ACA NeoGeo Releases PS4/XB1/Switch

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BrianC

Re: ACA NeoGeo Releases PS4/XB1/Switch

Post by BrianC »

CRP wrote: Bomb Jack - Arcade Archives is out on Switch now :D
One warning, the music has been changed in a couple of stages to tunes from Mighty Bomb Jack. They seem to be using the game's engine rather than using the actual NES tunes. I don't mind since I like the MBJ tunes and they sound nice with the engine. The original game used music from an anime. PS4 version is like this too.
No_not_like_Quake

Post by No_not_like_Quake »

stryc9 wrote:Yeah Sengoku 3 is good. There's an emphasis on long combos/juggles rather than masses of aggressive enemies on screen, so if that sounds like your bag then you should find some enjoyment.

It's the most solid Neo brawler play-wise by a long shot IMO, but I still like a few of the others mostly for aesthetic reasons. I picked up Sengoku 2 because the art/sound design is badass, Sengoku 3 is pretty generic thematically in comparison.
Cool, thanks. Not used to brawlers with that kind of emphasis but I'm always up for learning new play styles.

I also remember liking Sengoku 2 when I played these games like a scrub years ago. Never played it seriously, though. Might pick em both up, actually
Marc

Post by Marc »

BrianC wrote:
CRP wrote: Bomb Jack - Arcade Archives is out on Switch now :D
One warning, the music has been changed in a couple of stages to tunes from Mighty Bomb Jack. They seem to be using the game's engine rather than using the actual NES tunes. I don't mind since I like the MBJ tunes and they sound nice with the engine. The original game used music from an anime. PS4 version is like this too.
Didn't know that, and I thought I'd played a quite a bit of this back in the day. Mind you, I still tend to think of the C64 soundtrack when I picture Bombjack.

Seems to be that non of the ACA Neo Geo games save local scores, but the AA titles do? Bizarre. I'm having to create interrupt data every time I play a game of PB2 in order to keep my scores.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Marc wrote: Seems to be that non of the ACA Neo Geo games save local scores, but the AA titles do? Bizarre. I'm having to create interrupt data every time I play a game of PB2 in order to keep my scores.
Vs. SMB doesn't. The high score table resets whenever I play a new game.
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

It's a shame these releases seem to have dried up on the AU PSN, has Prehistoric Isle 2 arrived on the US store yet? Apart from that, I've been very happy with the quality of the work Hamster has put forth for these releases. The display options, while obviously not quite M2 tier, are more than good enough to make the games look great on a flat panel. Pity the blur filter is tied to the scanline option, it's a bit too aggressive - the option of dialling it back a few degrees would be nice.

Anyway, not complaining, as overall the ACA NeoGeo releases seem to be the best ports to modern systems thus far - certainly more consistent than the PS2 NG Online Collections. My only wish would be to see Ironclad and Crossed Swords 2, but that's obviously not likely to happen.
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

stryc9 wrote:The display options, while obviously not quite M2 tier, are more than good enough to make the games look great on a flat panel. Pity the blur filter is tied to the scanline option, it's a bit too aggressive - the option of dialling it back a few degrees would be nice. .
That's heart breaking because I was actually considering picking up a number of the classics to add to my Library of Digital games. The scanline option would have given me the go ahead with the purchases... but hearing that there are blur filters tied to it is a huge turn off.

Still considering it though.... maybe if they go on sale at some point.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

A couple of AA games do have sharp and soft filters to go with the scanlines, but only a handful of games have it. Star Force is one of them, if I remember correctly.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

BrianC wrote:A couple of AA games do have sharp and soft filters to go with the scanlines, but only a handful of games have it. Star Force is one of them, if I remember correctly.
My interest are the NeoGeo Fighters.

