Freedom Finger

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
freshtop

Freedom Finger

Post by freshtop »

https://gematsu.com/2019/03/music-drive ... one-and-pc

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1005 ... om_Finger/
Freedom Finger puts you in control of rookie space pilot, Gamma Ray, as they embark on an intergalactic rescue mission to save lunar scientists who have been taken hostage by terrorists. However, Gamma Ray soon discovers their mission may be more sinister than they thought, forcing them to make difficult decisions that determine the fate of the innocent hostages.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hldldMBFIYQ

BulletMagnet

Re: Freedom Finger

Post by BulletMagnet »

Of course it's that finger. And of course Nolan North is in it. :P If nothing else it's certainly silly enough to get my attention, hopefully it turns out decent gameplay-wise.
FRO

Post by FRO »

I'd prefer not to have the blatant middle finger, but I do like the aesthetic, and the silly tone. Could be worth a look.
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

I wonder if the plot twist is that this game is part of a campaign to encourage middle aged male gamers to get their prostate checked. It's important, guys!

Anyway, the voice talent is there so let's hope it's a fun game.
MommysBestGames

Post by MommysBestGames »

I absolutely love the art! Just a matter of the gameplay itself being good, which only time will tell.
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
MommysBestGames

This is out. Anyone tried it? It's 20 bucks on Steam.. Wish it was on PS4 (as I don't own a Switch.)
Thinking about going in for it, but wondering if anyone else has.
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
MommysBestGames

I went for it and I'm pretty happy!
Read on and see if this turns you on or off.

*Good:
First of all, not only is the art unusual, the gameplay is as well.
It's a shooter, but there is a twist. You can punch things (interactive things especially, activate buttons) and you can grab things (grab almost any enemy, and use them as a weapon!).
- Grab things and throw them makes me think a bit of Triggerheart Exelica, but this is less bullet-hell, more Gradius in terms of flow.
And when you grab the enemy, you don't *get* their weapon, they *are* the weapon. It's a subtle difference, but it looks really cool (gameplay wise, it's still similar to Gaiares, or G Darius, getting enemy weapons).
You main gun is pretty weak, so grabbing enemies and using them is very useful.
I played 4 levels (I think there's 30+??), and the levels are hand made, not rogue-likes.
I fought a boss, and it was fairly interesting, and very "punch" focused, as the trash it shot out was invincible to my shots, (and blocked shooting the boss) but I could punch the trash back at it.
I personally love the art and style (check it out and see if you like it).
I also really like the hammy, silly story, that mocks American jingoism.
The art and details in the level design are funny, and new to the genre. It reminds me of the craziness in Parodius, but with a totally different flavor.
Also the soundtrack to me, is amazing, as it's a bunch of stoner rock songs I've not heard before. The levels also seem to be timed to the music (to a degree) wherein sometimes the music dies down, as do the enemy waves, but then all of a sudden the music cranks up and the bullets fly fast and quick.

*Bad:
Controls are a bit mushy, and the dev seems to know it, as you have a life bar. Yes, you may say "euroshmup garbage", but somehow I'm still enjoying it. Also you don't die when you bump into the environment (for the most part).
As per the "music coordation" of the level design, sometimes there's a bit too much down time in a few levels, where nothing happened (just a few moments, but it felt dead).

*Conclusion:
I got it on Steam in order to refund it, if I couldn't stand it. The controls still could be tightened up. I think specifically the "punch" and "grab" animations could drop the "warm up" portion, and instead jump straight into the attack part, and it would feel more responsive.

In general though, I plan on playing more and ultimately keeping it. It feels very much like a shmup "adventure", where I'm having fun seeing all the levels, and plowing through them, but I don't how much I'll replay it for score.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Coming to PS4 and XB1 later this month, with an update in tow for all versions. Still interested but iffy, I'd love to try a demo to see if I'd gel with this.