gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
superg

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by superg »

coderkind wrote:@superg; one thing I've noticed with the "Sega Master System correction" DIP switch setting; it seemingly shifts the picture to the left to a degree; you can see it near the end of the video I posted earlier with a blank gap down the right side of the picture: https://youtu.be/wSfbb3g81FQ

I've checked the DIP switch against a console that doesn't have problem sync (GameCube via component cables), and it shifts the picture to a similar degree.

Is this as-intended?
Yes, SMS correction is implemented as a subset of sync regeneration. The shift would be the same as the DIP1.
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

superg wrote:
coderkind wrote:@superg; one thing I've noticed with the "Sega Master System correction" DIP switch setting; it seemingly shifts the picture to the left to a degree; you can see it near the end of the video I posted earlier with a blank gap down the right side of the picture: https://youtu.be/wSfbb3g81FQ

I've checked the DIP switch against a console that doesn't have problem sync (GameCube via component cables), and it shifts the picture to a similar degree.

Is this as-intended?
Yes, SMS correction is implemented as a subset of sync regeneration. The shift would be the same as the DIP1.
Is the issue with Sega Master Systems that the pictures render too far to the right or something (and this option compensates for that)? Sorry; I know it's labelled specifically as a Master System feature, but it's almost sorted out the PC Engine issue I was having (aside from the now shifted image).
superg

Post by superg »

coderkind wrote:
superg wrote:

Is this as-intended?
Is the issue with Sega Master Systems that the pictures render too far to the right or something (and this option compensates for that)? Sorry; I know it's labelled specifically as a Master System feature, but it's almost sorted out the PC Engine issue I was having (aside from the now shifted image).
No, SMS issue is an error in a vertical sync block. I haven't seen PC Engine on the scope so I can't tell whether it's the same issue or not. More details about SMS are here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=57929, search for my replies there, that is quite technical though.
Redneck retro gamer

Post by Redneck retro gamer »

I placed my order around the beginning of March. Do you have an estimate of when that batch should be assembled and shipped? Thanks in advance for your reply and sorry if this is a bother for you.
Lux

Post by Lux »

I got another PAL Mega Drive 1 out of curiosity and experienced problems with it (gscartsw > OSSC > TV), so it looks like it's kind of hit-or-miss, or I'm out of luck. I tried using sync regeneration but I'm not sure I'm doing it correctly, should I use it before starting the console, or when the sync drops ? Thinking about ditching SCART altogether with this console if component cables (since they exist now) can solve my problem.
superg

Post by superg »

Lux wrote:I got another PAL Mega Drive 1 out of curiosity and experienced problems with it (gscartsw > OSSC > TV), so it looks like it's kind of hit-or-miss, or I'm out of luck. I tried using sync regeneration but I'm not sure I'm doing it correctly, should I use it before starting the console, or when the sync drops ? Thinking about ditching SCART altogether with this console if component cables (since they exist now) can solve my problem.
Sync regeneration effect is instant. Maybe it's your console cable or your OSSC settings? Or even cable going from the switch to OSSC. If LED doesn't blink when it happens it means that gscartsw doesn't drop the signal.
Redneck retro gamer

Post by Redneck retro gamer »

I paid for my scart switcher and I see it was pooled from my bank but I don't have anything from PayPal or anything showing it.
Sora24

Post by Sora24 »

I received my gscartsw a few weeks ago. I have it implemented in my setup and couldn't be happier. It's exactly as advertised, thanks superg! -RetroMorgan89
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

I just got around to hooking up my new gscartsw this weekend and couldn't be happier as well. This thing is awesome.
Now I just can't wait for my second one to show up :D
superg

Post by superg »

Redneck retro gamer wrote:I paid for my scart switcher and I see it was pooled from my bank but I don't have anything from PayPal or anything showing it.
If you have a paypal transaction, you're good to go. I only use paypal for order management.
Numsay

Post by Numsay »

superg wrote:Guys, I have two used gscartsw_lite v1.5 units for sale, $140 + shipping $17 USA, $23 Canada and $30 International. Those are from my setup and I am upgrading to the newest v5.2 version! :). Includes new power supply.
PM me if you're interested.

EDIT: 1 unit gone, 1 to go.

