Any reason to buy an original Xbox in 2019?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Classicgamer

Any reason to buy an original Xbox in 2019?

Post by Classicgamer »

It seems that the original Xbox is the only way to play House of the Dead 3 with a real light gun. Is there any other reason to buy one in 2019?

I.e. Are there any Xbox exclusives or instances where the original Xbox version of a game was the best?

Also, has anyone here tried the Xbox light gun as well as the PS2 official Guncon 2? If so, how does the Xbox gun compare in terms of accuracy?

For some reason, the original Xbox has more light gun controllers than light gun games but I have yet to see a 3rd party gun con that can match the official Guncon 2.
nmalinoski

Re: Any reason to buy an original Xbox in 2019?

Post by nmalinoski »

The Blinx series was exclusive to this console, as well as Jet Set Radio Future, the original Forza, Project Gotham Racing 1 and 2, Crimson Skies, the DDR/DS Ultramix series, and, you're right, House of the Dead 3.

Where cross-plats are concerned, owning an original Xbox might be worth it if you have a preference for Xbox controller glyphs in your games over Sony's. (I know at least one person that won't touch PlayStation controllers, gets tripped up by the differences in X buttons.)
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

nmalinoski wrote:Where cross-plats are concerned, owning an original Xbox might be worth it if you have a preference for Xbox controller glyphs in your games over Sony's. (I know at least one person that won't touch PlayStation controllers, gets tripped up by the differences in X buttons.)
A lot more HD support as well.

PS2 is a 480i console basically.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Classicgamer wrote: Also, has anyone here tried the Xbox light gun as well as the PS2 official Guncon 2? If so, how does the Xbox gun compare in terms of accuracy?

For some reason, the original Xbox has more light gun controllers than light gun games but I have yet to see a 3rd party gun con that can match the official Guncon 2.

For the OG Xbox you want the Mad Catz brand 'Blaster' light gun for HotD – works just as well as the PS2 Guncon 2 (I own multiples of each).

The OG Xbox can also use the crappy Pelican brand light gun for the Silent Scope Complete game (which NEVER works on any TV without the brightness jacked up so high it's nearly unviewable). Starsky and Hutch is the only other light gun game for OG Xbox I know of - oh, and HotD II is unlockable when you beat HotD III.
lechu

Post by lechu »

The original Xbox is one of the best consoles you can softmod. Ripping games directly onto the harddrive is a game changer (especially if you throw in a 1TB harddrive). The emulation for retro consoles and arcades isn't bad either (if you're into that kind of thing). And often, the Xbox versions of games from that era were often the best as they'd often have extra features and 90% of the games are in higher resolutions (as opposed to a rather low number of games on both the PS2 and Gamecube). Plus, in general, the Xbox just had better video quality overall, even at lower resolutions. I used to be all in for PS2, but now I only use the PS2 for exclusives. All multiplats from that era, it's straight to the Xbox for me without hesitation.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

shenmue 2 english dub

the only version of soul caliber 2 worth playing is the xbox version in 720p

also morrowind is pretty cool
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Dochartaigh wrote:oh, and HotD II is unlockable when you beat HotD III.
If your Xbox is softmodded, you can directly launch the HotD 2 xbe, without having to unlock it.
lechu wrote:The emulation for retro consoles and arcades isn't bad either (if you're into that kind of thing).
The Xbox doesn't do 240p, so it's very poor for this if you want emulated 240p games output in their native resolutino.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

maxtherabbit wrote:the only version of soul caliber 2 worth playing is the xbox version in 720p
Personal preference but I much prefer the Gamecube one, and on a standard def crt when possible. ^^
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

nmalinoski wrote:
Dochartaigh wrote:oh, and HotD II is unlockable when you beat HotD III.
If your Xbox is softmodded, you can directly launch the HotD 2 xbe, without having to unlock it.
lechu wrote:The emulation for retro consoles and arcades isn't bad either (if you're into that kind of thing).
The Xbox doesn't do 240p, so it's very poor for this if you want emulated 240p games output in their native resolutino.
I thought a few people had managed to come up with ways for one or two emulators to actually run in 240p.

If you have access to a good quality Component to VGA transcoder at all, you can run at 480p and put a SLG in between and get decent results too.
Xbox games at 480p on a VGA CRT is like Dreamcast part 2 but finding a good Component to VGA transcoder these days is hard if you don't want to spend near 100$ or more.

