What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
null1024

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by null1024 »

SRB2 Kart [PC].
A buddy of mine recommended this to me.
It's fun. It's really fun. I'm not that great at it yet, but it looks great [well, it looks very clean at least -- being based on SRB2, it's still fundamentally a Doom engine game], feels great, and they attached some pretty cool tunes to each stage, and there's a bunch of stages.

currently struggling against the staff ghosts so I can unlock stuff
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Demon King Chronicle
Spoiler
Played through this over the last week or so. Wasn't expecting much going in but I ended up really liking it. It takes place on some sort of magical island where stories alter reality. The protagonist's goal is to find the ending to a book whose author died before completing it. There isn't a lot of dialogue, there aren't many friendly NPCs, and if you want to understand what's going on you have to piece most of it together yourself. The story is nice but Demon King Chronicle's gameplay is what really makes it stand out.
Spoiler
Enemies roam around on the map and approaching them triggers a battle, not unlike Chrono Trigger and Earthbound. Unlike those games, there's a delay of a few seconds between reaching an enemy and the beginning of a battle, and during that time other enemies will approach you and try to join in. You can still move around up until the battle starts, but you can't escape from any enemy who has already entered your battling radius. It's easy to get swarmed and find yourself facing certain death. The game is good about mixing up the ways you deal with enemies on the map too. Some enemies just wander around and you can pick them off one at a time. Sometimes they're faster than you and a fight is inevitable, and the goal is to make sure it happens on your terms. Sometimes enemies lie in ambush and then collectively rush you as soon as you initiate a battle. Sometimes the map is ultra crowded and fighting the enemy one at a time is impossible and you just have to do your best not to get overwhelmed. The actual battles are more or less standard JRPG fare and aren't terribly interesting aside from being fairly dangerous. The game features what is essentially the estus system from Dark Souls, where you collect empty bottles and can refill them with potions at certain points. Each bottle can either be filled with either a stamina potion which restores 100% HP or an energy potion which revives, clears status ailments, restores 25% HP, and 100% SP. Those are your primary means of recovery throughout the game. For me, most of the game's appeal comes from its blend of the short-term threat of getting swarmed and the long-term threat of running out of supplies. It feels nice and perilous when you're deep in hostile territory. Can't get enough of that desperate feeling when you haven't seen a save point for the better part of an hour.
Spoiler
The items and equipment are somewhat interesting too. You've got a weapon slot, an armor slot, and three accessory slots. Literally any item can be equipped as an accessory. Your characters get better at using their equipment over time, though they only gain experience with weapons and armor when they're in the proper weapon and armor slots. Weapons and armor often have different effects when equipped as accessories, and in some cases you might want to equip a weapon in your weapon slot so you can master it and then move it to an accessory slot. Equipment is by far the most significant part of your characters' builds, and the benefits from leveling up are relatively small. When you reach a difficult area, you're better off trying to sneak past the enemies to find a new item instead of grinding out a few levels.
Spoiler
It's thoroughly excellent. A strong recommendation to anyone who likes challenging RPGs.

A+

You used to be able to get the english version for free from Playism, but their store has shut down. Since it's a freeware game and since it doesn't seem to be officially available anymore, I've uploaded a copy here.

A few of the file names use eastern characters so you will want to have Unicode UTF-8 encoding enabled before you unzip the game.
Last edited by Vanguard on Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Jeneki wrote:Got addicted to Ikari Warriors from the Arcade Archives releases. Made it to the final stretch a few times, got #2 spot on the global score attack leaderboard.

I keep putting off playing new PS4 games because I keep getting hooked on these old arcade games (Moon Patrol, Elevator Action, Rygar, Double Dragon, etc).

I feel the same. To me, the PS4 is the least exciting console in years. There is very little improvement over the PS3 IMO and I can't seem to get excited about any of it's games. There is obviously some slight graphical improvement but it's just not enough for me to go back to spending $50 per game.

