Crestron vs Extron?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
HDgaming42

Crestron vs Extron?

Post by HDgaming42 »

Thanks to this forum I've bought a swack of Extron gear and have been very happy with them. I've recently outgrown my Extron Crosspoint 12x4 (need more outputs!) and while surfing eBay I ran across this:
Spoiler

Crestron CEN-RGBHV8X8
I mean DAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN! I bought it without a second thought ( < $100) and now while I wait for it to ship I'm pondering if there's a reason this unit is barely mentioned on shmups. Is it only because they're typically more money than a similar performing Extron, or is there more?
Is there lag? Does it not handle 15kHz? Is it the hurdle of their automation language? (I've read you can operate this unit by the front panel alone)

I love my Extron, but having a display--and possessing a higher WAF--the Crestron really seems...amazing? Why is no one talking about this? What am I missing? Or are my search abilities really this poor?
SamIAm

Re: Crestron vs Extron?

Post by SamIAm »

You might find this to be interesting reading.

https://www.extron.com/company/article.aspx?id=ao-11

Where I live, there is this big mother waiting for someone to pull the trigger:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/x592947937

I have half a mind to take it since it's so dang cheap (~$30 shipped) and it's got a generous 16x16 inputs and outputs. However, there is ZERO information about it on the internet, and it looks like it might only be controllable with an external unit. It also has no support for audio.

In Japan and the US alike (and I assume Europe as well) there are a few matrix-switch makers, and there might indeed be some scores to be had with lesser-known brands. I'd certainly be interested in a cheap Crestron or Kramer.

PS: Does WAF mean wife acceptance factor?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

That Creston/Kramer unit looks like it has the same capabilities, as far as accepted input goes, to your Extron CrossPoint, so you could very well just daisy-chain them for even more inputs. The linked Extron article about Kramer gear not being as good as Extron gear is probably true, but I doubt it'll really be an issue for you.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

nmalinoski wrote:That Creston/Kramer unit looks like it has the same capabilities, as far as accepted input goes, to your Extron CrossPoint, so you could very well just daisy-chain them for even more inputs. The linked Extron article about Kramer gear not being as good as Extron gear is probably true, but I doubt it'll really be an issue for you.
wait, are Crestron and Kramer the same company? or does Crestron just rebrand Kramer AV gear?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

maxtherabbit wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:That Creston/Kramer unit looks like it has the same capabilities, as far as accepted input goes, to your Extron CrossPoint, so you could very well just daisy-chain them for even more inputs. The linked Extron article about Kramer gear not being as good as Extron gear is probably true, but I doubt it'll really be an issue for you.
wait, are Crestron and Kramer the same company? or does Crestron just rebrand Kramer AV gear?
According to the above link to Extron's site, the specific Creston matrix switcher the OP bought (perhaps the entire line? I didn't read too closely) is simply a Kramer unit with a Creston faceplate, not unlike the badge-engineering the auto industry has seen for decades.
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

SamIAm wrote:You might find this to be interesting reading.

https://www.extron.com/company/article.aspx?id=ao-11

PS: Does WAF mean wife acceptance factor?
Thanks for this--and yes, I meant Wife Acceptance Factor. :)

Truthfully I suspected it might be a re-badged Extron, but looking more closeley the back panel doesn't line up.

That article touches on some valid points, though I could stand a bit of excess heat (it's winter here 8 months of the year--currently -40 degrees Celsius).

I'm guessing it will be fine for my purposes. I'll report back when I've run it through its paces.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

AFAIK, Extron is the only major video gear company that doesn't sell any "turn key" IP, rebadge gear from other companies, or license their IP to other companies.