I'll grab that last one from you. I had to register just now to try and contact you but the PM function does not seem to be available to me yet. Anyway if you want to try to PM me when can work out the details. Thanks.
vraskin

Post by vraskin »

Hey superg! I posted a question but it didn't go through for almost a week while it was getting approved by mods and got lost in all the new posts. Could you take a look please:

"Hey superg - just got my gscartsw recently and it works great! I am, however, having a problem connecting it to my Extron 203 RXI, which results in sync issues. I've already ordered a Sync Strike, but was wondering if maybe there was some magical combination of dip switch settings between the Extron and gscartsw that would do the trick so I don't have to wait 2 weeks just to realize it was something minor I could have fixed on my own. I'm using a standard male SCART to male VGA cable to connect the switch to the Extron and male-male 4 BNC cable to connect the Extron to to the monitor (which is a PVM 20L5).

Appreciate any help!"
superg

Post by superg »

vraskin wrote:Hey superg! I posted a question but it didn't go through for almost a week while it was getting approved by mods and got lost in all the new posts. Could you take a look please:

"Hey superg - just got my gscartsw recently and it works great! I am, however, having a problem connecting it to my Extron 203 RXI, which results in sync issues. I've already ordered a Sync Strike, but was wondering if maybe there was some magical combination of dip switch settings between the Extron and gscartsw that would do the trick so I don't have to wait 2 weeks just to realize it was something minor I could have fixed on my own. I'm using a standard male SCART to male VGA cable to connect the switch to the Extron and male-male 4 BNC cable to connect the Extron to to the monitor (which is a PVM 20L5).

Appreciate any help!"
Why do you need an Extron in your chain? The easy way is to get SCART to BNC cable and straight to your PVM. I don't use Extron devices here nor compatibility is guaranteed. Once case where Extron was useful was sync on green but new gscartsw already resolves that.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

superg wrote:
vraskin wrote:Hey superg! I posted a question but it didn't go through for almost a week while it was getting approved by mods and got lost in all the new posts. Could you take a look please:

Appreciate any help!"
Why do you need an Extron in your chain? The easy way is to get SCART to BNC cable and straight to your PVM. I don't use Extron devices here nor compatibility is guaranteed. Once case where Extron was useful was sync on green but new gscartsw already resolves that.
I use an Exton 203 to correct the RGB signal from the Dreamcast Toro box. Without the Exton 203 the top of the picture rolls to one side on my BVM-D32.

The new gscartsw works fine with my Exton crosspoint ultra and my Exton 203.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
vraskin

Post by vraskin »

superg wrote:

Appreciate any help!"
I have an annoying issue where each console seems to have it's own screen size and "center" for the image. So for example if I set the screen position to fit the PS2 and then turn on another console, there are going to be black bars and/ or parts of the screen cut off. I was going to find an average value for the screen size that more or less works for all consoles and use the Extron centering controls to easily adjust the screen position from console to console instead of having to go into the service menu every time. Previous posts on this thread seem to indicate that a Sync Strike would solve the problem. Alternatively if anyone has advice for dealing this this in some other way that would work too.

Thanks!
superg

Post by superg »

vraskin wrote: I have an annoying issue where each console seems to have it's own screen size and "center" for the image. So for example if I set the screen position to fit the PS2 and then turn on another console, there are going to be black bars and/ or parts of the screen cut off. I was going to find an average value for the screen size that more or less works for all consoles and use the Extron centering controls to easily adjust the screen position from console to console instead of having to go into the service menu every time. Previous posts on this thread seem to indicate that a Sync Strike would solve the problem. Alternatively if anyone has advice for dealing this this in some other way that would work too.

Thanks!
Are there specific consoles where you experience different shift comparing to others? Or is it all messed up?
Well, maybe somebody who has similar use case can contribute. Going to service menu every time is annoying.
vraskin

Post by vraskin »

superg wrote:
vraskin wrote: I have an annoying issue where each console seems to have it's own screen size and "center" for the image. So for example if I set the screen position to fit the PS2 and then turn on another console, there are going to be black bars and/ or parts of the screen cut off. I was going to find an average value for the screen size that more or less works for all consoles and use the Extron centering controls to easily adjust the screen position from console to console instead of having to go into the service menu every time. Previous posts on this thread seem to indicate that a Sync Strike would solve the problem. Alternatively if anyone has advice for dealing this this in some other way that would work too.

Thanks!
Are there specific consoles where you experience different shift comparing to others? Or is it all messed up?
Well, maybe somebody who has similar use case can contribute. Going to service menu every time is annoying.
It's kind of all over the place to be honest, but the biggest changes seem to fall along the 240p/ 480i/ 480p lines. The NES in particular for some reason seems to differ from game to game. To be clear, this is an issue without the gscartsw as well.

