shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:50 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299, 300 ... 306  Next
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:23 am 

Dear people who never turn on the extractor fan in the bathroom when you go take a crap:

FUCK YOU.

Be a chump,
vote for Trump!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:25 pm 

Games that are 100% offline with no internet components purchased from a presumably DRM-free platform, that attempt to send outgoing packets across the internet, presumably to track when you play the game.

Made even worse when the game crashes itself when you block it with a firewall. I've run into an issue where some games crash when I use the built-in Windows Firewall to block them, and where they crash only when my second firewall is enabled to block them so I have to use either one or the other to block them and figure out which the game works with.

The other option is to yank the ethernet cable out of the computer before ever playing the games which seems a ridiculous thing to have to do to avoid what amounts to spyware in your games.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:03 pm 

when you send an offer of €38 on an eBay listing, and some time later get an automated mail telling you that it was sold for €36.

Hunh...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:02 pm 

disk failure
I was able to get stuff off the disk [it's an external], but it's still really annoying to see $80 vanish like that, and it was only a few months.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:06 pm 

Sumez wrote:
when you send an offer of €38 on an eBay listing, and some time later get an automated mail telling you that it was sold for €36.

Hunh...

Related: when you send an offer on a $100 item for like a dollar less* and it gets automatically declined.

*As a curiosity after other reasonable offers were auto-declined.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:17 pm 

eBay constantly "helping us" sell our shit by automatically turning on the "best offer" feature.

I just love it when people waste my time with bullshit low ball offers.

If I was desperate for money and wanted to sell it below the maximum value, I'd use the auction format.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:40 pm 

orange808 wrote:
eBay constantly "helping us" sell our shit by automatically turning on the "best offer" feature.

If I was desperate for money and wanted to sell it below the maximum value, I'd use the auction format.

I finally blocked a person that was using an offer bot. I'd consistently get offers from them for 40% (or lower) of my asking price. I like to have offers on but having auto-declines for garbage tier offers is a must.

I once had someone message me with some pretty nasty shit after their first 5 lowball offers were declined. I sent a reasonable counter at one point. I ended up blocking them and they made an alternate account to send me more nasty messages...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:27 pm 

Steamflogger Boss wrote:

Oh that's my pet hate, some people just take the piss.

orange808 wrote:
I once had someone message me with some pretty nasty shit after their first 5 lowball offers were declined. I sent a reasonable counter at one point. I ended up blocking them and they made an alternate account to send me more nasty messages...

hahaha that's trolling on whole new level

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:09 pm 

When you've been using the same mobile for years bc you don't care about the latest fancy stuff.
...but the battery is living its last charges, and you realize only now that it's not removable/replaceable.
So you basically have to buy a new f* phone right at a time you're f* broke but absolutely need one for work anyway. :x
Will pay attention to that not-so-little detail this time. Grr.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:37 am 

I’d recommend the LG G5 for your mobile needs, I upgraded to the G6 but I’ve still got mine as a gig/night out hone and it does day to day stuff at a decent speed The battery pulls straight out from the bottom, no need to mess around taking the back off. They go pretty cheap these days as well.
Anyhow, dug out the old crystal brick last night so I could re-start Silent Hill 2. Was astonished to find that the only input for the XB on the other half’s super-duper 65” 4K HDR TV is composite, no component, so it looks like dog shit. Then I remembered what a half-arsed attempt the joypad is – dpad isn’t too bad, but the face buttons are awful. I’d pay a decent price for a legacy Xbox that just worked with everything from XB-X360-XO and didn’t look like crap on a modern TV. I’m going to have to cave and find room for a CRT. I did a quick search and noticed that you can actually can an HDMI cable for it these days – anyone ever used one?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:37 pm 

Fat women who go out drinking every weekend and then cry about how much they hate their bodies. Like... you're never going to stop being fat if you let your friends drag you to bars all the goddamn time.
A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:48 am 

People who go in the passing lane and sit next to a car in the other lane can just fuck right off.

Xyga wrote:
When you've been using the same mobile for years bc you don't care about the latest fancy stuff.
...but the battery is living its last charges, and you realize only now that it's not removable/replaceable.
So you basically have to buy a new f* phone right at a time you're f* broke but absolutely need one for work anyway. :x

yeah, this non-removable battery shit kinda pisses me off
I miss my Galaxy S3 sometimes. It was the last damn phone I've had with both expandable storage and a removable battery. Even bought a second battery for it, so I'd just swap when I got home, the other would be on a battery charger.

nowadays, I carry a powerbank -- not nearly as good, but it works

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:47 pm 

null1024 wrote:
Xyga wrote:

I miss my Galaxy S3 sometimes. It was the last damn phone I've had with both expandable storage and a removable battery. Even bought a second battery for it, so I'd just swap when I got home, the other would be on a battery charger.