Part of the issue is that I already own more gaming content than I could ever hope to play in five life-times. I still have unopened PS3 games I bought 10 years ago.

Arcade games seem to suit me better now that I am older and have less time. I just play for 5 minutes here and there like I did in the old arcades. I don't have time to get engrossed in a modern game that thinks it's a movie.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Oh and I just started playing the Mario Kart arcade on Teknoparrot. It's the best version of a great series imo.

For those who don't know, Teknoparrot is a piece of software that lets you play PC based arcade games on a home PC. Because you are using the same type of hardware, you don't need emulation so you are essentially playing on real hardware.

Teknoparrot just allows these PC arcades to to be mapped to home peripherals instead of dedicated arcade wheels etc. it also defeats security dongles and other security measures.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

All the rotary run n' guns on the SNK 40th Anniversary.

Why does Victory Road have such a bad rap?
My lord, I have come for you.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Stevens wrote: Why does Victory Road have such a bad rap?
I'm guessing because of the NES/FC port?
Marc

Post by Marc »

Classicgamer wrote:Oh and I just started playing the Mario Kart arcade on Teknoparrot. It's the best version of a great series imo.

For those who don't know, Teknoparrot is a piece of software that lets you play PC based arcade games on a home PC. Because you are using the same type of hardware, you don't need emulation so you are essentially playing on real hardware.

Teknoparrot just allows these PC arcades to to be mapped to home peripherals instead of dedicated arcade wheels etc. it also defeats security dongles and other security measures.
I've got a Wii running one of the MKGP and F-Zero arcade games, that also seems pretty spot-on as far as I can tell.
Stevens wrote:All the rotary run n' guns on the SNK 40th Anniversary.

Why does Victory Road have such a bad rap?
Also playing Mario 3. I having not really played it upon release it's strange for me to compare it to World. It's definitely 'harder' in individual spots, but in the first four world at least, it's a big shock how short some of the levels are. It also manages to look uglier that World despite coming out after (All-Stars). I like, but having played NSMWD alongside, I don't get the apathy for the new one. There's more challenge there from the off, without touching the Luigi levels as of yet.

Over here at least, I'd guess because the coin-op was nowhere near as well know as Ikari, and the home ports, without exception, were absolutely terrible.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Marc wrote:
Over here at least, I'd guess because the coin-op was nowhere near as well know as Ikari, and the home ports, without exception, were absolutely terrible.
Yeah can't really argue with that at all. Home ports were all borked.

The arcade version is legit though. The addition of multiple weapons was a good idea and the soundtrack fits really well.
Plays well too.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Classicgamer wrote:
Jeneki wrote:I keep putting off playing new PS4 games because I keep getting hooked on these old arcade games (Moon Patrol, Elevator Action, Rygar, Double Dragon, etc).
I feel the same. To me, the PS4 is the least exciting console in years. There is very little improvement over the PS3 IMO and I can't seem to get excited about any of it's games. There is obviously some slight graphical improvement but it's just not enough for me to go back to spending $50 per game.
To be clear, I don't have any issues with modern games and still buy them. I just keep getting side tracked by old stuff. It usually goes like this: "Hmm, I really think I can beat my old score, I should get that done. DMC5 or Sekiro or whatever will come next, I swear." Then next week it's something else. :oops:

*edit*

Aaaand, Ikari Warriors 1cc! Got the #2 spot on the PS4 Arcade Archives score attack leaderboard (need to farm a few more enemies if I want to go for #1).
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Jeneki wrote:
Classicgamer wrote:
Jeneki wrote:I keep putting off playing new PS4 games because I keep getting hooked on these old arcade games (Moon Patrol, Elevator Action, Rygar, Double Dragon, etc).
To be clear, I don't have any issues with modern games and still buy them. I just keep getting side tracked by old stuff. It usually goes like this: "Hmm, I really think I can beat my old score, I should get that done. DMC5 or Sekiro or whatever will come next, I swear." Then next week it's something else. :oops:

