Looking for advice on a new AV receiver

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bobrocks95

Re: Looking for advice on a new AV receiver

Post by bobrocks95 »

Not to throw another wrench in the works but I don't see any mention of HDMI 2.1 here. You don't always want to be waiting for the next big thing, but it's a pretty significant upgrade that we will be seeing starting in April with LG's new TV models.

Relevant features for gaming would be:
-4K 120Hz support if you're a PC gamer
-Variable Refresh Rate, again for PC gaming, or for Xbox One X or future consoles.
-enhanced ARC that can pass object-based audio formats and high channel count LPCM. This essentially gives you more inputs as you can use your TVs inputs as well.
-Auto Low-Latency mode switching to game mode automatically
-Quick Media Switching has the potential to reduce blackouts when switching between video resolutions with e.g. an OSSC. This could be big for 240p-480i games like Chrono Cross or SotN
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

That’s a very good point and something I was initially going to wait for. But Yamaha is going to update the 2080 to support eARC So in reality it doesn’t make much difference. Just means that I will be plugging some systems into the TV in the future. And the auto lipsync works well on this AVR so I don’t expect any problems from going console > TV > AVR :)
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Konsolkongen wrote:That’s a very good point and something I was initially going to wait for. But Yamaha is going to update the 2080 to support eARC So in reality it doesn’t make much difference. Just means that I will be plugging some systems into the TV in the future. And the auto lipsync works well on this AVR so I don’t expect any problems from going console > TV > AVR :)
This is a good point I forgot about! With an eARC receiver you can just save your TVs ports for HDMI 2.1 devices. It's a good middle ground if you don't want to wait for full HDMI 2.1 receiver support.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

ARC as it is, is super weird though. My 2018 LG OLED doesn't have eARC, and yet when watching supported titles on Netflix, it manages to pass a Dolby Atmos signal through normal ARC to my AVR, and the AVR even writes 'Atmos' on the front panel. Of course I have no idea if this works properly or not as I don't have atmos speakers. But pretty sure this wasn't originally supported in ARC :)

eARC has been a long time coming. LPCM 2ch or DD/DTS just isn't good enough anymore.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

bobrocks95 wrote:-Auto Low-Latency mode switching to game mode automatically
-Quick Media Switching has the potential to reduce blackouts when switching between video resolutions with e.g. an OSSC. This could be big for 240p-480i games like Chrono Cross or SotN
Don't these (at least QMS) need to be explicitly supported on both ends?
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

thebigcheese wrote:From the description, the extractor should support multichannel LPCM, but I'll know for sure once it gets here. Looks like the power supplies of the ones I already own use the same plug as guitar pedals, so assuming the new ones are the same it should be easy enough to find a daisy chain. A 5V output, however, might be trickier...
I've successfully used the extractor with 7.1 LPCM
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

energizerfellow‌ wrote:If you're willing to deal with factory refurbs, overstocks, and NOS inventory, Accessories4less is the best vendor out there for that kind of stuff on receivers.
So I just wanted to come full circle here. I posted this already in the recommendation thread, but the switcher and extractor just do not work the way I want them to. Possible that both are defective, but even when things did seem to be working it wasn't working right. So anyway, those are going back and I followed your advice and ordered a Denon AVR-S740H from Accessories4less. They have some amazing prices! Although that does have enough HDMI inputs for everything, I'm actually going to go through the switchers I already have since those don't have any issues with CEC and just use one input on the Denon. That way I get all the automatic switching benefits as well as functional CEC and ARC from the TV. Which, ultimately, covers everything I wanted. I do wish the AVR wasn't so deep, though. The Onkyo already sticks out of my shelf a bit, this one is an inch deeper. Bah.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

thebigcheese wrote:
energizerfellow‌ wrote:If you're willing to deal with factory refurbs, overstocks, and NOS inventory, Accessories4less is the best vendor out there for that kind of stuff on receivers.
So I just wanted to come full circle here. I posted this already in the recommendation thread, but the switcher and extractor just do not work the way I want them to. Possible that both are defective, but even when things did seem to be working it wasn't working right. So anyway, those are going back and I followed your advice and ordered a Denon AVR-S740H from Accessories4less. They have some amazing prices! Although that does have enough HDMI inputs for everything, I'm actually going to go through the switchers I already have since those don't have any issues with CEC and just use one input on the Denon. That way I get all the automatic switching benefits as well as functional CEC and ARC from the TV. Which, ultimately, covers everything I wanted. I do wish the AVR wasn't so deep, though. The Onkyo already sticks out of my shelf a bit, this one is an inch deeper. Bah.
We tried to help you, but you're very particular about how you want your setup to work (i.e. not using the receiver as an HDMI switch). Everyone has their own thing so good luck with the new receiver!