Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
null1024

Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

Post by null1024 »

M.U.S.H.A. [Genesis].
As much as I like this game, it goes from "there's almost literally no way for me to possibly die to anything on screen" [lol rotating shield, lol losing special weapon instead of a life if you have it] to "oops I've lost three lives in a row and I'm not killing anything fast enough" [got hit by a laser attack/ran into something and powered down, and then it happened again because I was surprised I could get hit by anything, and then it happened again because I couldn't kill what was in front of me anymore].

real shame because it's stylish and has amazing music
but there are chunks of the game that seem to be actually devoid of gameplay since basically nothing can really hurt you in any way for their duration
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Welcome to Compile. :mrgreen:
Are there higher difficulty levels? Those might be worth trying in case they help with the flow issue.
Stevens wrote:Thunder Dragon 2. Sometimes it's nice to play a shooter where you just shoot, dodge, bomb, and collect shit. One weapon, one sub, lots of bombs, and no complicated scoring system.

I dig.
The simplicity is one of the best things about TD2, and the way the enemy waves spawn always keeps you busy.
Though to be honest, there are some slightly trickier score mechanics with the bomb bonus and some destruction bonuses (which aren't even important for survival anyway as there aren't any extends), but aside from that it's just speedkilling.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
CyberAngel

Post by CyberAngel »

Tried another run of Green Wind on Easy, since discovering a second extend item guarantees a higher end bonus in case of no-miss. Was doing good, with some fancy scoring, but just choked at the final stage, losing that extra life. Oh well, it's coming someday...

That said, I'm playing three shmups now and then these days (in addition to two more non-shmup games), so might get a few new 1ccs soon (yeah right -_-)
Zombi 6

Post by Zombi 6 »

Playing armed formation f atm on the arcade archives. Love this game even before this release always found myself going back to it in mame the psychedelic colours do it for me :)
Marc

Post by Marc »

Gradius 3 SNES. Got to the end of the fire level with five lives in stock, got tagged, lost every life trying to squeeze through the tunnel before the boss with no power-ups. That soundtrack though... one of the finest Konami ever put their name to.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

Marc wrote:That soundtrack though... one of the finest Konami ever put their name to.
yah, even better than the arcade version
Marc

Post by Marc »

More Gradius 3.
Got the first eight levels nailed down after some save-state practice. Only real trouble spots up to the final stage are the high-speed level, which I hate, and the boss at the end of the base level. Unfortunately I despise the final level – I always felt the cell walls were unfair in Salamander and they still seem to respawn on top of you here – even with a full complement of Options and C laser. Also, stupid me for taking so long to realise that Reduce is far far more useful than any of the shields.

I also fired up Vulcan Venture after feeling mildly successful with III – didn’t take long for me to be brought down to size. Cannot get past the halfway point on the Volcano stage – there’s a bit where you’re stuck at the bottom of the play area and have to pass through a gap to get back in the top half of the screen, and at the moment I can’t get past there without getting wasted – the volume of fire in such a cramped area is mad.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Started playing Detana TwinBee again. Took me a couple tries but I was able to 1-ALL the game again and get a bit into the second loop. Game still has a satisfying flow to it. Juggling bells allows me to feel like I'm good at something.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I've 1ALL'd the PCE port of Detana Twinbee (which is a lovely game on HuCard). Did you ever feel a special need to worry about hitboxes? Detana's arcade original is sometimes joked about because of inconsistent hitboxes (???) that the PCE version fixes, though at the expense of lower difficulty and a cut level.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

EmperorIng wrote:I've 1ALL'd the PCE port of Detana Twinbee (which is a lovely game on HuCard). Did you ever feel a special need to worry about hitboxes? Detana's arcade original is sometimes joked about because of inconsistent hitboxes (???) that the PCE version fixes, though at the expense of lower difficulty and a cut level.
The hitboxes are enormous, definitely jarring if you're used to bullet hells and other games with small hitboxes, and you need to err on the side of caution when dodging. It's still manageable, however, at least for the first loop which is very light on bullets (enemy collisions are more of a threat). I find that getting the barrier (red bell) helps a lot - even though its hitbox is even bigger than your own, having the leeway to take multiple hits relieves a lot of pressure, isolating the tension to the moments when you lose your shield and need to look for a red bell to refresh it. You also don't lose your arms while you have a shield up - the arms have separate hitboxes and without a shield they die if you so much as look at a bullet funny (though on rare occasions that's useful as a rudimentary shield...). Purple bell (the one that turns your options solid) is probably more useful on the second loop since the red bell doesn't last long with all the suicide bullets, but it's also somewhat finicky and I've never quite gotten the hang of using it, so I've stuck with the red bell, which comfortably alleviates any hitbox issues for me.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

