What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
EmperorIng

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by EmperorIng »

wgogh wrote:Getting back at gaming, maybe.
For now, aiming for 1 credit clear at Konami's historical japanese fanfic Genpei Touma Den

3 different screen styles, different paths and you'll have to do some currency/swordpower management.
(Most of the features were dropped in the sequel, for some reason)
Check out Kino's posts about Genpei Toumaden. He managed to clear it, IIRC. It's really a unique game, even if it can be janky in execution! There's something about the epic scope that's admirable.

He characterized the sequel, Genpei Toumaden Kannoni, as essentially easier, more flashy and colorful. They probably said "Big Mode was the most popular thing!" and made the game around it. So it loses the variety but I think for what it's worth it's a good action platformer, one of the better ones on a system starving for good platformers.

And hey! That pce cover actually makes the artwork for the final boss make sense! In the arcade flyers I thought he was some weird horse-head demon instead of Lord Raptor from Darkstalkers.
Sumez wrote:...Namco's? :)
Hey, to be fair, Konami totally ripped off Genpei with their own supernatural Japanese sidescrolling action, Getsu Fuuma Den. Even the same red-haired ghost lead! Where Namco goes, Konami follows? 8)
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

Sure, Namco... Don't know how I screw that up. Anyway, I'll look for that thread.
My only complaint is that the music is a bit repetitive.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Dug out the two Taito Xbox comps, spent a bit of time on Rainbow Islands, Gekirindan and New Zealand Story. Never made it any further than Arkanoid Island on RI, I didn’t even get that far last night between the horrible controller and stupid no-config reversed-button layout. Would love to 1CC this one day, but it won’t be this version.
Gekirindan pissed me off because it seems exactly the sort of shooter I’d really love, but for some reason, no matter what difficulty it’s set to, it goes to Game Over after your first death. Bummer, because I really want to play more of this.
Played a few credits of Arabian Magic, pretty good fun and seems a bit more casual than Capcom’s stuff. Growl is mad, it’s a bit wonky but I like the amount of enemies and mad weapons. Tried out Cadash due to all the talk on the side-scroller thread, but don’t hink much of that, especially in comparison to Rastan. The second comp is an embarrassment of riches, it’s just a shame it’s such a bare-bones job. They really need to get M2 on these games, they deserve to be ported properly.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Not sure about the Xbox version, but I found the PS2 version of Rainbow Islands on that collection completely unplayable due to input lag.
It wasn't visibly noticeable, but I normally have no problems reaching world 10 in that game, and I did much much worse playing this.

That said, Arkanoid Island can easily kill newbies, due to how fast you need to get to the top.
Especially the third round is often where I lose my first life playing the game - it's the really short one with almost nothing to stand on. My tactic for that is usually to just hurry to the right side, climbing up and using the platforms at the numbers as "checkpoints", and then taking it easy. It's better to wait around for the worst enemies to be gone than trying to hurry up and risk being forced all the way down to the ground.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The Taito Legends version of Rainbow Islands also has butchered music.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

To be fair, the vast majority of home versions do.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sumez wrote:To be fair, the vast majority of home versions do.
Not as badly as in Taito Legends, though the US NES music change was also lazy and even broke the music on one stage.
Last edited by BrianC on Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Just managed to finish Getting Over It with Bennet Foddy. Final time was 2h31m :)

Actually thought the game was pretty fun. Most people will dismiss it as some rage game but once you master the controls you really start enjoying it. Kind of like Umihara Kawase, the more you understand the controls the better the game gets (in fact, Umihara Kawase was one of the inspirations for GOI). Unfortunately there's no much to do after climbing the mountain once, speedrunning only goes so far. Getting Over It would REALLY benefit from a level editor.

