Odallus: The Dark Call is god-tier and you should all buy it

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Ajora

Odallus: The Dark Call is god-tier and you should all buy it

Post by Ajora »

Berserk, Castlevania and Demon's Crest all seamlessly mixed together. I feel like this is a video game that was made for precisely me and me alone. Controls, music, enemies, challenge, environments, secrets, Easter Eggs. Everything that exists is flawlessly executed. The difficulty curve hits a perfect sweet-spot. I can't think of a single thing to nitpick about this masterpiece. This is by far one of the most underrated video games I've ever played. It couldn't possibly kick any more ass unless the members of Sodom appeared as an optional boss battle. It's on sale right now, too.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/319480/Odallu
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.
Sumez

Re: Odallus: The Dark Call is god-tier and you should all bu

Post by Sumez »

I never completed this game, so maybe I should get back into it.
A lot of people dislike it, but I think it's "fine". It's definitely a huge improvement over their previous game, Oniken, which for as awesome as it looks, is just a pain to play.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

To elaborate I'll dig out my old post on the game. 2016 Sumez probably remembers the experience better than I do:
Sumez wrote:Took some time with Odallus today, playing a few levels, and it's far better than Oniken. Well, it still has that awkward amateurish feel that reveals it's made using Multimedia Fusion, but you wouldn't be able to tell from still shots, it looks just as amazing as Oniken.
However, this time around the enemy and obstacle design is far more thought through and fair, without necessarily being easier. The health is more limited, forcing you to be more careful with the moves, and I actually really like the slow-as-fuck sword move, requiring every attack to be planned. I can imagine getting better armor and weapon will ruin it a bit though, as you said, provided the game doesn't scale up the enemies to fit that on the later areas.

What happens if I run out of those "extra life" pendants?
viewtopic.php?p=1208654#p1208654
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

I played through the game a while ago and had a fairly good time, the aesthetics and "cinematics" are a treat, but I remember a few things feeling off. Something about enemy hp or how they stagger that seemed to have the effect of punishing aggressive play.
it290

Post by it290 »

Picked it up on the Switch when that version came out (it's a little buggy—progressively slows down over time in TV mode but not handheld) as an excuse to go back through it. I love the overall design of the game, the levels in particular—it's a really interesting metroidvania-in-disguise and the exploration is really fun. However, the control is a little looser than I'd remembered, and some of the boss designs leave a little to be desired, especially the final boss. Well worth it for anyone who likes this sort of thing, but considering how long this thing has been PC-exclusive I was disappointed that they neglected the chance to tighten up the gameplay a bit and ended up releasing such a barebones port. Definitely looking forward to giving Blazing Chrome a go.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

I was cool with both Oniken and Odallus. Not perfect, but about what I expected.

btw Play-Asia has a preorder up for the physical release on Switch and PS4.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Big fan of Oniken and Odallus. Hard, but not too hard. Mostly everything works, Odallus gets a little silly with the final equipment allowing you to faceroll bosses though.

Some of the writeups I've seen for these games, especially Oniken, are quite terrible. That's a serious shame, they deserve much better than that. Odallus is probably better than The Lecarde Chronicles 2, even.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Sumez wrote:I never completed this game, so maybe I should get back into it.
A lot of people dislike it, but I think it's "fine". It's definitely a huge improvement over their previous game, Oniken, which for as awesome as it looks, is just a pain to play.
More or less my take.

I do not really care for all the obscure hidden upgrades though.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Picked this up on Switch due to this thread. Looking forward to giving it a spin when I finish work.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I did preorder the Switch version, too.
Even though it's not a good game, I really appreciate that these guys at least have the right intentions, and I want to support them.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Sumez wrote:I did preorder the Switch version, too.
Even though it's not a good game, I really appreciate that these guys at least have the right intentions, and I want to support them.
I bought it on looks alone, and to support the effort. It's disappointing, but not surprising, to read that it's not a completely good game.

More disappointing now, is that PlayAsia has just knocked the physical release date from Q2 to August.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

More disappointing now, is that PlayAsia has just knocked the physical release date from Q2 to August.
Has anyone heard or know what is causing the delay with the physical PS4 release?
It had been pushed to "Q4" (which is now) with no apparent news or updates from the developer.
Are they making improvements or additions to the game?