fucking around on 2-ALL no miss attempts of the first Gradius on hardest
nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Shepardus wrote:
EmperorIng wrote:I've 1ALL'd the PCE port of Detana Twinbee (which is a lovely game on HuCard). Did you ever feel a special need to worry about hitboxes? Detana's arcade original is sometimes joked about because of inconsistent hitboxes (???) that the PCE version fixes, though at the expense of lower difficulty and a cut level.
The hitboxes are enormous, definitely jarring if you're used to bullet hells and other games with small hitboxes, and you need to err on the side of caution when dodging. It's still manageable, however, at least for the first loop which is very light on bullets (enemy collisions are more of a threat). I find that getting the barrier (red bell) helps a lot - even though its hitbox is even bigger than your own, having the leeway to take multiple hits relieves a lot of pressure, isolating the tension to the moments when you lose your shield and need to look for a red bell to refresh it. You also don't lose your arms while you have a shield up - the arms have separate hitboxes and without a shield they die if you so much as look at a bullet funny (though on rare occasions that's useful as a rudimentary shield...). Purple bell (the one that turns your options solid) is probably more useful on the second loop since the red bell doesn't last long with all the suicide bullets, but it's also somewhat finicky and I've never quite gotten the hang of using it, so I've stuck with the red bell, which comfortably alleviates any hitbox issues for me.
An interesting approach! I always used the super options (green+purple bell) and trailed them in front of me in order to soak hits. I wish they didn't return to your position when not moving. I've been trying to use the red bell shield instead over the past few nights to see if I have any improvement.

I am also playing a bit of Twinbee Yahho while the CD is still spinning. Man, I need to read a ST or something. Some of the changes can blindside you (e.g.: picking up a shield completely removes your options). All of the other bells-n-whistles are unknown to me (like why the game 'cashes in' bells after a set point). The game feels a lot harder than Detana. The farthest I've gotten is stage 4 :oops: with all the Alice in Wonderland cats taking up the entire screen. I've made better progress setting shot and bomb to the same button and using autofire.

===

I'm also getting pissed off at my lack of progress on Gradius II. I got to the boss rush my second attempt a week or so ago (coming back after months). Now I can't get past the volcano stage???
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

EmperorIng wrote:An interesting approach! I always used the super options (green+purple bell) and trailed them in front of me in order to soak hits. I wish they didn't return to your position when not moving. I've been trying to use the red bell shield instead over the past few nights to see if I have any improvement.

I am also playing a bit of Twinbee Yahho while the CD is still spinning. Man, I need to read a ST or something. Some of the changes can blindside you (e.g.: picking up a shield completely removes your options). All of the other bells-n-whistles are unknown to me (like why the game 'cashes in' bells after a set point). The game feels a lot harder than Detana. The farthest I've gotten is stage 4 :oops: with all the Alice in Wonderland cats taking up the entire screen. I've made better progress setting shot and bomb to the same button and using autofire.
Good to see someone else playing TwinBee for once! :wink: "bells-n-whistles," heh.

If by "cashing in" bells you mean the bell counter at the side of the screen, that's your bell chain, which shows how many bells you've picked up without dropping any. As far as I know it's only relevant in Practice mode, where having a chain of at least 50 at the end of stage 3 allows you to proceed to the remaining stages.

Red and green bells being incompatible with each other in Yahho is consistent with every TwinBee I've played except Detana. In other games, though, the powerups don't actually cancel each other out, but rather having one or the other causes the bell colors to stop appearing, so you can technically get both red and green by getting both bells to appear before picking up either. In Yahho, the colors don't stop appearing if you already have their upgrade (excess bells are instead worth a ton of points), so they changed the red/green behavior to cancel each other out. Detana's a special case since they made red and purple incompatible instead of red and green.

I've actually never cleared Yahho, though I'm sure much of that is from my getting distracted by scoring all the time. It's significantly more involved than its predecessors in that respect.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
qhoang85

Post by qhoang85 »

Trying to no miss Mushihimesama Original.
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

Played NMK's Valtric for 2+ hours at a game center in Nara last night, pretty fun, scratches the Guardian Force itch. Very frantic, I realized from some blogs today that you can keep the rank lower by only taking 1 or 2 of the red power-ups. Got around 200k and made it to 3-1, not bad for a first day I think hehe

Apparently shots wrap-around from the bottom to the top of the screen too? I heard about some exploits of the st3 boss, maybe Perikles can confirm. I think I'm going to go for the clear on this one.
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
Dumple

Post by Dumple »

EmperorIng wrote:Made it to the boss rush in AC Gradius II. The biggest danger is surviving the high-speed stage with options, because the Zub Rush before the boss parade is the biggest cause of my lost lives at this point. Recovery from the Zub Rush is probably the hardest thing so far.

