PS4/Xb1/Switch shmups that support 4:3 aspect ratio

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Tokyo-J

PS4/Xb1/Switch shmups that support 4:3 aspect ratio

Post by Tokyo-J »

ORIGINAL TOPIC

Are there any PS4/Xb1/Switch shmups that support 4:3 aspect ratio?

"UPDATE" I have been answering my own question and will be creating a list of shmups that support 4:3 Natively on Next-Gen Consoles. I have tested this on a 4:3 Toshiba 36" VGA Monitor and both a Sanwa and Nanao 29 Inch Naomi VGA Arcade monitors.

Nintendo Switch Outputs and displays 480P 4:3 Natively

List of shmups I have checked out for 4:3 display

Aero Fighters 2
Aero Fighters 3
Alpha Mission 2
Angerforce Reloaded
Astebreed
Blazing Star
Darius Cozmic Collection
Danmaku Unlimited 3
Dimension Drive
Galaga (Namco Classics Collection)
Galaga 88 (Namco Classics Collection)
Ghost Pilots
Gunbarich
Gunbird
Gunbird 2
Ikaruga
Last Resort
Prehistoric Isle 2
Project RXN
Psyvariar Delta
Pulstar
Samurai Aces
Shikondo Soul Eater
Sky Kid (Namco Classics Collection)
Sol Divide
Strikers 1945
Strikers 1945 II
Strikers 1945 Plus
Tengai
Twinkle Star Sprites
Zed Blade
Zero Gunner 2

Playstation 4 Only Displays output in 480P correctly to a VGA Arcade monitor with a Extron IN1508 Scaling Presentation Switcher can edit in menu to 4:3
Xbox One Displays in 4:3 with Borders when set to 480P No Native 4:3 Display so far (Needs a Extron IN1508 Scaling Presentation Switcher) can edit in menu to 4:3
Last edited by Tokyo-J on Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:05 pm, edited 15 times in total.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
Jeneki

Re: PS4/Xb1/Switch shmups that support 4:3 aspect ratio

Post by Jeneki »

By that do you mean natively output a resolution that's 4:3? Or display a 4:3 play field with borders?
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Jeneki wrote:By that do you mean natively output a resolution that's 4:3? Or display a 4:3 play field with borders?
Games that will natively display 4:3
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
Mero

Post by Mero »

I doubt it.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

A better question is, which of those consoles will even output a 4:3 signal?
KAI

Post by KAI »

I think 4:3 died with the last gen. Last shmup i played who supported that was mushi HD on the 360.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

Unfortunately, with the exception for old arcade ports, there is very little to no shmups that support 4:3 native ratio.

Xydonia may very well be one of those games that employ 4:3 for gameplay and the rest with borders. I am not aware of any options for that unless the creators decided to implement them.

Please keep in mind that Exa Arcadia will pretty much be the latest and last upcoming arcade platform that supports 4:3 displays.
Last edited by MrJBRPG on Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Jeneki wrote:A better question is, which of those consoles will even output a 4:3 signal?
I figured out how to get the Xbox One to display in 4:3 VGA. Need to download Dangun Feveron and Battle Garegga to test out.

I apologize for the annoying kid in the video. But this worked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__byxRsYJ2w
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Playing XBLA on XB1 Ikraruga game displayed with borders.
Last edited by Tokyo-J on Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

HOLY CRAP!!!

The Switch Outputs 480P to 4:3 ratio NATIVELY. I can play Zero Gunner 2 Full screen on a 4:3 VGA NO BORDERS.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Just tried Arcade Archive Metal Slug and it also Displays in 4:3 VGA natively.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Just successfully got the Switch Working on a Jamma cabinet in 4:3 VGA. Ikaruga FULL SCREEN and Tengai glorious Arcade Perfect.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

You know there's an edit post button right ;)

Neat that Switch can still output 4:3, had no idea.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Grats Tokyo-J. Glad that worked out well for you. I had no idea.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Jeneki wrote:Grats Tokyo-J. Glad that worked out well for you. I had no idea.
This opens up a ton of possibilities. I was going to buy a next-gen arcade cabinet but no need now. Being able to play all of these Arcade style shmups and fighters in native 4:3 is amazing.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

List updated.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

Tokyo-J wrote:HOLY CRAP!!!

The Switch Outputs 480P to 4:3 ratio NATIVELY. I can play Zero Gunner 2 Full screen on a 4:3 VGA NO BORDERS.
I have a 640x480 VGA arcade monitor. I hooked up my Switch to it and it does not appear to display 4:3 ratio natively with Gunbird 2. I get borders and have to adjust my monitor.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

finisherr wrote:
Tokyo-J wrote:HOLY CRAP!!!

