gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
superg

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by superg »

Niro starship wrote:Hey superg,
What is the reason the gscartsw lite v5.2 couldn't handle right the RGB scart cables with built in sync seperator?
^This is because the gscartsw lite v5.2 has a built in sync cleaning function on the dual SCART outputs? If this is the case didn't a switch on/off added to the gscartsw for the incorporated sync separator circuit that achieves CSYNC on the output?
gscartsw can handle clean sync output from LM1881 and similar regardless of sync regeneration switch setting. But if you care about quality and latency (you probably do) you will want to keep your processing circuits to minimum. Usually you don't need clean sync, you will know when you do. And even when you do you should use gscartsw implementation instead as it's super fast.
Niro starship wrote: P.S. My ps2 console outputs a green picture when I a dvd movie is played. Does your gscartsw solves this kind of issue?
Has nothing to do with the switch. As far as I remember, some modchips have a fix for that in chip menu.
xlom3000 wrote:Do the HD Retrovision cables work well with the gcompsw when connecting to a PVM that supports said cables?
Yes, everything HD Retrovision does is up to specs and I've never encountered any problem when using their cables with my gcompsw.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Niro starship wrote:P.S. My ps2 console outputs a green picture when I a dvd movie is played. Does your gscartsw solves this kind of issue?
Nope. Looks like the PS2 automatically switches to YPbPr for DVD playback (luma on green, hence the green image), and you'll need to plop a modified version of the DVD playback software on your memory card in order to get playback in RGB.
Niro starship

Post by Niro starship »

Thanks for your advice nmalinoski. :wink:

I use the mcboot on my ps2 fat, I will work it out and I will definately add it to my ps2 mcboot menu, when I get some free time.

Although I think for watching dvd movies a stand alone compatible dvd player is recommended, after all.
aztecypher

Post by aztecypher »

Any possibility of another run of the gcompsw 4:1?
superg

Post by superg »

aztecypher wrote:Any possibility of another run of the gcompsw 4:1?
I don't think so, older gcompsw already has some obsolete parts. Also maintenance of that version was harder than usual. There will be only 8:2 from now on.
iamchuck87

Post by iamchuck87 »

Anxiously waiting to preorder the new gcompsw :D
gtofreak

Post by gtofreak »

Now that it is offically March, can you give us a more specific estimate of when the gscartsw will ship. Thank you!
Aero-R

Post by Aero-R »

superg wrote:
radiokid wrote:Hi superg. My Gscartsw_lite suddenly stopped working. I’ve been using the same 9v PSU as usual, and have tested that the PSU is fine, and it is. When I plug the Gscartsw_lite in the LED doesn’t light up and no signals are passed through any of the inputs. I have it plugged into my OSSC and it is receiving no signal.

Any ideas? Is there something else I should be doing/trying.
LED is connected to Altera IC, it quickly blinks on startup (when you power it up) to indicate that it's alive. If you don't get that it means that Altera IC doesn't start. That means two things:
1. There is 5V short as some IC is dead which affects 3.3V rail
2. Altera IC is dead
Both of these are a consequence of connecting something not up to spec: WindyGaming SUPERGUN, out of spec sync, other amplified audio stuff etc. Also it doesn't mean that it instantly dies after connecting the equipment. The switch can take some amount of abuse so it all depends on your setup.
Now, what can be done about it: If it's (1) I can fix it in most cases. If it's (2) I can't. I will need the switch here to diagnose what that is. PM me for the shipping address.
Hello superg,

I'm always reading this thread to be up to date and this message from January got me worried. I would like to give the best care and use to my gscartsw once it arrives to enjoy it for many years. I would like to ask you if there's any list of "things to avoid" in order to keep it working for years?

1.- Would it be safe to use the DIP switch while the gscartsw is ON and running signals, or would you suggest to operate the DIP switch only when the gscartsw is totally OFF with its power cord unplugged?

