WiiDual / GCVideo discussion

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
fernan1234

Re: WiiDual / GCVideo discussion

Post by fernan1234 »

Thanks for all the info. I guess I'll go ahead with the install at this time, and hopefully won't encounter this bug too often.
johnwoods

Post by johnwoods »

citrus3000psi wrote:There are no clipping issues with the wiidual. There is some clipping/crush problems with the gcdual. I have a firmware update that takes care of the problem. I’ve yet to release as i don’t want to stir up commotion before 2.5 gets released. But I can send it to anybody that wants it.
Hi citrus3000,

I recently had Video Game Perfection install the WiiDual in my Wii and waiting to get it back to check it out so I can't wait. It's amazing that such projects exist.

I just watched your YouTube video on how to do the firmware update on the GC version and wanted to know if it's the exact same flashing procedure for the WiiDual? I'm hoping mine came with 2.4c firmware already installed but just in case it didn't, or there are any important fixes with 2.5, I'd like to be sure updating the firmware won't be too much of a challenge. Do you plan to make a similar video for the complete firmware flashing process for the Wii as well?

Thanks,
John
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

I was late to the party on WiiDual, but I want to buy one. VGP and OP are sold out of orders/pre-order. any idea where to buy, or time estimate on restock?

thanks,
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Both myself and my friend in Greece who does the installs are having to sort some things right now related to moving etc, but I expect to be able to offer them again next week.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Is the remaining chroma shift bug visible on 480p CRTs? And is there any chance it can be resolved in the future without using Swiss?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

andykara2003 wrote:Is the remaining chroma shift bug visible on 480p CRTs? And is there any chance it can be resolved in the future without using Swiss?
It's still visible on any output resolutions on CRTs. But remember that it only appears in certain input resolutions (like the resolution of the system menu, so you'll see it right away). All homebrew and Wii VC/WiiWare I've tested is not affected. Very few GC games are affected (I think Extrems listed them on the GCVideo topic). No idea how many Wii games are affected, and for this there's no Swiss-like solution, so a firmware upgrade for the custom GCVideo used on the WiiDual will be necessary.

It's kinda funny that this slipped by in Retrorgb's review of the WiiDual. It was obvious both on the system menu and the New Super Mario Bros. game Bob showed, but people thought it was a capture issue (some of it was). I kinda recall him saying he's color blind, so maybe that's why he didn't notice it.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

fernan1234 wrote:It's still visible on any output resolutions on CRTs.
Thanks very much for that, much appreciated. I’m a little out of touch - could this be something that might not even be possible to fix with a firmware update, or even require a hardware adjustment?
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Is this chroma shift bug on the Wii the same issue that Extrems just discovered and fixed?
Extrems wrote:Here's a before/after:

Not64 was updated. Set "VideoWidth = 0" for pixel perfect.
An update for Enhanced mGBA is in the works.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

andykara2003 wrote:Thanks very much for that, much appreciated. I’m a little out of touch - could this be something that might not even be possible to fix with a firmware update, or even require a hardware adjustment?
It should be fixed with a firmware update. AFAIK, Unseen has not said yet if this fix will be included in the upcoming GCVideo 2.5 firmware, however.
GeneraLight wrote:Is this chroma shift bug on the Wii the same issue that Extrems just discovered and fixed?
No, that's an issue with 480p output on the original Wii's video handling. The chroma shift is an issue in the GCVideo software.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

GeneraLight wrote:Is this chroma shift bug on the Wii the same issue that Extrems just discovered and fixed?
Does this look like chroma to you? It's a luma-only bandwidth test.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Appreciate your work Extrems.
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

fernan1234 wrote:
andykara2003 wrote:Is the remaining chroma shift bug visible on 480p CRTs? And is there any chance it can be resolved in the future without using Swiss?
It's still visible on any output resolutions on CRTs. But remember that it only appears in certain input resolutions (like the resolution of the system menu, so you'll see it right away). All homebrew and Wii VC/WiiWare I've tested is not affected. Very few GC games are affected (I think Extrems listed them on the GCVideo topic). No idea how many Wii games are affected, and for this there's no Swiss-like solution, so a firmware upgrade for the custom GCVideo used on the WiiDual will be necessary.

It's kinda funny that this slipped by in Retrorgb's review of the WiiDual. It was obvious both on the system menu and the New Super Mario Bros. game Bob showed, but people thought it was a capture issue (some of it was). I kinda recall him saying he's color blind, so maybe that's why he didn't notice it.
I think he said after posting the YouTube video that the captures in that video review weren't up to his usual high standards, so I think there were problems with them (can't remember what they were right now).
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Today I hooked a Retro-Access WiiDual Scart cable that I just got on my WiiDual Wii, and holy hell does it make a big difference, very impressed, my setup is basically Wii modded with WiiDual + OSSC + Extron DSC 301 HD, to have a result that goes 480p>960p>1080p, originally I used other cables to connect the Wii (the official Nintendo Wii component cable being one of them) to the OSSC since at the time Retro-Access hadn't been released a cable for the WiiDual yet, however I finally decided to take the plunge and boy I don't regret it, it makes the picture much better than any of the other cables I used so far and really makes the official Nintendo component cables look bad in comparison. I highely recommend to upgrade to the WiiDual cables from Retro-Access if you have a have a WiiDual or if you plan on getting one, really gives a boost to the picture quality.
Last edited by Lawfer on Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Thanks for the tip - are they going to do a VGA cable - I can't see one on the site.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

andykara2003 wrote:Thanks for the tip - are they going to do a VGA cable - I can't see one on the site.
No there aren't any on the site that I can see, but you can send them a PM and ask them, I was also hoping to get a BNC Dreamcast cable from them too but doesn't seem like they have any on site yet.