I have a 640x480 VGA arcade monitor. I hooked up my Switch to it and it does not appear to display 4:3 ratio natively with Gunbird 2. I get borders and have to adjust my monitor.
Are you playing in TATE Mode? For the Psikyo Shmups in Tate mode, you have to adjust the monitor settings but there are still bars on the top and bottom. In 4:3 Hori it is full-screen display. I need to make a list for full-screen Tate.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

Yeah, it's in Tate mode. I get bars on the top and bottom. It is not full screen for me.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

finisherr wrote:Yeah, it's in Tate mode. I get bars on the top and bottom. It is not full screen for me.
So far I have only encountered a few games that have full-screen Tate. Danmaku Unlimited 3, The games from the Namco Classic Collection, and Psyvariar Delta.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

To be specific. It doesn't output with borders. The resolution is just incorrect. The background wallpaper for the game is visible on the top and bottom in Tate mode and the verticle height looks too short. I hypothesize that the Switch is still trying to output 720x480 (or something similar) instead of 640x480. It's looks kind of jank on an arcade monitor unless you adjust the monitor size, which is a PITA. If anyone here has recommendations LMK. Unfortunately thinking about putting a PC in my cab as an option, second to the 360.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

finisherr wrote:To be specific. It doesn't output with borders. The resolution is just incorrect. The background wallpaper for the game is visible on the top and bottom in Tate mode and the verticle height looks too short. I hypothesize that the Switch is still trying to output 720x480 (or something similar) instead of 640x480. It's looks kind of jank on an arcade monitor unless you adjust the monitor size, which is a PITA. If anyone here has recommendations LMK. Unfortunately thinking about putting a PC in my cab as an option, second to the 360.
It displays the same way on the Switch screen when in TATE Mode. This has nothing to do with the Output and everything to do with display options. You can turn off the Borders. I did that and the game is playing in a small window. Other games do full screen. Majority of the horizontal shmups do full screen 4:3.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

Tokyo-J wrote:
finisherr wrote:To be specific. It doesn't output with borders. The resolution is just incorrect. The background wallpaper for the game is visible on the top and bottom in Tate mode and the verticle height looks too short. I hypothesize that the Switch is still trying to output 720x480 (or something similar) instead of 640x480. It's looks kind of jank on an arcade monitor unless you adjust the monitor size, which is a PITA. If anyone here has recommendations LMK. Unfortunately thinking about putting a PC in my cab as an option, second to the 360.
It displays the same way on the Switch screen when in TATE Mode. This has nothing to do with the Output and everything to do with display options. You can turn off the Borders. I did that and the game is playing in a small window. Other games do full screen. Majority of the horizontal shmups do full screen 4:3.
No shit. When this happens on a CRT displaying 640x480 it looks like trash. That's my point.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

Tokyo-J wrote:
It would be preferable to many owners of CRT monitors and cabs if the games allowed you to adjust the vertical height and width in-game.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

finisherr wrote:
Tokyo-J wrote:
It would be preferable to many owners of CRT monitors and cabs if the games allowed you to adjust the vertical height and width in-game.
Try a different game like one I mentioned on your monitor. You will see it displays in full screen 4:3 Tate. Danmaku Unlimited 3 or Psyvariar Delta. They both have screen sizing options.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Does the newest Switch shmup port of Anger Force support 4:3 output as well? Digging the Psikyo-ish vibe with the bullet patterns that it uses + the fact that it runs at a sliky smooth arcade-spec 60fps framerate is just extra icing on the cake indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:Does the newest Switch shmup port of Anger Force support 4:3 output as well? Digging the Psikyo-ish vibe with the bullet patterns that it uses + the fact that it runs at a sliky smooth arcade-spec 60fps framerate is just extra icing on the cake indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
I have to buy it. I will in the next day and let you know. Looks fun.
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

Jeneki wrote:A better question is, which of those consoles will even output a 4:3 signal?
PS4 has a 480p option, but I don't own a 4:3 TV.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

theclaw wrote:
PS4 has a 480p option, but I don't own a 4:3 TV.
Yeah, unfortunately, it does not display right when using that option.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:Does the newest Switch shmup port of Anger Force support 4:3 output as well? Digging the Psikyo-ish vibe with the bullet patterns that it uses + the fact that it runs at a sliky smooth arcade-spec 60fps framerate is just extra icing on the cake indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
I bought it and it displays fullscreen 4:3. Bars on the top and bottom display scoring and other info.