2.- I don't own (and won't own in the future either) any kind of WindyGaming SUPERGUN or things like these. My current setup is just a series of consoles all with native RGB output (non-modded) thru RGB SCART cables (all PACKAPUNCH quality ones from RetroGamingCables). Both my PlayStation 2 and Sega Saturn RGB SCART cables use Sync on Luma. Both my Master System 1 and Mega Drive 2 RGB SCART cables use CSYNC. I'm no expert at this but as far as I know that means I'm not using any built-in video sync separator, right? Would you say these 4 cables I mention are safe for the gscartsw?

3.- I was curious about what you said of an "ouf of spec sync". What could cause it? A built-in video sync separator, or has someone to mess further on with more complicated things to damage a gscartsw? (sorry, no expert on this, just trying to have the info to take the best care of your product).

Thanks in advance for your time and support superg!
Loth

Post by Loth »

We still on track for shipping the rest of the orders this month?
superg

Post by superg »

Aero-R wrote: Hello superg,

I'm always reading this thread to be up to date and this message from January got me worried. I would like to give the best care and use to my gscartsw once it arrives to enjoy it for many years. I would like to ask you if there's any list of "things to avoid" in order to keep it working for years?

1.- Would it be safe to use the DIP switch while the gscartsw is ON and running signals, or would you suggest to operate the DIP switch only when the gscartsw is totally OFF with its power cord unplugged?

2.- I don't own (and won't own in the future either) any kind of WindyGaming SUPERGUN or things like these. My current setup is just a series of consoles all with native RGB output (non-modded) thru RGB SCART cables (all PACKAPUNCH quality ones from RetroGamingCables). Both my PlayStation 2 and Sega Saturn RGB SCART cables use Sync on Luma. Both my Master System 1 and Mega Drive 2 RGB SCART cables use CSYNC. I'm no expert at this but as far as I know that means I'm not using any built-in video sync separator, right? Would you say these 4 cables I mention are safe for the gscartsw?

3.- I was curious about what you said of an "ouf of spec sync". What could cause it? A built-in video sync separator, or has someone to mess further on with more complicated things to damage a gscartsw? (sorry, no expert on this, just trying to have the info to take the best care of your product).

Thanks in advance for your time and support superg!
1. Yes
2. I think so. The rule of thumb is to purchase something proven. That includes SCART cables from RGC or retro-access, they know how to do it right. Get your consoles modded only by the reputable modders.
3. Definitely not built-in sync separator. CSYNC has to be properly attenuated with resistor for instance. Wrong wiring, etc, all kind of issues.
Loth wrote:We still on track for shipping the rest of the orders this month?
So far it's on track. Last week I got news from my manufacturer that first automatically assembled unit passed voltage tests successfully. I hope they will ship everything this week. I will start assembly and shipping the moment I get the units here.
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

superg wrote:So far it's on track. Last week I got news from my manufacturer that first automatically assembled unit passed voltage tests successfully. I hope they will ship everything this week. I will start assembly and shipping the moment I get the units here.
Great news! Were you able to add the "VHS mode" feature in the end (to assist with consoles with "funny" sync signals, like the PC Engine)?
Sumo

Post by Sumo »

coderkind wrote:
superg wrote:So far it's on track. Last week I got news from my manufacturer that first automatically assembled unit passed voltage tests successfully. I hope they will ship everything this week. I will start assembly and shipping the moment I get the units here.
Great news! Were you able to add the "VHS mode" feature in the end (to assist with consoles with "funny" sync signals, like the PC Engine)?
I'm pretty sure that's what the "Sega Master System sync fix (corrects skew on Sony BVM-D models)" means on the store page. Didn't know it affected anything other than the Master System though.
superg

Post by superg »

coderkind wrote:
I wouldn't call this VHS mode as I'm not sure whether it's everything that BVM covers in terms of functionality. It's very specific SMS fix and it is available. I didn't check PC engine though as I have only shitty pal version ATM.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

