gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Arvid

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by Arvid »

superg wrote: This is clearly a sync issue. Could be incorrect mod or cable. I get that console works when connected directly but this is not an indication that everything is good from the console side. PVM has much wider tolerances for sync and RGB levels.
I did some more testing on the issue. I have a unmodified PAL Mega Drive so I tried plugging that into the switch using the same cable and that work just fine so the problem is apparently with the modified MD. When I turn on the modified MD it is able to achieve sync for just a fraction of a second and then I get the No Sync message. The strange thing is that the mod that is done to the MD should mean that when it is switched to the PAL/50hz option it should essentially be operating the same as a stock unmodified unit.
Lux

Post by Lux »

I tried with another Mega Drive I have and had no problem, so I guess there's an issue with the first one. Glad everything's OK with the switch. Disappointed as this Mega Drive doesn't accept my Master System Converter (that's why I got the one I was using since), but that's another matter ! The quest for the perfect Mega Drive continues...
rayik

Post by rayik »

Ordered gscartsw on Jan 3 and received it earlier this week. Thank you superb for making and sharing these!
ViraLicious

Post by ViraLicious »

Got my switch yesterday. From my brief testing it seems to work just fine! I upgraded to the current gscartsw from the 3.4 version. I did this mainly in the hope of getting a slightly sharper image, since the 5.2 version doesn't have a LPF. However, I didn't think I would notice that big of a difference in the end. But I was pleasantly surprised to find that I actually did see a noticeable jump in sharpness! Which was very nice! :)
pancakewizard

Post by pancakewizard »

I sold my 4:1 to help with the cost of getting a 8:2 and the guy who bought it is giving me crap over the power supply cutting out.

I asked for a video and he sent me this -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY8OPaS ... e=youtu.be

It looks like it works fine until (for some reason) he decides to move the cable. Of course he wants a refund but should it be safe to just tell him replace the power supply or just don't mess with the cable? I'm not sure what happened because it worked fine when I had the unit.
superg

Post by superg »

pancakewizard wrote:I sold my 4:1 to help with the cost of getting a 8:2 and the guy who bought it is giving me crap over the power supply cutting out.

I asked for a video and he sent me this -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY8OPaS ... e=youtu.be

It looks like it works fine until (for some reason) he decides to move the cable. Of course he wants a refund but should it be safe to just tell him replace the power supply or just don't mess with the cable? I'm not sure what happened because it worked fine when I had the unit.
If he is sure that it's power supply cord, order the replacement directly to him: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/5023722, it's just $8 + shipping.
It could also be a contact issue, let him clean the connector with alcohol and re-insert it a few times and see if that helps. I'm also not sure why to rotate the connector inside other than getting some discount ;)
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

pancakewizard wrote:I sold my 4:1 to help with the cost of getting a 8:2 and the guy who bought it is giving me crap over the power supply cutting out.

There's a difference in intent between asking for a discount vs return. A return means he doesn't want the item and would rather have the money. A discount means he still wants the item, but feels he paid too much, and it creating a reason to get money back ex post facto.

Regardless, have him return it and sell it to me. PM me, I can always use a good 4:1 SCART switch.
vraskin

Post by vraskin »

Hey superg - just got my gscartsw recently and it works great! I am, however, having a problem connecting it to my Extron 203 RXI, which results in sync issues. I've already ordered a Sync Strike, but was wondering if maybe there was some magical combination of dip switch settings between the Extron and gscartsw that would do the trick so I don't have to wait 2 weeks just to realize it was something minor I could have fixed on my own. I'm using a standard male SCART to male VGA cable to connect the switch to the Extron and male-male 4 BNC cable to connect the Extron to to the monitor (which is a PVM 20L5).

Appreciate any help!
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ldeveraux wrote:

There's a difference in intent between asking for a discount vs return. A return means he doesn't want the item and would rather have the money. A discount means he still wants the item, but feels he paid too much, and it creating a reason to get money back ex post facto.

Regardless, have him return it and sell it to me. PM me, I can always use a good 4:1 SCART switch.
It's a gcompsw. :)
superg

Post by superg »

ldeveraux wrote: There's a difference in intent between asking for a discount vs return. A return means he doesn't want the item and would rather have the money. A discount means he still wants the item, but feels he paid too much, and it creating a reason to get money back ex post facto.
Yeah I get that. Getting refund is undefined whether "[partial] refund and keep the item" or "[full] refund and return the item". Either way it's a simple fix and quite weird because those 4:1 gcompsw switches are sought after as I don't manufacture them anymore. On eBay it would go in an hour or so.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

nmalinoski wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:

It's a gcompsw. :)
Even better, still interested.
cook99

Post by cook99 »

Thanks for all the hard work, my 2nd unit arrived safely.
With an 8x2 gcomp I'll happily be finished with my setup, love your product mate!
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

Hi all,

got my gscartsw today and it's sorted my PC Engine woes out seemingly. I've posted a video here in case it helps anyone out: https://youtu.be/wSfbb3g81FQ

Thanks @superg for another great product! Will try it with passing through GameCube component signals later today; the PC Engine working again is a massive benefit though and I'm really happy. Thanks for going the extra mile and including this feature when I'm sure it would've been easier to just drop it.