On the WiiDual you can choose the following analog outputs:

"YUV", "RGB", "RGsB" and "dYUV".

YUV is YPbPr meaning the same colorspace that is used by the official Wii Component cables.

RGB is RGBs meaning RGB CSYNC, probably covers RGBHV too? Though haven't tested it since I am don't have a VGA cable for Wii and not planning on using any RGBHV as of right now.

RGsB, meaning RGB with sync on green, RGsB is also used by the PS2 in 480p mode (in 240p and 480i mode it uses RGBs), though apparently not all displays support sync on green.

dYUV I actually never heard of this before, but from what I found online it stands for "delta-YUV", more info: "An efficient color-coding scheme for natural pictures used in CD-i. The human eye is less sensitive to color variations than to intensity variations, so DYUV encodes luminance (Y) information at full bandwidth and chrominance (UV) information at half bandwidth or less, storing only the differences (deltas) between each value and the one following it."

Right now I am using "RGB".
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Thanks very much for that - I have a Crescendo component to VGA so I'll just use YUV & transcode it.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

andykara2003 wrote:Thanks for the tip - are they going to do a VGA cable - I can't see one on the site.
Actually I think it's possible to request one maybe, go here:

https://retro-access.com/collections/cu ... -builder-5

You need to specify in the Pinout Notes "WiiDual", but what else do you need exactly? RGBS or RGHV? Do you need some kind of audio output from it? There's many choices you can make in their custom order build.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Lawfer wrote:dYUV I actually never heard of this before, but from what I found online it stands for "delta-YUV"
That's not what it is. It's a direct mode that bypasses blanking regeneration, so you can use video modes GCVideo-DVI has no knowledge of.

Not64 and Enhanced mGBA are native Wii applications that can generate such video modes.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Extrems wrote:
Lawfer wrote:dYUV I actually never heard of this before, but from what I found online it stands for "delta-YUV"
That's not what it is. It's a direct mode that bypasses blanking regeneration, so you can use video modes GCVideo-DVI has no knowledge of.

Not64 and Enhanced mGBA are native Wii applications that can generate such video modes.
I see, thank you for the rectification, there wasn't alot of result online about "dYUV" that pertained to GCVideo.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

That's because it's specific to citrus3000psi's branch. I wish EON would document it though...
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Lawfer wrote:You need to specify in the Pinout Notes "WiiDual", but what else do you need exactly? RGBS or RGHV? Do you need some kind of audio output from it? There's many choices you can make in their custom order build.
I hadn't seen that, thanks! I just need analogue audio. I have an NEC XV29+ which inputs via VGA. I was tempted to go with a direct VGA cable as it removes the transcoder from the signal path. The Crescendo RTC2200 is so good that I don't really know if there would be a visible difference - am I right in saying that the proposed Wiidual VGA cable should present a detectable improvement over Wiidual component + Crescendo? I think that might only be answerable with a direct comparison..
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Keep in mind you can build a wii dual vga cable RGBS or RGBHV depending on your install and board revision.
Drunk_Caterpillar

Post by Drunk_Caterpillar »

Sounds like there’s a new firmware coming for the WiiDual (v2.4c.1) which should improve video output! Wondering what else is even on the roadmap for the WiiDual; I feel like the issues that the 2.4c.1 addresses were meant for 2.5 but maybe I’ve just missed them in this thread. Regardless, looking forward to getting my Round 3 WiiDual. :)
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Drunk_Caterpillar wrote:Sounds like there’s a new firmware coming for the WiiDual (v2.4c.1) which should improve video output! Wondering what else is even on the roadmap for the WiiDual; I feel like the issues that the 2.4c.1 addresses were meant for 2.5 but maybe I’ve just missed them in this thread. Regardless, looking forward to getting my Round 3 WiiDual. :)
It's version 2.4d, it's mentioned here:

https://github.com/ikorb/gcvideo/blob/master/NEWS

"2019-05-31: GCVideo-DVI version 2.4d
- fix incorrect chroma mixing for Cr-first lines"

I'd be interested to see how this "incorrect chroma mixing" affects the picture?
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

I had no idea 2.4d was released. So this is a coincidence. I do have the option to remove pixel averageing.

Wish I knew 2.4d was going to be released otherwise wouldn’t had spent the time. I’ve just been hearing about 2.5 with no eta.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

citrus3000psi wrote:I had no idea 2.4d was released. So this is a coincidence. I do have the option to remove pixel averageing.

Wish I knew 2.4d was going to be released otherwise wouldn’t had spent the time. I’ve just been hearing about 2.5 with no eta.
How does this fix affect the picture, compared to earlier version of GCVideo?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Did the new WiiDual firmware and/or the new GCVideo firmware fix this?

Last edited by fernan1234 on Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

I'm currently waiting on my wiidual kit. What's the easiest way to update the firmware?
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

citrus3000psi wrote:I had no idea 2.4d was released. So this is a coincidence.
Someone asked nicely for a fix, so I backported what I had and slapped the 2.4d label on it.
I do have the option to remove pixel averageing.
How do you compensate for the half-pixel chroma shift caused by that?
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

vol.2 wrote:I'm currently waiting on my wiidual kit. What's the easiest way to update the firmware?
There's only way one that I seen citrus mention and it's not easy...

https://twitter.com/citrus3000psi/statu ... 7699394560