I've though about Component to HDMI and then HDMI to VGA but that's two sets of conversion I don't like. (Analog to digital and then back)
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

maxtherabbit wrote:shenmue 2 english dub
It's also on PS4, Xbox One and PC.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Lawfer wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:shenmue 2 english dub
It's also on PS4, Xbox One and PC.
lol completely forgot about the remaster :oops:
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Thanks. I knew you guys would be the right people to ask about this.

I have no interest in using the Xbox for 240p emulators as I have my PC with CRT EMU for that and my Android phone for any portable needs. So it would just be for Xbox games.

It sounds like you are saying that the original Xbox can only do 480p through component. Is that right? My 480p crt only accepts RGB. I have an RGB to component transcoder but nothing that does the other way. Is there any way to mod the Xbox to output 480p rgb? Having to spend $100 for a component to vga device makes it a different proposition...

Can the Xbox do 480i rgb?

Are all Xbox games 480p? If so, that would make it the best console for outrun 2. The PS2 version falls a little short and the PS3 version is no longer available....
Kez

Post by Kez »

Outrun Coast 2 Cost is awesome on the OG Xbox, 480p and widescreen support.

Yes 480i RGB is supported, but it is a bit of a waste.. 480p support on Xbox is extremely widespread, I haven't come across a game that doesn't support it (though I am sure some are out there).

I believe there is a way to get VGA from an Xbox, but it involves flashing a custom BIOS and a custom cable or internal modding. I haven't done it personally so don't know the details. Otherwise component is the way to go.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

99 percent of the Xbox library support 480p, there's only like 2 games who don't, with the official firmwares you can only play in 480p through component, if you want 480p through RGB you would need to use a custom firmware and get custom made cables.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Classicgamer wrote:It sounds like you are saying that the original Xbox can only do 480p through component. Is that right?
Can the Xbox do 480i rgb?
This is correct. YPbPr component is the only way you're going to get 480p, 720p, and 1080i out of the Xbox without a hard mod. If you try to connect an RGB SCART cable, for example, the best you're going to get is 480i60/576i50/PAL60 (depending on console region and game compatibility).
Classicgamer wrote:Is there any way to mod the Xbox to output 480p rgb? Having to spend $100 for a component to vga device makes it a different proposition...
Yes, there are mods to enable RGsB and RGBHV output with a simple BIOS reflash (although I think there's a way to load the BIOS without actually flashing), and, of course, custom cabling for RGBHV, since the AV port doesn't have the requisite pins available to accommodate separate sync.

These resources may be of interest:
https://assemblergames.com/threads/true ... ift.59405/
https://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/view ... =13&t=3644
https://assemblergames.com/threads/xbox ... ded.61635/
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... c=119841.0
Classicgamer wrote:Are all Xbox games 480p?
If this list is reliable, no. 480p support is almost but not 100% universal.

Additionally, if you have a PAL-region console, you need to change your console's video region (distinct from game/DVD region) to NTSC, otherwise you will be limited to 576i and PAL60 modes.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

It looks like the cheapest and easiest way for my to get 480p RGB would be to get one of the HDMI cables for the originals Xbox and then use my HDMI to analog rgb (vga) adapter.

That's how I connect my PS3 to my arcade monitor to play Capcom VS SNK 2 in 480p rgb. It works well enough. I should also be able to use my Ultracade UVC to downscale to 384p or 240p should the need arise.

I did a quick skim of some of the forum threads on this topic. It seems that not many people know exactly what the issue is that prevents native 480p RGB given that it can do both RGB and 480p. I guess there was little motivation to find out given the availability of cheap HDMI to VGA adapters.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Classicgamer wrote:I did a quick skim of some of the forum threads on this topic. It seems that not many people know exactly what the issue is that prevents native 480p RGB given that it can do both RGB and 480p.
Given that custom firmware enables 480p rgb, the assumption would be that 480p rgb is disabled by software.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Classicgamer wrote:It looks like the cheapest and easiest way for my to get 480p RGB would be to get one of the HDMI cables for the originals Xbox and then use my HDMI to analog rgb (vga) adapter.

That's how I connect my PS3 to my arcade monitor to play Capcom VS SNK 2 in 480p rgb. It works well enough. I should also be able to use my Ultracade UVC to downscale to 384p or 240p should the need arise.
PS3 can do 480p RGB output natively. It'll be RGsB, but you should be able to use that with the official VGA adapter (or a component cable and a 3xRCA->DE-15 adapter) and an Extron RGB interface to get RGBS/RGBHV as needed. You might need the Ultimarc PlayStation cable if it ever drops to 240p/480i; I've never used it in this configuration--only HDMI--so I don't have any experience here, just a bit of knowledge.