P.S. On a side note, anyone know why my D-series BVM sounds like a plane taking off during normal operation? The older BVM is much quieter by comparison.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

coderkind wrote: P.S. On a side note, anyone know why my D-series BVM sounds like a plane taking off during normal operation? The older BVM is much quieter by comparison.
99% sure you have one of those fat HD input cards with an annoying fan on the D-series. Unless you're actually using it, you can just pull it out a bit to disconnect it and the fan will be off.
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

fernan1234 wrote:
coderkind wrote: P.S. On a side note, anyone know why my D-series BVM sounds like a plane taking off during normal operation? The older BVM is much quieter by comparison.
99% sure you have one of those fat HD input cards with an annoying fan on the D-series. Unless you're actually using it, you can just pull it out a bit to disconnect it and the fan will be off.
Will give that a try; many thanks @fernan1234! :D
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

fernan1234 wrote:
I've had success quieting fans, even rattly ones, by oiling them. If you can get some 3-in-1 sewing machine oil (I got mine on Amazon), pull the fan from the card, and either pull back its dust sticker flap or pop the fin assembly off, you can get some fresh oil in there and it'll spin quietly.
Aero-R

Post by Aero-R »

superg wrote:The last units are packed and ready for drop off tomorrow. Every order including January 30, 2019 is shipped.
Hello superg,

I placed my order on the 1st day the switch was released (AugustI think it was?) but have not received any shipping email yet or any PayPal mail recently about any change on the status of my order.
superg

Post by superg »

Aero-R wrote:
superg wrote:The last units are packed and ready for drop off tomorrow. Every order including January 30, 2019 is shipped.
Hello superg,

I placed my order on the 1st day the switch was released (AugustI think it was?) but have not received any shipping email yet or any PayPal mail recently about any change on the status of my order.
PM me your paypal transaction ID.
Aero-R

Post by Aero-R »

superg wrote:
Aero-R wrote:
Hello superg,

PM me your paypal transaction ID.
This is quite strange... when I was looking for the PayPal transaction ID on their website (order placed on August 28th) it says it's sent thru USPS on March 24th. Good news, but quite surprising to see that I have never received any email from PayPal or anything. There's a tracking number there too.

Checked my email inbox and spam folders but never found anything. Strange indeed, so if anyone hasn't received the email please check your original PayPal transaction and you might find more accurate info there. By the way thanks superg for your quick answer and your hard work on this, much appreciatted.
superg

Post by superg »

Aero-R wrote: Checked my email inbox and spam folders but never found anything. Strange indeed, so if anyone hasn't received the email please check your original PayPal transaction and you might find more accurate info there. By the way thanks superg for your quick answer and your hard work on this, much appreciatted.
It happens for some. I haven't found a proper explanation yet. But in the most cases paypal sends an instant notification the moment I print a shipping label.
stustap

Post by stustap »

I received my gscartsw today and just want to say a massive thanks to superg :D

Just had a play around with it and it all works seamlessly - exactly what I've needed, and now my set up is complete (well, I will eventually need another gscartsw because I have too many damn consoles I want to hook up!)
Decoryah

Post by Decoryah »

Is there any difference between implementation of sync regeneration of Gscartsw Lite and new Gscartsw? I have problematic consolized Neo Geo MVS that has some sync problems. Gscartsw Lite’s sync regeneration dip switch fixes the sync issue but new Gscartsw’s doesn’t. I can plug it into Lite and all is fine but I’m kinda curious why the switches work differently with that console. Maybe I can find the way to fix the sync on console side too if I know what Gscartsw Lite is doing differently.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

@superg,
What are the main differences between v1.0 and the soon to be released version of the switch. If I don't need 8:2 and can settle for 4:1 for a reduced price, is there a glaring reason not to do so? I've been in the market for a switch for some time and was going to possibly pick one up at a discount.
superg

Post by superg »