I've never used sync regeneration as the old model didn't have it so I had a question. I was trying direct Scart connections to the crt and find that the horizontal shift is about 2 pixels to the right for most systems, and I remember hearing the sync regeneration moves the video another couple pixels, does sync regeneration move them back to the left or further to the right? I'm just wondering if I can correct most of the shifts by just enabling sync cleaning so that I can skip an Extron in the setup for horizontal positioning.
superg

Post by superg »

Taiyaki wrote:I've never used sync regeneration as the old model didn't have it so I had a question. I was trying direct Scart connections to the crt and find that the horizontal shift is about 2 pixels to the right for most systems, and I remember hearing the sync regeneration moves the video another couple pixels, does sync regeneration move them back to the left or further to the right? I'm just wondering if I can correct most of the shifts by just enabling sync cleaning so that I can skip an Extron in the setup for horizontal positioning.
gscartsw doesn't introduce shift if clear sync (early models) or sync regeneration (late models) is disabled. Are you sure it's gscartsw and not something else? Usually the processing delay moves picture to the right but that should be adjustable on the TV side. Not an issue on PVM at least.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

superg wrote:gscartsw doesn't introduce shift if clear sync (early models) or sync regeneration (late models) is disabled. Are you sure it's gscartsw and not something else? Usually the processing delay moves picture to the right but that should be adjustable on the TV side. Not an issue on PVM at least.
My mistake, you're right, the picture is moved to the right 2 pixels and requires being moved 2 points to the left. I'd do it in the tv but since I also have some component connections and those don't move I was looking into a way to restore the rgb picture back to the left 2 points without tv service menu changes each time. So if I understand this right sync regeneration would not be the solution. I guess an Extron with H and V knobs is the only solution. it just seemed silly since it's just to correct a row of rgb connections which seemingly all shift the image the same way.

Does sync regeneration move it further to the right than the default 2 line or so shift that occurs?
bfbiii

Post by bfbiii »

I'm in the next batch of GSCARTSW deliveries. Thank you! I don't fully understand the SOG option that applies to the PS2. Would I still use a Sync on Luma cable recommended on RetroRGB?
https://www.retrorgb.com/playstation.html
Currently using OEM component cables, but I'd prefer to get the PS2 into the auto-switching system.
energizerfellow‌

Post by energizerfellow‌ »

superg wrote:I own Micomsoft xcapture-1, it captures everything but PC software is terrible.
So the Yuan capture cards (Yuan, Micomsoft, Startech, Elgato, others?) support not only C-sync and HV-sync, but SoG, sync-on-luma, and sync-on-composite over the DVI-I port without needing a sync stripper?

Only capture card company I'm aware of that explicitly mentions sync-on-luma support is Magewell.
superg

Post by superg »

energizerfellow‌ wrote:
superg wrote:I own Micomsoft xcapture-1, it captures everything but PC software is terrible.
So the Yuan capture cards (Yuan, Micomsoft, Startech, Elgato, others?) support not only C-sync and HV-sync, but SoG, sync-on-luma, and sync-on-composite over the DVI-I port without needing a sync stripper?

Only capture card company I'm aware of that explicitly mentions sync-on-luma support is Magewell.
xcapture accepts VGA signal so I had to split composite sync into HV sync. At the time I used two things for that, gscartsw v3.4 which could do HVsync configuration and micomsoft xsync device which is basically amplified sync separator. I never looked into streaming part etc, I needed that to evaluate signal quality and perform some of the tests for my switch. If you're interested in capture / streaming setup, retrorgb recently did a good setup guide: https://www.retrorgb.com/videocapture.html
Sync on luma is basically sync on composite so it should work on every device which supports composite sync.
pancakewizard

Post by pancakewizard »

Hey, is it too late to order the 8:2 comp switch for this batch or do you have to wait for the next batch?
energizerfellow‌