To say nothing of the stage afterward! I sometimes don't even have a speed-up, which more or less means I'm screwed. The game is so fantastic though, even with how the speed stage screws you over with dead-ends.

I also came back to ESPGaluda after a long break. Made it to Seseri after 2 attempts, but am still pissed that the final part of stage 5 trips me up (what with enemy streams and turrets), to say nothing of Seseri's first form (total bullshit). I really want to finally put this one away after getting to the final boss several times, but am getting discouraged by st5 wall, and of course there's Jakou's final three forms which almost necessitate you getting there with 3 lives in stock.
I've also been playing Gradius 2 and ESPGaluda. Great minds think alike! :)

I played a lot of ESPGaluda during Yolympics and managed to grind out a 1-credit clear with an unexpectedly smooth performance on the last phase of the last boss. The 1-sissy video helped, but it was mostly a matter of savestate-practicing the last stage over and over.

I'm also learning AC Gradius II. For the Zub Rush, it *seems* to be safe to position yourself at the bottom left and mash (with your options straight above you), at least if you're powered up (type 4, 3 options, ripple laser). The bits I'm most worried about are random crystals in stage 3, the moai level, tetran, random bullets in the high-speed stage (after shield has been stripped by going through narrow paths), and Club (the 6-legged walker). And of course, the #1 worry is that the losing 1 life means falling into Recovery Hell. It's ironic that the easiest checkpoint to recover from is the very last one in the game; you can sit still and dodge all the shots...
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Going for a no-autofire run through the V route in Darius Gaiden. Relearning a lot of stuff, since I haven't played the game seriously in a good while and used to use a slow (8-10hz) autofire to save my hands some work, but I'm finding it doable even without tapping much. You still have all the stopping power you need in most situations, and it reminds you to make extensive use of your bombs/missiles, as you would in the original Darius. It's also been fun to have to deal with the bosses' desperation attacks (or just finally see their full repertoire in some cases), since they're usually comfortably dead a few seconds before using them. I'm playing for a 1LC rather than for score, but it's been a refreshing experience and is already making me want to attempt the hardest routes this way.

Ed: managed this with one death for 7mil. A really daft death against Deadly Crescent, a boss I've pretty much never struggled with, hehe. Now attempting a cleaner run and hopefully netting 8-9mil.

Ed: got the no-miss!
Last edited by Klatrymadon on Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Dumple wrote: I've also been playing Gradius 2 and ESPGaluda. Great minds think alike! :)

I played a lot of ESPGaluda during Yolympics and managed to grind out a 1-credit clear with an unexpectedly smooth performance on the last phase of the last boss. The 1-sissy video helped, but it was mostly a matter of savestate-practicing the last stage over and over.
In ESPGaluda, I definitely find my "problem spots" to be choking on the stage 4 boss, and 5-1's zako rush leading up to Seseri. IIRC Roo says Seseri is more dangerous than most of the final boss, and I somewhat agree.

The real problem of Jakou is his powered-up butterfly form's first and penultimate phase. If you lose lives there it doesn't feel like you'll be able to have enough resources to win. Though I have had savestate practices where I beat losing only one life. But those are rare and far between. I really need to bunker down and just practice but I get burned out sometimes and switch to different games.

For Gradius II, the solution to the zub rush just seems to be "don't die at the speed stage." Well, sometimes it's not that easy! :P
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Recently started playing Caladrius (original 360 ver) again. My goal is to SCC it with default Maria (no customization). I've been getting up to the stage 6 boss (and have managed to max out all 3 weapons) but I'm still making stupid mistakes during the stage 4 and 5 boss battles. I plan to eventually post an SCC run... but I guess I'd have to put an age restriction on the vid.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

Pfiuu...with a a bit of luck i managed to destroy my previous best in Espgaluda 2 stage 1 (and full speed too) :D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TTcSCtmpSAM

I think this is probably the world record for stage 1 on iOS!