Anyway, I'll clear it one more time then I'll move on.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Been playing a bunch of random SNES stuff, largely because it looked cool and had Mode 7 playfields in it. :lol:
a worrying amount are just Mario Kart clones, right down to the UI

* Uchuu Race Astro Go Go! is basically a top-down racer, despite the Mode 7 view. It also kind of controls really poorly. It's a real shame that I can't really bring myself to want to play this, because it looks really pretty. Wall collisions are absolutely horrific and bounce you every kind of direction and feel entirely broken, and as far as I can tell, one mistake absolutely destroys your ability to catch back up.
* Waku Waku Ski Wonder Spur. Mario Kart clone but on skis. Fairly fun, but in the limited time I've played it, I didn't do so well. Probably worth continuing to play, at least. It's got hills in it.
* Wings 2 is pretty neat, it's a WW1 flight game with a huge player sprite and no HUD or anything. The flight model tries to be somewhat realistic, but that also means that a lot of my deaths are entirely because I'd just fucking stall, rather than getting shot down. :lol:
* Street Racer is a very fun Mario Kart clone with really nice graphics and presentation, adds some Road Rash style fighting to the mix. Definitely fun. Remarkably surprised I never heard of this way back when.
* Battle Racers is a Mario Kart clone with licensed Bandai [?] characters. You can be shit like Kamen Rider or the V2 Gundam. It's fairly fun, but it's obnoxiously, needlessly choppy. It has absolutely no shame in being a Mario Kart clone, but that's okay.
* Cu-On-Pa SFC is a really neat 3D puzzle game where you rotate a cube so the color that's facing up is the same as the square you're standing on. Really, really cool graphics. It's kinda hard, I can't really grok getting the cube prepared to roll on just the right side I need yet. Still, it's very fun.

I know I'm missing one or two games that I played a bunch of [one of 'em was the sequel to Air Diver on the Genesis, and it's a lot more fun than Air Diver ever was, can't remember the name and can't be bothered to look], but oh well.

Oh, and I was playing Sonic 2 for Genesis.
I really, really, really, really wish Sega had ported Taxman's mobile version to PC or something.
because holy shit the Genesis Sonic engine just flat can't handle Sonic's speed, I'm kind of tired of getting stopped on random corners or Sonic ends up nudged in a wall or some absurd shit where the game feels like it's falling apart in my hands
Taxman's Retro Engine [used in S1 and S2's iOS/Android ports and Sonic Mania] is rock solid in comparison. Still has some of the same dumb shit [you can still die by moving into a crushing wall that was moving apart -- eg, you shouldn't have been able to enter it, but you did somehow, and now you're dead], but there are pretty much no issues with getting stuck on or in level chunks.

it's even worse in Sonic 3, since there are even fewer caps on Sonic's speed, and IIRC the way the game handles collision due to the size of the stages is also correspondingly less reliable
and I'm eternally annoyed that a proper re-release of S3 that isn't just the Genesis version is forever going to be in licensing hell or whatever, a port running on Mania's engine would be beautiful
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Ruldra wrote:Just managed to finish Getting Over It with Bennet Foddy. Final time was 2h31m :)
7.5 hours faster than me lol brb killing myself...

.. nah my excuse is idle time and letting other people try it and considering it a joke game that i just stream to my friends so we can laugh at each other's suffering.

The furniture stairs, top hat jump and bucket really slow me down still. The former two are annoying cause I know I shouldn't be struggling there.
My best time now is 55 min.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Marc

Post by Marc »

Ah man, Silent Hill 2….. I’ve tried to replay it sparingly over the years, as I have this morbid fear of loading it up and remembering too much, but it’s starting to occur this time. Good job I’ve never really gotten too far into 3 despite starting it a handful of times. I think unconsciously, I was saving it for this very situation. Chris, I might even have to consider Homecoming or Downpour, any recommendations on the least worst?

I’ve mentioned on another thread my dissatisfaction with the Xbox via Composite on an HDTV, this might actually be the only game that benefits from its smeared, ill-defined picture; I’ve removed the screen noise in the options, as essentially the TV is already performing that function. It’s the sound design though that’s utterly masterful – while playing downstairs with the lights out, even upon entering rooms where I was pretty certain what was waiting the ambient noise and occasional swelling of the music are still enough to make me feel nervy.

Also just realised that I’m an idiot - I picked up 2 for Xbox while completely forgetting I’ve still a full BC fatty PS3 at home.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Starting DMC 5. Overall, it's not bad, but I'm a bit disappointed anyways, it's clearly not as good as 3 or 4. The overall pacing is much slower, there's tons of "people standing there and talking to each other" cutscenes interfering for no reason, I'm really not a fan of the "your moves are tied to consumable items" thing, and I suspect technical limitations made them reduce the number of enemies at a time, since I don't think I've ever seen more than three at once.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Finished Etrian Odyssey Nexus. Took about 65 hours to complete the main game and 92 1/2 for 100% completion. Pretty solid overall, I'd rate it about as good as 4, maybe even a bit better.

