Where the Darius Love at?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ACSeraph

Re: Where the Darius Love at?

Post by ACSeraph »

EmperorIng wrote:I didn't realize it came with all that lovely mock-up marquis art! I can Feel the Darius Love.
The marquees and the replica of the PCB box is an exclusive preorder bonus from Beep, an obscure but incredible shop that specializes in PCBs and retro PCs. I'm pretty sure this particular version of the release will be the rarest of them.
MathU wrote:Curious what version of Darius Gaiden is on that. Can you blow up 3 of King Fossil's fins (without dying) and tell us if the bullets get larger and faster?
Tested it for you this morning, the answer is yes, they do increase in size and intensity.
Last edited by ACSeraph on Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
MathU

Post by MathU »

Guess it's the arcade version then.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

ACSeraph wrote:
EmperorIng wrote:I didn't realize it came with all that lovely mock-up marquis art! I can Feel the Darius Love.
The marquees and the replica of the PCB box is an exclusive preorder bonus from Beep, an obscure but incredible shop that specializes in PCBs and retro PCs. I'm pretty sure this particular version of the release will be the rarest of them.
MathU wrote:Curious what version of Darius Gaiden is on that. Can you blow up 3 of King Fossil's fins (without dying) and tell us if the bullets get larger and faster?
Tested it for you this morning, the answer is yes, they do increase in size and intensity.
The BEEP version looks great! I went for the BEEP version of Ketsui and it was ok.. This one looks much better so I wish I had grabbed it. Thanks for the detailed information and pics!

The BEEP Ketsui box is awesome, just the extra art bit included was sorta disappointing.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
JBueno MD

Post by JBueno MD »

So my Cozmic Collection SE finally got delivered today from Amazon, it joins the rest of my still growing Darius collection.

Random pics from last month´s Megarage collaboration.

brentsg

Post by brentsg »

Great pics, thanks for sharing! That's a lot of awesome.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
J-Manic

Post by J-Manic »

Played my copy of G. Darius earlier today. I still say its the best shooter in the PS1 library. And it looks absolutely gorgeous on my 4k Vizio, in my PS3. Plays beautifully too.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

Thanks for sharing the pics! I've been following the twitter account and it looked very cool.
JBueno MD

Post by JBueno MD »

brentsg wrote:Great pics, thanks for sharing! That's a lot of awesome.
Sure was awesome having all the cabs in one place and playing for a couple of hours. They had a nice little merch store going on, too, picked up some Darius memorabillia as well. Drinks weren´t amazing, but I got me a few Darius themed coasters!
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Please tell me all of those are from Taito Station. I intend to go there soon.
JBueno MD

Post by JBueno MD »

xxx1993 wrote:Please tell me all of those are from Taito Station. I intend to go there soon.
Those cabs were located in Megarage, an arcade bar located whitin a Taito Station nearby Mizonokuchi station in Yamazaki during the Darius Cozmic Collaboration promotion event, which as far as I know ended when the game launched last February 28th; don't know if the cabs will remain there, but I think they might return to their original places. HEY at Akihabara usually keeps Darius 1, 2, Gaiden, G-Darius, and Dariusburst AC, though they have 2 in a conversion big screen cab; if you wanted to play 2 in an original cab there´s always the Mikado near Takadanobaba station, which had all these cabs last time I went there (last month). Have no idea when you can find a Sagaia cab to play though, that was the highlight of the Megarage event for me as I hadn´t played in that cab before!
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I’m going there next week, I hope to find it.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

The original Darius cab was on loan from Hey I think. If you want to play Darius Hey in Akihabara is absolutely the best place to do it. Also check out Natsuge Museum in Akihabara if you wanna enjoy the fine wine that is an original Darius II cab. We ought to just meet up, I wouldn't mind showing you around Akiba if you are around on Saturday or Sunday.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Saturday or Sunday? I’m going to Akihabara the minute I set foot in Japan. You live there?
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Wow, those pics!!!
JBueno MD

Post by JBueno MD »

ACSeraph wrote:The original Darius cab was on loan from Hey I think. If you want to play Darius Hey in Akihabara is absolutely the best place to do it. Also check out Natsuge Museum in Akihabara if you wanna enjoy the fine wine that is an original Darius II cab. We ought to just meet up, I wouldn't mind showing you around Akiba if you are around on Saturday or Sunday.
Yeah I think so, too. The one that was at the event had the same cracks in the plexiglass covering the instructions, so I think it's safe to assume it was the one originally found in Hey as it wasn´t in its original location last month.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

I never found Darius 1 at HEY even after going there a million times, only saw the two DBAC, Darius II, G Darius, Darius Gaiden corner. Where was it, so I don't miss it next time :P

Which version of it are they running, anyways?
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Hey! runs Extra version, because they have good taste :wink: Sometimes they loan it out or send it for repairs, so it's possible it just wasn't around when you were there. Its most recent home is in the corner right next to the two ACEX cabs. PM me sometime if you are out this way, I'm always looking for ACEX partners.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Sorry for the boring tech question, but I thought someone here might know something about this problem. I've recently started playing the Playstation version of Darius Gaiden (my Saturn died and won't be replaced for a long while), and I'm finding that whether I play it on original hardware (a PAL PSOne with a boot disc) or with an emulator, it can't seem to load any music, freezes for a couple of seconds at certain points, and has a pretty inconsistent, jumpy framerate. At first I thought I had a bad disc, but I've tried two now, both in excellent condition, and the performance is exactly the same. Is there anything I can do about this stuff?