Unfortunately the PVM 20L5 does not have presets, but I suppose I could get creative with the overscan/ underscan button and the two inputs I have available to me to set several different average values. I've found several posts about issues with black bars between consoles and the advice seems to be to find an average value and use an Extron to control the screen position. I was going to try that out before digging further to see if maybe there is something wrong with my specific monitor or if it's just something people deal with. If anyone has dealt with this before, I'd appreciate any input!
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

the Goat wrote:
superg wrote:

Appreciate any help!"
I use an Exton 203 to correct the RGB signal from the Dreamcast Toro box. Without the Exton 203 the top of the picture rolls to one side on my BVM-D32.

The new gscartsw works fine with my Exton crosspoint ultra and my Exton 203.
@superg, I also have the same issue with my Dreamcast Toro box requring SERR correction from an Extron RGB Rxi box when outputting 480p to my BVD-D monitor. Do you think that the Sega Master System mode could be modified at some point (likely in a future gscartsw) to also work with 480p so that it could correct the issues with the Beharbros Toro & Garo?
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

Speedy wrote: @superg, I also have the same issue with my Dreamcast Toro box requring SERR correction from an Extron RGB Rxi box when outputting 480p to my BVD-D monitor. Do you think that the Sega Master System mode could be modified at some point (likely in a future gscartsw) to also work with 480p so that it could correct the issues with the Beharbros Toro & Garo?
Yea, superg, if you are looking for another feature to add to the gscartsw, correcting the scart signal from the Dreamcast Toro box would be great. Also enabling/disabling options per input would be a welcome improvement.
-the Goat
superg

Post by superg »

Speedy wrote: @superg, I also have the same issue with my Dreamcast Toro box requring SERR correction from an Extron RGB Rxi box when outputting 480p to my BVD-D monitor. Do you think that the Sega Master System mode could be modified at some point (likely in a future gscartsw) to also work with 480p so that it could correct the issues with the Beharbros Toro & Garo?
I don't want to work on that. Toro has to be fixed. Or wait until hdretrovision release a proper solution for dreamcast with fixed aspect / bitrate.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

vraskin wrote:It's kind of all over the place to be honest, but the biggest changes seem to fall along the 240p/ 480i/ 480p lines. The NES in particular for some reason seems to differ from game to game. To be clear, this is an issue without the gscartsw as well.

Unfortunately the PVM 20L5 does not have presets, but I suppose I could get creative with the overscan/ underscan button and the two inputs I have available to me to set several different average values. I've found several posts about issues with black bars between consoles and the advice seems to be to find an average value and use an Extron to control the screen position. I was going to try that out before digging further to see if maybe there is something wrong with my specific monitor or if it's just something people deal with. If anyone has dealt with this before, I'd appreciate any input!
Does this only happen with your PVM? I used to experience this with BVM/PVM's using the gscartsw (first or second gen) it was so frustrating, all the consoles had different centering, sometimes way off to the right sometimes to the left. I found using a direct connection to a Scart to Component transcoder on a consumer crt that although the image center was moved to the right for all systems, there was much more consistency between consoles allowing me to center it once for Scart (but Component would require changing back, or changing the center within the consoles, which is possible on some such as the Gamecube and Wii).

Why would different Nes games affect centering though? That's really puzzling to me.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

superg wrote:
I don't want to work on that. Toro has to be fixed. Or wait until hdretrovision release a proper solution for dreamcast with fixed aspect / bitrate.
It's actually nice and refreshing to hear someone with your experience say this. I feel like too many people ignore serious problems in beharbros products.
vraskin

Post by vraskin »

Taiyaki wrote: Does this only happen with your PVM? I used to experience this with BVM/PVM's using the gscartsw (first or second gen) it was so frustrating, all the consoles had different centering, sometimes way off to the right sometimes to the left. I found using a direct connection to a Scart to Component transcoder on a consumer crt that although the image center was moved to the right for all systems, there was much more consistency between consoles allowing me to center it once for Scart (but Component would require changing back, or changing the center within the consoles, which is possible on some such as the Gamecube and Wii).
Unfortunately I got rid of my consumer set for space reasons when I got the PVM so I can't compare, but if the same thing was happening it was minor enough that I never noticed. Did you ever find a solution for BVM/ PVM? Thanks for mentioning the centering settings in the consoles - I hadn't considered that. Should make it easier to standardize everything. The annoying thing about all this is I can't figure out if this is something specific to my setup or if it's something people just deal with. I jut have a standard Console -> SCART -> gscartsw -> SCART-to-BNC -> PVM setup, so short of something being up with the monitor not sure what could be causing this.
Taiyaki wrote: Why would different Nes games affect centering though? That's really puzzling to me.
Actually, I'm not sure the NES changes centering between games, but it definitely has different screen sizes. For example if I set the screen to match perfectly for Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania is overscanned. 480i and 480p games definitely do have way different centering on the same consoles though. For example, here are the values I have written down for the Gamecube (Dreamcast has a similar difference):