The difficulty is on the lower side, I had two wipes during the main game. The postgame is a lot harder, as expected, but most of the difficulty comes from FOEs and bosses. The postgame random encounters are only slightly stronger than main game random encounters. It's a big letdown after seeing how good the random encounters in 4's sixth stratum were.

I think I said this before, but the dungeon design is very puzzle-heavy. It's not a bad thing but I'd have liked a few more proper labyrinths with exploration for exploration's sake. There's way more content than the other games in the series, with 14 main dungeons and tons of smaller side dungeons.

Subclassing is back, but it's even more conservative than 4's subclassing. Most of the time you just pick a subclass that has usable passives for your class. Sub nightseeker for a 14% chance to attack twice against enemies with ailments. Sub gunner for a 9% chance to attack twice every turn. Sub protector for a bit more defense. It's boring! There's still a lot of room for interesting teambuilding since there are 19 classes and most of most of them are good, but I miss the insanity you could pull of with 3's subclassing.

There are two superbosses this time. The first one drops the item you need to make the ame no habakiri, which means you actually get to use it for something. The first superboss is probably the hardest enemy in the game, she's sort of like a more intuitive version of the Abyssal God. She's more random and more difficult at night, like the Ur Child. The second superboss is easier than the first, he's not a pushover, but if you reach him you should be able to beat him. Neither is too demanding in terms of team composition, you definitely want a way to stop elemental attacks (so either a protector main class or zodiac subclass) but beyond that, just a regular team with strong offense and defense should be fine. There dinogator/muckdile from EO2 is back as a special, hidden FOE that might as well be a third superboss. Unlike the other two, he absolutely needs to be locked down in some way. Gunner seems to be the best class against him since they've got head snipe, riot gun, and high elemental damage. A party of 5 gunners should be able to beat him effortlessly.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Couple of additional Automata thoughts as I get further in:

- The side quests seem at least somewhat more interesting overall this time; the basic ingredients aren't too different, but they're less grindy and tend to have at least some semblance of an interesting side story to make them worth finishing. You're also pretty free to accept and complete both them and story missions whenever you want, so you can progress or fart around depending on your mood.

- I'm also pleasantly surprised at how many nooks and crannies that seem inaccessible at a glance can be accessed with your "normal" moveset if you try it from an odd angle; a few places are obviously blocked off and others I haven't been able to figure a way into, but generally I'm pleased with the ability to roam. The one drawback is that if you enter an area you're not supposed to and get one-shotted out of nowhere the Dark Souls-esque "retrieve your body or lose stuff", while not super-strict, still sucks when you try to track it down only to get surprise one-shotted again and lose it permanently.

- Most of the chitchat about 2B has inevitably been about the badonkadonk, but honestly I'm most struck by how stylish her movements are; running around the landscape reminds me of Amaterasu from Okami, as just watching her move with impossible grace both in and out of battle makes the copious wandering a lot more tolerable.

- 9S, for his part, is fine as an AI ally, but I find it very easy to confuse him and 2B in the heat of battle; both of them are even surrounded by an identical colored circle, couldn't they have at least made them different colors? I'm also not sold on either of their personalities yet; either one can go from super-serious to "screw the man" with no apparent rhyme or reason to it that I can detect.
Spoiler
On the bright side, I was pleased as punch to see Emil again, and twice as goofy to boot; thank heavens there's a bit of levity to be found here. I'm starting to understand why Yoko Taro always wears that silly mask.
- Still fooling around with the camera, and while it can still be painful, especially in tight spaces, I'm slowly working my way into a setup that's mostly acceptable. Again, I'm glad that they included so many options, but yeesh, I almost wonder if they're collecting data on the adjustments players make in order to teach their camera designers how to do it decently next time. Every time I spend more time in that menu I'm expecting a damn trophy to pop up. :P
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Vanguard wrote:Finished Etrian Odyssey Nexus. Took about 65 hours to complete the main game and 92 1/2 for 100% completion. Pretty solid overall, I'd rate it about as good as 4, maybe even a bit better.