Of course, that's not always a good thing. Some of my best machines were sold under more than one brand name.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Splozion

Post by Splozion »

Be aware, Crestron gear usually requires an annoying amount of configuration, and their software is not easy to find. That said, it may be fine if you only intend to use the front buttons. I've only used their control system gear, but please keep us updated on how easy they are to use ;)

I think the reason that Extron is preferred is because they're usually cheaper (Extron is a less expensive brand), and there isn't really much difference between them. Crestron stuff usually costs a fair bit more, and requires you to have a dealer to configure it, which means more money.
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

Since there seem to be some pretty knowledgeable people chiming in here, I'll ask the following:

I need to hold the ESC button every time I turn on the Extron to enable me to route anything. It seems to have some configuration loaded that survives resets and extended power outages. If I don't hold ESC (reset) then there are pre-existing routes at play upon power-up.

I get by, but it would be nice to be able to program a few of the routes...
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

HDgaming42 wrote:I need to hold the ESC button every time I turn on the Extron to enable me to route anything. It seems to have some configuration loaded that survives resets and extended power outages. If I don't hold ESC (reset) then there are pre-existing routes at play upon power-up.
You're talking about an Extron Crosspoint? Look in the manual how to reset it - there's usually 3-ish different levels of reset. If that fails I would reinstall the firmware and start from scratch.
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

Dochartaigh wrote:
HDgaming42 wrote:I need to hold the ESC button every time I turn on the Extron to enable me to route anything. It seems to have some configuration loaded that survives resets and extended power outages. If I don't hold ESC (reset) then there are pre-existing routes at play upon power-up.
You're talking about an Extron Crosspoint? Look in the manual how to reset it - there's usually 3-ish different levels of reset. If that fails I would reinstall the firmware and start from scratch.
Well that's just it. The only mention the manual makes of reset is described as below:

Code: Select all

To reset the switcher to the factory default settings, press and hold the Esc buttonon the front panel while AC power is being applied.  Continue to hold the Escbutton until the power up sequence is completed (all LEDs turn off, the Video andAudio LEDs turn on, the Esc LED blinks, and the Power LED (if equipped) turnson).  System reset clears all ties and presets and sets all audio gain levels to unitygain (+0dB).
I can't see any reference to another level of reset. The firmware update procedure seems to require removing the chip. That's waaaay out of my league. :oops:

Edit: Seems I'm not alone, though it doesn't seem like a solution was reached...
https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comm ... your_help/

Edit 2: Oh, this manual is different from the one I got off the Extron website. Indeed it details a different reset method. I'll report back...
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/71903 ... =60#manual
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

No. None of those procedures work. There is a preset where 1 outputs to 1,2,3,4 and unless I power on with ESC held, that is the only routing possible. Tried toggling all 3 (0,1,2) levels of lock to no avail. I wish someone had come back to the reddit thread with the answer... :(
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

From memory there are 2 levels of security on the extron units.
You need to have top level to reset defaults and I think you can only do that via software and pc link.
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

Splozion wrote:Be aware, Crestron gear usually requires an annoying amount of configuration, and their software is not easy to find. That said, it may be fine if you only intend to use the front buttons. I've only used their control system gear, but please keep us updated on how easy they are to use ;)

I think the reason that Extron is preferred is because they're usually cheaper (Extron is a less expensive brand), and there isn't really much difference between them. Crestron stuff usually costs a fair bit more, and requires you to have a dealer to configure it, which means more money.
You're not kidding. It appear you need a password to even enter the menu system. Wow.

The inputs don't line up on the LCD. I press #1 and it reads input #3. They all ascend from there. Can't fathom why or how that would be helpful. Oh well--won't have time to wire it up for a day or two--will report back then!
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

I'm not a fan. Not a fan at all. I can only conclude my unit is defective. I've factory reset it (thank god the password was the default "12345") and yet still:

1. The inputs are incremented by 2. For instance, physical input 1 registers as input 3. 2 as 4 and so on.
2. It forwards no composite video.
3. It forwards no component video.
4. It forwards RGBS but with altered video (colors are shifted and overdriven, even with proper termination)
5. It doesn't detect sync from *any* source--claiming both populated inputs and empty inputs are all sending 0.0Khz Hsync and 37Hz Vsync.

