its memory slots.
I did this--made my own adapter by splicing one of those safety-disconnect controller dongles with a USB extension cable, and then used a copy of Splinter Cell to boot and install the softmod--but that goes against his desire to not get anything he'd only use once. :roll:
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

nmalinoski wrote:
theclaw wrote:What I did was format a USB flash drive as an Xbox memory card.

I did this--made my own adapter by splicing one of those safety-disconnect controller dongles with a USB extension cable, and then used a copy of Splinter Cell to boot and install the softmod--but that goes against his desire to not get anything he'd only use once. :roll:
I already bought an adapter and a copy of Splinter Cell, so the sarcasm is unwarranted.