The difficulty is on the lower side, I had two wipes during the main game. The postgame is a lot harder, as expected, but most of the difficulty comes from FOEs and bosses. The postgame random encounters are only slightly stronger than main game random encounters. It's a big letdown after seeing how good the random encounters in 4's sixth stratum were.
Would you say it's recommended to pick a difficulty above the default for this game? I'm always wary about that stuff, because while Etrian Odyssey is definitely at its best when it is challenging, I'm always afraid of tipping the scale too far to the opposite site, playing a poorly balanced game, and enforcing dumb grinding.
But then there's examples like Dragon Quest XI, where picking the harder difficulty is absolutely mandatory for getting the best out the game.

That said, I won't be playing Nexus for a while.. I did preorder the game, but I need to get through 5 first, I think.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sumez wrote: Would you say it's recommended to pick a difficulty above the default for this game?
I heard for the later EO games, the expert difficulty is closer to the difficulty of the earlier games and is the recommended starting difficulty. Newer entries also add a heroic difficulty which, if I read correctly, is expert without the ability to switch out parties or carry over stats to New Game+.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Sumez wrote:Would you say it's recommended to pick a difficulty above the default for this game? I'm always wary about that stuff, because while Etrian Odyssey is definitely at its best when it is challenging, I'm always afraid of tipping the scale too far to the opposite site, playing a poorly balanced game, and enforcing dumb grinding.
But then there's examples like Dragon Quest XI, where picking the harder difficulty is absolutely mandatory for getting the best out the game.

That said, I won't be playing Nexus for a while.. I did preorder the game, but I need to get through 5 first, I think.
Yeah, turn it all the way up to heroic. Or expert. They're the same thing except if you ever turn the difficulty down below heroic you can't turn it back up to heroic again. The highest difficulties in the 3DS EO games are comparable to the DS games if not a bit easier. I've always played them on the highest difficulty and have never regretted it. Though now I'm wondering if you couldn't turn the no-chemicals Warped Savior into something sensible by turning the difficulty down a notch. Normally he's too strict in terms of party composition and demands an absurd amount of grinding, while the weakened version is a big old anticlimax at the end of an otherwise amazing dungeon.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Man I've totally run out of steam on Eo2, think I got to floor 28 or something.
The fun completely dried up, battles take forever. I run from most of them now, 4 of my party are max level and I just want to get to the end. Cornered by 3 FOEs in a small area, no idea how i'm supposed to evade, forced to warp out.
Hurk!
Marc

Post by Marc »

Redout. If Fast RMX was an F-Zero crib, this goes for the more Wipeout side of things. Seems great for the initial hour or so, if quite difficult. Thinking about it, I never finished the last two or three cups on RMX, need to get back to that.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Just went up against the Dragon in Eo2.
Hexer set up for revenge spamming. Every other character with a full force meter.
Got creamed in 3 turns.
What's the point. It takes so fucking long to get there and set up. I know vanguard told me I can beat the game with my current party but it seems like the only way to do so is to spam the most powerful healing items, which will run out very fast.

Edit: yeah, had a look at Ur-Child and the strategies needed.
This is fucking dumb. Either I get a Dark Hunter too or spend forever farming Axcela II's and hope my protector can spam his force skill.. like what?
If i could walk away from the game without any negative internal nagging i would do it! in a heartbeat!
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Once you learn to ignore said nagging and play something you'll actually enjoy life gets so much better.

Off to the side, stumbled - once again! - into Ending A of Automata (I dunno, until the very end I never thought "wait, this isn't the last bit, is it?" If I had I would have mopped up a couple other dangly things first), and am now on the second playthrough; so far definitely a marked improvement over the first, though not enough that I'm failing to stop wondering where the near-unanimous praise for the thing came from, it feels to me like a "more deserving" cult hit than the original, but still very much a cult hit.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Life is too short to play games you find obnoxious.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Yuh. screw that game.
I've dropped it.

