R-Type Final2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
xxx1993

Re: R-Type Final2

Post by xxx1993 »

I feel like there should have been a physical version for America and Europe when it was released in 2015.
oso

Post by oso »

xxx1993 wrote:I feel like there should have been a physical version for America and Europe when it was released in 2015.
Logistics and manufacturing is expensive, game stores are fewer than ever and the shoot 'em up genre is still pretty niche—especially outside Japan. Not surprised at all that it was digital only in the west. I still think it's a shame, of course, but it's understandable.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Not even the most popular of the shmups can get physical?
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Darius has a history of not doing so well outside of Japan.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Strider77 wrote:My guess on Switchildren.

Those who spam "is this coming to Switch" and "I hope this gets a port on Switch" over and over.... where if they had taken a second to look they would have found those questions have already been spammed 50 or more times already.
This. All day, this.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

The Coop wrote:Here's hoping for a Steam release. As much as I'd like more R-Type, I'm not buying a new system to play it.

So, I guess it's Steam or bust.
Pretty much every Japanese 3rd party PS4 game comes to PC eventually.
PooshhMao

Post by PooshhMao »

I cannot believe I learned about this only just now.

I also dread the lack of confirmation about the game being on anything else but the PS4.

That said, this has the potential to be absolutely incredible. Just imagine DariusBurst's Chronicles mode combined with R-Type Final's ship selection with HD graphics. Calling this a wet dream doesn't even begin to do it justice.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Should R-Type be rated T or M? Because I'm honestly surprised a game like R-Type Delta got away with an E rating. Stage 6 in that game reminded me of the movie Event Horizon.
oso

Post by oso »

xxx1993 wrote:Should R-Type be rated T or M? Because I'm honestly surprised a game like R-Type Delta got away with an E rating. Stage 6 in that game reminded me of the movie Event Horizon.
If it's anything like Final, realistically it'd be M. Then again the ratings board won't make it to the final stages so I'm guessing T. :lol:
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

That's really the big question, if they'd be willing to try that again. Since they specifically called it "Final2", it's a possibility.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Either way, though, R-Type has always struck me as the “Dead Space” of shmups.
PooshhMao

Post by PooshhMao »

Not to mention the final stage of Final, that somewhat vaguely hinted the entire game is a metaphor for impregnation.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

The genre itself is a metaphor.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Deadliar

Post by Deadliar »

PooshhMao wrote:Not to mention the final stage of Final, that somewhat vaguely hinted the entire game is a metaphor for impregnation.
A tad too literal :lol: . More about creating life and what exactly that entails.
Play for fun and win when you can.
oso

Post by oso »

Deadliar wrote:
PooshhMao wrote:Not to mention the final stage of Final, that somewhat vaguely hinted the entire game is a metaphor for impregnation.
A tad too literal :lol: . More about creating life and what exactly that entails.
I always took it as a weird pointer toward the fact humans created Bydo. Especially since the music track for that stage is called "Bydo is...". It's continuously implied in the game that Bydo were created from human DNA.
Deadliar

Post by Deadliar »

oso

Post by oso »

Deadliar wrote:More than implied.
"Ironically its gene structure is very similar to that of a human being." is pretty much implying. Heavily implying, but still not confirming. Bonus info: in R-Type Final, the stage 2.2 quote is "The DNA of a Bydo has the same double helix structure of a Human".
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'm glad we got this chance to discuss R-Type lore.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

oso wrote:
"Ironically its gene structure is very similar to that of a human being." is pretty much implying. Heavily implying, but still not confirming. Bonus info: in R-Type Final, the stage 2.2 quote is "The DNA of a Bydo has the same double helix structure of a Human".
I think he was referring to the bell-end shaped crab-creature.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
oso

Post by oso »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:
oso wrote:
I think he was referring to the bell-end shaped crab-creature.
Oh, yeah. Cocks everywhere in R-Type.
PooshhMao

Post by PooshhMao »

All this talk about R-Type prompted me to dig up my old *Final* savegame again, with all 101 ships unlocked.

Yes, the graphics have that bland PS2 look to them and the soundtrack is forgettable at best, but it's still a fantastic shmup, imo.

How do you configure your ultimate R series fighter? I'm gonna go ahead and assume you pick the GigaWave cannon.
tizerist

Post by tizerist »

BulletMagnet wrote:That website honestly makes it sound more like an "enhanced remake" of RTF than an honest-to-goodness sequel/new series entry, but who knows if something got lost in translation there (or I'm just misinterpreting it). The crowdfunding angle makes me additionally nervous, but I guess one way or another we'll see how this turns out.
Yep same here. I'm worried that this won't be a bonafide new game reading between the lines.

"The stages are rebuilt from scratch for the new game. As this is going to be the first R-Type game since 16:9 displays have become the standard, the screen structure will be reviewed to improve the playability and make the side scrolling shooter game more exciting and enjoyable. In addition, the stages that appeared in the earlier work will come back with new expressions and interpretations"

Also, I hope the music in the game is better than in the trailer.
Last edited by tizerist on Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I took the latter part there to imply that stages from older games may be reinterpreted or recontextualised in Final 2, as, for example, some of R-Type's stages were in Delta.
tizerist

Post by tizerist »

I suspect "the earlier work" refers to RTF1, not the older games.
I dunno, any Oriental language translated to English is always hazardous.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Well, I'll be damned.

They should have changed the title from Final 2 to something else. It's sort of sounds like a gag.

I hated R-Type Final, but that was a long time ago, and I love most of the other R-Type games. Delta was great. I'll definitely give it a look.
I just hope they don't forget about level design this time around. I looked up the designer, and he only worked on R-Type Final and not the other, older ones. So, this makes me a bit "let's wait and see".
Nate

Post by Nate »

Excuse me, I've watched the teaser several times; why does the player ship look like it's moving like a boat in the water? Or some kind of dumb slippy inertialized character on a cell phone game? Why?
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

^My guess is because it's hand animated, not actual gameplay. The sudden camera shift looks way out of place too.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Because it's really In The Hunt Final
Deadliar

Post by Deadliar »

Sumez wrote:Because it's really In The Hunt Final
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*