Mainly Fatal Fury and Samurai Shodown games. I'm also trying to figure out which KOF 97 to get. Code Mystic's Global Match or Hamster's ACA NeoGeo release.
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

Shelcoof wrote:
stryc9 wrote:The display options, while obviously not quite M2 tier, are more than good enough to make the games look great on a flat panel. Pity the blur filter is tied to the scanline option, it's a bit too aggressive - the option of dialling it back a few degrees would be nice. .
That's heart breaking because I was actually considering picking up a number of the classics to add to my Library of Digital games. The scanline option would have given me the go ahead with the purchases... but hearing that there are blur filters tied to it is a huge turn off.

I wouldn't worry too much, they look great as it is anyway. I'm fairly fussy about presentation with 240p graphics and I'm very happy with the end result.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

stryc9 wrote:
Shelcoof wrote:

I wouldn't worry too much, they look great as it is anyway. I'm fairly fussy about presentation with 240p graphics and I'm very happy with the end result.
Which games do you own? Any feedback on any titles you picked up?

Currently don't own any of the ACA titles just the PS2 Fatal Furty Battle Archives Vol 2 on PS4 and Samurai Shodown V Special. Samurai Shodown V Special was well done. Loved the scanline options. In terms of accuracy of the port compared to the original MVS I wouldn't know.

On XBone I have previous ports on the 360 of Samurai Shodown II and Garou. I've never played Garou in Arcades but it plays very similarly to the PS2 port. I use to own AES Samurai Shodown II and 360 version felt spot on compared to it.
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

Shelcoof wrote:
stryc9 wrote:
Shelcoof wrote:

Which games do you own? Any feedback on any titles you picked up?

Currently don't own any of the ACA titles just the PS2 Fatal Furty Battle Archives Vol 2 on PS4 and Samurai Shodown V Special. Samurai Shodown V Special was well done. Loved the scanline options. In terms of accuracy of the port compared to the original MVS I wouldn't know.

On XBone I have previous ports on the 360 of Samurai Shodown II and Garou. I've never played Garou in Arcades but it plays very similarly to the PS2 port. I use to own AES Samurai Shodown II and 360 version felt spot on compared to it.
I picked up Pulstar, Blazing Star, Zed Blade, Last resort, Sengoku 2 and 3 and Mutation Nation. Unfortunately no fighters as I've retired my interest in them (and I have a shitload of the Neo Geo Online Collection releases on PS2). I'm no expert on any of the games, but Last Resort and Mutation Nation both look/sound/feel identical to the AES/MVS versions I've played in the past at least.

The rest I've never seen outside of ancient MAME builds, but they appear to be doing what they're supposed to :) I'm on PS4 btw.

If I was to hazard a guess, I would say these Hamster releases are probably going to be tighter than most of what's been ported in the past - given the erratic quality of the NG Online collections (World Heroes Gorgeous failed to emulate the line-scroll floors for example, inconsistent video options across the series - SS Rokuban Shobu and ADK Damashi had awful blurry filters you were powerless to change etc.)
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

True some of the neogeo ports we're really inconsistent on the PS2 But some were pretty amazing like Fatal Fatal Battle Archive.

The worst offender was SNK classics vol 1. The emulation and graphics were terrible on that one.

The worst I noticed about the other ports were the filters. Some games didn't play exactly like the MVS like the Last blade compilation but most played pretty close to it.

I wouldnt know or remember since the last time I played them was at the arcades ages ago or on the AES when I use to own one.

Basing this based on PC emulation really.

Actually I've been on the hunt to collect as many NeoGeo ports as possible on the PS2. I don't know why but I'm at a phase now where I'm eating up and buying compilation games.

I've skipped out on the most expensive ports that were badly done. I just got Fuun Super Combo in.... at least that one didn't have any filters.

The one compilation that hurt me most was Samurai Showdown Anthology as that one has filters :(

Even though I have these games on PS2 I want them on my current gen system. I think im just crazy lol
Marc

Post by Marc »

Ikari Warriors has appeared in the Switch shop. They have added a twin-stick option, which has improved the game no end, I remember being incredibly frustrated with the PSmini version simply because shoulder buttons were no substitute for the rotary stick.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Yes Ikari Warriors is nice. I never got into the sequels, but this one I like. Always loved the mass grenades and explosion chain reactions.