Ed: I'm guessing the framerate issues are a problem specific to this outsourced port with its odd priorities (nice lavish CG intro!), but I can't find any mention of the difficulty with reading music from the disc, etc...
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I think the only Darius game I don't like is Super Nova for the SNES. It felt too dark for a Darius game. I just want to say to that game, "You're so dark. Are you sure you're not from the R-Type universe?"
Knightmare

Post by Knightmare »

Are Sagaia versions 1 and/or 2 easier than Darius II? I was hoping to play through all three on the Cozmic Collection so I could see all the differences for myself but Darius II is owning me really hard.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Darius II is a pretty hateful game. Difficulty-wise I would rank them as Darius II > V2 > V1. So maybe start with V1 and work your way up? I wrote a guide for Darius II a few years back that might help as well, though it desperately needs an update.
Knightmare

Post by Knightmare »

ACSeraph wrote:Darius II is a pretty hateful game. Difficulty-wise I would rank them as Darius II > V2 > V1. So maybe start with V1 and work your way up? I wrote a guide for Darius II a few years back that might help as well, though it desperately needs an update.
Thank you. I did find your guide when I was starting out and it's the reason I was able to get as far into II as I did, but I've hit a wall. I think I'll check out version 1 then 2 for now.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Quick question about the Darius Gaiden Extra Version, in which I'm currently exploring all the routes I skipped in the past. Is Zone T supposed to spawn so many of the tier-6 Captains (the purple fish with the big gatling guns on their heads)? The midpoint of the level seems to go differently every time for me. Sometimes I get two or three Captains, sometimes many more, and some of them seem to disappear after capturing their orbs, leaving only one fin visible. On my last run I managed to survive their onslaught and capture several of them, only for the game to freeze and basically reset (back to the "wait a moment" boot-up screen). The resetting has happened before under different circumstances, and is presumably related to the excessive amount of stuff going on. It's still possible to clear the stage if you choose not to capture them (I'm working on a Z-route 1LC at the moment), but is it supposed to spam Captains at this point? In the original version it appears as zone H and has no Captain at all, and in the 2P all-stages mode it also appears as zone H, following the original game's zone map, so I can't compare these behaviours to anything.

Has anyone else played any routes involving zone T extensively? There doesn't seem to be any footage of it from other players on YT or Nico, nor any discussion of it as a 'known' issue. I figure it could just be an emulation issue, but if so, it's consistent across various older and newer builds of MAME I've tried...

Getting back to matters of Darius Love, what happened to Hidecade's astonishing Mega Drive conversion of Darius? All mention (and footage) of it seems to have been removed.

Edit: you can see what I was talking about at about 15:20 here.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

In case any UK heads are still hoping to play it on a proper cab, I've just learned from a pal that Arcade Club in Bury has DBAC EX!
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

By some miracle Taito had a booth in the main hall at Tokyo game show. In 2019.

And then this happened:

https://youtu.be/d_qMnDghVNc

Feel the love.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

A Skeleton

Post by A Skeleton »

https://store.steampowered.com/app/3778 ... _Saviours/

I've had mild interest in Dariusburst Chronicle Saviors on Steam, but now that I've looked up some gameplay footage, I don't really see what the big deal is. Especially for the 50 bucks they're asking for it.

And I had to mute the Steam trailer. Wtf was that music?
My second video on Steam Shmups
https://youtu.be/SHYu_ETEmJE
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

It's gotten a pretty good amount of discussion around here. Personally, I'm a big fan. For a brief overview of its merits, it's got a unique system where you can leave a bullet-cancelling laser turret anywhere on the screen. That gives you a ton of options for how to approach things both offensively and defensively. There's lots of variety overall. Lots of stages, a big list of heavily-differentiated ships, tons of bosses. Survival-wise it's beginner-friendly and low-stress. Don't know how much depth there is to the scoring system as I'm a survival heretic.

Freedom is a bad track and it's unfortunate that they chose it for the trailer, but it's also a complete outlier. The rest of the soundtrack is solid, and as I recall, Freedom is used once or twice in Chronicle Saviours mode and nowhere else.
A Skeleton

Post by A Skeleton »

Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye on it, but I don't think I wanna pay much more than 10 bucks for it.
My second video on Steam Shmups
https://youtu.be/SHYu_ETEmJE
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

As with most Hori games of this type a trailer won't do it justice (it's not about epileptic bullet spam), you really need to play it to feel it's depth. As the previous poster said the beam system adds huge strategic depth, but not only that, every ship is drastically different in their mechanics and changing the ship alone is like playing an entirely different game. You can play strategically with the bullet canceling beam but a lower power ship, a more traditional higher powered ship with (basically) no cancelling, a ship with a shot type that can be changed at will to cancel specific bullet types. The ship design is among the very very best in the entire genre.

The other thing DBAC has going for it is the sheer amount of content, a seemingly endless parade of courses all with completely different stages and final boss fights. Just from the basic courses you have about ten different clears ranging in difficulty from chill to fuck you. When that's done you have CS mode with another endless sea of courses (best approached with default ships). This one however I will knock slightly for reusing a lot of assets way too often but it's still really enjoyable. Even if this mode didn't exist the game would still be worth $60. And even with that done you have a third mode with the arcade version's Chronicle mode, where there are so many courses and challenges that it's nearly impossible to clear everything alone. This mode was meant to be completed as a community effort in the arcades. tldr: Just based pure on the amount of content DBAC:CS is probably the most substantial STG ever made. I've been playing from back when it was an arcade exclusive and I still haven't cleared everything.

That song is shit though no doubt. Zuntata is quite experimental with their music and I think that song was just an unfortunate failed experiment. The overall soundtrack is among the best in the genre, watch a run of ADH or ORV and then tell me if you think the soundtrack isn't amazing.