It has to be defective. Kramer/Crestron stuff isn't *this* bad is it? Or am I overlooking something obvious?

HALP! :shock:
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

HDgaming42 wrote:1. The inputs are incremented by 2. For instance, physical input 1 registers as input 3. 2 as 4 and so on.
Pop it open and see if the front panel was miswired?
Splozion

Post by Splozion »

HDgaming42 wrote:I'm not a fan. Not a fan at all. I can only conclude my unit is defective. I've factory reset it (thank god the password was the default "12345") and yet still:

1. The inputs are incremented by 2. For instance, physical input 1 registers as input 3. 2 as 4 and so on.
2. It forwards no composite video.
3. It forwards no component video.
4. It forwards RGBS but with altered video (colors are shifted and overdriven, even with proper termination)
5. It doesn't detect sync from *any* source--claiming both populated inputs and empty inputs are all sending 0.0Khz Hsync and 37Hz Vsync.

It has to be defective. Kramer/Crestron stuff isn't *this* bad is it? Or am I overlooking something obvious?

HALP! :shock:
What info does the crestron toolbox show you? There's a good chance the existing program (if it can act as a control unit as well as a switcher) is setup strangely/specifically.
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

Splozion wrote:What info does the crestron toolbox show you? There's a good chance the existing program (if it can act as a control unit as well as a switcher) is setup strangely/specifically.
This looked like a good resource but only a bit of it was crawled:
https://web.archive.org/web/20180129004 ... ernet.html

Here's what comes up:
nmalinoski wrote:
HDgaming42 wrote:1. The inputs are incremented by 2. For instance, physical input 1 registers as input 3. 2 as 4 and so on.
Pop it open and see if the front panel was miswired?
That's a great idea. I've verified with Crestron Toolbox that 1 is 1, etc. It also identifies as a 16x16, when it is infact an 8x8. I'm wondering if someone flashed the wrong firmware...

I'm at a bit of a loss. Nothing within easyconfig jumps out at me as this being a control unit. Should I opt for the "File Initialize"? Is that the same as the factory reset performed via the front panel, or deeper?

Edit: Filesystem-->Initialize results in "unknown error" and Compact results in a timeout.

Edit 2: Took the lip off (there always has to be one stripped screw!). I don't think the mis-numbering is a wiring issue.

Lots of LEDs on the inside. All green except a flashing DS42.
Splozion

Post by Splozion »

HDgaming42 wrote: Here's what comes up:
Can you post a screenshot of the System Info screen? that's usually more detailed.
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

Splozion wrote:
HDgaming42 wrote: Here's what comes up:
Can you post a screenshot of the System Info screen? that's usually more detailed.
Sure thing. Tried to grab everything potentially pertinent. The file system seems to be empty. I wasn't expecting that...

BTW, I contacted Crestron True Blue support and they said the unit was discontinued and not supported for repair. They did mention a firmware flash might fix it and suggested I get in touch with my local Crestron agent. I did that, and initially she told me "we don't service what we didn't sell", but when I mentioned it was 15+ years old she ran it past the techs to see if they would be willing to take a look. Apparently the techs said "nope".

So here I am.
Spoiler
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

I hate to beg, but--I'm begging. Does *anyone* have access to the Crestron FTP or website downloads section? I firmware flash is about the last hope for this thing before it becomes scrap metal.

Local dealers blew me off. True Blue support blew me off.

Contrast that with Extron who have called me twice, and have escalated an issue with a 10+ year discontinued piece of hardware to their engineers as their first two levels of support didn't have the answer. For a unit I paid $10 for on eBay.

At this point I don't have much good to say about Crestron, that's for sure. :(
Splozion

Post by Splozion »

Those screenshots do suggest that there's some reporting going wrong, since as you've mentioned sync is reading the same (and weird) on all channels.

