What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Obiwanshinobi

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Ghegs wrote:I like the first one well enough (shameless plug: We have a Time Attack thread on Rolling Start) but the game is notably different from its sequels, which are a tad more approachable, I feel. Also worth noting that the first game has a proper time attack mode, which the sequels lack, but then UC has once more.
I should be getting busy to the 1st one soon, thanks (could use a car game like this on my PC, as one bewildering glitch practically brought my progress in single-player Mashed: Fully Loaded to a halt. When trying to time-attack a reverse track, I found that analogue steering is inverted there. I'd nevertheless kept playing single-player campaign, until on of its events had taken place on a reverse track as well, with the same glitch present there.)
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Vanguard wrote:It's a very bad game.
But nowhere near as bad as the two 3D Sonics that came before it.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

Finally playing Alien: Isolation. I took a chance on the $5 PS3 version that's on amazon right now. Turns out the seller is shipping overstock Spanish versions. The game itself defaults to English so it doesn't really matter but now I have this random Spanish edition game box on my shelf.

I have played Isolation on an Xbox One briefly and the PS3 is definitely a downgrade graphically. However, it is still playable and looks fine.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

X-Morph Defense.

Godawful name aside, this is the greatest tower defense game ever made. It's a better maze-builder than Grid Defense. It's a better "give the player something to do during waves" than Kingdom Rush. It's prettier than any TD I've ever played AND it runs silky smooth on my aging rig!

The premise is you're leading an alien invasion of Earth. The aliens are like a cross between the Borg and Michael Bay Decepticons (minus the fart jokes and product placement) and the defending Earthlings have a near-future militaristic anime look that's straight out of Raiden IV. To assimilate the planet, your mothership drops giant vulnerable terraforming cores from orbit that come under attack by Earthling militaries. You play the alien consciousness who pilots a transforming fighter plane flying around the battlefield Herzog Zwei-style building defense towers and taking out strategic targets in the enemy convoy directly. Sometimes the Earthlings attack with a gigantic battlemech with individually targetable limbs and weapon systems. The ensuing urban chaos is rendered by an engine with full building destruction physics, including skyscrapers that can topple over, crush a convoy of tanks beneath them, and leave a permanent wreckage forcing the Earthlings to take a detour.

You have up to nine tower types available and all towers have the ability to generate a laser fence between them, forcing tanks (but not infantry) to take longer detours. Unlike Defense Grid, squares your towers occupy are very small relative to the roads and creeps so you have lots of room to be creative and turn a wide intersection into a convoluted accordion of death. Towers come in 3 cost tiers, but all of them occupy a specific role and you don't upgrade them. It's something I really like aesthetically because a line of 10 artillery guns carpeting a street with explosions are so much more satisfying to watch than one super duper artillery gun shooting one great big explosion at a time.

The plane you fly is a transformer with 5 modes that can be switched instantly. Enemies come in 3 general categories: ground, air, and heavy. So your fighter has a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none defensive mode that absorbs bullets to charge its super shot, three modes specializing in one type of enemy, and a ghost mode where you're invisible and intangible so you can concentrate on building towers and collecting extra scrap. Action/tower defense hybrids have always been a tricky balancing act and X-morph errs on the side of TD. Your ship's main guns aren't any more powerful than their equivalent tower and your charge up super shot leaves you vulnerable for a couple tense seconds while the enemy tanks fire mercilessly and squads of helicopters harass you. You aren't going to hold off the entire column by yourself, but you do need to surgically take out support vehicles like healing tanks or artillery that bombards your towers from out of range.

But most of all I've gotta gush about this game's engine! Like I said before you can easily have dozens of artillery shells blowing up tanks in big chunky explosions while buildings are being blown to bits and collapsing to the ground and yet with all this carnage and all these particle effects floating everywhere, the game runs like butter on my 6-year-old machine with a GTX 960 graphics card. A system that chugs when rendering too much smoke from a single missile strike in Battletech.

Finally on a personal aesthetic note, I hate how in so many games where you ostensibly play the bad guy, the writers chicken out and turn the "good guys" into the Spanish Inquisition or otherwise justify your evil actions. No so in X-Morph. The Earthling soldiers all have heroic voice actors and it's perfectly clear that when the aliens finish terraforming Earth humanity will go extinct. There's even a little dark humor at the beginning when the aliens are scanning the solar system and almost decide to take Mars before choosing Earth instead.

My only real complaint is the lack of extra keyboard controls to quickly select and place specific towers. Instead everything has to be done from a console-friendly popup menu on each individual tower. Also this is a game that mislabels "easy" as "normal" and your only clue is your score getting chopped in half at the end of every round.

This is the best Tower Defense made to date. And it has endless modes for replay value. I give this my highest recommendation.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

all our sanic and zeldo problems can be fixed guize, we just have to add them together
https://youtu.be/TrySshF4eVs

Also: Getting over it with Bennett Foddy
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
null1024

Post by null1024 »

been playing Ridge Racer Revolution
really probably should have picked up driving in manual before, but I drive an automatic IRL :P
Only took a few hours for it to click though. I'm not consistently better than before, but in general, I'm getting better times, and I'm able to control my speed better and recover from shit better than in automatic.

still haven't beaten any of the Extra races
I keep getting tantalizingly close, but I'll fuck up and that's it, it's gone. I'm also pretty sure you flat out can't beat them in Automatic mode with most of the cars, simply because your car isn't fast enough.
really wish I had a neGcon or a supported wheel, a lot of my screwups are from just not having enough turning precision with digital input
Also, the game has some bad slowdown at the start of races sometimes -- might be the slim PS2 I'm running the game on. Still haven't looked into getting my fat's disc drive fixed, and someone mentioned the fix in this very thread. :lol:

Tried emulating a neGcon with a normal DualShock in ePSXe, but the range of input was ridiculously narrow and I'd keep just slamming hard left/right, bleh. Honestly might have better luck with a flight stick, but mine broke years ago.
Vanguard wrote: Sonic Heroes is absolute garbage. It has a bad case of hold-forward-syndrome even by Sonic standards as well as what may be the worst implementation of character switching in gaming. You come up to the obstacle the characters say "this is a job for knuckles!" and so you push the character switch button and then you push b and then you switch back to Sonic and resume holding forward. You can't decide not to switch. There's one solution and they tell you what it is in case you somehow couldn't figure it out. The enemies are as harmless as they are in all Sonic games, perhaps even more so than usual, but now they have both HP and mercy invincibility. The end result is that mindlessly pushing the homing attack button has been replaced with mindlessly pressing the homing attack button three times. There is an extremely pointless upgrade system where you level up your guys so you only have to push the homing attack button once or twice. I suspect common enemies were given more than one hit for the sole purpose of justifying that system. There are four playable teams, all nearly identical, and they all have separate campaigns, which are slightly different versions of the same levels. You need to beat all four to see the final boss and real ending. It's a very bad game.

Heroes pisses me off because it seems like they learned from last time [just like from SA1 -> SA2]... and then proceeded to fuck everything up even more.
it's literally just a really awkward version of SA2's Sonic portions but with miserable combat designed to pad out the game's length [stages are like 6-10 minutes now, but they're not an interesting 6-10 minutes]
the rail system has been simplified so instead of even having a vague semblance of player input with the skateboard game style balance system, they're largely pure padding

like, having replayed a bit of it recently, it's not nearly as bad as I thought it was back when it came out, and it does some things right
but it's not a good game
Sumez wrote: This is more subjective, but I also feel that its presentation and worldbuilding was more in line with the fun and colorful classic Sonic games, rather than placing Sonic in a modern town with "real people" and edgy 90s surf rock. It's much more appealing to me.
have you actually listened to the Heroes' soundtrack
it's all blaring guitars, with even less subtlety than SA2
also,
TRY 'N REACH IN-SIIIDE AH MEEEEE
TRY'N TAKE MAH ENAGEEEEEEE
LET ME SHOW YOU JUST
WHAT
I'M
MADE
OF

:lol:

also, I can't knock the SA1/2 soundtracks
Live and Learn could just straight up fit on Double Eclipse, it's classic. It's basically just something Gioeli would have sung for Hardline.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Sumez wrote:But nowhere near as bad as the two 3D Sonics that came before it.
I'm not very familiar with SA1 but I'd take the 2/3 worthless, 1/3 passable SA2 over the 100% worthless Sonic Heroes.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I liked parts of SA2, but I remember the camera angels being worse than the international version of SA1. SA1 is definitely buggy in any form, though DX was not an improvement over the DC version. I'm under the impression that SA2 and SA1 DX may have brought back some of the issues with the original JP SA1, but I'm not 100 percent sure on this.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Vanguard wrote:
Sumez wrote:But nowhere near as bad as the two 3D Sonics that came before it.
I'm not very familiar with SA1 but I'd take the 2/3 worthless, 1/3 passable SA2 over the 100% worthless Sonic Heroes.
If only SA2 has 1/3 passable :\
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

You guys are just too slow.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

For some reason I felt compelled to fire up R4 with the neGcon. I picked up the controller a few years ago for stupid cheap in a junk bin at Traders. I think this was the third time I attempted to gitgud with this thing. Past attempts always ended in failure and frustration. Ridge Racer games are usually such immediate pick-up-and-play games so I never had the patience to fail a bunch of races just to get used to a weird controller.

Well, I don't know what it was but this time the neGcon and I just clicked and everything began to feel instinctive. I was playing for several hours and having a blast. The next day I threw in Rage Racer and played a bunch of that. After that I read through Ghegs Racketboy article on NegCon compatible games before impulse buying Ridge Racer V and Revolution. I'm now packing my lunches to save up enough to buy Side by Side Special 2000 :oops: ughh... I think I have a problem here

edit: doh! err, yeah, I was in a time warp. It was crazy.
Last edited by scrilla4rella on Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

scrilla4rella wrote:For some reason I felt compelled to fire up R4 with the JoyCon. I picked up the controller a few years ago for stupid cheap in a junk bin at Traders. I think this was the third time I attempted to gitgud with this thing. Past attempts always ended in failure and frustration. Ridge Racer games are usually such immediate pick-up-and-play games so I never had the patience to fail a bunch of races just to get used to a weird controller.

Well, I don't know what it was but this time the Joycon and I just clicked and everything began to feel instinctive. I was playing for several hours and having a blast. The next day I threw in Rage Racer and played a bunch of that. After that I read through Ghegs Racketboy article on NegCon compatible games before impulse buying Ridge Racer V and Revolution. I'm now packing my lunches to save up enough to buy Side by Side Special 2000 :oops: ughh... I think I have a problem here
Man, RR5 still hasn't clicked with me. Like, to the point where I can barely finish a race.
I adore Revolution. I really wish I could play the RR1 and Rage Racer tracks but with Revolution's handling.
apparently the RR1 tracks are even there, but you can only play them in vs with system-to-system link mode

Also, "JoyCon"? Is it the one with the big dial in the middle [the JogCon] or is it the one that twists [the neGcon], because IIRC, the JogCon doesn't do analog for neGcon games.
As for the neGcon, all the Wipeouts, up to Fusion on PS2 support it.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

scrilla4rella wrote:For some reason I felt compelled to fire up R4 with the JoyCon. I picked up the controller a few years ago for stupid cheap in a junk bin at Traders. I think this was the third time I attempted to gitgud with this thing. Past attempts always ended in failure and frustration. Ridge Racer games are usually such immediate pick-up-and-play games so I never had the patience to fail a bunch of races just to get used to a weird controller.

Well, I don't know what it was but this time the Joycon and I just clicked and everything began to feel instinctive. I was playing for several hours and having a blast. The next day I threw in Rage Racer and played a bunch of that. After that I read through Ghegs Racketboy article on NegCon compatible games before impulse buying Ridge Racer V and Revolution. I'm now packing my lunches to save up enough to buy Side by Side Special 2000 :oops: ughh... I think I have a problem here
Wow. That is some futuristic stuff, finding a Switch controller years ago at a yard sale. ;)
Spoiler
I know you meant JogCon. Funny thing is that you could technically play R4 with a joycon since there are ways to use them with PC
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

scrilla4rella wrote: I'm now packing my lunches to save up enough to buy Side by Side Special 2000 :oops: ughh... I think I have a problem here
That's not a problem, that's the solution to the problem of not having the best PS1 racing game with the best controller.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

So nearly 40 hours in I finally got to the point where Octopath Traveller "got good".

The storytelling still has serious issues, but at least when you reach each character's final chapter you're bound to be invested in what happens, and the general atmosphere around these chapters, and the towns where they take place, also feels more fleshed out than the majority of the rest of the game.

The turning point for me, however, was around a few of the chapter 3 bosses, where the combat system finally evolved beyond just break'ing and basic damage dealing. At this point it's almost necessary to rely on various buffs and other skills, as well as understanding some of the intricacies of the turn/break system that wasn't clear to me before, due to how poorly that's purveyed by the game.
I occasionally hear people claim that gameplay doesn't matter in a story driven JRPG, but it's really amazing how much it can do to a generic RPG when the combat system suddenly isn't boring and repetitive anymore. I feel sad for people who played through DQXI without Draconian settings.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Gameplay was the best part of Octopath to me, by a wide margin. I really didn't care about the generic story.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Yeah, especially with most of the chapter 4 bosses it's actually really good. It really sucks that it took so long to get to this point though.
Steamflogger Boss

My guess would be they didn't want to scare people off. You know how games are these days...heh. The last optional boss is a banger, I think you will have fun with it. I refused to look up anything about it beforehand.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Yeah I like to discover things myself, too. Haven't looked anything up in this game so far, but I probably will eventually for the sidequests, as some of them are really obscure. (I love that they don't just give you a quest marker, though)

The only downside of figuring out your own strategy for the bosses is that the way they change mid-fight can cause a ton of wasted time for some lessons learned. Like H'aanits final boss which was otherwise fairly easy (despite being the first one I took on), it just completely obliterated me after getting into "red HP" due to its stun-effect making me unable to defend myself. The boss fights in this game have absurd amounts of HP, so that was probably like 20-30 minutes out the window there. :P

I found a couple of "secret" boss fights which have around twice as much HP as the chapter 4 bosses, and they seem to have a pretty cool reward. I'm pondering whether I should go try beating them before taking on the remaining ch4 ones.
Steamflogger Boss

Sumez wrote:Yeah I like to discover things myself, too. Haven't looked anything up in this game so far, but I probably will eventually for the sidequests, as some of them are really obscure. (I love that they don't just give you a quest marker, though)

The only downside of figuring out your own strategy for the bosses is that the way they change mid-fight can cause a ton of wasted time for some lessons learned. Like H'aanits final boss which was otherwise fairly easy (despite being the first one I took on), it just completely obliterated me after getting into "red HP" due to its stun-effect making me unable to defend myself. The boss fights in this game have absurd amounts of HP, so that was probably like 20-30 minutes out the window there. :P
A true rarity in modern game design.

Odds are good you will want to equipment upgrade for that final sequence and the best stuff does come from quests and stealing.

I lost probably about an hour (I didn't want to look and check) the first time I tried the true last boss and couldn't finish. It definitely requires a thoughtful skill layout (there are a couple skills you will want on every character if you aren't already doing that) and you will likely need a specific class in one of the groups because of the way the fight plays out.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Finished Wasteland 2. It didn't give me time played, but it took me five weeks of playing about two hours a day - around sixty to seventy hours. Time well spent in a genre I have spent very little time with.

Then I did something I have never ever done before - I started it over immediately with a new party.

Wasteland 3 is a day one purchase for sure.
My lord, I have come for you.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Ghegs wrote:
scrilla4rella wrote: I'm now packing my lunches to save up enough to buy Side by Side Special 2000 :oops: ughh... I think I have a problem here
That's not a problem, that's the solution to the problem of not having the best PS1 racing game with the best controller.
Oh shit! I didn't realize you considered it the best PS1 racing game :shock: . Looks like I need to pull the trigger on this sooner rather than latter. Really though, thank you for all of your great racing game resources.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

scrilla4rella wrote:
Ghegs wrote:
Oh shit! I didn't realize you considered it the best PS1 racing game :shock: . Looks like I need to pull the trigger on this sooner rather than latter. Really though, thank you for all of your great racing game resources.
Not only the best PS1 racer, it's number one in my Top 5 Racing Games of All Times -list. I've probably spent about a hundred hours just time attacking Akina Downhill in that game.

And thanks for the kind words! Hope to see you around Rolling Start as well.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Though as mentioned, I'm not a huge fan of Octopath's storytelling, I gotta give it points for all the narrative dogmas it manages to trample through without ever coming across as trying too hard, or using them for cheap points, as you could have easily expected from a JRPG.

Prostitution, rape, suicide, genocide, hard boiled revenge and betrayal, lots and lots of murders and backstabbing. If it weren't for all those cute sprites and the somewhat methodic approach to trodging through each story, this could have been pretty brutal.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I've finished Getting Over it With Bennett Foddy twice now.

Am I the god gaymer?
rhetorical question.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Just about to finish up Resi VII VR. Still a bit of a mixed bag, with the boss fights still being particularly tedious for me. It’s mainly due to the slow movement speed, though it’s pretty much perfect for the rest of the game, boss encounters feel even more awkward than those in the original games at times.

The big surprise was the boat section. With Resi games, I usually feel that the games lose a bit of their identity the further away and more fantastical they get from their opening location, but this was absolutely magnificent. Even with the reduced resolution it’s genuinely awe-inspiring to ride up to the wreck and start exploring from outside. Inside is grimy and claustrophobic, with the already limited ammo and health, the VR adds a real sense of panic (and outright pants-shitting jump scare) when legging it from safe spot to safe spot. I drifted off a little while following Evaline around the opening section, imagining a world where Konami had taken as much care and attention with a Silent Hill 2 remake as Capcom seem to have with the Resi 2 one, and added in VR support. Ah well, I’ll restart the original later.

And Yakuza 0. I really need to stop playing Yakuza 0.
I promised myself I wouldn't buy any more of those games. Then I find out that Judgement contains Fighting Vipers and Moto Raid. Sigh.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Blinge wrote:I've finished Getting Over it With Bennett Foddy twice now.

Am I the god gaymer?
rhetorical question.
Oh shit, someone else is playing this game.

After failing the Orange Hell climb and fallimg back to the blue slide some 20+ times, finally got past that part for the first time this morning. Currently at the anvil jump, annoying but everything else so far seems to be much easier compared to OH.

Please tell me there's no other point in the game where I can fall back and need to do OH again.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I would like to tell you that.
I would like to.

There are I think, two opportunities to fall that far to the left from now on. inb4 political puns
The first one you'd have to be verrry unlucky to do.
The second one unluckier still but just watch where your hammer is going if you fall past the bucket.
Basically don't ride the snake.

I doubt i'll play it again, but now that i've got the level of skill I have it seems a shame to stop. My friend is currently trying to beat it and get a quicker time than my first clear (10 hours). So i might repeatedly clear it again to taunt him during the process.
As for that 50 wins cheev, I think i'll leave that.

My tactic for orange hell is to shuffle as far right as possible at each step, then slowwwwly drag and arc Diogenes up and over. Only the final indent section is where I pogo. Honestly I had more trouble getting up to the bell tower, most of my falls past OH happened there.
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

Getting back at gaming, maybe.
For now, aiming for 1 credit clear at Konami's historical japanese fanfic Genpei Touma Den

3 different screen styles, different paths and you'll have to do some currency/swordpower management.
(Most of the features were dropped in the sequel, for some reason)
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

...Namco's? :)