Cloning the Gamecube component cable

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Lawfer

Re: Cloning the Gamecube component cable

Post by Lawfer »

Unseen wrote:
Lawfer wrote:Thanks, do you have any idea on the change(s) that 2.5 will be bringing?
One of the original plans was to autodetect Smash based on a checksum of the title screen and turn on a special a high-latency mode when it is detected. I'm not sure if that feature will fit though.
Thank you, so no fixes for the chroma issue thing then?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Unseen wrote:
Lawfer wrote:Thanks, do you have any idea on the change(s) that 2.5 will be bringing?
One of the original plans was to autodetect Smash based on a checksum of the title screen and turn on a special a high-latency mode when it is detected. I'm not sure if that feature will fit though.
make it fit!
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Lawfer wrote:
Unseen wrote:
Thank you, so no fixes for the chroma issue thing then?
Gamecube users can use Swiss which is now correcting this, though people using GCVideo on Wii are screwed for now. Is there a way to run Swiss on Wii? Well, that would solve Gamecube games (maybe can be done with Nintendont too), but Wii content will still have this problem.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

fernan1234 wrote:Gamecube users can use Swiss which is now correcting this, though people using GCVideo on Wii are screwed for now.
Yeah I was asking for Wii.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

fernan1234 wrote:Is there a way to run Swiss on Wii? Well, that would solve Gamecube games (maybe can be done with Nintendont too), but Wii content will still have this problem.
There is. That's originally how I got involved with the project, back when 576p was the new thing.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Extrems wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:Is there a way to run Swiss on Wii? Well, that would solve Gamecube games (maybe can be done with Nintendont too), but Wii content will still have this problem.
There is. That's originally how I got involved with the project, back when 576p was the new thing.
Nice. Is it for GC discs only, or is there a way to use Swiss on Wii in combination with loading disc images through Nintendont or another image loader? I'd love to use the 960i mode.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

You can't run any homebrew through Nintendont, it's all based on SDK patches.

You usually use a cMIOS and a special loader, but you can also use most of the same methods for unmodified GameCubes.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

That's too bad that it would involve burning discs. I was just posting in another thread about how I hate dealing with optical media. 960i + image backups would be the ideal. Maybe some day it can happen.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Huh? Burning discs? Swiss doesn't even support DVD-R's on Wii yet.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

fernan1234 wrote:That's too bad that it would involve burning discs.
Does your Wii even support DVD-R? From what I am reading only early Wiis can read DVD-R, most Wiis can't.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

I guess I misunderstood. I always thought that a custom MIOS was for loading GC game backups (as in, burned discs). I do have an early Wii that reads DVD-Rs, or at least that's what I remember when I tried that about 10 years ago. More recently of course I've only used Nintendont. I still have no idea how one would use Swiss on Wii while running ISO files though.
Last edited by fernan1234 on Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

The same as on a GameCube: SD Gecko, IDE-EXI, USB Gecko, WASP/Wiikey Fusion, WODE.

You're just missing the Broadband Adapter as an option.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Now I'm recalling some of those tools from the very early days of Wii/GC homebrew development. The Gecko stuff in particular. All that ancient stuff still has an important role to play, it turns out! I imagine they're hard to track down nowadays though.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

SD Gecko is very common and performs great in r634+ with alternate read patches.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

I'll look into it. Thanks for the guidance.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Extrems wrote:There is. That's originally how I got involved with the project, back when 576p was the new thing.
Just as a quick aside - an I right that 576p can only done at 50hz - i.e. with slowdown?
Kez

Post by Kez »

andykara2003 wrote:Just as a quick aside - an I right that 576p can only done at 50hz - i.e. with slowdown?
I don't think game speed is tied to refresh rate in many (any?) GC/Wii games.. the 3D ones at least. You will get a lower frame rate, but actual game speed should be the same.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Most games are tied to refresh rate, but some games with higher internal resolution in 50Hz aren't. Metroid Prime 1 is my favorite example.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

I ordered one of these SDGecko clones https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BH ... UTF8&psc=1 and will try launching homebrew/swiss on a Wii with it and a WW disc I luckily kept around.

It sure would be nice if Swiss was ported as Wii homebrew and could read games from the Wii's SD card slot (or even better, from a USB drive).
Last edited by fernan1234 on Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Extrems wrote:Most games are tied to refresh rate, but some games with higher internal resolution in 50Hz aren't. Metroid Prime 1 is my favorite example.
Shows what I know! Damn, that sucks.
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

GeneraLight wrote:Did you have WiiConnect24 activated before it was shut down in 2012? Leaving WiiConnect24 on has been known to cause Wiis to overheat and damage the GPU, causing the video artifacts.
This both really annoyed me (as I'll have to go check my two Wii consoles for it now), and blew my mind; I had no idea. Thanks a lot for sharing the info.

So anyone wanting to get a Wii Dual mod should probably double-check the existing video out, as that mod taps into the GPU (is that right)? Sorry if I've gotten that complete wrong.
Arthrimus

Post by Arthrimus »

coderkind wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:Did you have WiiConnect24 activated before it was shut down in 2012? Leaving WiiConnect24 on has been known to cause Wiis to overheat and damage the GPU, causing the video artifacts.
This both really annoyed me (as I'll have to go check my two Wii consoles for it now), and blew my mind; I had no idea. Thanks a lot for sharing the info.

So anyone wanting to get a Wii Dual mod should probably double-check the existing video out, as that mod taps into the GPU (is that right)? Sorry if I've gotten that complete wrong.
I definitely would. I didn't know that this was a possible problem but I did my own installation so I was able to move it to another Wii. If you send out a dying Wii for modification it would be a real shame.
plus ça change,
plus c'est la même chose,
The more that things change,
The more they stay the same.- RUSH- Circumstances

I install and sell mods at arthrimus.com | SNES RGB Bypass+Dejitter available now! | Watch me live stream my work on YouTube
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

fernan1234 wrote:I'll look into it. Thanks for the guidance.
SDGeckos are worthless. Heck, it looks possible to get one for 14 cents. :P
ebay is running a "Save $3.00 when you spend $3.01 or more." coupon code that should work on this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/113132953178
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

theclaw wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:I'll look into it. Thanks for the guidance.
SDGeckos are worthless. Heck, it looks possible to get one for 14 cents. :P
ebay is running a "Save $3.00 when you spend $3.01 or more." coupon code that should work on this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/113132953178
Depends on how quickly you want it. You could spend $0.14~$3.14 and end up waiting 2~4 weeks to get it from Singapore, or spend $7 and get it by Saturday.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Extrems wrote:Most games are tied to refresh rate, but some games with higher internal resolution in 50Hz aren't. Metroid Prime 1 is my favorite example.
So this game can be run at 576/60? That would be fantastic!
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

It runs in 576p50, but it's not slowed down.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

nmalinoski wrote: Depends on how quickly you want it. You could spend $0.14~$3.14 and end up waiting 2~4 weeks to get it from Singapore, or spend $7 and get it by Saturday.
I paid 6.31 and will get it Friday thanks to the wonders of Amazon Prime.

Already set up my MC card and booted Swiss. Now that I understand how this works better I realize I was dumb to think loading from the Wii's SD/USB slots could ever be possible using this. It's fully in GC mode at that point.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Extrems wrote:It runs in 576p50, but it's not slowed down.
Thanks - got to try this. Do you know where I can find a list of other games that can do this?
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

I only have a list of games with higher internal resolution in 50Hz. I don't care enough to look for game speed, unless it's blatantly sped up in forced 60Hz.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Thanks, appreciate it.