There is a user on here that has access, but they've not been on the forum since December, so I'd imagine that they don't check much. I forget the name, but I believe you posted in a thread on it. I'm in much the same place, having used torrented 10y+ old versions of the software to program my Crestron system, thankfully everything I use was functioning correctly. I just don't think Crestron cares, which makes sense given the business model. Target audience of Extron vs Crestron seems to be different.

I do mean to try and act as a company IT department at some point and ask for them to make an enterprise partner account for me, but I've not been had the time to call during normal business hours. I'm not a fan of the restriction personally, nor the way that every dealer I've seen talking online seems to act about giving it out. Seems you need to know somebody.

I appreciate that this probably isn't a useful response, but it may be a bit of a fight, with some reward at the end.
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

Splozion wrote:I do mean to try and act as a company IT department at some point and ask for them to make an enterprise partner account for me, but I've not been had the time to call during normal business hours. I'm not a fan of the restriction personally, nor the way that every dealer I've seen talking online seems to act about giving it out. Seems you need to know somebody.

I appreciate that this probably isn't a useful response, but it may be a bit of a fight, with some reward at the end.
I'm happy for *any* response this thread gets! :D

If you do find the time to get an account, drop back by and let me know. I believe I have everything needed other than the specific firmware.

I wonder if it could be cross-flashed to the Kramer unit it is a clone of...
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

Someone was gracious enough to send me in the right direction for a firmware. Flashed it. No change. The hardware itself is misreporting inputs and frequencies. Off to the recycling center she goes. Another eBay dud.
ShmupJunkie

Post by ShmupJunkie »

Sorry to hear it was a hardware issue and you had a bad unit. Those old RGBHV switchers were a bit before my time so I didn’t use them much (although we did use their PVID component switch a lot pre-hdmi) I’ve been programming and engineering crestron systems since back in 2003 and there isn’t likely a question I can’t answer on it, so if anyone on the forums has questions about it feel free to PM me. I get pretty busy so I may not always check regularly but I’ll always respond when I can. The crestron gear is awesome (especially all the DM product) but it’s really only for those with the existing programming experience to use. And their support is only for dealers as it can only be purchased through them, so most end users won’t get very far with them. While some of their stuff does have basic manual routing on front panels and even flexible PC software (like DM) that anyone can figure out, it’s usually a small part of what it can actually do when programming it on the back end. I use multiple DM switches in my gaming setup because I can, and in all honesty, there are fabulous eBay deals out there for used DM switches and cards. And anyone with the right PC software (toolbox) can do a ton with it. But if you run into issues as an end user, support isn’t readily available to you and good luck getting a dealer to give you the time of day. They are busy with massive commercial projects and aren’t set up to help residential consumers with minor requests. I’m just here to enjoy and share in a mutual hobby. ; ) I can attest that Crestron has amazing engineering and tech support... for dealers. They’re always available when we need it and they overnight replacement parts like nobody’s business. That’s why they have such a loyal dealer base. But it’s a professional/dealer based product so consumer beware. When you buy it used you’re pretty much on your own. I’m happy to be a resource for questions and assist, but even I can’t post software or protected files as it’s a huge no no for dealers. No dealership would risk their account for it. So if anyone is buying used crestron gear, and your buddy next door isn’t a dealer or programmer, please know the risks. You’ll likely be on your own if issues arise.
Creating Shmup Content for the Masses
https://www.youtube.com/shmupjunkie
Splozion

Post by Splozion »

movietimepro wrote:I’m happy to be a resource for questions and assist, but even I can’t post software or protected files as it’s a huge no no for dealers. No dealership would risk their account for it. So if anyone is buying used crestron gear, and your buddy next door isn’t a dealer or programmer, please know the risks. You’ll likely be on your own if issues arise.
Do you have any idea why the software is protected so much? I've managed to learn how to program my used 2-series gear and a touchpanel but I'm limited because I can't get updated programming environments for the better (but still out of date) touchpanels that I own. I don't really get it, when so many other fields (including competitors to crestron) have their software available to anyone.