For the Xbox, if you have some money to burn, you could probably pick up a YPbPr component to VGA transcoder to simplify your setup, and it would probably have better quality than something like the Pound cable, which is specifically for convenience, not image quality.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

nmalinoski wrote:
Classicgamer wrote:It looks like the cheapest and easiest way for my to get 480p RGB would be to get one of the HDMI cables for the originals Xbox and then use my HDMI to analog rgb (vga) adapter.

PS3 can do 480p RGB output natively. It'll be RGsB, but you should be able to use that with the official VGA adapter (or a component cable and a 3xRCA->DE-15 adapter) and an Extron RGB interface to get RGBS/RGBHV as needed. You might need the Ultimarc PlayStation cable if it ever drops to 240p/480i; I've never used it in this configuration--only HDMI--so I don't have any experience here, just a bit of knowledge.

For the Xbox, if you have some money to burn, you could probably pick up a YPbPr component to VGA transcoder to simplify your setup, and it would probably have better quality than something like the Pound cable, which is specifically for convenience, not image quality.
I use the Ultimarc PS cable with my Extron interface with my PS2. It works ok but that cable does not work in 480p on the PS3.

It doesn't matter much though. I find that every HDMI to analog RGB device I have tried produces a lossless image. They are far better than any color space transcoder I have seen. I consider expensive digital rgb to analog rgb devices to be a waste of money. There is no perceivable difference.

I am definately not up for investing in a quality component to RGB transcoder just for an old Xbox. Without having tried it on an Xbox, I am almost positive the HDMI to vga route will produce better results for a lot less cash. Plus, I don't have any other consoles that only output component so it would be a waste for me.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Classicgamer wrote:I use the Ultimarc PS cable with my Extron interface with my PS2. It works ok but that cable does not work in 480p on the PS3.
Should work fine if you select AV Multi/SCART as the cable option and 480p for the output.
Kez

Post by Kez »

The main issue is not the HDMI -> Analogue but rather the Xbox -> HDMI solutions are not that great.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Kez wrote:The main issue is not the HDMI -> Analogue but rather the Xbox -> HDMI solutions are not that great.
by "not that great" he actually means "pile of shit"
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

maxtherabbit wrote:
Kez wrote:The main issue is not the HDMI -> Analogue but rather the Xbox -> HDMI solutions are not that great.
I'm sure the Xbox will get a digital-to-digital HDMI mod soon enough. Till then, you can use component plus an OSSC and/or Extron DSC 301 HD.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

maxtherabbit wrote:
I have this, it's pretty good: amazon.com/gp/product/B07JHZXNL2

I haven't done any official tests, nor put it through the wringer WRT lag, but seems OK to me.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

What's wrong with the Xbox HDMI output? If the issue is poor scaling then that won't be an issue for me as I'd be running 480p only.

Is the Xbox HDMI output native or are people using upscalers and / or transcoders?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Classicgamer wrote:What's wrong with the Xbox HDMI output? If the issue is poor scaling then that won't be an issue for me as I'd be running 480p only.

Is the Xbox HDMI output native or are people using upscalers and / or transcoders?
it is 100% not native, original xbox only outputs analog video

xbox "HDMI" cables are just shitty ADCs connected with frail and weak wires
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

Kez wrote:Outrun Coast 2 Cost is awesome on the OG Xbox, 480p and widescreen support.
One of the few where even the PS2 version has widescreen & 480p. But you get DD 5.1. And the game is amazing in any case.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ASDR wrote:
Kez wrote:Outrun Coast 2 Cost is awesome on the OG Xbox, 480p and widescreen support.
One of the few where even the PS2 version has widescreen & 480p. But you get DD 5.1. And the game is amazing in any case.
Wait, does the Xbox version not support surround? Even when using the digital audio output?
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

I feel like X-Men Legends was best on XBOX. It was a Raven game, and I think Raven was fairly microsoft-centric at that point.

Also, I still use the DVD player on my XBOX, and you can use XBMC with the HDD.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

nmalinoski wrote:or Extron DSC 301 HD.
Is this actually not shit? I have not liked what I've used so far with Extron scalers. Not really looking for another scaler as I already have too many, but I'm curious.
maxtherabbit wrote:xbox "HDMI" cables are just shitty ADCs connected with frail and weak wires
This. Just using ypbpr cables is correct. I wish it had a VGA cable.