*edit*

Aaaand, Ikari Warriors 1cc! Got the #2 spot on the PS4 Arcade Archives score attack leaderboard (need to farm a few more enemies if I want to go for #1).
Nice one man! I still can't get past the water/helicopter bit. I've taken a break for now as it's the one game in quite a while wherer frustration was threatening to get the better of me :lol:

I started Minit last night. Zelda crossed with old computer arcade-adventures for really short attention spans. Good fun actually.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Marc wrote:

Nice one man! I still can't get past the water/helicopter bit. I've taken a break for now as it's the one game in quite a while wherer frustration was threatening to get the better of me :lol:
I can get just a bit further than the water, but there is a bitch of a choke point just after I am still trying to work out.

Nice work Jeneki!

One of the major differences between Ikari and Victory is dying.

You die in Ikari? You can recover - although I did die in one spot (lost my tank to another) and then basically spawned on top of the tank that killed me. Good times:D

Die in VR, especially late game, and you (well me anyway) may as well start over. A 1 CC is certainly possible, but it seems (again just my inexperienced opinion) like its sword and red grenade or bust. I've also noticed a huge power difference between red and standard grenades. Bosses die way faster with red where as some (the snake/dragon thing) take forever with standard.

Anyone spend time with III?
Marc

Post by Marc »

The one annoyance with Ikari is how you seem to be able to de-spawn tanks by moving back even half a centimetre in the wrong place. There's one that sometime appears just before the first bridge and checkpoint, but I've only even seen that even two or three times, even if I don't scroll back at all so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Trying to convince myself that if I've got Ikari, I don't really need these other twin-stick shooters and can manage without the SNK Comp. :D
It probably won't hit the sweet spot on Switch, which is where I'd ideally like it, but no doubt I'll end up picking it up on some PSN sale while inebriated.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Got to the part where the faces shoot arrows horizontally, red grenade assholes are perched above, and those rocket sensors are all right next to one another in a narrow canyon of death.

Going to have to get back there, save it, and figure something out.

That shit is rough.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Rise of the Giant DLC just dropped for Dead Cells.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Ajora

Post by Ajora »

Member Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land for the Gameboy? What a delightful game this is. Excellent level design, fun enemies, lots of hidden secrets and treasure to search for, and a ton of personality. But I swear, the gambling minigame is rigged! Who doesn't love Wario?!
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

RE PS3 vs PS4 talk: PS4 blows the dick off the PS3. No contest. I basically never want to hook up a PS3. It's not an age thing either, I have a PS2 permanently hooked up. I think at this point, the only thing that would do it is wanting to do a Demons Souls run. Struggling to think of anything else good on the PS3 I can't or won't be soon able to play elsewhere.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Ajora wrote:Member Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land for the Gameboy? What a delightful game this is. Excellent level design, fun enemies, lots of hidden secrets and treasure to search for, and a ton of personality. But I swear, the gambling minigame is rigged! Who doesn't love Wario?!
I loved that game. It is sad that it never got a true sequel. The other Wario Land games went in a completely different, much less interesting, direction.
Steamflogger Boss

Continued my Dark Souls run last night. I ended up switching back to my Mace +15 for the Stone Guardians in the Royal Wood because I am impatient and it attacks fast for okay damage. Kinda funny how it works that sometimes a simple weapon like that is one of the best options I would want. Mainly just using Quelaag's Furysword though, especially on bosses.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Finished Nier Automata - still scratching my head as to where all the mainstream acceptance came from, but am also quite comfortable in considering it a much superior game to its predecessor.