The stuff is extremely powerful, but it's prohibitive of any hobbyists using it (and thus recommending it to businesses) if you can't start with out of date equipment. I've not found any of the programming environments difficult to use. Getting started took a while, but it's not insurmountable, despite a lack of access.
ShmupJunkie

Post by ShmupJunkie »

Sorry for the slow reply as I’ve been pretty busy. You partially answered your own question actually. A hobbyist would enjoy marketing their talents and abilities to potential companies. That’s exactly what many Crestron dealers do not want and they have a very large influence as they bring crestron the business. They have to invest a large amount of money in product and training to become a dealer. In return they want assurance they aren’t undersold online or have competition from anyone but other dealers that made the same investment. I can’t say I agree with the sentiment which is why I’m here and glad to help within what I’m allowed. There is zero restriction on sharing knowledge and providing assistance... just a line that can’t be crossed into protected software.

Also consider that as a hobbyist, even if one were to have software access, the resources needed to purchase current gen hardware without dealer pricing and the lab space necessary to setup and train with it is prohibitive to most. If the goal is to reach a competence level on your own to be able to market oneself to companies, and compete against established dealers in any realm besides price... one would be hard pressed to get very far before hitting a wall. One would need a wide variety of their most common products to practice with which quickly becomes price prohibitive for current gen hardware. One could simply find work for a dealer and get free training, free access to hardware, and the opportunity to work on systems without buying it all themselves. A hobbyist would be hard pressed to compete with an established company for anything but very small projects, which is why I see no reason at all to block hobbyists out or prevent them from access. I’d much rather have a larger pool of potential programmers to hire because of software availability. As it is crestron programmers are few and far between, and very good ones even more rare. And the ones that are truly great rightfully charge a lot for their time. I code most of our projects myself for that reason.

With all due respect to Extron which is a fantastic company that we also deal with, Crestron is a different beast as it not only requires knowledge of the hardware but also a very significant time investment on the programming side if covering their vast amount of SKUs. While Crestron makes their money mostly selling product, they are really a software company. The back end coding of their product is what differentiates them from competition and why they own the commercial automation market. Other companies make awesome hardware, but the Crestron software is what allows one to do virtually anything with it. It’s completely custom and allows you to write your own code. Crestron is what will allow an extron, Lutron, polycom, biamp, etc to all talk to each other over a unified interface and then flush your toilet automatically when you leave the room. Supporting that is also a challenge so I can imagine how their support staff would have to grow were they to open up support beyond dealers. That can be monetized of course by charging for support, but I get the feeling they’d prefer not to even open that can of worms.

If there are questions I can help answer in regard to their product specifics or even programming, that’s something I’m happy to do on these forums as time permits. My response was a lot more long winded than I intended... sorry about that.
Creating Shmup Content for the Masses
https://www.youtube.com/shmupjunkie
Splozion

Post by Splozion »

movietimepro wrote:Sorry for the slow reply as I’ve been pretty busy. You partially answered your own question actually. A hobbyist would enjoy marketing their talents and abilities to potential companies. That’s exactly what many Crestron dealers do not want and they have a very large influence as they bring crestron the business. They have to invest a large amount of money in product and training to become a dealer. In return they want assurance they aren’t undersold online or have competition from anyone but other dealers that made the same investment. I can’t say I agree with the sentiment which is why I’m here and glad to help within what I’m allowed. There is zero restriction on sharing knowledge and providing assistance... just a line that can’t be crossed into protected software.

