andsuchisdeath

Re: Vimana

Post by andsuchisdeath »

1,500,670 - andsuchisdeath - 148%
Imhotep

Post by Imhotep »

828,570 - Imhotep - 84%

I'm using charge shot as my main weapon and normal shot for concentrated fire, just the other way round than usual.
land for man to live, sea for machine to function.
pieslice

Post by pieslice »

I just casually played some credits and surprisingly I made some progress.. Managed to kill the magnet boss thing but I lost focus briefly after that.

418,510 - pieslice - 52%
KoopaTGR

Post by KoopaTGR »

1,372,540 - KoopaTGR - 134%
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

12,138,290 - Perikles - 808%

Loop 8

Would've preferred to get an advanced loop without a death, but that'll do. Killed myself after that loop, had roughly 40 lives in stock at that point. :lol: And I didn't even intend to get a marathon run, I merely wanted to try the game out with music this time, then that happened. Oh well.

Does anyone know why the bonus value resets sometimes in the third stage for no apparent reason at all? It didn't happen in the last few loops for me, but it did occur early on. Not that it especially matters since you can just play the game longer with ease... I played the Japanese ROM set in case it matters, don't know about differences, not going to find out myself, either!
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

I'm also wondering that. I always thought I just missed an item, but maybe it's a bug of some sort.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

6,386,830 - Square_Air - 476%

Accidentally autofired my name in. That 10 million is a little tempting to go for since this game is so easy.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

14,085,200 - Square_Air - 902%

After 9 loops cleared I decided to call it quits. I guess I could always try for a counterstop, but I'd rather spend my time elsewhere. This was also the Japanese version if that matters at all.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
ave

Post by ave »

Does anyone know how you can make the extra life appear (item), or is it completely random? I had a run through the first loop without any extra life appearing, and in another run it just came out of an item box at the very beginning of the game... seems pretty odd.

Also, are there any typical Toaplan secrets or is this game too early for such goodies?
THE ETERNAL
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

ave wrote:Does anyone know how you can make the extra life appear (item), or is it completely random? I had a run through the first loop without any extra life appearing, and in another run it just came out of an item box at the very beginning of the game... seems pretty odd.

Also, are there any typical Toaplan secrets or is this game too early for such goodies?
I played this game during a 24 hour period, so my memory is already hazy. This game gives out lives like a mall vendor gives out samples of Dead Sea lotion, but I can't seem to recall any early extends that don't come from scoring. Toaplan snuck in secrets as early as Slap Fight, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was something slid into this as well.

Also, I think it would be worth noting autofire in the table since this game pretty significantly benefits from it.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
ave

Post by ave »

Unfortunately I autofire-d my name in... but this is my score:

7,001,190 - AVE - 548%

I lost my bonus chain in almost every loop.... and also, I finally figured out why it usually happens in the water stage: The enemies that shoot the long straight shots are always releasing a bonus item and they are also extremely easy to be killed. One of the first of them appears when there are almost no enemies on the screen, allowing the shot to kill it almost instantly - and the bonus item doesn't appear in this situation, so I assume it is likely released off-screen and immediately "lost", hence the combo break.

This run took me almost 2.5 hours and towards the end I was really happy that it was over... No wonder I have never seen this in Japanese arcades. If you put in no autofire, nobody will play it - if you do, some otaku will play 12 hours at a time.
THE ETERNAL
Bloody

Post by Bloody »

5,541,840 - BLO - 399%

maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

3,439,940 - maximo - 260%

Tried playing this before w/o autofire; switch to autofire + bomb-spam makes it a cake-walk. Probably could've done more loops if I had not lost a bunch of lives on the water stage in subsequent loops. Otherwise, this game is pretty unremarkable compared to other Toaplan titles ;-;
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

619,000 - M.Knight - 67%

Played it without rapid fire, and I like how you use charge shot for waves of zakos and the focused shots for bigger enemies. That mechanic alone more or less makes up for the relatively slow pace and level-design. I just checked some of the other comments had no idea you could use super fast rapid fire and wreck everything forever. :lol:
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

5,007,990 - maximo - 417%

Very surprised this run went as far as it did since I lost a bunch of excess lives in loop 4. Somehow got past the final boss on my last life, and limped on to 5-2. I kinda get how the third stage can reset the chain, but i got unlucky in the first couple of loops w/ it. No clue what causes the 1up item to show up; popped up twice in my run.

Not sure if I'll try any further, this run was almost 2hrs already.
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

18,068,620 - SFKhoa - 1099%
I never want to play this game again.
Images (+ Chronicle of tweets) here!
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

What a monster.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

SFKhoa wrote:18,068,620 - SFKhoa - 1099%
I never want to play this game again.
Images (+ Chronicle of tweets) here!
Hot dog, there's a sizable score. Looks like I've got some work to do.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

22,714,630 - Square_Air - 1399%

I was ready to answer to a challenger after I threw down the gauntlet a few months ago, yet I'm also unfortunately a tiny bit disappointed with this run. I figured out how to consistently keep a chain through the water area by tapering shots so the large ships don't release any bonuses off screen, and besides a dumb error on my part that caused me to drop it in loop 1, I manged to keep my chain for 13 loops until my death. Also, the bonus extends seem to be fairly random, although at a relatively regular pace.

I really feel like I could have broke 25 or 30 million, but unsurprisingly the thing that held me back was the brutal fatigue. loops 2 through 8 were solid, but at about loop 9 I started to crumble. Loop 14 was full of so many exhausted chain deaths that I just listlessly watched happen, you would think I've never seen a shmup in my entire life. I believe most Toaplan games max out rank within the first handful of loops, but I was so tired that it felt like the last boss was getting faster with every single loop. :roll:

Thanks for giving me a reason to torture myself, SFKhoa! :lol:
If I ever come back to this game, I'm going to have to play in the morning and dedicate almost an entire day to a single run. Oh boy.

My deepest sympathies to the next person who decides to snatch first place.
Last edited by Square_Air on Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

940,500 - M.Knight - 88%

The number of loops you guys are undergoing is insane. :shock:
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

1,787,080 - M.Knight - 160% - No rapid

As the previous score, this was played on an actual PCB, at Coin-Op Table in Paris.
Thanks to their recording set-up, there's also a replay. It is here, in two parts :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1pLU-iwp5I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eueCKzUlQYA
Flobeamer1922

Post by Flobeamer1922 »

4,387,850 - Flobeamer1922 - 308%
I will try for 10 million points at a later time.
Flobeamer1922

Post by Flobeamer1922 »

4,666,500 - Flobeamer1922 - 348%
Would've cleared four loops if I didn't have a total meltdown halfway through the third loop.
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

22,163,880 - SFKhoa - 1399%
Image here!

I had achieved this score months ago but didn't bother uploading it at the time because I was mildly bitter over how I wasted 8 hours and not beat Square Air lmao
It's still a PB nonetheless so that's a silver lining.
Prales

Post by Prales »

Last edited by Prales on Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Flobeamer1922

Post by Flobeamer1922 »

6,003,370 - Flobeamer1922 - 420%
Finally got the 4-ALL. 10m will come later.
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

76,588,950 - SFKhoa - 4646%

Never again.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Flobeamer1922

Post by Flobeamer1922 »

You absolute madman. That said, incredible score!
Now time for Square to fire back. Kappa