Haven't "officially" started anything else yet, but did try the PS4 demo for Zanki Zero; this is precisely the sort of game I'm glad has a demo, because while it looked weird enough to catch my interest, it's also mainly a combination of two genres (real-time dungeon crawler and survival) that I have little affinity for. It's also by the Danganronpa folks, and much of what I played of that series frequently felt like they were trying too hard to be edgy and bizarre; thankfully, at least in the early going, while the scenario is still over-the-top and everyone's still weirdos, I cringed and rolled my eyes a lot less here. I'm also not huge on "ur ded lol" games, but the edge is taken off by the fact that you have some ability to manipulate death to your long-term advantage; on the whole, for me it's a solid "wait for the price to drop" title.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Joe & Mac returns. Didn't even know this existed until the Switch release. I'm a sucker for single-screen platformers, and while this doesn't seem to have the sheer variety and amount of secrets as a Bubble Bobble, it's a bit more smooth and speedy than, say, Zupapa. Good stuff.
Ajora

Post by Ajora »

I'm of two minds about the original Syndicate. On the one hand, the pathfinding sucks, it's uncomplex, the AI is idiotic, the vehicle controls are crippled, certain sections aren't on the vertical plane they appear to be on, and the economy is broken. Technically, I'm playing the game right now as I have the game running in a window, while I sit back and rake in my tax revenue. I'm apparently the most charismatic human being alive because for all the grievances the UK has with the European Union, they're "very happy" with me taxing them for 30% of their entire worth. Buildings obscuring targets is also a huge problem and has often resulted in mission failures beyond my control.

And yet for all its faults, I find myself always wanting to play more of this game, even though a part of me keeps telling myself not to. It's an extremely charming and immersive game and really gives you the feeling that you're operating within a living, interconnected world. For all his present misgivings, Peter Molyneux had some truly brilliant ideas in the 90s, and a lot of the charm and imagination found in Dungeon Keeper can also be found here. I don't know if I'm going to play through the entirety of it or not, but I have for the most part enjoyed my time spent with Syndicate, even though it doesn't actually play very well and is replete with problems. Hail Cobra.
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

You may want to give Brigador a look. It has a similar 80s neon-drenched completely-amoral cyberpunk theme, but instead of controlling trenchcoat cyborgs with bad pathing during a corporate acquisition, you're controlling giant mechs with tank controls during a planetary coup:

The soundtrack for this game is exquisite.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Been playing some OG Ridge Racer alongside Ridge Racer Revolution. Wasn't ever entirely familiar with how the handling changes between OG and Revolution, but I seem to have figured it out.

Fired up a bit of Sonic Advance and apart from how kinda bland the game seems... it's really, really, really rock solid. Literally none of the weird physics issues that plague the Genesis trilogy -- the worst thing I've seen is sometimes Sonic will stop dead in his tracks after a high fall. Stage design isn't too bad either.
The game's worst issue just seems to be ridiculously "meh" presentation.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Jonny2x4 wrote:Actually, the CPS1 entries of Street Fighter II does enforce a certain order to the opponents you face. It usually goes Japan (Ryu and E. Honda) -> Brazil (Blanka) -> U.S.A. (Guile and Ken) -> China (Chun-Li) -> U.S.S.R. (Zangief) -> India (Dhalsim). It was only with the CPS2 entries, when they added the four new fighters, that they made it more random.
So I finally had a chance to look into this. Using MAME 0.207 and the Japan 910214 revision of Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (the earliest known Japanese release, dated February 14th, 1991) I made just over a dozen attempts at the World Warrior title with Ryu, starting over any time I got a game over screen. Since __SKYe claimed that the button used to select your fighter also plays a part in determining who you face, I made sure to select Ryu with Jab every single time. My results were as follows ("-boot" indicates that the machine was closed, then opened again):
Spoiler
-boot

Blanka
Guile

Ken
E. Honda
Dhalsim
Guile

Dhalsim
Chun Li

Ken
E. Honda
Dhalsim
Guile

Blanka
Guile
E. Honda
Ken

-boot

Blanka
Ken
E. Honda

Chun Li
Blanka
Zangief
Guile

Dhalsim
Chun Li
Zangief
Ken

Blanka
Guile

-boot

Blanka
Guile
E. Honda
Ken
Zangief
Chun Li
Dhalsim
Mike Bison (Boxer)