GameCube 480i
H: Size 86, Center 119
V: Size 32, Center 166

GameCube 480p
H: Size 66, Center 95
V: Size 35, Center 170

GameCube Game Boy Player
H: Size 86, Center 119
V: Size 57, Center 166
morfeo

Post by morfeo »

Hello!

I just want to start out by saying one again how grateful I am for your products Superg, I now own two of your gscart switches, which is simply an amazing product.

I do however, have two small problems. First is with my PC Engine, I guess this is the same problem that many people have reported, however, it always worked by setting it to input 1 on the old gscart. This however, does not work on the new gscart, no matter what I do, i only get sound from it. Of course, this can be solved by connecting it to the old gscart on input 1, but i would kinda want the flexibility of being able to switch it between the two. Any solutions to this particular problem? Is there a similar "input 1"-solution with the new gscart?

Second is with my supergun. I know a ton of those arent supported, but this is a regular retroelectronik one, which even advertises that it works with the gscart. Any tips on what i could try here? Once again, i get sound, just not picture, even though something is cleary going on as the picture "jumps" seemingly in and out and it looks like it almost gets it.

Would be grateful for any tips on things to try out!
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Appreciate any help!"
An alternative to the Sync Strike is to use a SCART to D-Sub cable with a built in sync stripper. You can get such a custom cable from Retro Access. I just ordered one since I'm having the same issues with the gscartsw lite that I just received from Superg (BTW, thanks!).

There's good reasons for using an Rxi Extron unit in combination with a gscartsw or any other switch, besides centering options and compatibility with certain devices, as already mentioned. In my case I enjoy its SoG output, as well as its ability to work as an auto switcher for other VGA sources such as an HDMI to VGA adapter, and a Raspberry Pi that outputs RGB through VGA. I'm sure there are other use cases for other people too. A future design (or perhaps a firmware update that replaces one of the dip switch functions, or the sync regeneration switch on the lite :wink: ) that incorporates sync stripping would be great.
superg

Post by superg »

fernan1234 wrote:A future design (or perhaps a firmware update that replaces one of the dip switch functions, or the sync regeneration switch on the lite :wink: ) that incorporates sync stripping would be great.
Sync regeneration is sync stripping which is faster and level correct.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

superg wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:A future design (or perhaps a firmware update that replaces one of the dip switch functions, or the sync regeneration switch on the lite :wink: ) that incorporates sync stripping would be great.
Sync regeneration is sync stripping which is faster and level correct.
I see. Interestingly, the lite's sync regeneration does not work going to an Extron 203Rxi, unlike the chinese passive switch I was using earlier that has a sync stripper toggle which worked fine with the SCART (no sync stripper) to D-sub cable I have.

For now I'm chaining the lite to that other switch to keep the Extron unit's advantages. Hopefully the cable with sync stripper will let me get rid of the other switch.
DJ Kevgeez

Post by DJ Kevgeez »

Damn this thread is going 5 years strong.

One question before i order your Switch SuperG:
2 years ago and bought an Auto Bandridge.
All my systems except Gamecube are SCART.
I'm wondering why the Sega and SNES have these black lines in the tv when the screen goes all black.
The picture is perfect when the games are playing....its just that once you see the lines you cant unsee them.
I have top notch cables from RGC. A Sony Trinitron 36'.
Is it the Switch or something else?

Sorry if this was already asked but the thread is 136 pages.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

DJ Kevgeez wrote: I'm wondering why the Sega and SNES have these black lines in the tv when the screen goes all black.
A Sony Trinitron 36'.
Is it the Switch or something else?
Are you taking about the barely visible aperture grill damping wires? Please post a picture of the lines.
-the Goat
superg

Post by superg »

DJ Kevgeez wrote: I'm wondering why the Sega and SNES have these black lines in the tv when the screen goes all black.
The picture is perfect when the games are playing....its just that once you see the lines you cant unsee them.
I have top notch cables from RGC. A Sony Trinitron 36'.
No sure what that is, maybe it's your tv issue.