Bad Game Party

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Koa Zo

Re: Bad Game Party

Post by Koa Zo »

A couple good-bad 2-player games on JPN PS1
Gekisou Tomarunner or its sequel
and Love Love Truck
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

A good chunk of the Game.com library. Indy 500 even plays like one of their segmented LCD handheld attempts at a 3d racing game.
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

BrianC wrote: What's even more shocking is that the GB version actually plays much smoother.

hahaha That's quality .
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

Legend of Success Joe..Had the misfortune of spending big money on this many years ago, worst game on the Neo.
PFG 9000

Post by PFG 9000 »

Thanks for all the ideas. There are a good number of games mentioned here that I'm not familiar with, but I'll look into every one.

The original Street Fighter and Custer's Revenge are really good suggestions.

Checkered Flag on the Jag is not a terrible game. It was maybe the 4th game I got for my Jag back in the day, and I've put dozens of hours into it, even beating it once. It's just that the controls are awful, and for a racing game, that's a deal breaker. It's an easy Jag game to poke fun at.

Shadow of the Beast is an interesting one. It actually is kinda a bad game, because it was built to look nice, not to play well. I'm actually really fond of the series, probably because I started with the Lynx port, which actually is a good game. I could probably make a good challenge out of the Genesis port of the sequel, because it's ridiculously hard.

Cho Aniki would be hilarious. But that would mean I would have to buy a Cho Aniki game. Aren't they supposed to be kinda-okay games as far as shmups go?

The Marky Mark Make My Video game would probably be pretty awesomely bad. I'll definitely look for a copy.

I am actually one of the few supporters of E.T. on the 2600. I played it back when I was a kid, before it had this mythic reputation as the worst game evar. I remember it being quite playable and fun, by 2600 standards. And the fact that it was coded by one guy in something like 6 weeks makes it a pretty great accomplishment. I would only be using it at the party because of its unfair reputation.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Great call with Action 52, BrianC.

I definitely could see myself playing through that "thing" with some buddies while drinking. Just tons of WTF moments or, as The Nerd would say : "What were they THINKING????" Honestly looks like a perfect candidate for that sort of thing. with many "games" to try out and always wondering how they will fuck up : glitches on glitches, ridiculous control, bad art and design etc etc. Lots of stuff to laugh your ass off about
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Action 52 is pretty incredible - these were the first games these guys made and they had no time to design or write them. The kind of stuff that should never be released commercially - it's like someone's first time trying to draw a pony as a kid or something.

It evokes warm fuzzy memories of everyone's first time making a game. It also helps with self esteem - "I may be unable to make DOOM entirely on my own, but my half assed game is at least better than this shit!"
Marc wrote:And people, please stop it with the 'ET isn't that bad' stuff. It sucks and not even in a funny way. My friends would beat the shit out of my if I tried to force them to play that.
If you learn to play it, it's a top 10 2600 game. That's more denigrating to the 2600 library than high praise, however.

If you don't learn to play it, you won't be able to play it. And would foolishly go on thinking boring ass Pitfall is superior.

Pitfall. The game where you jam the joystick in one direction and tap a button periodically. With no randomized scavenger hunt and no jedi force powers and no tasty rat turds.

... I'm having flashbacks to that 3 minute long blue vertical shaft at the start of Metroid. Jesus, at least with ET every second is spent actively doing something.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

You can farm Geemers for health while working your way up to the other passage, the one leading to the gold shaft. Still one of the duller moments in the game, but it isn't nothing.

And Pitfall is definitely boring. Berzerk and Yars' Revenge on the same system are vastly more engaging, if only because the action keeps you moving.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Burn:Cycle is kinda amazing.

Image Image Image

I think it's available for Mac and PC too, but it feels right at home on the CD-i.
While it is actually not terrible (for an FMV game), it is absolutely adorably campy! Pure cliche edgy 90s cyberpunk mixed with terrible 3D artwork, and weirdly awkward stills of digitized people populating various areas as you move around in a prerendered Myst/7th Guest kind of manner.
Gameplay wise, it really just a point n click adventure with d-pad controlled "lightgun" segments.

Speaking of CD-i, I just randomly acquired this shmup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj0GFhxTsi0

Honestly, the platform is a must-have for bad games. I know suggesting the Zelda games is like suggesting The Room or Troll II for a "bad movie night" - everyone already knows them - and you already have them on your list, too. But they are really genuinely fun and entertaining to play!
The games are bad, right, but they are just playable enough to not be painfully bad. The collision detection is a disaster, but you can learn each area, and work around it, and the game just keeps littering those little classic FMVs all over the place, to keep up the constant fun.
I'm pretty sure they are actually objectively the best games on the platform.
Meanwhile, Hotel Mario is just an incredibly boring game that's super easy to play, but with stages that feel like they stretch out until forever. Not really worth playing it for the cutscenes.
PFG 9000

Post by PFG 9000 »

Sumez wrote:Burn:Cycle is kinda amazing.
I do have Burn Cycle, but I haven't played it yet. For a fan of underdog consoles, I've put a criminally brief amount of time into my CDI. I've heard Burn Cycle is among the best games on the CDI, and that's why I picked it up.
Sumez wrote: Speaking of CD-i, I just randomly acquired this shmup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj0GFhxTsi0
I've never even heard of Alien Gate. I'll absolutely pick that up if I see it. Looks like it's super cheap too.
Ajora

Post by Ajora »

BryanM wrote:Action 52 is pretty incredible - these were the first games these guys made and they had no time to design or write them. The kind of stuff that should never be released commercially - it's like someone's first time trying to draw a pony as a kid or something.

It evokes warm fuzzy memories of everyone's first time making a game. It also helps with self esteem - "I may be unable to make DOOM entirely on my own, but my half assed game is at least better than this shit!"
Marc wrote:And people, please stop it with the 'ET isn't that bad' stuff. It sucks and not even in a funny way. My friends would beat the shit out of my if I tried to force them to play that.
If you learn to play it, it's a top 10 2600 game. That's more denigrating to the 2600 library than high praise, however.

If you don't learn to play it, you won't be able to play it. And would foolishly go on thinking boring ass Pitfall is superior.

Pitfall. The game where you jam the joystick in one direction and tap a button periodically. With no randomized scavenger hunt and no jedi force powers and no tasty rat turds.

... I'm having flashbacks to that 3 minute long blue vertical shaft at the start of Metroid. Jesus, at least with ET every second is spent actively doing something.
My favorite Action 52 game is Alfredo. I've had more fun with Action 52 than I had with numerous so-called good games.
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

Add zerowing megadrive, view intro, move on
Marc

Post by Marc »

That Taito football game where you can kick the shit out of each other while playing. No skill, subtlety or nuance required whatsoever, but still strangely fun with a few similarly inebriated friends.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell