Vasara Collection (NSW, PS4, XB1, PSV, PC)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Magma Dragoon

Vasara Collection (NSW, PS4, XB1, PSV, PC)

Post by Magma Dragoon »

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/ ... _on_switch

This will include the two Vasara games, obviously.
Image Image Image Image
garrz32

Re: Vasara Collection coming to Switch!

Post by garrz32 »

fan bloody tastic :D
KAI

Post by KAI »

I still want to see that "HD" they are talking about.

Fanart cover Image
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

Also for Vita, Xbox One, Mac, Windows, and PS4 if you don't mind adding that to the thread title. AFAIK (could def be wrong) this is the first time they explicitly announced the platforms rather than just saying "consoles and PC".

https://gematsu.com/2019/01/vasara-coll ... -announced
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Wowsers, a physical release, albeit a limited one...if you'd told me a few years ago that this would be happening I'd probably have checked with the local asylum to see if anyone had escaped. :lol:

That being said, was there ever a non-Japanese language edition of the arcade games? If not, would this be the first translation either game has received, assuming they're not just leaving everything as-is and slapping it onto a disc?
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

I immediately thought of BulletMagnet, who has always spoke highly of Vasara. Fantastic news!
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

BulletMagnet wrote:That being said, was there ever a non-Japanese language edition of the arcade games? If not, would this be the first translation either game has received, assuming they're not just leaving everything as-is and slapping it onto a disc?

I don't think there is any other versions of these bar the JPN, not to my knowledge anyway.

I would be happy with both games being "slapped" on a disc as is. Fingers crossed they don't make an arse of it.
louisg

Post by louisg »

YESSSSSSSSS!!!
Humans, think about what you have done
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressrele ... cement.php
Playstation TV/ Vita TV support (includes 2-Player Co-Op);
this brings tears to my eyes somehow.
X - P - B
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

BulletMagnet wrote:was there ever a non-Japanese language edition of the arcade games?
The PCB has a dip switch setting to add English subtitles.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
BAD

Post by BAD »

Love this series.
badcp.info
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Really unexpected.

I'll wait to see the quality of the ports, before I let any enthusiasm show through.
louisg

Post by louisg »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Really unexpected.

I'll wait to see the quality of the ports, before I let any enthusiasm show through.
Yeah, I know the feeling. Though, those emulation packs are so much better now than they were a decade ago. I've been pleasantly surprised- out of all the stuff I have on Switch, the Atari Flashback and Capcom Beat 'em Up collection probably have the poorest emulation (compared to, say, M2's efforts), and they're still so much better than the better emulation packs I had for the PS2 (like the Taito Collections). I'm still scarred by that SNK pack where all I wanted to do was play Shock Troopers, and it was filled with herky jerky loading pauses every 15 seconds :o

Though, yeah, I do know with something like a shmup or fighting game that even slight input lag or an incorrect refresh rate can ruin your run if you get serious about it, so I can understand why people'd be cautious.
Humans, think about what you have done
FRO

Post by FRO »

Looking forward to this one!
Marc

Post by Marc »

louisg wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:Really unexpected.

Yeah, I know the feeling. Though, those emulation packs are so much better now than they were a decade ago. I've been pleasantly surprised- out of all the stuff I have on Switch, the Atari Flashback and Capcom Beat 'em Up collection probably have the poorest emulation (compared to, say, M2's efforts), and they're still so much better than the better emulation packs I had for the PS2 (like the Taito Collections). I'm still scarred by that SNK pack where all I wanted to do was play Shock Troopers, and it was filled with herky jerky loading pauses every 15 seconds :o

Though, yeah, I do know with something like a shmup or fighting game that even slight input lag or an incorrect refresh rate can ruin your run if you get serious about it, so I can understand why people'd be cautious.
It's more the lack of screen options on the CBEU collection that annoys me, and the ones it does have are pretty poor.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

So let me understand... Is a gaijin devteam handling the ports without any input whatsoever from the original staff? :(
X - P - B
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

Turrican wrote:So let me understand... Is a gaijin devteam handling the ports without any input whatsoever from the original staff? :(
I didn't catch it the first time but yeah, looks like a Brazilian company is the publisher and has the development rights. The question is whether they're developing the port themselves or if they're outsourcing.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Marc wrote: It's more the lack of screen options on the CBEU collection that annoys me, and the ones it does have are pretty poor.
Did you play it after the update that added more screen options and fake scanlines?
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

That Brazilian company Qubyte had published at least one game on Switch on their name, beat em up called 99 Vidas and it was quite solid game IMO. I guess they have also been doing ports for others as well, but no idea what.

Really hoping the ports will be good, but unless it's M2 doing the port, it's always uncertain what will be the outcome.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

Kobayashi

Post by Kobayashi »

Not only for Switch, but also for PS4, PS Vita, Xbox One, PC and Mac:
http://www.qubyteinteractive.com/games/ ... 92019.html
Last edited by Kobayashi on Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

Kobayashi wrote:Not only for Switch, mas also for PS4, PS Vita, Xbox One, PC and Mac:
http://www.qubyteinteractive.com/games/ ... 92019.html

This gift just keeps on giving, great stuff
KAI

Post by KAI »

StrictlyLimitedGames wrote:Some small details will make it look even better! However, this 3D mode will not be avaliable for the vita. The vita version includes an enhanced original arcade experience of the two Vasara games...

The vita version is a bit different due to the hardware. The vita port has been made by reverse-engineering the code from the arcade, and then rebuilt to be optimized for the platform. However, both Vasara 1 + 2 will be avaliable for all platforms.
So this compilation includes a 3D remake, both games enhanced, and the original unaltered games?
GSK

Post by GSK »

To my knowledge, this collection includes ports (not emulations) of the original games, plus a new 16:9 "mode" with new 3D assets and local support for 4 players.

The developers did receive the source code for Vasara 2 (all ASM, iirc) but I think they're mostly recreating them by eye.
Marc

Post by Marc »

BrianC wrote:
Marc wrote: It's more the lack of screen options on the CBEU collection that annoys me, and the ones it does have are pretty poor.
Did you play it after the update that added more screen options and fake scanlines?
I did, and astonishingly, there still isn't a single option that doesn't look like crap when docked.
M2 (as usual) have nailed it for me. The scanlines & smoothing option on the Ages titles looks about as close as you're ever going to get on and HDTV, to my eyes anyway.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

GSK wrote:To my knowledge, this collection includes ports (not emulations) of the original games, plus a new 16:9 "mode" with new 3D assets and local support for 4 players.

The developers did receive the source code for Vasara 2 (all ASM, iirc) but I think they're mostly recreating them by eye.
If that is true, then it would be a major step-up and be a 4 player score-fest since Giga Wing 2 for Dreamcast.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Seems the new mode is not only widescreen but procedurally-generated.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

That sounds strange. However, I guess it's this dev team's license to make their own endless shmup, using art motifs/ships from the Vasara games. As long as the emulation is good the extra modes can justify themselves (like Psyvariar Delta, which the Delta mode more than justifies the package).
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

I'd be happy with an arrange that eliminates the endless boss milking in Vasara 1. From my personal play I don't think they ever time out.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

Pushed back to summer this year before release it seems. The publisher didn't share any reasons why.