Fuck. I ran a Galaxy S3 up until about 4 months ago. Always relied on the swapable battery feature. Finally had to "upgrade", got the Samsung J7 Refine. It exhibits all of the same glitches and downfalls as the 6 year old Galaxy S3. Nothing runs better on the new phone, and now it is even more bloated with bullshit and constantly pushing shit software and advertisements on me.

Related pet peeve: all the stores (I went to 4) had the 16GB J7 Refine on display and advertised at $250. When I tried to buy it, they were like nope, we only have the 32 GB model for $300.
Had to buy the 32GB model even though I have no use that. The thing has expandable memory, why do I need 32 GB internal for $50 more?

Unrelated to phones, know what I can't stand? People who say "No yeah" as an affirmative. Or the inverse "Yes, no." when they just mean "No."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:18 pm 

Koa Zo wrote:
null1024 wrote:
Xyga wrote:

Fuck. I ran a Galaxy S3 up until about 4 months ago. Always relied on the swapable battery feature. Finally had to "upgrade", got the Samsung J7 Refine. It exhibits all of the same glitches and downfalls as the 6 year old Galaxy S3. Nothing runs better on the new phone, and now it is even more bloated with bullshit and constantly pushing shit software and advertisements on me.

Yeah I'm totally unattracted to the so-called crazy specs of smartphones when after all these years whichever model i've tried (only androids tho) still can't manage more than two-three email accounts smoothly, disconnect from data networks after a while when you're not using them, keyboard's still too small and tricky if you don't have a huge screen, hard to read in broad daylight and the battery depletes too f* fast if you raise the brightness to compensate, and many have shitty GPS reception too.
Won't even mention browsing the internet, I don't do that much anyway, it's just too small for that period.

In short they're not so good at the basics, which is too bad since it's practically all i'm interested in.

For one I'm in the camp of those who think foldable screens (turn into a small tablet) will be a massive progess, the device remains as portable as before when folded, and becomes much more useable unfolded, much more comfortable for typing/reading/browsing.
With foldables no need to go for a ridiculous 'phablet' bigger than your hand.

Mini-periscope optical zooms if they develop well over time, will also be good progress, that upcoming 10x from Oppo will probably suck but it's a nice step forward.
The camera side of smartphones is probably the only other useful function besides communication, assuming they become decent, and i'm in the camp of people who like a zoom in their compact/pocket camera.

I like when the hardware actually improves with real innovations, don't care about how much cores or ram they carry nor how thin the borders are or if the resolution is 4K, if that doesn't make a difference in practice.
I mean smartphones as they are - simple palm sized screen with everything flattened and stuffed behind in a limited/closed monolithic design - can't fully replace dedicated devices, so of course the hardware has to evolve physically.
Meh, the walkman era was more fun.

So I haven't looked for a new phone seriously yet but it'll certainly be low end. Just browsed a few reviews around and they're all so annoying, like entire pages dedicated to the damn screen, camera, performance in games etc. I've read several that didn't make clear if the battery is removable or not! and apparently the quality of reception of the various networks isn't much of a concern to the reviewers. Are they reviewing atual tech devices or are smartphones some sort of fetish ? :?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:10 pm 

WelshMegalodon wrote:
Fat women who go out drinking every weekend and then cry about how much they hate their bodies. Like... you're never going to stop being fat if you let your friends drag you to bars all the goddamn time.

It's much harder to put in the effort to lose weight when you could fill the void of depression with more alcohol ! It's not even the booze that gets people for weight gain, it's all the late night snacking afterwards along with the doing fuck all the entire next day.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:48 pm 

When that great Subnautica game suddenly decides to spawn you in a room with no way to get out. Game Over, have to restart from the beginning.

Great game, no kidding, though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:38 am 

Xyga wrote:
So I haven't looked for a new phone seriously yet but it'll certainly be low end. Just browsed a few reviews around and they're all so annoying, like entire pages dedicated to the damn screen, camera, performance in games etc. I've read several that didn't make clear if the battery is removable or not! and apparently the quality of reception of the various networks isn't much of a concern to the reviewers. Are they reviewing atual tech devices or are smartphones some sort of fetish ? :?

If the battery isn't outright mentioned as removable at this point... it isn't. Shit fucking blows.