Decoryah wrote:Is there any difference between implementation of sync regeneration of Gscartsw Lite and new Gscartsw? I have problematic consolized Neo Geo MVS that has some sync problems. Gscartsw Lite’s sync regeneration dip switch fixes the sync issue but new Gscartsw’s doesn’t. I can plug it into Lite and all is fine but I’m kinda curious why the switches work differently with that console. Maybe I can find the way to fix the sync on console side too if I know what Gscartsw Lite is doing differently.
The principle is exactly the same but new gscartsw has high frequency comparator IC to support 1080 HD resolution and Altera IC is larger. Not sure if that or something else is affecting it in your case. When you plug your MVS, does the switch successfully registers signal? (LED blinks fast for a second and then stays on)
superg

Post by superg »

ldeveraux wrote:@superg,
What are the main differences between v1.0 and the soon to be released version of the switch. If I don't need 8:2 and can settle for 4:1 for a reduced price, is there a glaring reason not to do so? I've been in the market for a switch for some time and was going to possibly pick one up at a discount.
You mean gcompsw, right?
The new version has input protections and shares a lot with newest gscartsw. If 4:1 has enough ports for you, no need to upgrade.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

superg wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:@superg,
You mean gcompsw, right?
The new version has input protections and shares a lot with newest gscartsw. If 4:1 has enough ports for you, no need to upgrade.
Yes, I meant to say gcompsw. Though the more I consider it, I really think I might benefit from 8 inputs... :)
Decoryah

Post by Decoryah »

superg wrote:
Decoryah wrote:Is there any difference between implementation of sync regeneration of Gscartsw Lite and new Gscartsw? I have problematic consolized Neo Geo MVS that has some sync problems. Gscartsw Lite’s sync regeneration dip switch fixes the sync issue but new Gscartsw’s doesn’t. I can plug it into Lite and all is fine but I’m kinda curious why the switches work differently with that console. Maybe I can find the way to fix the sync on console side too if I know what Gscartsw Lite is doing differently.
The principle is exactly the same but new gscartsw has high frequency comparator IC to support 1080 HD resolution and Altera IC is larger. Not sure if that or something else is affecting it in your case. When you plug your MVS, does the switch successfully registers signal? (LED blinks fast for a second and then stays on)
Yes, new Gscartsw acts like you described (blinks fast few times and stays solid after that) and there's picture on monitor but it's all restless and messed up. It looks like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hbgos0r7yx4iu ... .jpeg?dl=0. Gscartsw Lite's sync regeneration dip switch fixes the picture perfectly while new Gscartsw's does nothing. Most certainly there's something wierd happening in console's side but it was just my thought that if I could understand how Gscartsw Lite is fixing the image maybe same could be replicated in actual console or scart cable.

One interesting thing is that my previous monitor Sony PVM-20M4E didn't have any problems with same Neo Geo. The problem has only occured with my new monitor SONY BVM-D24E1WE.

Btw new Gscartsw has completely solved my problems running HD signals through scart switch with component-to-rgb adapter that I asked about in 10 pages ago in this thread :) Same adapter through Gscartsw 3.4's port 8 did produce soft and blurry image but with new switch image is crystal clear.
superg

Post by superg »

Decoryah wrote: Yes, new Gscartsw acts like you described (blinks fast few times and stays solid after that) and there's picture on monitor but it's all restless and messed up. It looks like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hbgos0r7yx4iu ... .jpeg?dl=0. Gscartsw Lite's sync regeneration dip switch fixes the picture perfectly while new Gscartsw's does nothing. Most certainly there's something wierd happening in console's side but it was just my thought that if I could understand how Gscartsw Lite is fixing the image maybe same could be replicated in actual console or scart cable.

One interesting thing is that my previous monitor Sony PVM-20M4E didn't have any problems with same Neo Geo. The problem has only occured with my new monitor SONY BVM-D24E1WE.

Btw new Gscartsw has completely solved my problems running HD signals through scart switch with component-to-rgb adapter that I asked about in 10 pages ago in this thread :) Same adapter through Gscartsw 3.4's port 8 did produce soft and blurry image but with new switch image is crystal clear.
I see. The best case is to try to resolve the issue on the console side (scope, levels, etc), not sure if that is possible though.
superg

Post by superg »

Guys, I have two used gscartsw_lite v1.5 units for sale, $140 + shipping $17 USA, $23 Canada and $30 International. Those are from my setup and I am upgrading to the newest v5.2 version! :). Includes new power supply.
PM me if you're interested.

EDIT2: all gone, thanks everybody.
Last edited by superg on Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

@superg; one thing I've noticed with the "Sega Master System correction" DIP switch setting; it seemingly shifts the picture to the left to a degree; you can see it near the end of the video I posted earlier with a blank gap down the right side of the picture: https://youtu.be/wSfbb3g81FQ

I've checked the DIP switch against a console that doesn't have problem sync (GameCube via component cables), and it shifts the picture to a similar degree.

Is this as-intended?