EXAーARCADIA [New Arcade Platform/Publisher]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
StarCreator

Re: EXAーARCADIA [New Arcade Platform/Publisher]

Post by StarCreator »

As someone who has cabinets in a public arcade (albeit one that doesn't really earn all that much), very interested in hearing about international sales.
drboom

Post by drboom »

Location tests are happening starting today - anyone going? Eager to her some feedback about Aka To Blue Type R.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Just found out there's a new-ish arcade in my town that was a former pinball-only place. From the pics on google, they apparently have JP candy cabs so when I'm over this cold I'll stop by there and plug Exa to the owner, if they're not already aware. I really want to play A2BTR, and this could be my ticket to do so.

e: it's one of those places with a hefty cover charge but all the games are on freeplay. Not ideal for me because I'm picky about games and other reasons, but I'll at least give them a visit soon.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

OmegaFlareX wrote:Just found out there's a new-ish arcade in my town that was a former pinball-only place. From the pics on google, they apparently have JP candy cabs so when I'm over this cold I'll stop by there and plug Exa to the owner, if they're not already aware. I really want to play A2BTR, and this could be my ticket to do so.

e: it's one of those places with a hefty cover charge but all the games are on freeplay. Not ideal for me because I'm picky about games and other reasons, but I'll at least give them a visit soon.
Not sure if I've heard of this place. Would you mind sharing exactly where it is?
rancor

Post by rancor »

drboom wrote:Location tests are happening starting today - anyone going? Eager to her some feedback about Aka To Blue Type R.
I went on Friday afternoon. The game is fantastic. If you like SDOJ, you're going to love this. There were just .... other factors... of the loctest that I didn't like, and I'll go back on Monday to try again.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

StarCreator wrote:
OmegaFlareX wrote:Just found out there's a new-ish arcade in my town that was a former pinball-only place. From the pics on google, they apparently have JP candy cabs so when I'm over this cold I'll stop by there and plug Exa to the owner, if they're not already aware. I really want to play A2BTR, and this could be my ticket to do so.

Not sure if I've heard of this place. Would you mind sharing exactly where it is?
It's in central VA so a bit of a drive for you, the game list is probably not worth the travel.

https://www.decadesarcade.com/

e: welp since last week they've removed Gradius from the games list. Not sure I'm interested in going anymore.
kuze

Post by kuze »

Any loctests at round 1 in the states?
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

kuze wrote:Any loctests at round 1 in the states?
Those location tests, along with final release, will come later worldwide after the location test period in Japan.

Only Exa Arcadia will know when it is time for other parts of the world, like USA, Europe, Latin America, Asia, etc.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

Shou wrote:
kuze wrote:
schleichfahrt wrote:You're missing the card square that says "CAVE decided to unfuck themselves and are making arcade shmups again" :wink:
How cool would it be if we got a new Ikeda or Yagawa game on Exa?

Shou please make this happen!! :P :mrgreen:
8)
Ok, if you pull this off I'll open the wallet to rep St. Louis (I'm sure caldwert is already). :mrgreen:

Will need a new cab though, which is the obstacle.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Post by Shou »

We are in active talks with Round 1 Japan and USA. When there is something to announce, we will.
become history
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Post by Shou »

brentsg wrote:
Ok, if you pull this off I'll open the wallet to rep St. Louis (I'm sure caldwert is already). :mrgreen:

I'll leave this.

become history
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Did you censor a thumb ring holding the card out on the right side?
zak

Post by zak »

Shou wrote:
brentsg wrote:

I'll leave this.

:wink:
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

Shou wrote:
brentsg wrote:

I'll leave this.
Sneak some fine print into the contract that forces them to update their iOS games. :D
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

Shou wrote:
We are in active talks with Round 1 Japan and USA. When there is something to announce, we will.
I hope there is one for Round 1 in San Jose Eastridge Shopping Center because that place is closest to home in the SF Bay Area.

Otherwise, go talk with various barcades in SF as they are excellent spots like Emporium SF and Oakland.
drboom

Post by drboom »

Shou wrote:
brentsg wrote:

I'll leave this.

Yes, yes, yes!
KAI

Post by KAI »

The shmups revival, it's happening

Still waiting that Wolf Fang 2 announcement tho
Furtin72

Post by Furtin72 »

I'll leave this.

Image[/quote]

OH YES! PLEASE! :shock: :lol:
“The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.”
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

It's nightmare fuel, but it's the nightmare fuel of my dreams !
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

Today's the final day of location test for Aka & Blue Type-R at three locations in Japan, all established arcade chains including Taito and Namco. The amount of revenue obtained by those games should expectedly exceed many of the modern arcade games released so far thanks to no forced revenue share.

If any of you are actually in Japan and did have a playtest, feel free to share your thoughts on the latest build of Aka & Blue Type-R.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

rancor wrote:
drboom wrote:Location tests are happening starting today - anyone going? Eager to her some feedback about Aka To Blue Type R.
I went on Friday afternoon. The game is fantastic. If you like SDOJ, you're going to love this. There were just .... other factors... of the loctest that I didn't like, and I'll go back on Monday to try again.
That sounds rather cryptic and/or mysterious. So did you end up going back?
I noticed they had a picture on their site showing the 4:3 aspectratio without borders. Must be quite a challenge to implement that properly!
http://tanoshimasu.com/aka-to-blue/type-r/
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

I wonder if any of you actually tried to contact game developers behind any games you wish to see on Exa Arcadia?