For most random people, the screen, camera, and game performance are the most important things -- the screen should be nice since they're going to stare at it all day, the camera should be nice because smartphones have all but entirely replaced standalone consumer digital cameras, and game performance matters since that's probably what's going to be running on the phone most of the time.
Hell, connection quality doesn't matter so much, not when people are often just going to use WhatsApp over wifi anyway.

reviews in general suck though
I've given up on trusting paid reviewers for anything whatsoever. They don't have the time to examine a product, nor do they actually care, and that's long before we get into the whole "we're kinda sorta getting sponsored by the company so we can't review this item badly" thing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:34 pm 

Sharted super hard at work and had to go home and change since it bled through and got on my pants. What a shitty day.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:16 pm 

Lol gahhht damn. What did you eat last night?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:34 pm 

Cashew chicken, pulled pork sandwiches, and a protein shake. So I partially had it coming. I accept these things.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:08 pm 

Oh definitely. Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:18 pm 

This actually reminds me of another (albeit considerably milder) one I've been meaning to add: when you're alone at work all day, barely seeing another soul until the moment you need to pass gas, and all of a sudden you're completely and perpetually surrounded.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:58 pm 

Banned User

drauch wrote:
Sharted super hard at work and had to go home and change since it bled through and got on my pants. What a shitty day.

Yeah. Why don't you tell them about the prolapse, fatty?
This fucker had to kneel across the back seat of a cab, all the way home.

By year's end, he is going to have the ring of a red-arsed Baboon.

Your life is already over. You know it, I know it and the farm knows it.
For the love of God, will you not do the decent thing, once and for all?!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:07 am 

That would only please myself too much, and I'm all about having the worst possible time ever.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:36 pm 

religion man.. islam in this case.
cut a bit off my child's dick and he looked like stallone!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:42 pm 

BulletMagnet wrote:
This actually reminds me of another (albeit considerably milder) one I've been meaning to add: when you're alone at work all day, barely seeing another soul until the moment you need to pass gas, and all of a sudden you're completely and perpetually surrounded.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:38 am 

I get real irritated when people call a game "an X clone" or an "X ripoff" when the game they're calling a clone came out before it.

Seriously, it drives me nuts.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:17 am 

The price / scarcity of video game vinyl in general.
I passed on the OutRun one at the time, because I was a bit lean and convinced myself I didn't need it / wouldn't play it etc.
Now I'm sort of OK again, and the record costs a goddamn fortune. Even though one Soundtrack I did pick up (CVIV) seems to have doubled in price (at least going off Discogs).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:54 am 

/me goes to HG101 like a fool, looks at Ghost In The Shell (PS1) 'review'

literally 10 paragraphs about the entire history of shirow & character profiles
still going strong on para 11: "The franchise overall is huge." this review is where the phrase 'definite article' goes to die
para 14: oh, we might be getting close to some thoughts on the game?
(four paragraphs of assorted production history minutiae & anime fan gushing later)

"If you ask around, however, those who’ve played it will attest both to its quality and the fact that it has aged better than the majority of 3D games on 32-bit hardware." who's writing the review, John?

next graf has the SHOCKING gameplay revelation, along with some sections of bold text & Drudge Report style flashing red lights.

"It’s basically an arcade-style shooter with fairly simple controls: you move, jump, strafe, and launch power bombs (holding up to a maximum of three), plus fire machineguns by tapping shoot, or holding shoot to charge up to six lock-on missiles which are infinite in supply. All very conventional. What makes it unlike anything else is that you can walk on any flat surface, at any time, for as long as you like." [...] "think back to 1997 – how many other games allowed it? And those that did, was it all the time, or only as a temporary gimmick? Toy Commander for the Dreamcast, released years afterwards, allowed you to roam around the walls of a house, but only in certain vehicles and only when ramps permitted it. Looking at the TV Tropes page on the subject, few games utilise such an idea, and when they do it’s often in a limited capacity so as not to “break” the game. GitS in contrast is built specifically around the ability to walk on any surface, during all but two missions, with the level design reflecting this in intelligent ways."

I would have gone with Aliens vs. Predator's Alien mode released just the next year, myself. I also probably wouldn't have mentioned that I was researching an article for HG101 on TV Tropes.

next paragraph: here's some gripping reasons why GitS is not Jumping Flash or Descent. They aren't, because they are different in basic ways.
next paragraph: detailed breakdown of which stages are indoors and which are outdoors
7 more paragraphs that I can't adequately characterize due to extreme dullness
next: Merchandise section with gigantic picture of an obscure VHS tape case, which is in a superposition of being "the most interesting thing ever posted on hg101" and "the most hg101 thing ever posted"

Overall, I rank this review at 55.5 out of 5 Survivalists Preppers DIY Faraday Cage Kits. For the price, it is an expensive way to secure your computer from brain waves & ions, and the shiny material used flexes & (probably) tears easily, giving the impression it isn't high quality. But the price ($149) & uniform metallic color of the plastic material put my doubts to rest.

edit: on second thought this probably should have been in that reviews thread, hi everybody

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:46 pm 

I randomly played some video with Ryan Reynolds that popped up on my Facebook feed, out of boredom.

And apparently Facebook now thinks I'm absolutely crazy about Ryan Reynolds and won't stop giving me videos about him.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299, 300 ... 306  Next