And i didn't trigger the full.bullet rain at the end of the Boss. Btw, how the hell does one constantly trigger that incredibly dense bullet pattern at the end, worth 6 +mil? I rarely do more than 4 mil :?
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

el_rika wrote:And i didn't trigger the full.bullet rain at the end of the Boss. Btw, how the hell does one constantly trigger that incredibly dense bullet pattern at the end, worth 6 +mil? I rarely do more than 4 mil :?
Assuming the glitch is the same as the original PCB... you move into the upper-right corner before the pattern begins. Everything else is timing and having the right number of gems.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

Kiken wrote:
el_rika wrote:And i didn't trigger the full.bullet rain at the end of the Boss. Btw, how the hell does one constantly trigger that incredibly dense bullet pattern at the end, worth 6 +mil? I rarely do more than 4 mil :?
Assuming the glitch is the same as the original PCB... you move into the upper-right corner before the pattern begins. Everything else is timing and having the right number of gems.

Well, as seen in my video, i'm doing just that, yet the density is not quite as...dense as it should. I managed to get it denser in my trials, but it's very random. There must be more to it...the positioning must be more precise i think..but how and where?
mainpatr5

Post by mainpatr5 »

Everyone who thinks Dooyong is the worst of the Korean shmups need to try Philko's two trash-piles Turtleship and Dyger. I was playing them on MAME and can't even get the first stage on Dyger. The boss is impossible.
Tarma

Post by Tarma »

Returned to Raiden Fighters Aces on the 360 - forgot how much fun these games are, but still haven't found a ship I'm totally happy with.
Marc

Post by Marc »

mainpatr5 wrote:Everyone who thinks Dooyong is the worst of the Korean shmups need to try Philko's two trash-piles Turtleship and Dyger. I was playing them on MAME and can't even get the first stage on Dyger. The boss is impossible.
I'll have a look over the weekend. Never heard of these two but love checking out trash like this.
Ajora

Post by Ajora »

I'm playing Robo Aleste. Nice powerups, enemy designs, and music. The story and quality of voice acting are embarrassing, however, and ultimately detract from the experience. It's a pretty good game, but nowhere near as good as Musha Aleste.
Last edited by Ajora on Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

Mahou Daisakusen. my best runs end at that ninja fucker in stage 6, have no idea what to do with him. Also stage 5 boss's shoulder turrets can go straight to hell. all the bosses in this game are random as fuck.

also been having the urge to play Gradius III SNES, which has been a bit more relaxing. I made it to the boss rush on one credit last night so I'm making pretty brisk progress, though I'm on default settings. once I get the clear I'll probably start upping the difficulty.
Ajora

Post by Ajora »

I've finished Robo Aleste. It wasn't as hard as I initially thought it was once my eyes adjusted to the faint and tiny bullets and I realized that you can actually shoot the bullets. I really enjoyed this game the more I played it, but I'm baffled as to how anyone could place it above Musha Aleste (Robo Aleste has a higher rating than Musha Aleste on Gamefaqs). I know I'm sounding a little redundant at this point, but it kind of amazes me how bad the story, voice acting, translation and dialogue all are. How do you mess up a story about ninjas and giant robots that takes place in the Sengoku era of feudal Japan?

I also just finished playing through Super Galaxy Squadron EX Turbo on Veteran mode in one sitting. The first 95% of the game was pretty easy. And then the final boss showed up and proceeded to wipe the floor with me for a good 25 minutes. After that, I played a bit of endless mode, and I can say that it's more enjoyable than the main game. Overall, it's a decent game, and certainly, worth the (maybe) two dollars I spent on it.
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Back to Ketsui, playing both ships at this point. After a few weeks off I made it to the 2nd half of stage four. Not quite the furthest I've ever gone (four boss), but I'll take it after the hiatus.

I think I can clear this one if I stick with it.
My lord, I have come for you.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Ajora wrote:I also just finished playing through Super Galaxy Squadron EX Turbo on Veteran mode in one sitting. The first 95% of the game was pretty easy. And then the final boss showed up and proceeded to wipe the floor with me for a good 25 minutes. After that, I played a bit of endless mode, and I can say that it's more enjoyable than the main game. Overall, it's a decent game, and certainly, worth the (maybe) two dollars I spent on it.
That's pretty much the same experience I had with the game. The regular mode disappointed me with its uneven difficulty and rather boring level design, but the endless mode is where it's at. It can take a few minutes before the game shows its fangs, but even before that, the rush to destroy as many enemies and get as many hypers as possible is enjoyable. And once the game spawns lots and lots of enemies, that's where you can more easily get overdrives and have a blast cancelling the big clusters of bullets with your hypers. One thing I really like in this game is the sexy blue items that are a joy to pick up and that feeling is really elevated in this mode IMO.

I play with the Cyan ship because its forward sword slash makes it kinda play like a bootleg Radirgy ship, though its hyper isn't very good for survival. I suspect that some more powerful ships may make the Endless mode a little more literal lol. My current record is Wave 29 / 203k with the replay here, but I get the feeling you can play for much longer with a better ship.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project