Chun Li
Blanka
Zangief
Guile
Dhalsim
E. Honda

Chun Li
Blanka
Zangief

-boot

Blanka
Guile
E. Honda
Ken

Blanka
Guile
E. Honda
Ken

-boot
Blanka

Chun Li
Blanka

Chun Li
While some patterns in the order did emerge, they didn't much resemble the ones Jonny2x4 claimed were in place. As you can see above, Blanka -> Guile -> Honda -> Ken and Chun Li -> Blanka -> Zangief were the most common, but I did also get Ken -> Honda -> Dhalsim -> Guile twice and Dhalsim -> Chun Li a few times. There were also odd one-offs like Blanka ->Ken -> E. Honda.

As much as I'd like to increase the sample size of my little experiment (or at least repeat it with more save states so I don't have to fight Blanka so many times), I'm having a hard time believing anyone else will really care... there are countless mentions online of things like Guile's invisible throw in the early versions of The World Warrior, but nothing about the order in which opponents are fought. One can understand, I'm sure, why I took the order to be random.

EDIT: After a little more experimentation, and after having watched a few other recordings of The World Warrior on YouTube, I was able to identify at least three unique, fixed progressions:

Dhalsim -> Chun Li -> Zangief -> Ken -> E. Honda -> Guile -> Blanka
Chun Li -> Blanka -> Zangief -> Guile -> Dhalsim -> E. Honda -> Ken
Blanka -> Guile -> E. Honda -> Ken -> Zangief -> Chun Li -> Dhalsim

Ken -> E. Honda -> Dhalsim -> Guile seems to be a fourth, but Ken doesn't appear to come up as your first opponent very often. Dhalsim or Blanka are far more likely to be first. (EDIT: The full fourth progression is Ken -> E. Honda -> Dhalsim -> Guile -> Zangief -> Blanka -> Chun Li. I'm still wondering where Jonny2x4's order came from. It might have been introduced in Champion Edition or Hyper Fighting.)

A bigger takeaway here is that as a single-player game... Street Fighter II actually isn't all that fun. I get that it was in fact as much a single-player game as its predecessor (that the developers chose to concentrate much of their earlier balancing efforts on AI is enough to show this), I just don't think I find it engaging.
Last edited by WelshMegalodon on Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Marc

Post by Marc »

Back into Yakuza 0. Is there anything other than luck involved in the cat fight club?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

It's been a bit since I played it, but I recall a limited ability to cheer on your chosen fighter to increase her odds...other than that, yeah, pretty much just a gamble.
Steamflogger Boss

I pretty much just skipped that mini-game.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Got to be honest - I am really hype for the new Sam Sho.

Anyone else?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Decided I was in the mood for something lighter and brighter after Nier Automata, so plugged the Wii U back in and started Tokyo Mirage Sessions, which is known for 3 things: not really turning out to be the MegaTen/Fire Emblem crossover it was originally pitched as, having some stuff censored for the Western release, and being a Wii U exclusive. All of which royally ticked off pretty much everybody. :lol: Eh, whatever, so far it's as silly as you'd expect a game about magical warriors in the Japanese entertainment industry to be, but solidly-or-better executed all around; "Normal" difficulty feels a bit easier than SMT vets might want, those folks might prefer going straight to Hard.
Ajora

Post by Ajora »

Berserk, Castlevania and Demon's Crest all seamlessly mixed together. I feel like this is a video game that was made for precisely me and me alone. Controls, music, challenge, environments, secrets, Easter Eggs. Everything that exists is flawlessly executed. The difficulty curve hits a perfect sweet-spot. The bosses all kick ass. I can't think of a single thing to nitpick about this masterpiece. Odallus: The Dark Call is god-tier and you should all fucking buy it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/3194 ... Dark_Call/