It's nice to point to that and say "yeah. this is my limit."
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

2's postgame can be a drag, especially all the directionless, unrewarding side quests. It's the only one in the series where I'd consider calling it quits after the main game. And after all, you did already beat the game, right? Saw the end credits and everything.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Obscura wrote:Starting DMC 5. Overall, it's not bad, but I'm a bit disappointed anyways, it's clearly not as good as 3 or 4. The overall pacing is much slower, there's tons of "people standing there and talking to each other" cutscenes interfering for no reason, I'm really not a fan of the "your moves are tied to consumable items" thing, and I suspect technical limitations made them reduce the number of enemies at a time, since I don't think I've ever seen more than three at once.
I started this one yesterday myself and clocked a few hours into it. Definitely irritatingly slow to start compared to other games in the series and I agree about the various cutscenes interfering for no reason. DMC games have always had a focus on the cinematics, but older games in the series did a much better job of balancing between them and the gameplay.

On a positive note, the combat seems pretty good though once things get going. I'm starting to get the hang of some of the new mechanics. Boss fights up to Mission 5 where I'm at have been solid.

The game progression so far has been absurdly linear. The series has always been pretty straightforward, but there's been literally zero backtracking so far. I also felt that forcing me to play as a new character a few missions in (with a completely different play style) was jarring. He's not bad after you get used to him but it's definitely the sort of gameplay mechanic I'd prefer to see as a post-end game mode (or a second/side campaign). I was just getting into the groove with Nero when they made me switch up.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Ikari Warriors. Trying to figure out if they’ve attempted to emulate the rotary controls – aiming seems to freeze occasionally if you attempt to go straight from one direction to another without sweeping the stick round. It could also be my pad, I’m using a terrible ‘officially licenced’ pro knock-off with massive travel on the sticks, but it’s still preferable to using shoulder buttons to rotate.

Controls aside, I managed to get up to the bit where it makes you ditch your tank should you still be in one, and start wading through water. I got promptly slaughtered, losing five lives in two minutes. Movement speed is reduced, all baddies are armed with red super-grenades with a huge explosion radius, and there’s bullet-spewing helicopters to really top it off. Not a lot of players on Switch though, I managed a score of 114,000+ which puts me in the top thirty on the leaderboard.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Marc wrote:Ikari Warriors. Trying to figure out if they’ve attempted to emulate the rotary controls – aiming seems to freeze occasionally if you attempt to go straight from one direction to another without sweeping the stick round. It could also be my pad, I’m using a terrible ‘officially licenced’ pro knock-off with massive travel on the sticks, but it’s still preferable to using shoulder buttons to rotate.

Controls aside, I managed to get up to the bit where it makes you ditch your tank should you still be in one, and start wading through water. I got promptly slaughtered, losing five lives in two minutes. Movement speed is reduced, all baddies are armed with red super-grenades with a huge explosion radius, and there’s bullet-spewing helicopters to really top it off. Not a lot of players on Switch though, I managed a score of 114,000+ which puts me in the top thirty on the leaderboard.
I'm considering buying the SNK collection just for the rotary shooters. Over all would you say its worth it?
My lord, I have come for you.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Stevens wrote:
Marc wrote:Ikari Warriors. Trying to figure out if they’ve attempted to emulate the rotary controls – aiming seems to freeze occasionally if you attempt to go straight from one direction to another without sweeping the stick round. It could also be my pad, I’m using a terrible ‘officially licenced’ pro knock-off with massive travel on the sticks, but it’s still preferable to using shoulder buttons to rotate.

I'm considering buying the SNK collection just for the rotary shooters. Over all would you say its worth it?
I'm playing the individual AA Switch release, convinced myself there wasn't enough on the SNK comp to justify £35.00, then paid £7.00 for Ikari along like a muppet - if the collection has the rotary sticks mapped to the second stick like this does it looks like I'll be picking it up after all :D
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The SNK collection for switch has very similar controls for the rotary games (with the rotary controls being mapped to the directions on the right stick), but has inferior sound emulation. It does have both the US and JP versions of the games, though.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Ikari really doesn't like you moving backwards, even slightly does it? Seems that if even a single pixel of one of your tank has displayed on screen, and you then scroll it off, it disappears, which is a pain. I've got the stretch up until the water section sorted, but still getting slaughtered there by merciless, pinpoint accurate red grenade throwers.