I picked up the PS4 version. The SNK 40th Collection is getting a disc release next week so I'm looking forward to comparing the two.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Cannonballs

Post by Cannonballs »

Do any of these on Switch have online play besides high score boards?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Cannonballs wrote:Do any of these on Switch have online play besides high score boards?
No, but many of these collections on PS4 also lack online. Street Fighter 30th Anniversary on all platforms and the Switch online NES games both have online play. I can't vouch for the quality of it since I haven't tried it, though. Still bummed at Capcom's stupidity regarding the JP ROMs for the SF 30th Anniversary collection (Capcom accidentally made them available for the Steam version and then acted like they were doing people a favor by taking them away).
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Jeneki wrote:Yes Ikari Warriors is nice. I never got into the sequels, but this one I like. Always loved the mass grenades and explosion chain reactions.

I picked up the PS4 version. The SNK 40th Collection is getting a disc release next week so I'm looking forward to comparing the two.
Update on this: After getting the SNK 40th Collection disc, I will be sticking to Arcade Archives for Ikari Warriors. Better screen options (PS4 40th Collection doesn't even have tate), more control options (dual stick and rotate button options), and online leaderboards on AA. I don't regret picking up the 40th disc though, as there are plenty of other games to play.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

SNK 40th only has tate in handheld mode on the Switch version. They even went as far as blocking the option out when the game is played in console mode.

Are you saying the PS4 version doesn't have dual stick controls? That's not the case with the switch version and I would be surprised if it was the case with PS4.

edit: I checked both Switch versions of Ikari. Arcade Archives has two main control options (twin stick and console style aiming with a lock button) and the option for seperate rotate buttons. SNK Anniversary doesn't have these, but does allow you to map the right stick's aiming functions to buttons.
Last edited by BrianC on Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

I ordered SNK's 40th Anniversary Collection and am waiting for it to arrive in a few days. I actually went to our Local EB and they didn't even have it in stock.

Originally I was going to pass on the collection but Time Soldiers was what did it for me. I loved that game on the SMS when I was a kid and I played it a few times at the Arcades and convenient store as well.

Looking to relive those memories!!

Anyone else have any impressions of the collection on PS4?
No_not_like_Quake

Post by No_not_like_Quake »

Time Soldiers arcade blew me away back in 1987. At that point, I was only casually interested in video games, renting a NES from a video store once in a while.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Speaking of Time Soldiers, was this a rotary stick game in arcades? I only remember seeing it once but never played it before. The reason I ask is diagonal shooting with dual analog seems a bit weird in this game, sort of off-center instead of a nice 45 degree angle, so I wonder if it's supposed to be that way.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Jeneki wrote:Speaking of Time Soldiers, was this a rotary stick game in arcades? I only remember seeing it once but never played it before. The reason I ask is diagonal shooting with dual analog seems a bit weird in this game, sort of off-center instead of a nice 45 degree angle, so I wonder if it's supposed to be that way.
It's a rotary stick game. I have seen one at Crab Towne.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Jeneki wrote:Speaking of Time Soldiers, was this a rotary stick game in arcades? I only remember seeing it once but never played it before. The reason I ask is diagonal shooting with dual analog seems a bit weird in this game, sort of off-center instead of a nice 45 degree angle, so I wonder if it's supposed to be that way.
It doesn't have the option to map rotation to the shoulder buttons? That's how I usually play any emulated game that uses a rotary joystick.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Specineff wrote:
It doesn't have the option to map rotation to the shoulder buttons? That's how I usually play any emulated game that uses a rotary joystick.
Not as far as I can tell, but I noticed that the aiming allows for more than 8 directions.