Post by energizerfellow‌ »

superg wrote:xcapture accepts VGA signal so I had to split composite sync into HV sync. At the time I used two things for that, gscartsw v3.4 which could do HVsync configuration and micomsoft xsync device which is basically amplified sync separator.
While the XCAPTURE-1 may only formally support HV-sync, I've heard various mentions in passing that Yuan cards work with csync (on the H-sync pin) as well, despite official documentation implying otherwise. I was also wondering of anybody has formally tested the "dirty" sync of sync-on-green and/or sync-on-luma/composite with any of the Yuan-derived cards. Bonus points if YPbPr actually works over the VGA/DVI-I port like it does on the Magewell/Datapath/Epiphan cards. I posted over in one of the Startech/Yuan threads and nobody has replied yet. I'd test it myself, but I don't have the required hardware right now.
superg wrote:Sync on luma is basically sync on composite so it should work on every device which supports composite sync.
I kind of figured.
superg wrote:I never looked into streaming part etc, I needed that to evaluate signal quality and perform some of the tests for my switch. If you're interested in capture / streaming setup, retrorgb recently did a good setup guide: https://www.retrorgb.com/videocapture.html
I've definitely seen it and I'm working on getting a bunch of stuff together to help Bob expand on that very page. Gathering info on things like how Asus's soundcards might have some performance issues is just a start.
xlom3000

Post by xlom3000 »

I've had good luck using my retrotink2x going into an elgato, then using OBS's scaling options to go up in size. It has some pretty good scale filtering options in it.

Will the gcompsw be going up on pre-order soon? How long after pre-order are you estimating units may start shipping out?
TheRetroLifestyle

Post by TheRetroLifestyle »

superg wrote:
energizerfellow‌ wrote:

xcapture accepts VGA signal so I had to split composite sync into HV sync. At the time I used two things for that, gscartsw v3.4 which could do HVsync configuration and micomsoft xsync device which is basically amplified sync separator. I never looked into streaming part etc, I needed that to evaluate signal quality and perform some of the tests for my switch. If you're interested in capture / streaming setup, retrorgb recently did a good setup guide: https://www.retrorgb.com/videocapture.html
Sync on luma is basically sync on composite so it should work on every device which supports composite sync.
Please I need help, when I try to purchase the gscartsw, shipping to Saudi Arabia is $9999, can you fix it please?!
Thank you in advance!
minorOffense

Post by minorOffense »

I’m just generally excited for the component switch. Been checking the forums everyday. With that all my analog devices will be setup will be fully run by “superg tech” with it and the gscartsw I’ve had for years now. Not fishing for an update I’m happy to wait. Just throwing out some good vibes into the universe. Keep up the great work it’s very much appreciated.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

xlom3000 wrote:Will the gcompsw be going up on pre-order soon?
Read the first page of this thread...
superg

Post by superg »

bfbiii wrote:I'm in the next batch of GSCARTSW deliveries. Thank you! I don't fully understand the SOG option that applies to the PS2. Would I still use a Sync on Luma cable recommended on RetroRGB?
https://www.retrorgb.com/playstation.html
Currently using OEM component cables, but I'd prefer to get the PS2 into the auto-switching system.
You don't have to change your cables or anything. SoG makes sense only for certain games which switch to "VGA"-like mode.
xlom3000

Post by xlom3000 »

ldeveraux wrote:
You mean the first page that was updated a month ago? Didn't seem like it was too much to ask if there was some new information.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

xlom3000 wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
You mean the first page that was updated a month ago? Didn't seem like it was too much to ask if there was some new information.
If that was too difficult, you could have looked on the previous page where that was already answered. Regardless, it's not coming until the gscartsw are shipped, so just sit back and relax.
Dazdigo

Post by Dazdigo »

SuperG also announces when the preorders open ahead of time as well.
superg

Post by superg »

I received most of the units today. There was some mishap with the SCART connectors, but that's the small amount. I'm starting to test the units, assemble the cases and shipping! By the time I do these, the rest will come. Shipping will be first come first served with a few exceptions (just to make things easier for me).