Also consider that as a hobbyist, even if one were to have software access, the resources needed to purchase current gen hardware without dealer pricing and the lab space necessary to setup and train with it is prohibitive to most. If the goal is to reach a competence level on your own to be able to market oneself to companies, and compete against established dealers in any realm besides price... one would be hard pressed to get very far before hitting a wall. One would need a wide variety of their most common products to practice with which quickly becomes price prohibitive for current gen hardware. One could simply find work for a dealer and get free training, free access to hardware, and the opportunity to work on systems without buying it all themselves. A hobbyist would be hard pressed to compete with an established company for anything but very small projects, which is why I see no reason at all to block hobbyists out or prevent them from access. I’d much rather have a larger pool of potential programmers to hire because of software availability. As it is crestron programmers are few and far between, and very good ones even more rare. And the ones that are truly great rightfully charge a lot for their time. I code most of our projects myself for that reason.

With all due respect to Extron which is a fantastic company that we also deal with, Crestron is a different beast as it not only requires knowledge of the hardware but also a very significant time investment on the programming side if covering their vast amount of SKUs. While Crestron makes their money mostly selling product, they are really a software company. The back end coding of their product is what differentiates them from competition and why they own the commercial automation market. Other companies make awesome hardware, but the Crestron software is what allows one to do virtually anything with it. It’s completely custom and allows you to write your own code. Crestron is what will allow an extron, Lutron, polycom, biamp, etc to all talk to each other over a unified interface and then flush your toilet automatically when you leave the room. Supporting that is also a challenge so I can imagine how their support staff would have to grow were they to open up support beyond dealers. That can be monetized of course by charging for support, but I get the feeling they’d prefer not to even open that can of worms.

If there are questions I can help answer in regard to their product specifics or even programming, that’s something I’m happy to do on these forums as time permits. My response was a lot more long winded than I intended... sorry about that.
Thanks for the answer, it wasn't especially long winded.

I get that the extra support is not something they want, personally (as I can't speak for everyone) I'd just prefer to have a little more access to using the older equipment I have (I'm not interested in selling my expertise, much less undercutting dealers). The programming (so far) has been fairly straightforward, but this is coming from an engineering background. My issue is that I can't get the "latest" software when relating to discontinued products.

As an example, I have some TPMC-4XG WiFi touchpanels that I can't use because the version of VT-Pro I have is from 2008/9. It only has support for the TPMC-4X, which uses an older WiFi encryption standard and try as I might I cannot get it to connect to my network(even with era-appropriate APs). I've worked around this by using an MT-1000C, which is only a 1-way panel so I have to work around a lack of any feedback from the controller. It feels like a needless limitation compared to say...AMX, who gives their latest programming environment without any kind of login for their site (this was the comparison I was referring to, Extron I don't really see as quite the same type of manufacturer). AMX isn't without its faults I'm sure, but it's more accessible right from the start.

I am happy with my setup, as any hardware limitations I can work around with serial control to external micro-controllers, talking to other Extron devices or even just slaving extra processors (I have a PRO2 and an AV2). The research I did to get this far was worthwhile, if slightly disappointing on the software side. Configuration software of this nature is rarely difficult to work with, it's not super tricky compared to some.
strayan

Post by strayan »

I just bought a Crestron HD-Scaler for $40on ebay. It comes without a remote so I have one on order.

I think it might DOA though because it literally does nothing when plugged in. No lights on the front to indicate it’s getting power whatsoever and no signal detected when connected to my TV.

Can anyone with a working unit let me know if there should be some indication that the unit is getting power?
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

strayan wrote:I just bought a Crestron HD-Scaler for $40on ebay. It comes without a remote so I have one on order.

I think it might DOA though because it literally does nothing when plugged in. No lights on the front to indicate it’s getting power whatsoever and no signal detected when connected to my TV.

Can anyone with a working unit let me know if there should be some indication that the unit is getting power?
I don't have the unit, so I can't test for you. But there isn't a "power" button on the remote, so I'd assume it would power up when plugging in. No lights in the front suggest it's not powered. Check the power supply for validity? Open it up and check for issues? Is there a fuse inside?