I have actually have done that to a few games that I believe would be nice for the arcade platform. I am at GDC and there are plenty of booths to actually talk to the developers.

Yet there is no Exa Arcadia at GDC.

I can name a few games that are at GDC and informed them about EXA Arcadia as an easy to develop platform with emphasis on exclusive content and gave them the website link.

Developers with games I informed about Exa Arcadia at GDC (No Exa Arcadia machines yet):
(Game) - Developer - (Country)

Samurai Gunn 2 - Teknopants and Double Fine
Mutant Football League - Digital Dreams Entertainment
Spark 2 (working alpha title) - Knightmare Games (they built the game on the arcade cabinet as a prototype)
Neon Abyss - Veewo - China
Pacer - Blinx.tv
Neon Nemesis - Toasty Titan (ctrl.alt.GDC with unique 4 vs 1 dual screen arcade speedrun race game)
Relic Hunters Legends - Rogue Snail
HeadSnatchers - Iceberg Interactive
Zeke's Peak - 56K games (this developer is recreating various dual joystick tilt bar ball games produced by Taito America along with new twists, like Ice Cold Beer)
One step to Eden - Ristaccia (Fast paced grid battle like Megaman battle network)
Next Studio - China

Also before GDC, I contacted the creators of SkyScrappers and they informed me that they heard about it somewhat from the indie game community and asked me if I actually worked for Exa. I replied that I am a passionate fan and praised them for actually making a platform versus game that utilized both horizontal and vertical (Switch exclusive) orientations.

I would not be surprised if anyone else bothered to ask developers about publishing games to Exa Arcadia as wishful requests.
Last edited by MrJBRPG on Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
rancor

Post by rancor »

spmbx wrote: That sounds rather cryptic and/or mysterious. So did you end up going back?
No, I never went back. I had to tie up work and get ready for a trip back to the USA. I was the only one there playing the game, and there were two guys there from some company (EXA? Tanoshimasu? Namco?) That stood directly behind me the entire time, literally a foot or two away with very serious faces focusing intently on what I was doing. I wanted to goof around with the game and find out what button combos did, the vertical and horizontal limits of the ship, etc, but felt like I had to "preform" for these guys. So I did my best, died on the first boss, and peaced out. No idea what their intentions were, or why they were there but they made me a bit uncomfortable. I went to Namco with 20 coins ready to play, and I only played once. The game was really good, but ... I dunno. I didn't like the vibe. Intended to go back, but I had to finish things up in Japan and had no time.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

Edit 1 - Apparently, I learned that the forum posting may not be the proper place to give critiques on the web page development, and I only used it while the email contact was not functional, despite that ShouTime checks out the forum postings periodically. Now that the contact page actually works successfully, I can safely use the contact form to possibly address any bugs on the website as well as providing anything else appropriate to their business. I feel nicely relieved that I do not have to use the forums anymore for giving feedback on websites.

Original -

I have checked out the progress of Exa Arcadia website, and it is getting better with more content, especially the English translation of various updates that would be exclusive to Japan, such as another location test of Aka & Blue Type R from March 22nd to April 1st. I am also pleased that Exa Arcadia has released a news update that focuses on best display monitors that have little to no noticeable lag, along with details on screen refresh and input. worth a read:
https://exa.ac/en/2019/02/19/inputlag/

I have tested the contact page and sending them an e-mail through filling the forms finally works.

The About Us section as a nicely concise mission statement that attracts the eyes of their intended target of arcade enthusiasts, especially operators as the big aim. The only thing that somehow bugs me is under the Where we hail from section where there are images that when they are touched by mouse, they go black without any further interactions (example: links to the companies, very short description). Somehow, all the logos presented could benefit from having a white background to clearly present borders as well as little more interaction like maybe greyscale unless dragged by mouse to reveal color.

Press and Where to Buy have not changed much and that is to be expected until more news come about.

The Games and Partners tabs have not changed much and they are getting better at providing links to relevant areas of interest, such as developer of the games being linked on the game profile and games being linked on the partner profile. As expected, the games and partners deserve some more polish and the Exa Arcadia Team are working hard on delivering their best presentation.

Anyways, that is my latest critique for the website and I, along with other arcade enthusiasts, wish all of Exa Arcadia to be their best.

For those who wanted the original link to the Aka & Blue Type R location test form March 22nd to April 1st, the link is below:
https://twitter.com/exaarcadia/status/1 ... 6735197184
Last edited by MrJBRPG on Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cata

Post by Cata »

dude, you're gonna scare off anyone who has half an interest in this thing :?
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

If you can't geek out here where can you geek out.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

I just hope it’s aspergers, because its just creepy if it’s not.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

shmupsrocks wrote:If you can't geek out here where can you geek out.
QFE. Exa is worth being talked about. And small companies definitely appreciate free QA.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

Exa Arcadia has recently been spotted in Fightcade offline festival last weekend, filled with fighting, shmups and others.

I found a few videos that do showcase the Exa Arcadia cabinets as part of the background. There were only 2 cabinets, each featuring sets of 4 games in horizontal and vertical. The games showcased/tested are all shmups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB60uZZVB5g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PcdV7Z1OLM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEUGyqbc4M8

Here is the tweet that featured games available there:
https://twitter.com/exaarcadia/status/1 ... 3762657283

If any of you actually participated in the fightcade offline festival and had a chance to play any of the games, feel free to shout out below. Otherwise, we can patiently wait until new content arrives.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Fighting games? :o

I was hoping for such news, and it makes sense given the platform is targeting the arcades. I'm sure it would be more difficult to obtain licenses and such though.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles